BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-09-23 5:45 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Jason, that looks like it was a monster of a race. Congratulations on finishing strong. I hope you're enjoying a little vacation while you're out there. I've been skiing near Lake Tahoe and it's a beautiful part of the world.

2013-09-23 7:18 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Sorry for the relative Internet silence. We have been pretty busy out here

It is incredibly beautiful here. We just took a short hike pretty near to the Ritz peak on the bike course. I realized it had spectacular views yesterday on the bike but it is even more amazing when your heart rate isn't red lining and you have some time to really appreciate it.

Quick synopsis of the race:

Swim. Spectacular even if the air was cold. I challenge anyone to find a more beautiful start to a race. Standing on the beach and looking around at all of the mountains with snow on their peaks is something I will never forget. I will get in to the details later. 1:19ish.

T1. Like nothing you have ever experienced in your life unless you have naked sumo wrestled with 300 people you don't know.

Bike. Everything you have heard and more. It was amazing. Brutally tough but also just incredible. I had a very good bike but knew that I was going to pay for it on the run. Side note: for the first time ever in an IM I did not pee on the bike. Nor did anyone else with an ounce of brains. No one wanted to be wet (with any type of liquid) in those conditions. I was well hydrated as I had to stop and pee about every 25 miles. It added about five minutes to my ride. 6:19?

T2. Easy peasy.

Run. Well, I knew coming off the bike that my legs were not at their usual IM marathon state. They were just crushed. So, I did what I could. I ran at around 800-8:30 pace as long as I could and when the legs said they needed a break I would walk 20-30 strides and start running. Came out to 8:48 pace overall which is about a minute off of what I was hoping for. This was a mental and physical challenge. 3:50.

Overall time: 11:48 and change (I think).

Much happier today than I was yesterday now that I have the perspective of others on how truly hard the race was.

I will put together a race report when we get back. Hopefully my wife will help me to include some pictures.

Mike-we ate at Garwoods twice. Thanks for the rec and sorry we didn't meet up.
2013-09-23 7:32 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Jason, sounds like a pretty amazing race! I was just listening to IM Talk and they were saying that it must've been a beast of a course, based on the pro finish times. Great job! Also, seriously...those run splits...pretty exceptional.
2013-09-23 7:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Jason glad you enjoyed our mountain retreat. Living here in CA and spending more than a little time in Tahoe I sometimes forget just how beautiful it is.

As for the race, I knew it was going to be tough. I am very familiar with the course. My thoughts in looking at it were as follows. Tell me how close I came.

Swim - beautiful clean water, cool but warmer than you might expect, altitude is the real challenge.

Bike - Brutal with the climbs and the thin air. Also very fast, dangerously so, on the downhill sections. Not for the faint of heart.

Run - Very flat as you follow the river. I have ridden that path and it is quite nice. Thin air again being the x-factor.

Add in the surprise snow and potential for icy roads in the shaded areas of the street and this was one that sounded great but I would say maybe for your fourth or fifth IM, definitely not your first.

Since it looks like I am only going to get one shot at an IM I will reserve Tahoe as a spectator or volunteer.

Glad you did well and enjoy the beautiful area. I put it up there with anyplace in the country for sheer natural beauty. Look forward to the race report.

Enjoy your stay.
2013-09-23 10:46 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Jason glad you enjoyed our mountain retreat. Living here in CA and spending more than a little time in Tahoe I sometimes forget just how beautiful it is.

As for the race, I knew it was going to be tough. I am very familiar with the course. My thoughts in looking at it were as follows. Tell me how close I came.

Swim - beautiful clean water, cool but warmer than you might expect, altitude is the real challenge.

*Spot on. Altitude didn't really bother me too much. Strangely enough, the water was freezing cold near shore but got significantly warmer about 150 yards off shore. It was like this when I swam on Thursday as well so I don't know if it is always this way.

Bike - Brutal with the climbs and the thin air. Also very fast, dangerously so, on the downhill sections. Not for the faint of heart.

*Yes. Brutal. I loved the descents. See the 27 mph average for a segment that was commented on yesterday. It was a little terrifying. I topped out over 50.

Run - Very flat as you follow the river. I have ridden that path and it is quite nice. Thin air again being the x-factor.

*Not as flat as you might think. At least not how it was laid out. I was impressed by how much up and down there was.

Add in the surprise snow and potential for icy roads in the shaded areas of the street and this was one that sounded great but I would say maybe for your fourth or fifth IM, definitely not your first.

*I knew it was going to be terrible on Saturday but had faith that the forecasters were right and that it would be beautiful on Sunday. And it was beautiful. Great conditions for an IM if you were prepared/dressed appropriately.

Since it looks like I am only going to get one shot at an IM I will reserve Tahoe as a spectator or volunteer.

*I think that is a great plan. If I only had one shot at the distance, this would NOT be the one I would choose.

Glad you did well and enjoy the beautiful area. I put it up there with anyplace in the country for sheer natural beauty. Look forward to the race report.

*Totally, amazingly beautiful. The people here are, across the board, some of the nicest I have ever met in any of my travels. I hope the race didn't inconvenience the community too much but I sure appreciate them having us.

Enjoy your stay.

*Just a few more hours

Ps. I don't know what is going on with spud one's pic showing up where mine usually does.
2013-09-24 11:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Jason the water on whole can be very cold because of the very deep water. However, left undisturbed the top of the water actually warms quite nicely. That's why it got warmer when you got a little ways out.

I am a bit surprised that they didn't enforce some speed limits on the bike descents. 50 mph is far faster that I would ever attempt.

For many years myself, wife and kids would join my sister and her family for a week in Tahoe. Absolutely agree about the people. All you have to do is show a little respect to the land and the people and you will be treated to a most lovely experience. And for the record, that's most people who visit there. Fortunately they don't hold the actions of a few of the idiots against all the visitors.

I read about the experiences of those who do all these races around the world. I would love to see some of these events but can't see all of them.

With all the places you have raced, rank this one for:

1. Difficulty
2. Setting
3. Overall Race experience
4. Total experience (all the time in Tahoe, people, things to see & do outside the race, travel in & out, etc)

Thanks in advance for the insights.

2013-09-24 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4724546

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
My friend posted this link on facebook to an analysis of IMLT. I thought it was a good read to put into perspective how tough the race was.

http://www.coachcox.co.uk/2013/09/23/ironman-lake-tahoe-2013-full-r...

Again, well done Jason. Could be a race to put on the "to do" list.
2013-09-24 4:33 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I know 1 or 2 of you have done Raleigh 70.3. Would like your thoughts on the course. How big of a PITA is different transition sites for t1 and t2? My sister lives in Cary, so I'd have free housing. Looking to do 2 half iron distances next year. If not Raleigh, I'm considering Rev3 Virginia Beach. Don't know how I'd do with an ocean type swim, though. I get motion sick pretty easily.
2013-09-25 7:42 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by glfprncs

I know 1 or 2 of you have done Raleigh 70.3. Would like your thoughts on the course. How big of a PITA is different transition sites for t1 and t2? My sister lives in Cary, so I'd have free housing. Looking to do 2 half iron distances next year. If not Raleigh, I'm considering Rev3 Virginia Beach. Don't know how I'd do with an ocean type swim, though. I get motion sick pretty easily.

Jamie and I did it in June. I loved it! (Although I might be biased since it was my first HIM) The transitions weren't that bad, but you do have to get up extra early to set up Run transition in DT Raleigh and then catch a bus to the Lake.

There was a bit of chop in the Lake as you get further from shore when we did it. Probably not as bad an an ocean swim, but good to be aware of if you are prone to motion sickness.
The hills on the bike course weren't horrible. I'm pretty used to hills like those here in Greenville. Bike takes you through some pretty areas in the surrounding area to Raleigh. I really enjoyed it.

The run course was pretty dang hilly though, although it looks like they removed the really hilly part for the race next year. It was a cool part of the run, not sure why they got rid of it, but I think folks are pretty happy those hills are gone

I've only done one HIM and it was Raleigh. I'm doing it again next year since I thought it was such a great race. so I definitely recommend it! Let me and Jamie know if you are gonna do it! We can try to meet up!

Here's a link to my Raleigh race report if you want to hear more about my experience with it and in case I missed anything in my description above.

http://trifunctional.wordpress.com/2013/06/04/race-report-ironman-r...

-Nate
2013-09-25 9:20 AM
in reply to: leechj

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nancy-another half not terribly far from you is Beach to Battleship in Wilmington NC. They do a half and a full. I believe swim is well protected and typically with the current. Looks like Oct. 25, 2014. Not a WTC event but been around for awhile and gets good reviews.

Who is racing this weekend? I know Nancy has her big race but is anyone else racing?

2013-09-25 9:30 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Question/s for the group. We are almost 3/4 of the way through the year. Looks like the group has only a few triathlons planned into October. Looking back through the year/season maybe we can reflect a bit and answer some questions.

1. What are you most proud of so far this year/season?

1a. Rate your season in terms of how you feel about what you accomplished. 1-10 with 1 being low.

2. What is your weakness/where do you see room for the most improvement?

3. Where have you made the most progress?

4. Biggest dissappointment, if any, of the season?

5. Were there any things you learned during the season/year that were really key to racing/training better? Kind of an "Aha" moment?

6. What are your goals through the rest of 2013? 

I think its always good to reflect and see where I am and where I can improve. This will give me something to think about while I'm swimming today

2013-09-25 9:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Nancy, I'm going to second what Nate said. Raleigh 70.3 was a great race. I loved the course, even though they changed the run course, so we'll have to wait and see what that is like. Also, I really hated the waves during the swim, but that's just something to deal with in OWS. I don't know much about B2B, but I'd recommend Raleigh. I mean, Nate and I both signed up for it again, so I guess I can't endorse it more than that.

Nate and I are both doing The Dam Tri this weekend. It's a "Sprinternational" distance race that we did last year, and both loved it. The swim is cool and clear, and the bike and run courses are pretty great. My goal for the race to push, push, push. I've been working on speed lately, throwing a lot of intervals in during my bike and run, so I want to really keep the needle in the red, since it's a relatively short distance.

Reflection:
1. Goes w/o saying for me: finishing my first Ironman. It wasn't the race I wanted, but it was a fantastic experience and let me know two things: 1. To quote The Old Man and the Sea, "Man was not made for defeat. He can be destroyed, but not defeated." 2. I'm really hooked on triathlon; it's not just a passing phase. I woke up the day after the race with a busted face and sore muscles, and wanted to do another Ironman more than I did the day before the race.
2. I have to go with a 9, at this point. If I had raced Louisville and finished close to what I thought I'm really capable of, I'd say 10.
3. At this point, my main focus between now and Chattanooga is long course nutrition. I've got to figure out carbs, electrolytes, hydration, etc. I've shown that I'm capable of training hard: I trained 6 days/week for 9 months, and never missed a day. Nutrition & hydration caught up with me, and I don't want that to happen again.
4. It's hard to say how much progress I've made: I'm faster, stronger, and all-around better than I was at this a year ago. For instance, I'm not worried at all about the HIM-distance race I'm going to do in a few weeks. 56 miles doesn't sound impossible anymore. Also, I have my own Jason-style running streak going: as long as I can get my miles in this week, I'll have a nice little run of 100+ mile/months.
5. I'm still in the middle of my "aha" moment, and that's finding that sweet spot as far as effort goes. I'm starting to realize I can push harder than I was comfortable going before, so now I want to see what that range is. I just want my expectations to match my effort.
6. I have two more tri's this year, and I'd like to a)place in the top 15-25% in my AG, and b)feel like I left it all on the course. I want to really dial in my potential before I wrap this season up. Oh, and get in the pool. Swimming is always the workout that's easiest to skip, but I don't want to lose the gains I made this season. I have to GET IN THE POOL!

I'm going to add a 7: Off-Season Goals-I want to really increase my strength on the bike. Lots of intervals and sweating. Seriously, I'm going to really hammer the bike this Winter: TrainerRoad & Sufferfest here I come.

Edit: Oops, I left off biggest disappointment, which is easy. It was my performance in Louisville, which is ironically my proudest moment. So, it's sort of a paradox.

Edited by WoodrowCall 2013-09-25 1:32 PM
2013-09-25 10:54 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by slornow

Question/s for the group. We are almost 3/4 of the way through the year. Looks like the group has only a few triathlons planned into October. Looking back through the year/season maybe we can reflect a bit and answer some questions.

1. What are you most proud of so far this year/season?

1a. Rate your season in terms of how you feel about what you accomplished. 1-10 with 1 being low.

2. What is your weakness/where do you see room for the most improvement?

3. Where have you made the most progress?

4. Biggest dissappointment, if any, of the season?

5. Were there any things you learned during the season/year that were really key to racing/training better? Kind of an "Aha" moment?

6. What are your goals through the rest of 2013? 

I think its always good to reflect and see where I am and where I can improve. This will give me something to think about while I'm swimming today

1. I'm most proud of just completing 10 Tris and a Du this season - with more to come this fall - 2 half marathons and a duathlon!
1a. 9 - I was injured through June but **knock on wood** I feel great now and I'm psyched for next season after a solid off season training session
2. running for sure!!
3. running - again!
4. nothing really big comes to mind - a few bad swims, a few dropped chains...but overall - nothing stands out
5. my "aha" moment - You really can do anything you set your mind up to do. Watching all of you compete - some of you in your first IMs......makes me want to push myself harder.
6. My goals through the rest of the season are to just have fun and relax. Real off season training begins 11/1 :D And I have a few goals for next season: I'd like to win an AG award in a sprint and I'm going to complete my first HIM Sept 2014 - OH YEAH!!!!

My first half marathon this weekend - my goal "to survive" LOL. I ran 12 miles at 11:05 last weekend so that's kind of where I'm shooting for and I'll be psyched with that time!!

My second HM is on Oct 12 - two weeks later LOL OOPS. Oh well. Duathlon Halloween weekend and we have a 5 mile road race on Thanksgiving day and a 5k the first week of December. THAT's the rest of my season.

Sorry for the ramble.

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-09-25 10:55 AM
2013-09-25 11:00 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-good stuff. You have had a great year. What you accomplished, through adversity, in Louisville was inspiring.

As I was reading your reply one thing came to mind that I don't think gets considered enough. The cumulative effect (hope that's right) of 2-3-4....years of training. This is my fifth season of doing races and I started to see significant gains from the 3rd season on. Not that big gains can't be made over a shorter period but I think consistency in training over the course of the years accounts for some significant gains in and of itself. You are moving into that 3rd season and I think you will see the added beneifts from the prior 2 years of consistent training.

For me, I'm hoping to continue to improve for another year or two before I suspect age starts to get me to the point where I will be trying to just maintain.

2013-09-25 12:12 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
With all the places you have raced, rank this one for:

1. Difficulty (1--this was hard!)

2. Setting (1--probably but Kona was pretty amazing and might be 1.1. Mont Tremblant was super nice as well, 1.2)

3. Overall Race experience (3--some "first-time" bobbles but most of those will be worked out by next year. The logistics of two transitions and the spread out nature of the whole course mad this a little difficult logistically but it still ran very well, all things considered)

4. Total experience (all the time in Tahoe, people, things to see & do outside the race, travel in & out, etc) (2-3. Again, Kona is such a crazy experience that it may always be 1, but it is admittedly an outlier because of the mystique surrounding it. Without it being the IMWC, Kona would be 2-4 as an overall experience. Kona itself is only OK. The island is pretty neat but not totally user friendly. MT was the easiest total experience as far as location, ease of use, etc. Tahoe was amazing however, probably one of the most beautiful places on earth.)

Thanks in advance for the insights.
2013-09-25 1:28 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Randee-you have made huge progress. So glad the run is coming back. Sounds like you have the "more running" thing taken care of with all of the upcoming races. How could it be anything other than a great season with having such a professional photo as your avatar

I'll try to get my responses up later today. 

2013-09-25 3:18 PM
in reply to: leechj

User image

Originally posted by leechj

Originally posted by glfprncs

Jamie and I did it in June. I loved it! (Although I might be biased since it was my first HIM) The transitions weren't that bad, but you do have to get up extra early to set up Run transition in DT Raleigh and then catch a bus to the Lake.

There was a bit of chop in the Lake as you get further from shore when we did it. Probably not as bad an an ocean swim, but good to be aware of if you are prone to motion sickness.
The hills on the bike course weren't horrible. I'm pretty used to hills like those here in Greenville. Bike takes you through some pretty areas in the surrounding area to Raleigh. I really enjoyed it.

The run course was pretty dang hilly though, although it looks like they removed the really hilly part for the race next year. It was a cool part of the run, not sure why they got rid of it, but I think folks are pretty happy those hills are gone

I've only done one HIM and it was Raleigh. I'm doing it again next year since I thought it was such a great race. so I definitely recommend it! Let me and Jamie know if you are gonna do it! We can try to meet up!

Here's a link to my Raleigh race report if you want to hear more about my experience with it and in case I missed anything in my description above.

http://trifunctional.wordpress.com/2013/06/04/race-report-ironman-r...

-Nate

Nate...thanks for the feedback. I swim weekly up at Strom Thurmond dam/Clarks Hill Lake, so chop is okay. Not fun, but doable.

I ran the City of Oaks half marathon last November, and it looks as though the run course is pretty much the last 6-7 miles of the HM course. The good news is that last half the HM course at City of Oaks (which is the run course for Raleigh 70.3) is the 'flatter' section of the course!!

I've got lots to ponder, I guess.
2013-09-25 5:04 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Randee-you have made huge progress. So glad the run is coming back. Sounds like you have the "more running" thing taken care of with all of the upcoming races. How could it be anything other than a great season with having such a professional photo as your avatar

I say Mary gets the award for the most progress in a season
2013-09-25 6:19 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I say Mary gets the award for the most progress in a season

Sure hard to argue with that. 

2013-09-25 7:30 PM

User image

Master
Jason, way to gut out the run after a kick butt ride. I'd love to have that pace for a run without all that other hard stuff. You're amazing!

Out of the loop and busy last few days. We had a tropical disturbance in the area that knocked out running water for the whole weekend. Yuck!! Flooding everywhere. I could have rode the trainer, but I was exhausted trying to run a home on just rainwater. That's life on a island for ya.

Keep up the strong work, folks!

I have a 60 mile relay race with friends this weekend. Should be fun running.
2013-09-25 7:37 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
1. What are you most proud of so far this year/season? Another year of consistency. Plus the fact that I am still really having fun with this.

1a. Rate your season in terms of how you feel about what you accomplished. 1-10 with 1 being low. 7/10. I had a nice season. Things have gone well. I am still waiting for that real breakthrough performance. I don't think I am done improving/getting faster but sometimes the waiting to get better can be very tiring. You just need to have faith that the work you are putting in will help create the results you want.

2. What is your weakness/where do you see room for the most improvement? Swim. Last winter I swam a bunch and made some marginal Improvements. This winter I am still going to swim a bunch but I am going to bite the financial bullet and pay for a couple months of twice weekly coaching. I have seen this coach dramatically improve the strokes of some of the kids my daughter swims with. Why not me too? The volume program has only gotten me so far.

3. Where have you made the most progress? Bike. It still kills me and I still have trouble determining my limits but I am getting there. Tahoe was the most comfortable I have ever been on a bike. I think the fit may finally be almost right.

4. Biggest dissappointment, if any, of the season? I was disappointed at MT 70.3. I just didn't feel like my legs were there to give me the race I wanted. Felt flat throughout. It was a very enjoyable trip but I felt somehow I left way too much on the table-although I guarantee you I wasn't sandbagging.

Let me let you in on something..... I was really disappointed at Tahoe. The first thing I said to my wife when I crossed the line was, "sorry, I really screwed that one up.". I have never had my legs not be available to me on the run. It was such a shocker and I was upset tht I had made 'errors' on the bike that prevented me from achieving my goals.....

5. Were there any things you learned during the season/year that were really key to racing/training better? Kind of an "Aha" moment? As moment? The morning after Tahoe when I started to realize how hard that race was for everyone. I wasn't nearly as disappointed when I started to gain perspective on the overall performance in comparison to others. If you look at my finish, I was almost exactly the same in my AG and overall as AZ, just with a much slower time. I was hoping to move up in the AG. Having the bike come together this year and the run go great last year, I think I am getting close to putting them together.

6. What are your goals through the rest of 2013?  Spend some more time with my family See swim above. Might do an end of season du if I recover well. Keep building fitness.

Thanks to all of you for participating in this group. it has been incredibly rewarding and inspiring to watch you meet and exceed your goals. You are a really great group of athletes and people.

2013-09-25 11:19 PM

User image

Calgary, AB

1. What are you most proud of so far this year/season?   My performance in my first HM.  When I started tri training in May 2012, I couldn't run for 2 minutes straight.  By September I was up to 30 minutes;  by December it was 60.   The HM was in May 2013, and I was breezing through 100 minutes straight running, on my way to posting a 2:10 HM -- far better than I ever thought possible.

1a. Rate your season in terms of how you feel about what you accomplished. 1-10 with 1 being low.   Probably a 7.  I had some great milestones -- first HM, first Oly, first 100+km bike ride, big improvement on my sprint -- and I'm proud of those.  Haven't made as much progress on other goals, particularly swim.  And my weight has hit a plateau -- hasn't gone up, but I've stalled out after making good progress in the first half of the year.

2. What is your weakness/where do you see room for the most improvement?   Endurance at the longer distances -- once I get past 2 hours of any physical activity, my performance takes a hit.   (Of course, this time last year, that number would have been 45 minutes, so it's getting better.)

3. Where have you made the most progress?   The run.  No question.

4. Biggest dissappointment, if any, of the season?    I've stumbled on maintaining a diligent training schedule and diet through the summer.  I started a new project for work in May, travelling 4-5 days a week, and midweek training sessions took a back seat.  Plus, when I was back home, I wanted to spend more time with the family, not training.  It's taken a toll.

5. Were there any things you learned during the season/year that were really key to racing/training better? Kind of an "Aha" moment?   For me it was the swim -- I had a great swim during my first Oly.  The key was to prevent small problems from becoming bigger ones -- if I get short of breath, slow down a bit -- if I get smacked, take a moment to regain bearings. 

6. What are your goals through the rest of 2013?   Get back in a regular training groove (4-5x a week), and get my weight back on a downward trajectory.    In particular -- get back into a running habit -- just yesterday I signed up for a full marathon (gulp!) in June 2014, which will no doubt be my A-race. 

2013-09-26 10:20 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

1. What are you most proud of so far this year/season? I have met all of my goals. I decided to put my 2013 goals at the top of my train so I could see them everytime I entered a workout. It keeps me thinking about them. Making Team USA in the sprint at AG Nationals after racing the olympic the day before is probably my highlight.

1a. Rate your season in terms of how you feel about what you accomplished. 1-10 with 1 being low. I would probably go 9.0-9.5. Exceeded my expectations in most races. There were some dissappointing segments of some races but over all it was a good year.

2. What is your weakness/where do you see room for the most improvement? Has to be swimming. I've made progress through lots of work in the pool and am pleased with the progress but when comparing my results in the really competitive events this is where I lag behind. Going to try to get some help with my stroke during the off season and keep working hard in the pool....UGH!

3. Where have you made the most progress? I can't point to one area. I'm pleased with the progress I have made in all three areas even though it may be small. Its still progress. I'm 51 and this is my 5th season. I've seen improvement each year. I know at some point as I get older it will be more about trying to maintain. So, any progress moving forward is good progress.

4. Biggest dissappointment, if any, of the season? Really can't point to any thing major. A bad swim here, a poor transition there but nothing major.

5. Were there any things you learned during the season/year that were really key to racing/training better? Kind of an "Aha" moment? That I can do more than I think.....in other words don't be afraid to push harder than you believe you are able to go. This is appicable to my run in several races this year. Unfortunately, there have been many times looking back on races where I know I didn't push to my capabilities, much less beyond, in the swim and bike.

6. What are your goals through the rest of 2013? I have not set any specific goals. I have one tri left and then may look at a HM or two over the Winter. Continued work on swimming and staying consistent with training are always general goals.

Sorry about the mix of bold/regular type. Not sure how that happened

Edited by slornow 2013-09-26 10:21 AM
2013-09-26 11:59 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I've had some time today to put together my race report. It is my longest and most detailed ever. It is really interesting to dissect one's race for a race report. It really makes you think about decisions and how things went.

I am going to go home tonight and see if I can load a bunch of pictures. If I can I will, If I can't I will put it out tonight and post a link.

Recovery is going well. I haven't done anything since Sunday except some walking and easy stretching. I'm starting to get itchy.
2013-09-26 5:07 PM

User image

Seriously? An ear infection? This bites big time.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88