BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-04-01 8:08 PM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.

That is so cool Bob! I hope that is good mojo for tomorrow...good luck!

It was a LOOONNNGGG day today - we got 10 inches of snow, lost power for 4 hours in the middle of the day, the kids had a snow day...can't wait to hit the road tomorrow to head down to Newmarket. Let's hope the roads are dry by Sunday.

2011-04-03 6:08 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

Finally home - finished with the second half marathon for this year...only two more to go. It was a beautiful clear day - nice and sunny, but wickedly windy. Lots of gusts which seemed to hit right as I was attempting to go up a hill. The course is lovely - but it is a challenging one...part of the course was on a dirt road that really suffered this winter - lots of pot holes, ruts and mud, and HILLY. No outrageous long hills, just lots of relentless rollers.

According to my watch, my time was 2:16...but haven't been able to find the results online yet for the chip time. I am consoling my self with the fact that is the same time as the Hyannis race - on a much harder course. I will get to a race report sometime tomorrow.

Now - Bob...let's see some details about your race! Did you get to swim with the dolphins again? How was the ride on the base?

2011-04-04 8:11 AM

User image

NH
Good race given the conditions Jennifer.  And don't be fooled - that is a tough course.  Several of the "rollers" are quite steep.  Not overly long, but so steep they definitely get your heart rate spiked.
2011-04-04 12:58 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

Race report is here.

I'm struggling with how totally spent I was after this race (and still am today) and contemplating tacking a 56 mile bike ride and 1.2 mile swim on top of that feeling. It's definitely spooking me. I have a pretty good base and (prior to yesterday) thought I could finish a HIM today if I had to (I know I could cover the distance for each sport)...now, I'm not so sure. The HIM plan kicks in at the end of April, so I'm going to just play for the next couple of weeks.

For those of you finishing a HIM who did a half marathon before - how does the level of exhaustion compare? Is there something I should/could do to be better prepared? Maybe higher effort on the training days to better simulate race-day conditions? Pace differently during the race? Don't know...

2011-04-04 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3429043

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA

race report is up here with a little more detail...

Jennifer, I think it changes to the point of hanging on for the run. On a Half Marathon, I'm thinking pace and paying attention in the early  miles but on the HIM, I don't think too much about pacing in the two I've done...I'm just hanging on and going as fast as I can without blowing up. Maybe others get better strategy and are running to a plan but not me.

I would suggest you do a really long brick, (56 mile ride and a 10 mile run or so)...I did one of those before my first and it really helped me understand nutrition / hydration and the effort involved. Definitely loop around a local course for support or pre-plant nutrition and hydration out on your run. The first time I did this I found myself in a world of hurt about 5 miles from home and ended up getting some help from a friendly old lady watering her roses to refill my two water bottles from her hose.

2011-04-04 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3416660

User image

Elite
wbayek - 2011-03-27 4:41 PM

Pretty quiet on here.  Hopefully everyone is good, the training looks good for all you IMCdA'ers.

I haven't done a roller report in a long time, but I'm happy to say I'm very comfortable on them now.  I actually plan to use them during the season to do intervals if I don't feel comfortable outside for whatever reason - darkness, etc. 

On that note - do any of you use the trainer during the season?  If so, what do you do about your tires?  My trainer absolutely shreds tires, so I can't figure out how to use it other than spend the time to put a tire on and then take it off when I'm done, but with time as tight as it is, I won't bother doing any trainer rides at all even though I'd like the flexibility.

I use my year round. I had:
http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup.asp?igpk=2126176909 last almost 4000 "miles" Current bontranger is ok but will not last as long. The blue Tacx lasted forever, I evwntually blew out the sidewall. Rode it on the road a few times as well. I bought locally.

2011-04-05 6:09 PM
in reply to: #3429767

User image

NH
aarondavidson - 2011-04-04 9:21 PM

Pretty quiet on here.  Hopefully everyone is good, the training looks good for all you IMCdA'ers.

I haven't done a roller report in a long time, but I'm happy to say I'm very comfortable on them now.  I actually plan to use them during the season to do intervals if I don't feel comfortable outside for whatever reason - darkness, etc. 

On that note - do any of you use the trainer during the season?  If so, what do you do about your tires?  My trainer absolutely shreds tires, so I can't figure out how to use it other than spend the time to put a tire on and then take it off when I'm done, but with time as tight as it is, I won't bother doing any trainer rides at all even though I'd like the flexibility.

http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup.asp?igpk=2126176909 last almost 4000 "miles" Current bontranger is ok but will not last as long. The blue Tacx lasted forever, I evwntually blew out the sidewall. Rode it on the road a few times as well. I bought locally.

So you change the tire from your road tire to the trainer tire when you go on the trainer?  I'm lazy, but I guess I'll have to either become a tire changing expert or bag the trainer for the spring/summer/fall.

2011-04-07 8:16 PM

User image

Elite
Most nutrition issues are pacing mistakes in disguise.

To offer up specifics to the various races - it would help to understand what you do during the race, your power output on the bike and the basis that you used to build up the race strategy.

General points for athletes with chronic dehydration...
1 - train the ability to process a lot of fluid
2 - quantify sweat loss rates
3 - pacing will be limited by hydration, not fitness - address and accept this point
4 - cooling strategy for the race
5 - vented helmets, always
2011-04-10 9:53 PM
in reply to: #3431420

User image

Veteran
Richmond
wbayek - 2011-04-05 6:09 PM
aarondavidson - 2011-04-04 9:21 PM

So you change the tire from your road tire to the trainer tire when you go on the trainer?  I'm lazy, but I guess I'll have to either become a tire changing expert or bag the trainer for the spring/summer/fall.

Good question:

A few options might be: buy an extra trainer wheel you can swap or buy race tires and only use them for races and just let the "training" tires wear out on trainer and road and replace.  Now that I am a two bike owner, I am currently riding my road bike on trainer and tri bike on road to keep from having to spend any time switching, and I'm babying my new tri bike a little by now putting on trainer.  But I think I need to train more on the tri bike because I am not yet getting use to the position, very uncomfortable and that is doing less than half the distance of IMCDA.

2011-04-11 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3435343

User image

Veteran
Richmond

aarondavidson - 2011-04-07 8:16 PM Most nutrition issues are pacing mistakes in disguise.

To offer up specifics to the various races - it would help to understand what you do during the race, your power output on the bike and the basis that you used to build up the race strategy.

General points for athletes with chronic dehydration...
1 - train the ability to process a lot of fluid
2 - quantify sweat loss rates
3 - pacing will be limited by hydration, not fitness - address and accept this point
4 - cooling strategy for the race
5 - vented helmets, always

Thanks for that advice.  I'm as worried about keeping up with nutrition and hydration as much as, being able to complete the hills on the bike course.

2011-04-11 8:38 AM
in reply to: #3429043

User image

Veteran
Richmond
itsallrelative_Maine - 2011-04-04 12:58 PM

Race report is here.

I'm struggling with how totally spent I was after this race (and still am today) and contemplating tacking a 56 mile bike ride and 1.2 mile swim on top of that feeling. It's definitely spooking me. I have a pretty good base and (prior to yesterday) thought I could finish a HIM today if I had to (I know I could cover the distance for each sport)...now, I'm not so sure. The HIM plan kicks in at the end of April, so I'm going to just play for the next couple of weeks.

For those of you finishing a HIM who did a half marathon before - how does the level of exhaustion compare? Is there something I should/could do to be better prepared? Maybe higher effort on the training days to better simulate race-day conditions? Pace differently during the race? Don't know...

I'll have to read your race report this week sometime, but great job on a hilly course.  I'm not sure how to answer that question though, I thought the same thing after my half marathon last month "how the heck can I do a full IM" if I feel like that after just a half marathon.  I think it has to do with these shorter races can be just as much of a challenge (to a degree) with the intensity level so much higher.  This is a good reminder to me to just trust your training plan, if you complete the training, then you will be alright on race day.  Create a mental bank and make deposits in it with good days and forget about any tough days after a little reflection.

You're going to do great in your HIM!!

2011-04-16 6:20 PM

User image

NH

Did my longest run to date today - 15 miles.  It was a bit tough due to wind.  I was actually hoping to get a long run in some heat (relative heat) since the HM I'm doing in 2 weeks may be a bit warmer.  Unfortunately, it was 42 when I started, so I didn't get the heat acclimation.  Hopefully the weather stays cool.

And Jennifer, I agree with Matt - with your training and all summer ahead of you, you're gonna nail the 70.3.  The HM course you just did is loads harder than what you'll see at Pumpkinman.

How is everyone's IM training going?  I poke into your logs but I've been busier at work than expected so I haven't been commenting. 

Edited by wbayek 2011-04-16 6:45 PM
2011-04-20 7:21 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

Hello all,

Just a quick note...I got to see the Boston Marathon in person on Monday - it was awesome! I would really recommend going to see a big event like that if you have the opportunity. Other than getting to see the elites perform amazing feats (the course record was broken Monday with a 2:03), and the AGers do a great job - it was really cool to have all of these runners out and about. Everywhere we went there was always at least one person that was going to run/had run.

Also - big news for me...I got a new (to me) bike. It's used, hopefully gently (the seller said he only rode it alternate Sundays ;-) ) and is a 2009 Kestrel. It's raining today so I can't take it out, but I am hoping I will get a chance tomorrow. I'm very excited as the 1997 Cannondale is getting more and more grumpy the more I ride it. I'll post pics in my blog once I've had a chance to get it out of the box (it was delivered while I was in Boston - talk about cruel!).

Hope everyone's training is going well - IMCDA is right around the corner...it's Matt, Rene and possibly Aaron, right? Warren's got a HM in a week or so...anyone else?

Have a great day!

2011-04-20 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3456049

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Awesome news, Jennifer. congrats on the new bike...and it sounds like a fun trip for the family. I'm gonna have to try to go to Boston some year to watch.
2011-04-22 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
WA

Congrats on the new bike Jen!  That is cool you got to see Boston on top of that!

I updated my blog to reflect my last 2 1/2 months of training.  Hope everyone has a great weekend of training!

2011-04-22 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3460988

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Looking Great, Rene. You've got some monster rides there (and some monster Gators). Nice!

2011-04-23 6:24 AM
in reply to: #3456049

User image

Elite
itsallrelative_Maine - 2011-04-20 8:21 AM

Hello all,

Just a quick note...I got to see the Boston Marathon in person on Monday - it was awesome! I would really recommend going to see a big event like that if you have the opportunity. Other than getting to see the elites perform amazing feats (the course record was broken Monday with a 2:03), and the AGers do a great job - it was really cool to have all of these runners out and about. Everywhere we went there was always at least one person that was going to run/had run.

Also - big news for me...I got a new (to me) bike. It's used, hopefully gently (the seller said he only rode it alternate Sundays ;-) ) and is a 2009 Kestrel. It's raining today so I can't take it out, but I am hoping I will get a chance tomorrow. I'm very excited as the 1997 Cannondale is getting more and more grumpy the more I ride it. I'll post pics in my blog once I've had a chance to get it out of the box (it was delivered while I was in Boston - talk about cruel!).

Hope everyone's training is going well - IMCDA is right around the corner...it's Matt, Rene and possibly Aaron, right? Warren's got a HM in a week or so...anyone else?

Have a great day!

I am out of IMCDA. Congrats on the new bike. Bikes frames can last basically forever. Components wear out, but can easily be replaced. 
2011-04-23 8:15 AM

User image

NH

There's some serious rides in that log Rene, looking good.  Sorry to hear you're out Aaron, but your training looks good anyway.

Congrats on the bike Jennifer, and get ready to start your plan this week.  You're gonna kill that 70.3.

I have a HM next weekend, the goal is to hold 8:35 and negative split the course.

2011-04-24 8:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond

Congrats on the new bike and being able to watcht the Boston marathon.  I've signed up for the second year in row for the NYC marathon, almost hope I don't get it this year.  If you sign up like 3 years in a row and don't get it you automatically qualify, so I'd like to run that as a milestone big marathon.

I'm sorry hear your not joining Rene and I at CDA, we will miss you (assuming I make it there!).  Workouts and weeks are getting really tough, outside my previously known limits. 

Rene you are kicking some serious butt, keep it up man!!

Hope everyone is doing well.  Happy Easter!!

2011-04-25 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3463067

User image

Expert
WA
mdfahy - 2011-04-23 6:44 PM

I'm sorry hear your not joining Rene and I at CDA, we will miss you (assuming I make it there!).  Workouts and weeks are getting really tough, outside my previously known limits. 

I don't even want to hear that after a 5 hour ride and that long swim!!  You will make it there and you will be ready!

2011-04-25 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3461981

User image

Expert
WA

aarondavidson - 2011-04-22 4:24 PM
I am out of IMCDA.

Wow!  Surprised to hear that!!  It must have taken a lot of soul searching to pass this up.  Sorry to hear that Aaron!

2011-04-25 12:34 PM
in reply to: #3462061

User image

Expert
WA

I have a HM next weekend, the goal is to hold 8:35 and negative split the course.

Good luck Warren you will do great!!

2011-05-01 2:51 PM

User image

NH
I feel like I nailed my half today: 1:51:14.  The final pace is about 8:29, right where I hoped to be, but I faded badly the last few miles.  After mile 10 I was at 1:24:15, felt pretty strong, and secretly wondered if 1:50 was in range, but no way.  I wasn't sure if it was really fading or the fact that the last 3 miles were right on the coast directly into a truly evil wind.  I wasn't passed much and actually passed quite a few people even though my paces slowed to the 8:45-8:55 range.  Or maybe I just have 10 mile fitness right now!

Edited by wbayek 2011-05-01 3:09 PM
2011-05-02 6:09 AM
in reply to: #3476047

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

wbayek - 2011-05-01 3:51 AM I feel like I nailed my half today: 1:51:14.

That's great news! No blowup due to nutrition, good steady pace, great job! Now you know you can do it.

2011-05-02 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3476047

User image

Veteran
Richmond

wbayek - 2011-05-01 2:51 PM I feel like I nailed my half today: 1:51:14.  The final pace is about 8:29, right where I hoped to be, but I faded badly the last few miles.  After mile 10 I was at 1:24:15, felt pretty strong, and secretly wondered if 1:50 was in range, but no way.  I wasn't sure if it was really fading or the fact that the last 3 miles were right on the coast directly into a truly evil wind.  I wasn't passed much and actually passed quite a few people even though my paces slowed to the 8:45-8:55 range.  Or maybe I just have 10 mile fitness right now!

Awesome job on the HM!!!  We all knew you would nail it!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76