of 150

2011-04-25 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3465272

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
popsracer - 2011-04-25 4:40 PM
trigal38 - 2011-04-25 4:05 PM

Caught a break in the rain and managed the 2 hour ride/30 min run portion of the race day prep workout. Now it is raining again so I feel really lucky to get that workout in. 

Man my legs feel terrible when I get off that bike. They always have. I really tried to maintain an easy pace during the ride - kept holding myself back thinking RPE 2. Had a little wind and some rolling hills but I geared down and kept my spinning easy. I got off the bike and felt like my legs were rubber bands going every which way. I was so frustrated. I just kept running though and pretty soon they felt much better. I finished the run really strong and not even tired so that made me feel a little better. Does anybody else struggle with rubber legs?

Just about everyone struggles with rubbery legs off the bike. I do not think it is possible to train to the point where you do not feel that. It is normal. And it is normal for the feeling to go away after a mile or two. We practice transition runs to mentally learn to deal with it not so much that it eventually goes away. It may diminish a bit but I've never heard of it totally going away.

My friend I train with says her legs do not feel like that so I thought I must be doing something wrong. She is a stronger cyclists than me and has been racing triathlons for a long time.

2011-04-25 5:42 PM
in reply to: #3465287

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
trigal38 - 2011-04-25 4:47 PM

Caught a break in the rain and managed the 2 hour ride/30 min run portion of the race day prep workout. Now it is raining again so I feel really lucky to get that workout in. 

Man my legs feel terrible when I get off that bike. They always have. I really tried to maintain an easy pace during the ride - kept holding myself back thinking RPE 2. Had a little wind and some rolling hills but I geared down and kept my spinning easy. I got off the bike and felt like my legs were rubber bands going every which way. I was so frustrated. I just kept running though and pretty soon they felt much better. I finished the run really strong and not even tired so that made me feel a little better. Does anybody else struggle with rubber legs?

Just about everyone struggles with rubbery legs off the bike. I do not think it is possible to train to the point where you do not feel that. It is normal. And it is normal for the feeling to go away after a mile or two. We practice transition runs to mentally learn to deal with it not so much that it eventually goes away. It may diminish a bit but I've never heard of it totally going away.

My friend I train with says her legs do not feel like that so I thought I must be doing something wrong. She is a stronger cyclists than me and has been racing triathlons for a long time.

Your friend is a liar.
2011-04-25 5:46 PM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake

Last full week of training before the taper starts! Starting to stress already about "should have done this missed that, need more of this". Keep telling myself that there is not much more I can do at this point but put 100% in this week and be confident in the work that has gone into the last 17+ weeks!

Help me stay sane!

2011-04-25 5:54 PM
in reply to: #3465391

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
wozin8or - 2011-04-25 5:46 PM

Last full week of training before the taper starts! Starting to stress already about "should have done this missed that, need more of this". Keep telling myself that there is not much more I can do at this point but put 100% in this week and be confident in the work that has gone into the last 17+ weeks!

Help me stay sane!

I know it doesn't help your situation but when you talk about this it really motivates me at six weeks out to really put the hammer down in my training while it can still do some good. As was posted earlier, its called taper madness for a reason.
2011-04-25 6:00 PM
in reply to: #3465385

User image

Bronze member
popsracer - 2011-04-25 5:42 PM
trigal38 - 2011-04-25 4:47 PM

Your friend is a liar.

Ha ha ha!!!!

2011-04-25 6:02 PM
in reply to: #3465391

User image

Bronze member
wozin8or - 2011-04-25 5:46 PM

Help me stay sane!

Relax and enjoy your taper. Look back on all those months of training and how far you've come!

2011-04-25 8:17 PM
in reply to: #3459244

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!

from intense chemotherapy and I just wanted to hobble through this little race to prove I was back. Through the grace of God it's been an amazing year of rebuilding and I'm shooting to be in the top 10% Saturday.

Glad to read you beat it!

2011-04-25 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3459388

User image

Veteran
trigal38 - 2011-04-21 3:43 PM

Steve, good luck in your race. It is amazing how far you have come!

I had my 1000 TT today. I was pumped and ready for this today. I even wore a watch so I could check my time against the pace clock. I worked my tail off on that set, nailed my flip turns (until the very end), kept working harder throughout the set. My lungs, legs and abs were burning. I even started to feel a little sick but I kept working harder. I had a goal to be under 16:00 min. My last 1000 TT I had a chest cold and couldn't flip turn at all. My time that day was 16:15. Got to the end and stopped my watch, I was so afraid to look. Time said - 15:25.

Now of course I think I missed a lap . LOL - I'm never satisfied! I don't really think I could have made up 5 seconds per 100. Oh well, at least I know I did my absolute best and left it all in the pool. I was hanging on the lane line gasping for air when that set was over!

Wow! that's smoking fast! Congrats!

2011-04-25 8:24 PM
in reply to: #3461027

User image

Veteran
DV 1 - 2011-04-22 1:28 PM

As I spend the day doing odds and ends, it's my recovery day, I feel somewhat guilty for not having an activity. It's silly, but I feel like a couch bum knowing that I won't be working up a sweat today unless I glisten during my P90X stretch routine. I've realized, however, that these days of recovery are the mental and physical break that helps motivate max effort during days of training.

End of week 4 is tomorrow with the last of my, "get out and enjoy the bike ride" rides. Hills and intervals are in my future!

Are you doing all of P90X in addition to BT plan? I just got the DVDs and was wondering if it would be too much.

2011-04-25 8:29 PM
in reply to: #3463537

User image

Veteran

JG_GreenCoast - 2011-04-24 8:09 PM Well...I met with my run coach and start a 20 week training plan for Berlin Marathon tomorrow! I'll just be focusing on running and will miss you guys!  I'm definitely a triathlete at heart and will be back...just after this other goal of mine.  3 hours here i come!

Good luck!!

2011-04-25 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3463540

User image

Veteran
neurocyclist - 2011-04-24 8:15 PM

I was blasting down a hill today at 30+ mph with the local tri club when I got this crazy idea to do a half in about 5 months.

LMAO!!! Now, *that's* one way to decide Laughing.  Mine was at a restaurant when I overheard gal #1 ask gal #2 "how was Steelhead?" Gal 2 said "I finished it." Voila.  I'm doing that too. ( btw, "what's Steelhead?")  LOL

Five months is more than enough time to get you there with the swim.  Good luck!

2011-04-25 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3465733

User image

TX
trainforacure - 2011-04-25 8:33 PM

I was blasting down a hill today at 30+ mph with the local tri club when I got this crazy idea to do a half in about 5 months.

LMAO!!! Now, *that's* one way to decide Laughing.  Mine was at a restaurant when I overheard gal #1 ask gal #2 "how was Steelhead?" Gal 2 said "I finished it." Voila.  I'm doing that too. ( btw, "what's Steelhead?")  LOL

Five months is more than enough time to get you there with the swim.  Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement.  I actually pulled out a mile OWS today with the tri club!  Straight through!  I didn't know I could do that!  That's what I love about training in groups - they push you to do your best.  Definitely a confidence booster.

2011-04-25 9:13 PM

User image

Regular
Beaumont, Alberta
what a glorious day here in Alberta - 17C, sunny but strong SE wind. Switched my around the Mon & Tue training schedules (Wk 14) to take advantage of the weather - good choice, as tomorrow its going to rain here apparently. What a difference it makes to ride in the sunshine in cycling shorts/top and no neoprene covers over my shoes!!! First time this year - it was awesome. The 30ish min run after was also liberating and felt strong and controlled throughout. Tomorrow is swim day - can't wait!!! Bring on the rain - LOLWink
2011-04-27 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3465733

User image

Expert
trainforacure - 2011-04-25 8:33 PM

Woo-hoo! Another Steelheader! I've seen several of us here on the forum-- hope your training's going well!

2011-04-27 3:20 PM

User image

Bronze member

Just checking in. How is everybody doing this week?

2011-04-27 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3469745

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly

I'm in Week 7 and pushing the mileage hard.  Had to rearrange a couple of workouts, but I will hit them all.  Weather in the East has been humid, which has been a real challenge, but good practice for the race in June.  Been experimenting with hydration and nutrition this week and have had to dramatically up my fluid intake.  Last week, I took in 1.5 bottles of fluid during my 90 minute run, this week I just about polished of all four.

The highlight of my week will be running a mile with my daughter and her first grade class.  Best part is that she's gunning to be the fastest girl in the grade.Smile

2011-04-27 7:26 PM

User image

Elite

So I'm new to Tris. I've Mt. Biked for the last 15 years. Grew up swimming. Hate running. But I got off the couch at the end of last year and gave it a try. I signed up for the Boulder 70.3 in August. I don't know squat about training. I'm running 6 miles twice a week,  I did 12 once. Can bike 30-40 miles easy. Swimming 2500 yards twice a week. Last week I did a Oly distance brick.

What I really want to know is what distances should I be training at to do a HIM? I realize I will be ramping up some more, but I have no idea what I should be shooting for in July.

I don't mind biking and swimming, but I want to limit running... but obviously I want to be trained to do it. As I 'm sure you all know it's tough trying to figure out how to fit it all in.

2011-04-27 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3469908

User image

Bronze member
JoePetto - 2011-04-27 4:28 PM

I'm in Week 7 and pushing the mileage hard.  Had to rearrange a couple of workouts, but I will hit them all.  Weather in the East has been humid, which has been a real challenge, but good practice for the race in June.  Been experimenting with hydration and nutrition this week and have had to dramatically up my fluid intake.  Last week, I took in 1.5 bottles of fluid during my 90 minute run, this week I just about polished of all four.

The highlight of my week will be running a mile with my daughter and her first grade class.  Best part is that she's gunning to be the fastest girl in the grade.Smile

That's really cute about your daughter and it sounds fun!

I ran my 90 min run tonight without a drink of anything. Of course it was pouring rain, thundering and 55 degrees. Didn't make me very thirsty LOL!

2011-04-27 8:07 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Just wait Joe. I did my recent 5k with my daughter and I thought I could break her about the two mile mark but she hung on and outkicked me at the end. She is 23 and we have an intense rivalry. Yeah, you wait Joe, she'll be gunning for you someday.
2011-04-27 8:13 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I'm in week 6 with a 2 hour run tomorrow, a long ride this weekend then a much needed week of recovery. I'm really putting the hammer down this 3 week build period. I want to be able to rest assured that during my taper I'd have done all I could.
2011-04-27 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3470133

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
powerman - 2011-04-27 7:26 PM

So I'm new to Tris. I've Mt. Biked for the last 15 years. Grew up swimming. Hate running. But I got off the couch at the end of last year and gave it a try. I signed up for the Boulder 70.3 in August. I don't know squat about training. I'm running 6 miles twice a week,  I did 12 once. Can bike 30-40 miles easy. Swimming 2500 yards twice a week. Last week I did a Oly distance brick.

What I really want to know is what distances should I be training at to do a HIM? I realize I will be ramping up some more, but I have no idea what I should be shooting for in July.

I don't mind biking and swimming, but I want to limit running... but obviously I want to be trained to do it. As I 'm sure you all know it's tough trying to figure out how to fit it all in.

Your question is a little difficult to make heads or tails of. If your question is should you have a logged a workout totaling 70.3 miles prior to your race, the answer is in the negative. If you look at the plan many of us our following it describes the workouts in terms of time and in the case of the swim prescribes actual distances. Any well designed plan will follow the periodization philosophy of base, build and peak with intermittent recovery periods. Peak hours under the Beginner HIM maxes out at slightly over 10 hours per week. The benefit of any plan is that it takes the guesswork out of your workouts and creates structure and discipline (with regard to both work and rest). Take a look at week 6 workouts (max hours) and figure out how much mileage that would produce based on your current training times.Based on your current training, it sounds like you have the fitness to be ready for the race. The key is to dial in your training so that you peak at the right time and avoid injury and overtraining. Hope that answers the question.

2011-04-27 8:46 PM

User image

Foster City, CA

Okay, so I blinked and somehow months have flown by and I'm only three days away from Wildflower!?!  Busy work schedules have kept me off this Forum but not off the bike/road or out of the pool.  One more open-water swim tomorrow to gain more comfort in the wetsuit (I didn't get nearly enough practice in it during this plan).  Reading through the pages of posts have been tremendously inspirational and educational, if not calming as I stress out counting down the days/hours.  Thanks for all of your great posts and the amazing energy and encouragement you share with each other.  It's helped me a bunch!

2011-04-28 6:51 AM
in reply to: #3470285

User image

Bronze member
lalexander - 2011-04-27 8:46 PM

Okay, so I blinked and somehow months have flown by and I'm only three days away from Wildflower!?!  Busy work schedules have kept me off this Forum but not off the bike/road or out of the pool.  One more open-water swim tomorrow to gain more comfort in the wetsuit (I didn't get nearly enough practice in it during this plan).  Reading through the pages of posts have been tremendously inspirational and educational, if not calming as I stress out counting down the days/hours.  Thanks for all of your great posts and the amazing energy and encouragement you share with each other.  It's helped me a bunch!

Good luck! Your training looks excellent, have a great race.

2011-04-28 9:15 AM
in reply to: #3470244

User image

Elite

OK... I guess what it throwing me is I keep thinking distance and most seem to speak in time. I'm not toally clueless... I have the "Tri Bible". Friel goes in depth of how to put a schedule together and concepts of volume and intensity.... but I just don't get where to start. I realize everyone is different, but I just don't see any sort of mile markers or benchmarks of where I'm at or where I should be.

Looking at periodization, I uderstand the concepts, but just don't know what numbers to "start plugging in". I am a tri newbie and I'm 44. Friels says if you are a rookie and a masters don't even worry about all the periods for first year just stay in base and build endurance... which is pretty much what I have been doing for the last 4 months.

So it does not seem like I am too far off. I think I will  look more at adapting this plan here. I have looked at it before but it did not seem to match what I wanted. Running is really my concern. How much do I need to be doing to get in a HIM?  In June I have a 100K bike event, a 10 mile hill run event and then my first Sprint. In July I have an Olimpic tri, and then the HIM in August. So while I'm not getting too fancy with my training and periodization, obviously I want to "peak" right and maximize my training.

I'm not worried about finishing (as long as I don't bonk which has happened to me), and my goal is to finish in 6 hours. Seems achievable but lofty.

Edited by powerman 2011-04-28 9:18 AM
2011-04-28 11:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson

So.... hard... to... get... back... to.. training..... after... your... first... HIM......

Help.....  Hahaha!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150