Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2011-04-30 6:53 AM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!

Thanks Tim!  I don't think I am going to worry about my coffee.  I only drink one cup a day and I like it with the flavored creamer but I don't add sugar.  I am just going to leave that alone for now. 

We are really really struggling with Joe right now and I hope a change in diet helps some.  Luckily my mom is on board completely with this.  She has them when we work so that was important.

2011-04-30 6:26 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Good luck tomorrow Sandra!!!!  Miss you around here!  Can't wait until you are back and hear about your race!
2011-04-30 8:16 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Tim...nice job on the marathon today!  Can't wait to hear about it!
2011-04-30 8:23 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Picked up my bike this morning and had a quick lesson with the owner of the bike shop.  We learned real quick that I will keep my left foot locked in and clip in and out when needed with my right foot.  He had me do my right a few times and then my left.  I struggled immediatly with my left foot but did better when he loosened the tension.  I know I struggled with the left because of my achilles.  I hope to get just as comfortable clipping in and out with both feet but I will probably end up staying in with my left foot most of the time.  I am hoping to hit up a parking lot tomorrow if my hubby is not too hungover when he gets home from his 24 hour trip away with the rugby guys! 
2011-05-01 7:40 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Meggan - Sounds awesome!  Good luck!  It's not easy, and you will fall.  But then you'll get back up and try again!

Does anybody know how Sandra did?  I've been waiting to see!

I'm hoping to get your guys' help on some stuff, too.  I think I'm going to back out of the HIM for this summer.  My knee hurt again on the run this morning, and I just don't think any intense training will be in the cards.  I"m really disappointed because of how well my training was going until this knee thing, so I'm having a tough time trying to decide.  I'd love your input on my pros/cons list, as well as any additions of your own.

Pros to doing the race - really really really want to, Ryan is doing it too, family coming to watch it, know I CAN do it, been looking forward to it for a long time, and if I don't do it now, probably won't be able to train for one for a couple years because of the BAR exam next summer!

Cons to doing the race - missed/bad training, not sure about my knee, don't want to disappoint myself, lack of race practice, won't be able to watch Ryan race, it would be my only tri of the season because of funds (if I did the sprint instead, I could use the saved money to do an Oly or something in June or August)

My training this week has been just MISERABLE.  My long ride yesterday was supposed to be 2.5 hours and it ended up being 1.25 because I was dizzy and tired.  My runs have been so hard (as in, lots of walking and panting and just being miserable), and my knee has been hurting on top of it all lately.  I'm going to make another appointment with the doctor, but it'll have to wait until after exams are over.  Until then, I think I'm done with running.  I've also been really tired lately and lethargic.  I just haven't wanted to do much of anything, and I've been sleeping more than I ever have.  That's so unusual for me.  Any thoughts on my case of the blahs?

Thanks a bunch guys.  I appreciate your help!

2011-05-02 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Meggan, good to see you out and about on the bike! I hope you enjoy it and hope to hear about your improvements on the bike as you get more experience.

Erica, since I've been dealing with the knee issue too, I would lean towards not doing it until you get that issue corrected.  Knees are crazy tricky things and I would hate to see you do some serious damage just for a race.  Any thoughts about finding a racing partner and doing it as a relay (if they allow that)?  You do the swim/bike and have your partner do the run.  This way you still still train/race and would more than likely still get to see Ryan crossing the finish line.

As for the lethargy...could it be that you are right at the end of a busy school year and your mind/body is just wore out and ready for a break.  My work is tough mentally and I find that I can get more tired from just being mentally exhausted.  That is why I had to take a week and a half off recently just to refresh my mind.

2011-05-02 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

I was scared to death to get on my bike yesterday guys!  After chickening out, I got some tips from a woman in my tri club.  She told me to start out with one foot clipped in and a sneaker on my other foot.  I did that with my right foot clipped in and rode around the blocks around our house for about 10 minutes.  A few hours later after dinner, I did the same with my left foot clipped in.  I was ready to go after that and had no problems with both feet clipped in!  I am definitely better unclipping with my right foot and will plan on keeping my left clipped in and the right will come in and out.  I do want to get to the point where I am just as good with my left but I need to strengthen that Achilles!

2011-05-03 8:37 AM

User image

Veteran

Wow! sounds like everyone is staying busy!

Any word on how Sandra did?

I am running a 5K this coming weekend and another one next weekend. I am excited about them. Hope everyone is doing good! Cannot wait for the weather to warm up around here. It has been unseasonably cold. On a fun note we are going to see Jimmy Buffett tonight. Should be a good time!

2011-05-03 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Jimmy Buffett on a school night?!  Is that safe? Wink  If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain...
2011-05-04 6:07 AM
in reply to: #3479359

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
debbiereid06 - 2011-05-03 8:37 AM

Wow! sounds like everyone is staying busy!

Any word on how Sandra did?

I am running a 5K this coming weekend and another one next weekend. I am excited about them. Hope everyone is doing good! Cannot wait for the weather to warm up around here. It has been unseasonably cold. On a fun note we are going to see Jimmy Buffett tonight. Should be a good time!

So cool!  My brother and bestest friend in the world were there, too!  Crazy parrotheads.  I guess I'm out of the loop!

2011-05-04 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3476465

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

alright, here I am again, it has been a crazy couple of weeks.  Mexico was fantabulous, the move into our new place went relatively smoothly and yes I completed my first marathon:-)

Monday and yesterday I spent the days mulling over the race and wanting a do over and here is why.  When I returned from Mexico, my running partner and the person I was going to run the race with, let me know that she would not be doing the race due to IT band issues.  I'm not a big fan of running by myself and hooked up with a couple of other running friends, but they run at a much slower pace than I.  I ran a little over half of the marathon with them, when I just couldn't take the pace anymore (close to 8min/km) and let them know I was going off on my own.  I had a much faster 2nd half, but because I was on my feet for so long already, I couldn't make up for all the lost time at a slower pace.  There is another local marathon on May 29th, but I'm not sure if it is a wise idea to run another so soon...thoughts? 

In the end, I did what I set out to do, complete a full marathon race and I will do another, probably next year, because my current plan is to focus on more cross training and running shorter distances and working on speed a bit and thinking about another Tri, maybe this fall after hubby's IM in August.

It looks like I have a lot of reading and catching up to do over the next week, to find out what everyone has been up to.  Meggan congrats on the new bike!

2011-05-05 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Welcome back Sandra!  Glad everything went so well for you.  Not many people can say they vacationed in Mexico, moved into a new house, and completed a marathon all within a week!  Where in Mexico did you go?  Did you just relax or do any site-seeing.  How is the new house coming along?

Sorry the marathon didn't go exactly as planned but it's another notch on the old belt.  I think you could do the one on the 29th, but I wouldn't push it hard as if it was an A race. 

2011-05-05 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3483178

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

I went to the Mayan Riviera, we didn't do much site seeing, aside from a day shopping in Playa Del Carmen, our days were filled with lying on a beach chair under a palapa, stairing out at the ocean, sipping margarita's.  Eating, drinking and salsa lessons/dancing, comprised the rest our our day.

We are now pretty much settled into our new home, it was hard finding a place for everything, despite the fact that we sold  a lot of our stuff off before the move, downsizing from 3500sq ft to 1400sq ft forces you to find space or decide how much you really like something.  But I love the new place, it fits so much more with our lifestyle and no more yard work!

I've decided against doing the May 29th marathon, and just sticking to my original post marathon plans.  I joined WW the other day, to start working on that last 20 lbs that has been hanging around for the past year and I'll start doing TRX 2-3 times a week as well as yoga starting next week.  I will do another marathon next spring.

2011-05-05 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

Congrats Sandra!!!  I am sorry it was not the marathon you envisioned but there will always be a next one!  I am glad you decided against the marathon in a few weeks.  I am sure you could do it but I would be afraid of another injury like you had last year.  Just rest up and go with your original plan!

Glad you had a great vacation and the move went smoothly.  Sounds like a great time.

2011-05-06 3:23 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I have my big ride tomorrow!  It's all in one direction and we're supposed to have a 10-15mph headwind the entire time.  I am hoping to get in a group and draft off some people to save some energy.  I'll be leaving the house at 550am, riding from 7a til probably 1-2pm, then eating/drinking for a while, then hopping on the last bus ride back to Austin around 530pm.  Probably won't be back home until 7-730pm.  Long day but I am ready to do it!
2011-05-07 8:45 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

T1 - ride details, please!

Sandra - I agree that the marathon that soon is not a great idea.  Recover, train more, and you'll rock your next one!  Also, I'm jealous of your vacation.  I could REALLY use one right now!

TWO more exams, then I'm done for the semester!

2011-05-08 4:19 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Put my race report up here.  It is pretty long so I won't put it up here.  Let's just say it was a very interesting day, but I did it!!

By far, the hardest thing I have ever done in my life!!!

Edited by chichitao 2011-05-08 4:23 PM
2011-05-08 5:45 PM
in reply to: #3488030

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
chichitao - 2011-05-08 5:19 PM

Put my race report up here.  It is pretty long so I won't put it up here.  Let's just say it was a very interesting day, but I did it!!

By far, the hardest thing I have ever done in my life!!!

Sounds like a hell of a day, Tim! Congrats on finishing, even through all the adversity! A lesser man would have definitely thrown in the towel.

I think I speak for all of us when I say that I'm proud of you for toughing it out, and you did a great job!

2011-05-09 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Wow Tim! You are amazing, because I probably would have quit!
2011-05-09 2:10 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Thanks guys!  It was fun and brutal at the same time.  Feels good knowing I pushed through and finished.  Wounds are healing up nicely.

I was going to try and swim today but not sure I want to get in the pool with the wounds not fully healed up yet. 

2011-05-09 5:00 PM
in reply to: #3488030

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Holy crap Tim, that sounded like quite the ordeal!! Way to push through it and come out the end with a great story of physical/mental strength!  You are an inspiration!

2011-05-10 3:23 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

So what is everyone up to? 

Gonna head back out on the bike tonight for my regular Tue night ride.  We'll see how everything feels. 

2011-05-10 3:26 PM
in reply to: #3492152

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
chichitao - 2011-05-10 4:23 PM

So what is everyone up to? 

Gonna head back out on the bike tonight for my regular Tue night ride.  We'll see how everything feels. 

Good on ya for getting back on the horse so soon!

I'm going for my first outdoor ride since last fall. This will be interesting Hopefully everything goes well. Luckily, we're doing it on the closed course F1 track, so no worries about traffic and lights! 

I'm completely untrained for my half marathon coming up in 2.5 weeks, so that'll be interesting. I'm banking on residual fitness from the 30k... Fingers crossed! I'm also tossing up doing a sprint 2 weeks after (completely for fun... apparently it's a nice race, and it's one that my team tapers to, so it'd be good to actually do). Thoughts from anyone?

2011-05-11 7:45 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

The cycling gods don't want me riding my bike right now for some reason! 

Went riding last night with the group.  It rained right before we started but it was brief and the roads dried quickly so we set out.  Consider it hasn't rained here in months and we are in the worst 6mo drought in our recorded history.  Anyway, got about 2/3 of the route done when a storm rolled in and the lightning started.  A bolt ended up hitting right across the street from us and blew out a transformer.  Another cyclist I was riding with got shocked on her hand.  We quickly rode another mile to pull into a parking garage but it had already started raining and we were pretty wet.  Ended up waiting in the garage for a good 15min and finally decided to head out as it was slowing down and we were running out of daylight.  Rode very slowly back as the roads were soaked and it is hilly.  Made it back just before dark without any other major incident.  What a ride. 

2011-05-11 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3493015

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

you really are having a time of it with the biking right now Tim, but it doesn't seem to be stopping you, which is either a great show of mental strength of stupidity:p...I'm going to go with Mental Strength!

I'm still trying to catch up on life, keep my running group site up to date (https://sites.google.com/site/chatruncrew/??)? ?and get everything settled with the new home, turns out our main bathroom shower only has hot water right now, so the 3 of us are sharing one shower until they come and fix it(hopefully today). 

Still managed to get in a couple of runs, join a new fitness facility that offers yoga and TRX classes, and am on track with my WW plan(down 3.8lbs my first week!)

My husband is starting his IM training in earnest this week, so I'll be doing what I can to support him.

My focus for the next while will be, getting to my goal weight, doing more strength/core work and building up my speed/cardio in my running again, I seemed to have lost a lot of that, nursing injuries and doing all the long distance runs. 

I also still need to have a quiet evening or weekend afternoon, so I can catch up on what everyone else has been up to here at BT.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103