BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-03-07 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Connecticut
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed

Does anyone recommend a certain bike trainer?  With the new baby coming my wife wouldnt be able to get out too much in the beginning and she seems interested in one.  I do hear they are pretty loud.

Any suggestions?

2013-03-07 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4650514

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
lp3510 - 2013-03-07 12:24 PM

Burd - 2013-03-07 2:10 PM Here she is.  I thought carbon was going to be out of my price range but found this used.  He took super great care of it.  The only chip in on the crank where his shoe hit it.  He said it was used on a trainer 95% of the time and only outside for maybe 2 weeks total.  Looking at the condition I am inclined to believe him.

Nice bike! Im so jealous of you right now. Your out riding and here in New England Im watching the snow fall.  Ive been staring at a starter road bike my wife got me but with the weather and all the dirt on the roads its too dangerous to attempt a ride.

3.5mi seems like a good starter ride to get the legs warmed up. Glad youre back in the saddle!

agreed!

as far as bike go, as long as you have a decent road bike have it fitted properly, you are good to go! 

2013-03-07 1:39 PM
in reply to: #4650520

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
lp3510 - 2013-03-07 12:26 PM

Does anyone recommend a certain bike trainer?  With the new baby coming my wife wouldnt be able to get out too much in the beginning and she seems interested in one.  I do hear they are pretty loud.

Any suggestions?

My bike is louder than my trainer...of course the bike is 13-14 years old.

Quitest is fluid trainers. Cycleops and Kurt Kinetic seem to be the top dogs but there are plenty more out there. I picked up a cycleops fluid second hand.

REI`s seem to have some decent pricing if you are near one.

2013-03-07 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4650547

User image

Connecticut
thor67 - 2013-03-07 2:39 PM

Any suggestions?

Quitest is fluid trainers. Cycleops and Kurt Kinetic seem to be the top dogs but there are plenty more out there. I picked up a cycleops fluid second hand.

does the trainer eat up your tires? or do you just use a specific tire when using the trainer?

2013-03-07 2:42 PM
in reply to: #4650603

User image

Veteran
Illinois
lp3510 - 2013-03-07 2:08 PM

Any suggestions?

does the trainer eat up your tires? or do you just use a specific tire when using the trainer?

I have a Cycleops Fluid 2, and I like it.  It clicks once per revolution, and I need to follow-up with Cycleops support, but it still works fine.  Lifetime warranty and all that jazz.

Performance Bike makes a travel trac fluid trainer that is pretty nice and relatively cheap.

My bike has cheap-ish tires on it, and I can seen a smooth line wearing into the tread, but nothing that worries me.  I've logged 31 hours on it since I got it, around 360 miles so far, and it isn't bad or drastic.  I would still ride outside on the tires.

I would not use good tires on it, or race tires, or even a good pair of gator skins or armadillos.  I plan to buy a set of gatorskins for summer riding, and I would just swap tires when I have to use the trainer then.

The greatest thing about a trainer, though, is Trainer Road.  I'm currently in week four of their novice competitor high volume training plan (to the detriment of my swim and run).  Using an ANT stick and cadence/speed sensor, they can give you virtual power numbers, and all for $10 per month.  And the workouts range from easy to "crying in a pool of sweat and tears."  It's awesome.  

2013-03-07 3:25 PM
in reply to: #4650603

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
lp3510 - 2013-03-07 1:08 PM

Any suggestions?

Spend the $35 for a trainer tire. You could also spend a few more bucks for rim etc. so all you can leave tire on trainer and swap out good tire/rim. I am looking to do this to alleviate the numerous tire changes come spring.(although truth be known, I tend to leave tire trainer on for a few of those outdoor spring rides...)

2013-03-07 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4650674

User image

Connecticut

I have a Cycleops Fluid 2, and I like it.  It clicks once per revolution, and I need to follow-up with Cycleops support, but it still works fine.  Lifetime warranty and all that jazz.

Performance Bike makes a travel trac fluid trainer that is pretty nice and relatively cheap.

My bike has cheap-ish tires on it, and I can seen a smooth line wearing into the tread, but nothing that worries me.  I've logged 31 hours on it since I got it, around 360 miles so far, and it isn't bad or drastic.  I would still ride outside on the tires.

I would not use good tires on it, or race tires, or even a good pair of gator skins or armadillos.  I plan to buy a set of gatorskins for summer riding, and I would just swap tires when I have to use the trainer then.

The greatest thing about a trainer, though, is Trainer Road.  I'm currently in week four of their novice competitor high volume training plan (to the detriment of my swim and run).  Using an ANT stick and cadence/speed sensor, they can give you virtual power numbers, and all for $10 per month.  And the workouts range from easy to "crying in a pool of sweat and tears."  It's awesome.  

not a bad idea. I was reading that the major cause of the noise is not really the trainer but the bike vibrating. Do you keep a pad or something under the bike when using it? Also do you use a block for under the front tire?

2013-03-07 3:37 PM
in reply to: #4650774

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
lp3510 - 2013-03-07 2:26 PM

not a bad idea. I was reading that the major cause of the noise is not really the trainer but the bike vibrating. Do you keep a pad or something under the bike when using it? Also do you use a block for under the front tire?

I have a rubber mat underneath mine. Get from hardware store. I do have a block as it came with it.(second hand) Not sure if it helps but it feels more secure. 

2013-03-07 4:42 PM
in reply to: #4650514

User image

Expert
lp3510 - 2013-03-07 1:24 PM

Burd - 2013-03-07 2:10 PM Here she is.  I thought carbon was going to be out of my price range but found this used.  He took super great care of it.  The only chip in on the crank where his shoe hit it.  He said it was used on a trainer 95% of the time and only outside for maybe 2 weeks total.  Looking at the condition I am inclined to believe him.

Nice bike! Im so jealous of you right now. Your out riding and here in New England Im watching the snow fall.  Ive been staring at a starter road bike my wife got me but with the weather and all the dirt on the roads its too dangerous to attempt a ride.

X2... I still enjoy running in the snow (makes me feel tough like those hardy CanadiansWink) but I am ready to get outside on my bike.  Spring cant come soon enough!

Congrats on the bike - Sounds like you enjoyed your first ride.  How's the knee?

2013-03-07 4:58 PM
in reply to: #4650905

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Qua17 - 2013-03-07 5:42 PM

X2... I still enjoy running in the snow (makes me feel tough like those hardy CanadiansWink) but I am ready to get outside on my bike.  Spring cant come soon enough!

Congrats on the bike - Sounds like you enjoyed your first ride.  How's the knee?

Since I put on the sleeve it feels like I could run...however no way jose!!  As long as it is like this on the 20th I am going to start with a "couch to" approach on the run part so I don't end up in this position again.

2013-03-07 8:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
How should I log my swim times?  I have been leaving them blank since I'm not sure to list the total time in the water or only the actual swimming time.  It's easy enough to hit stop and start on again as I take a break but not sure which way is best.

2013-03-08 12:14 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
If I do not make it outside tomorrow for a run, I will officially retire from any endurance sports training.  I've pi$$ed away this entire week with NO excuse.  First time in 3 years I've just not been interested. 
2013-03-08 6:31 AM
in reply to: #4651241

User image

Connecticut
kevinbe - 2013-03-08 1:14 AMIf I do not make it outside tomorrow for a run, I will officially retire from any endurance sports training.  I've pi$$ed away this entire week with NO excuse.  First time in 3 years I've just not been interested. 
Dont be so hard on yourself. If you think about in the last 3 yrs you've been disinterested for less than 1% of the time. That's beast status if you ask anyone.
2013-03-08 7:17 AM
in reply to: #4650905

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2013-03-07 3:42 PM

Only hardy due to all the beer we drink. YOu could have an honorary membership with all the beer you drink! Laughing

2013-03-08 7:21 AM
in reply to: #4651241

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

kevinbe - 2013-03-07 11:14 PM If I do not make it outside tomorrow for a run, I will officially retire from any endurance sports training.  I've pi$$ed away this entire week with NO excuse.  First time in 3 years I've just not been interested. 

you may think you will retire but we will stop you with an intervention. Time to evaluate what you get out of this and move forward. Sometimes all you need is a bit of a break. You have a wife/kids/bambino on the way that need your time as well. Perhaps you should pull back and just do sprints and olys this year! As a sprint/oly guy, I can tell you they are quite fun. PLus it will give you more time with the wife, kids and that cold bottle of beer!Either way you are not allowed to quit until we say you can so put on your big boy panties and run!Laughing

Edited by thor67 2013-03-08 7:33 AM
2013-03-08 9:10 AM
in reply to: #4651382

User image

Connecticut
thor67 - 2013-03-08 8:21 AM

kevinbe - 2013-03-07 11:14 PM If I do not make it outside tomorrow for a run, I will officially retire from any endurance sports training.  I've pi$$ed away this entire week with NO excuse.  First time in 3 years I've just not been interested. 

you may think you will retire but we will stop you with an intervention. Time to evaluate what you get out of this and move forward. Sometimes all you need is a bit of a break. You have a wife/kids/bambino on the way that need your time as well. Perhaps you should pull back and just do sprints and olys this year! As a sprint/oly guy, I can tell you they are quite fun. PLus it will give you more time with the wife, kids and that cold bottle of beer!Either way you are not allowed to quit until we say you can so put on your big boy panties and run!Laughing

Big boy panties.... love it.

2013-03-08 1:07 PM
in reply to: #4651110

User image

Expert

Burd - 2013-03-07 8:23 PM How should I log my swim times?  I have been leaving them blank since I'm not sure to list the total time in the water or only the actual swimming time.  It's easy enough to hit stop and start on again as I take a break but not sure which way is best.

Alex - you ask the best questions!  I only log the actual swimming time and here is why - because doing it that way let's me gage improvements in speed over the course of months.  If you count your breaks - it throws off your time x100 average.  So, when I stop for a break during a swimming set, I stop my stopwatch so I more accurate picture of my pace...

Just my 2 cents - what does everyone else think...

2013-03-08 1:25 PM

User image

Expert

I am done with snow... Sure - I got to enjoy a snowday but I  had to shovel 18 inches of the white stuff today today... luckily my back doesn't hurt too much but give me a break!

I've got a date with my urologist today.  Hopefully he can shed some light on my problem so I can get back to riding full time.  There has got to be something he can do!

After shoveling, I quenched my thirst with a doppelbock that weighed in at 10%... not something I should have gulped down...

2013-03-08 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4652174

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2013-03-08 12:07 PM

Burd - 2013-03-07 8:23 PM How should I log my swim times?  I have been leaving them blank since I'm not sure to list the total time in the water or only the actual swimming time.  It's easy enough to hit stop and start on again as I take a break but not sure which way is best.

Alex - you ask the best questions!  I only log the actual swimming time and here is why - because doing it that way let's me gage improvements in speed over the course of months.  If you count your breaks - it throws off your time x100 average.  So, when I stop for a break during a swimming set, I stop my stopwatch so I more accurate picture of my pace...

Oops! Laughing

2013-03-08 2:38 PM
in reply to: #4652234

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2013-03-08 12:25 PM

I am done with snow... Sure - I got to enjoy a snowday but I  had to shovel 18 inches of the white stuff today today... luckily my back doesn't hurt too much but give me a break!

I've got a date with my urologist today.  Hopefully he can shed some light on my problem so I can get back to riding full time.  There has got to be something he can do!

After shoveling, I quenched my thirst with a doppelbock that weighed in at 10%... not something I should have gulped down...

Snow is why you have kids...so they can shovel!!

Also rookie mistake on the beer...after any heavy exertion don't waste a good beer on the first one, they evaporate waaay to quickly! 

Don't of your doctor and make sure he/she has small hands!

good luck!

2013-03-08 2:54 PM
in reply to: #4652174

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Qua17 - 2013-03-08 1:07 PM

I use my Garmin FR70, which has a lap counter plus all the other bells and whistles (HRM feature doesn't work, of course, but the timer and lap counter work fine).  It's nice to see my splits.  If I am in the pool, the clock is ticking.  I only stop it if I get out of the water.  The splits tell me how fast my individual laps are, but ultimately, when I try to gauge my performance, one lap is not an accurate measure, since I need to know what my overall swim pace will be.  

For example, in an olympic, the swim is 0.93 miles, so ~1,650 yards.  A 50 yard lap won't indicate anything, but a 2,000 yard session is probably a pretty good marker.

2013-03-08 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4652234

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Qua17 - 2013-03-08 1:25 PM

Still having the numbness issues?  My wish list includes an Adamo saddle, but right now that $125 is waiting for the house shopping.  I was having some numbness issues as well, and a bunch of fiddling with saddle position has helped.  I shifted the nose of my saddle slightly to my right, which is the opposite side of how "things" generally sit in my riding shorts, and that helped.  Nose is angled a bit down.  

For me, the saddle position is ultimately a compromise, with maximum comfort coming in the drops and slight discomfort when I sit up-right.  My bike is also a bit big for me, so everything is a compromise.  

2013-03-08 6:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Quick beer update...Zeus IPA and Krypton Rye IPA from my favorite IPA brewery Phillips! Zeus is new guest beer in hop box...not sure, different, need a couple of more to confirm or deny it...

off to hockey game tonite at 10:10...pretty sure there will be no IPA's in the cooler! 

2013-03-08 6:40 PM

User image

Connecticut
Snow is all cleaned up. No time for the gym so did a repeat of the pushup challenge. Local store had a make your own sixer. Trying an organic beer by peak. Not sure if it taste terrible because it's a nut brown ale or because it's organic. But house rules are no wounded soldiers so I have to finish it.
2013-03-08 9:44 PM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Yes I am alive!  Sorry for my absence spent all week fighting a miserable cold and finally feel better.  Pretty nervous about the bataan death march next sunday.  I haven't trained in a week and a half while recovering from being sick.  So I was hoping you all can give me some advice.  I can't workout tomorrow I'm working a 24, but Sunday and the rest of the week is wide open.  Should I go back to my normal routine before the march?  Should I do some short runs and bikes this week?  What should I eat before the march?  Any advice would be great, thanks!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97