Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-12-05 10:22 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by bulfrog

I'm planning on a stupidly over priced and non justified Tri bike for my midlife crisis. Although Mrs Bullfrog thinks it would be cheaper to just get a mistress haha.

A stupidly over priced and non justified Tri bike sounds perfect for your midlife crisis, I vote for that.

LOL, Mrs Bullfrog , it probably would but it's hard enough finding time for training with one partner (and kids in your case), can you imagine the struggle with another one in your life?

I absolutely vote tri bike over mistress!! Seriously...I can't even imagine the logistics of trying to juggle a mistress, a wife, a job, AND tri (plus some kids, in your case).

2023-12-05 10:28 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
I have no idea where I am in the stream of things, but...

@Mike--yay for your daughter!! I qualified too, although I'm not sure I'm going to do it and I have no idea what race I did that qualified me, since I don't remember doing any Olys or Sprints in the states this season. Dropping a pretty penny on travel to Worlds and already ultra distance nationals (again!), so I think I'll have to sacrifice AC nationals, although it would be cool to finally meet you! I'm aging up too--F45-49!

@Andrew--good luck this weekend! I know it is a bit early, but I'm so very seldom able to get on right now that I want to make sure to get it in before the race!

@Nicole--Dry December sounds rough, but then again, it will be all the more rewarding when you accomplish it. I, personally, am doing swampy December...everything I drink is kinda trash right now (Stella (not the good stuff) beer, and Auld Stag Egyptian Whisky style alcohol (and no, I didn't spell it wrong, that is what the bottle says)).

@Nat--beat down lazy Nat!! 2018 Nat called me and said she is gonna get you in 2024 if you don't! :P.

As for me...running, running, running...then working 12-13 hour days. This has been a really busy season, but at least I'm making progress.
2023-12-05 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog I'm planning on a stupidly over priced and non justified Tri bike for my midlife crisis. Although Mrs Bullfrog thinks it would be cheaper to just get a mistress haha.
A stupidly over priced and non justified Tri bike sounds perfect for your midlife crisis, I vote for that. LOL, Mrs Bullfrog , it probably would but it's hard enough finding time for training with one partner (and kids in your case), can you imagine the struggle with another one in your life?

Coach Mike and Triathlete Mike concur. 

2023-12-05 12:32 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Typical Tuesday 6 AM workout for me...20+ minute warm up on the bike, 5k treadmill with some speed work, and throwing dumbbells around the Pain Cave.  Starting to get the snap back in my legs (today was 6 x 30" @ about 7:00/mile pace, which is roughly 5K "kick"/finishing pace).  I'm toying with doing a 5K on Saturday as a fitness test.

2023-12-05 2:51 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well tri bike over mistress seems to be the consensus. Here's to growing old disgracefully.

@Mike, Nice morning workout, and some good speed coming back there. I vote for doing the 5k fitness test on the weekend. Racing is fun.

@Gretchen, 13 hour work days, plus finding time to eat/sleep/do washing etc. and then marathon training? You do like a challenge. But nailing it as always I'm sure.

@Nat, Fat Nat (your words, not mine) can have a week or 2. There's nothing wrong with a bit of total rest during the off season. In fact, there's a lot to say it's something we should all do. Run interval workout later in the week tells me that she won't be around for long though. That's definitely a Fit Nat sort of activity.

@Me, Race prep is in full swing. 60 min cruise in zwift last night. And got a bag of goodies delivered, nice shiny new elastic laces for running, new straw/bite valve for my between the arms bottle, new bag of tailwind to fuel me. Spending money is fun.

45 minute treadmill run planned for tonight, and final bike prep/clean. Will probably head out for a short ride tomorrow before work for a final bike gear check.
2023-12-05 2:54 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Nicole, I disagree with the guys. Dry December may be the hardest but that’s why you should do it and also, if you postpone this, you’ll be “oh well, I might as well overdo it in December”. I know I would.

Hey, I never said Nicole shouldn't go for Dry December. I just said it was a damn hard month to try it, and I don't think I could.

For the avoidance of doubt, if it's what you want to do Nicole then go for it. We support you 100%. AndI have no doubt that if you want to do it bad enough you will succeed.

2023-12-06 9:31 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hey everyone! I skipped a workout this morning! I've been standing on concrete for 12-13 hours a day (in flip flops--yes, not the brightest idea) and then couple that with the fact that I woke up at 10:30pm last night and could not go to sleep again, I was having a rough morning. Legs were blasted...brain was shot...so, I just said no...not gonna put myself through that.

2023-12-06 1:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Hey everyone! I skipped a workout this morning! I

Actor Bill Murray Faint GIF | GIFDB.com

Edited by jmhpsu93 2023-12-06 1:34 PM
2023-12-06 1:41 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, people.  Hope everyone is having a good week.  So far so good here with another good training day...more slow swimming (2250) at 6 AM then a lunch snappy bike ride with some 1' anaerobic intervals, a tad harder than last week. 

@Andrew:  you sound ready

@Gretchen:  my reaction to your missed workout is above, but probably a good call

@Nathalie:  I think Fat Nat is long gone...Soon-to-Be-2024-Nat is just resting up a little for the upcoming success

@Nicole:  hope you're hanging tough

Tomorrow is legs day with a 5K run on the treadmill beforehand.  We got our first snow of the season today (just flurries, etc.) but winter is coming.  I have some cold weather running gear so I'll brave it once in a while but most of the time on the treadmill unless we're traveling somewhere warmer.

2023-12-06 3:26 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Gretchen.... So, you are human after all. Good choice taking a rest. Sounds like the only sensible decision.

@Mike, Leg day after 5k run? Hope that's not your 5k fitness test Unless the goal is to induce some fatuige before lifting that is.

@Me, 45 minutes on the treadmill last night, consisted of 2 x 15 minute builds from just below my 'planned' race pace to around 5k pace. This morning was a half hour easy ride, mainly to practice with my upgraded BTA drink system. I have replaced the straw with a longer one, that clips out of the wind with a magnet rather than the fixed, vertical original one. Took a few goes to get used to, but I think it's going to work well.

Easy 20-30 minute jog tonight, then travel day tomorrow.
2023-12-06 4:28 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Ok, tomorrow is travel/registration day for my 70.3 so I will likely be offline until then. So, without further ado here is my race plan/goals/predictions. More for myself, sticking things in writing helps me get them sorted in my head, but happy to share.

The good, The weather looks perfect, mild temps, low wind no rain.
The bad, The bike course has changed to a much hillier course. In the pre race planning I've seen it suggested a good cyclist is 10 min slower than the old course, which was not easy to start with. I'm scared. And the cold. The lake is cold this time of year, and a clear low wind day in Taupo is also cold so the start of the ride could suck a bit.

Swim,
As above it's going to be cold. Apparently the lake is around 15C (<60 Freedom Units) I want to wear my sleeveless wetsuit, I find it much more comfortable than the full sleeves, but I'll go for a swim Friday after registration and see what it's like. If it's totally hypothermic I think the added insulation is worth more than tight shoulders. It'll probably be a race morning decision.

As usual I haven't swum enough. But based on the OWS I have done this summer I think 2:00-2:10/100m is achievable. That is 38-41 minute swim. It's also my first time doing a rolling start so I'm not quite sure what to expect. Less drafting opportunity but less of a full contact sport. The plan is to stay in my box, nice long easy strokes gaining 1-2 minutes here is not worth it, try and finish the swim as fresh as I can. Target/prediction is out of the water in 40 minutes.

Bike,
It's going to be slow. The new course has double the climbing than the old one, and little to no flat. I'm honestly not sure, on a flat course I would be thinking around 3 hours for 90km, with this course I'm thinking a 3:30-4 hour ride.

Plan is stay in aero as much as possible, including climbs where possible. Spin up the climbs, low gear high cadence climbing. On the descents, get up to speed quickly and use the time to recover as much as possible. Especially the final descent into T2 to try and start the run on fresh legs. Aiming to consume 75g/carbs per hour, I'll have a concentrate mix of 300g in an aero bottle on my downtube, plan is 1 sip every 20 minutes, which should last 4 hours. I'll take a small flask with an hours worth in my bento bag in case something goes bad and I need more, along with some chews or something to mix it up.

Prediction is 3hr 45 minutes. But that's an absolute stab in the dark considering the climbing and the fact I haven't done this course before.

Run,
My big goal for this tri is to run well. Run well by my standards that is. I'm hoping to be able to target 7:30/km pace. That's 2:38:15 half Marathon which is less than a minute off my run PB. That's my stretch goal. Realistically I have not been under 3 hours for a 70.3 run since 2013. Sub 3 hour is the goal. Run PB is the 'having a perfect day might be possible' goal.

The nutrition plan is 50g/carbs per hour, I'm going to carry a tailwind concentrate mix in 2 soft flasks, each good for 90 minutes. Plan is to walk the aid stations and have a sip of my mix and cup of water at each one (about 2.5km apart), otherwise run a steady pace. First lap @ 7:30/km and then reevaluate for laps 2 and 3.

Transitions,
T1 includes a run of around 400m, uphill. So it's not going to be fast. Goal is T1, less than 10 minutes (includes 5 minute jog/walk from the swim to bike. T2, 2-4 minutes.

Overall
Despite feeling fitter and better prepared than recent 70.3's this is not a PB course. Unfortunately I struggle to see myself getting under 7 hours. Even if everything goes well. My pick is 7:15-7:30 total. And If I do that, with a run I'm happy with I'll be happy.

If you made it this far through my rambling, well done, this is far longer than I planned when I started writing. For anyone wanting to follow along, I'm No. 570. Race starts (first swimmer) at 6:24 NZ time (12:24pm EST Friday) Have a good weekend guys, and talk to you all after.

2023-12-06 7:05 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Sounds like a great plan.  Good luck, Andrew!!

2023-12-07 4:21 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Great plan, good luck!
2023-12-10 4:30 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
How did it go Andrew?

Fat lazy Nat is still here, I did got to interval training on Wednesday but haven’t done anything since. Even bailing out on my long run today.

Tired, can’t be bothered

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-12-10 5:37 AM
2023-12-10 6:30 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl How did it go Andrew? Fat lazy Nat is still here, I did got to interval training on Wednesday but haven’t done anything since. Even bailing out on my long run today. Tired, can’t be bothered

Meh, it happens.  And it's dark like 18 hours a day now where you live.  I can't imagine living that far north in Dec/Jan.

2023-12-10 6:31 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Saw a 7:43 finish for Andrew on the Ironman tracker, which I think was in the ballpark but it looks like the run was a little slower than hoped / planned. 

2023-12-10 6:41 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Blew off my swim on Friday and punished myself not with a Coors Light Penalty, but with a Dragon Lady Ab Workout after getting some aero practice on the Stealth.  Looking forward to finally racing on the tri bike next year - my position is coming along (as much as it can come along with an idiot - me - doing the fitting) and I'm working on the deep dish wheels now.  Yesterday was my long run with my daughter and today I'll wrap up a good week with Bikram.  We held around a 10:30 pace for 5 miles which I was really happy about.  Day off tomorrow.

2023-12-10 6:08 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Didn't Drown, Didn't Crash, Didn't walk... ok didn't walk much.

A full race report, for future Andrew's benefit as much as the BDAS'ers entertainment is pending. But the short version is:

Swim was cold, but awesome. About the pace I expected. Bike was hilly and slow as expected, but I think I paced my effort pretty well. Run was a little slower than hoped for, but still under the 3 hour mark, which was one of my goals.

Overall 7 hours 35 minutes. Which, like Mike said is in the range I was expecting.

Not ecstatic with the result, there is much that could be improved. But overall happy.

(IMG-24f136c8dff03ea8ca24fa67cb244fa7-V.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG-24f136c8dff03ea8ca24fa67cb244fa7-V.jpg (244KB - 11 downloads)
2023-12-11 2:35 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Rollergirl How did it go Andrew? Fat lazy Nat is still here, I did got to interval training on Wednesday but haven’t done anything since. Even bailing out on my long run today. Tired, can’t be bothered

Meh, it happens.  And it's dark like 18 hours a day now where you live.  I can't imagine living that far north in Dec/Jan.

Yes but the darkness has never bothered me before, or maybe it has, I can’t remember.

I’ll let Fat Nat have a couple of weeks before I kick her arse, I even let her drink 2+ glasses wine at the weekend, maybe I need a break
Meanwhile, you are crushing it! Nice to read!

Well done Andrew, looking forward to reading your report!

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-12-11 7:29 AM
2023-12-11 9:16 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Congrats Andrew!! Sounds like a solid effort!!

For me...last week was a big bust--took three days off (Tues-Fri) and then, for some brilliant reason, decided to do both my long run (10 miles) AND a foundation run (3 miles) on Saturday. In the morning I did the long run. After 12 hours of work, I did the foundation run. Both actually felt really good (why wouldn't they after three days of rest?!?!?!), but I paid for it a bit Sunday. I took my normal rest day on Sunday and then was up this morning (now Monday, I think...time is weird here) with a 44' critical velocity run that includes 4x4' in Z4/Z5. It was fun to run fast, but I'm looking forward to tomorrow's foundation run. We are on the last week here in the field and EVERYTHING gets hectic and super intense from here on out. After we leave the field, I HAVE to go to Pisa and give a talk and then spend three days touring around Pisa and Rome...man...sometimes this academic life is tough. :P.
2023-12-11 9:31 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Nice work, Andrew.  Looking forward to the RR. 

Day off here for me after another good week.

@Gretchen:  it's been a LONG time since I did a run double (like high school); that's nuts but right on point for you   Have fun in Italy - I'm sure it will be beautiful all decorated. 

2023-12-12 8:58 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well it's not my best but here is a race report. https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

@Nat. There's nothing wrong with enjoying an off season. And I totally get 'too tired, can't be bothered' What do you have on the cards this week? a return to run club intervals.

@Mike, Still crushing it.

@Gretchen. I don't think I've ever done 2 runs in a day. You're still hardcore as ever. When you finish in the field, and with your italian 'work trip' are you heading home, or staying in Egypt longer?

@Me. Done nothing. Focused on recovery, as planned for this week. But, after 3 days of 0, I'm feeling ok, so will hopefully get on zwift or something tonight.

2023-12-14 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, all.  I posted on the race report area for your race, Andrew.  Solid all-around and well-planned.  Recover well.

Getting through another good week here. including running three days in a row for the first time in forever (the middle one was only a mile, but that's the frequency part - short is fine).  Swimming is starting to feel a little less like mud, and the limited bike work has been good as well.  I'm really looking forward to a recovery week next week - we head down to South Florida so I'll really ramp down everything, though they have a really nice lap pool where we're staying and the weather will be nice for outdoor running so I won't be totally a slug. 

Hope everyone is having a great week - where's Nicole?

2023-12-14 7:10 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Mike, Thanks for your thoughts on my race report.

I agree with pretty much everything you said there. A power meter is definitely in my future. The top of the short list for my future new bike is a canyon speedmax, which come with a power meter as standard. Unfortunately that means I'm struggling to justify the cost of one for my current ride for such a short period of time.

Nice job on 3 runs in a row. How long are you off to Florida for?

I'm in the restarting training stage of the post 70.3 recovery period. Short zwift Wednesday, short run Thursday. All going to plan the weekend will be 90 minutes each day. And back into normal service next week.
2023-12-15 5:13 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Haven't had time to read your report yet Andrew but I will soon thanks for sharing

Fat Nat is on her way out. I let her do NOTHING last weekend, other than watch hockey (on the couch, away game, we won) and play mandolin in bed.

it worked, I have a little more energy this week and did one mini strength session, runs intervals and spin class. Weekend will be long ride and long run.

Nicole, where are you?

Mike, copy paste from last time, you are really on a roll! Enjoy your rest week!

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-12-15 1:23 PM
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland