BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 105

2010-07-19 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2770346

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!!
Dirk- Nice job on the swim & bike. Wish being angry would make me that fast

I'm in upstate NY visiting my parents. We survived the flight thanks to a portable DVD player. I got in a short swim yesterday. Fortunately my parents have a pool. It's a decent size, but not an Oly size, so I have to do 4 lengths to do 50 M. I was only able to do 650 M totally before getting interrupted and having to cut the workout short, but I figured it was better than nothing.

2010-07-19 8:48 AM

Expert
Ann Arbor
I just got done with a nice 1hr trainer session.  64TSS points is all I feel safe ding today.  I've got another sprint tri on Wednesday, and then it's 1.5 weeks till Steelhead.

David- DAMN.  One of my personal goals is to average 20+mph for any sort of training ride over 1hr.  I've racked countless around 18-19.  I just need to push it a little more.

Edited by carlwithac 2010-07-19 8:49 AM
2010-07-19 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2989155

User image

Champion
jpbis26 - 2010-07-19 7:11 AM

Dirk- Nice job on the swim & bike. Wish being angry would make me that fast

I'm in upstate NY visiting my parents. We survived the flight thanks to a portable DVD player. I got in a short swim yesterday. Fortunately my parents have a pool. It's a decent size, but not an Oly size, so I have to do 4 lengths to do 50 M. I was only able to do 650 M totally before getting interrupted and having to cut the workout short, but I figured it was better than nothing.

where in NY are you? I've spent a lot of time in the last few years in up stateNY
2010-07-19 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2988888

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
newbz - 2010-07-19 1:01 AM dirk nice job!~ I did my longest ride every tonight over a rolling course, 106 miles in 5:02. legs are totally shot right now but after a nice recovery beer and some food, things are feeling awesome! (we'll see tomorrow though......). hope everyone had a great weekend.

Nice work David....you're an animal.  You've probably already said this, so forgive me, but what are you training for??
2010-07-19 12:18 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore
I have power envy.  I saw a (supposedly) lightly used HED Jet 6 with Powertap Pro+ and wheelcover for $1500.

2 questions - A) is that a good deal? 2) can the Jet 6 be used as both a training and racing wheel?

Another problem is I've already got a rear race wheel (404 with wheelcover), so it'd be a gamble if I can get back what I paid for it (bought it used too).  Hence I was thinking about crank based but those are wicked $$$$ new and hard to come by used.

ETA: its listed on ST and he has a link to BT where he's logged just under 5,000 bike miles since 2009 and he said he's used the wheel for 1.5 years in the ad...so presumably, the wheel has a good chunk of miles on it.

Edited by jsiegs 2010-07-19 12:32 PM
2010-07-19 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2988564

User image

Master
Baltimore
DirkP - 2010-07-18 9:02 PM Well I just had what I would call and "Angry man ride."  I had a swim and 5k run on the schedule today but a storm kept me from the pool and my knee kept me from the run.  Oh, I tried the run but got a half mile into it and stopped because I was limping, stretched out a bit more and tried again.  I ran another half mile almost and stopped for the final time.  (Iknow the red font is technically the sarc font but right now it is serving as the "so angry I could explode font.)  I walked back to the house and contemplated whether I should rest or ride.  I chose the "angry man" ride to vent some major frustration.  I had a similar experience with my training last year getting ready for the same marathon and ended up not running at all for 2 months and giving up the opportunity to run a dream race.  I will rest my knee this week from running high mileage and will wait another day or so before I do anything for running at all. 

The good news is that I smashed the pedal on my bike and turned a 20 mile TT kind of.  I did a total of almost 21 miles including the first mile as kind of a WU with 2 stops to adjust my rear derailleur, then I started mashing.  I averaged the last 20 miles and got 20.42mph avg.  I also had a couple of stops/slows at stops signs and had to wait on 1 person as they stared at me at a stop sign.

I have ranted now I will cam down and begin to attempt to lower my BP.

haha, angry workouts are my favorite.  Sometimes I get so pissed that something hurts that I go harder.  Luckly it hasn't done anything too badly to me thus far (I can only think of 2 times this happened).  You can also take a wrong turn on a run course, and get angry.  That "worked" for me in a race (well, I was determined to pass the 2 guys who had passed me, and I did).  The last, but probably least encouraged was is to get run into traffic by a truck that turns right and cuts you off, get to a light, flip out at the guy, have him get out, be ready to throw down (dropping f-bombs like they're hot), then have the light turn and him drive away.  When your HR jumps to 200 standing still and adrenaline is pumping like crazy, you can ride really, really fast.

2010-07-19 12:40 PM
in reply to: #2988049

User image

Master
Baltimore
jgerbodegrant - 2010-07-18 1:28 PM Anybody know where I can score a good deal on some xlab gorilla cages?  My rear hyd system launches bottles like nobody's business and I'm sick of it.

Here's another question for those of you with tall bikes:  I can't use my profile designs aero drink because it doesn't allow me to rack my bike from the front.  I obvisouly can't rack my bike from the back because my seat is always 5" taller than the rack itself.  Has anyone found a solution for this?  right now I have a cage zip-tied to my aero bars, which works, but I drink more often if the PD aero drink is there.

I had the same problem recently.  I usually rack on my handlebar/brake levers, but at the HIM they mandated racking by the seat.  My seat was too high to fit under and rack by the nose, and I think I have the same xlab bottle holder you do.  I was able to just balance the xlab on the rack.  It was wobbly for sure, and I was worried my stuff (helmet and glasses resting on the handlebars) would be knocked off by others going through T1 before me.  It was fine though.  Just balance it well as you set up.  That or swim fast enough so you get to T1 before those around you
2010-07-19 12:48 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Sorry, long lunch = too many posts.  This time weird foot issue.  Last fall/winter, I often felt like I had a rock in my right shoe when I started runs.  It was inside middle of my arch, slightly towards the front.  I thought it was the shoe, since it would eventually go away and I never noticed it otherwise.  Got new shoes (still Nikes though), soon after and never a problem again, until now.  Same feeling, same place, always to start a run, and eventually wearing away (if I feel it again during a run, its short).  Its less often/intense now too.  However, I've starting feeling it every once and awhile in regular shoes too.  I'll notice a sharp pinch, like I stepped on a splinter (though there is never anything) when standing around, especially if moving foot positions around a lot. 

Any thoughts?  COuld I have a cyst or lump in my foot?  It doesn't bother me enough to keep me from running or anything, so I'm not ready to consult a doctor just yet.
2010-07-19 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2990019

User image

jsiegs - 2010-07-19 8:18 AM I have power envy.  I saw a (supposedly) lightly used HED Jet 6 with Powertap Pro+ and wheelcover for $1500.

2 questions - A) is that a good deal? 2) can the Jet 6 be used as both a training and racing wheel?

Another problem is I've already got a rear race wheel (404 with wheelcover), so it'd be a gamble if I can get back what I paid for it (bought it used too).  Hence I was thinking about crank based but those are wicked $$$$ new and hard to come by used.

ETA: its listed on ST and he has a link to BT where he's logged just under 5,000 bike miles since 2009 and he said he's used the wheel for 1.5 years in the ad...so presumably, the wheel has a good chunk of miles on it.

I don't think $1500 is a very good deal at all.  You can order a brand new Zipp 404 custom built PT wheel (pro+ hub) with a wheel cover for $1750 from wheelbuilder.com.  The computer is separate...so your total cost maybe about $1950.  I would say $1200 would be more of a fair price assuming 5000 miles.

2010-07-19 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2989371

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
newbz - 2010-07-19 9:17 AM
jpbis26 - 2010-07-19 7:11 AM Dirk- Nice job on the swim & bike. Wish being angry would make me that fast

where in NY are you? I've spent a lot of time in the last few years in up stateNY

Buffalo area. Nice job on that ride. I only go 20mph if I'm going down a hill
2010-07-19 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2990113

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
jsiegs - 2010-07-20 2:48 AM Sorry, long lunch = too many posts.  This time weird foot issue.  Last fall/winter, I often felt like I had a rock in my right shoe when I started runs.  It was inside middle of my arch, slightly towards the front.  I thought it was the shoe, since it would eventually go away and I never noticed it otherwise.  Got new shoes (still Nikes though), soon after and never a problem again, until now.  Same feeling, same place, always to start a run, and eventually wearing away (if I feel it again during a run, its short).  Its less often/intense now too.  However, I've starting feeling it every once and awhile in regular shoes too.  I'll notice a sharp pinch, like I stepped on a splinter (though there is never anything) when standing around, especially if moving foot positions around a lot. 

Any thoughts?  COuld I have a cyst or lump in my foot?  It doesn't bother me enough to keep me from running or anything, so I'm not ready to consult a doctor just yet.

Maybe worth a read for you:

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/self-muscle-massage-series/self-muscle-massage-pt-9-the-foot/

2010-07-19 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2990113

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
jsiegs - 2010-07-19 1:48 PM Sorry, long lunch = too many posts.  This time weird foot issue.  Last fall/winter, I often felt like I had a rock in my right shoe when I started runs.  It was inside middle of my arch, slightly towards the front.  I thought it was the shoe, since it would eventually go away and I never noticed it otherwise.  Got new shoes (still Nikes though), soon after and never a problem again, until now.  Same feeling, same place, always to start a run, and eventually wearing away (if I feel it again during a run, its short).  Its less often/intense now too.  However, I've starting feeling it every once and awhile in regular shoes too.  I'll notice a sharp pinch, like I stepped on a splinter (though there is never anything) when standing around, especially if moving foot positions around a lot. 

I'd like to know what you find out.  My training partner has the same exact issue.  He traded in two pairs of shoes thinking that it was the shoes. 
2010-07-20 6:32 AM
in reply to: #2990524

User image

Master
Baltimore
tri808 - 2010-07-19 3:32 PM
jsiegs - 2010-07-19 8:18 AM I have power envy.  I saw a (supposedly) lightly used HED Jet 6 with Powertap Pro+ and wheelcover for $1500.

I don't think $1500 is a very good deal at all.  You can order a brand new Zipp 404 custom built PT wheel (pro+ hub) with a wheel cover for $1750 from wheelbuilder.com.  The computer is separate...so your total cost maybe about $1950.  I would say $1200 would be more of a fair price assuming 5000 miles.

yeah, i sort of came to the same conclusion as I was posting.  Haha, was sort of hoping someone would convince me to go for it though
2010-07-20 6:49 AM
in reply to: #2990524

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
tri808 - 2010-07-19 3:32 PM

I agree....you can definitely get a better price.  Before I bought my tri bike, I thought about just buying a power meter instead.  There are better deals out there and more often than you would think.
2010-07-21 7:04 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
I've been pretty diligent about counting calories and trying to get in some activity during this vacation. I know I won't be able to do as much as I normally do, but I'm forcing myself to do something. Yesterday I did a short 3 mile run. Fortunately, my parents are very supportive of my exercise & weight loss efforts, so we have not been eating out. I was able to go grocery shopping and stock up on some healthier foods, so that makes things easier.

Unfortunately, my grandma has been baking an average of one desert a day (cake, brownies, etc) and leaving it out on the kitchen counter. She made something she called "oatzies" yesterday and said they were a healthy snack b/c they had oatmeal in them. Well, the other main ingredients were chocolate, corn syrup, and peanuts....hmmm, don't think that will help me with the weight loss
I'm gonna try to get in a swim & run today.
2010-07-21 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2993993

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
jpbis26 - 2010-07-21 9:04 PM I've been pretty diligent about counting calories and trying to get in some activity during this vacation. I know I won't be able to do as much as I normally do, but I'm forcing myself to do something. Yesterday I did a short 3 mile run. Fortunately, my parents are very supportive of my exercise & weight loss efforts, so we have not been eating out. I was able to go grocery shopping and stock up on some healthier foods, so that makes things easier.

Unfortunately, my grandma has been baking an average of one desert a day (cake, brownies, etc) and leaving it out on the kitchen counter. She made something she called "oatzies" yesterday and said they were a healthy snack b/c they had oatmeal in them. Well, the other main ingredients were chocolate, corn syrup, and peanuts....hmmm, don't think that will help me with the weight loss
I'm gonna try to get in a swim & run today.

Actually, those oatzies sound pretty good.  Of course, it all comes down to balancing calorie intake against your exercise.  I end up eating too many Buffalo wings and pizza when I visit the Buffalo area.  

2010-07-21 12:47 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
haha...yes the oatzies are pretty good. Don't get me started with the pizza and wings, I won't be able to stop
2010-07-21 6:37 PM
in reply to: #2995079

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Yeah this is my weakness too.  I love to eat cakes and ice cream and cookies and bread and steak and hamburgers and..........  Well you get the point.  I have tols my wife that if I ever quit training I am going to get as big as a hog in a hurry because I will forget I need to slow down my caloric intake.

My knee seems to have worked itself out.  I ran a 5k last night and didn't have any problems.  I think I was trying to get to many miles on my shoes.  I had 380 on them before the run started and I was trying to pus them to 400.  After I thought about it I remembered a of year ago I decided to retire my shoes after about 375 miles.  I am planning a 5 mile easy run tonight, close to the house so I can quit and walk home if I need to. 

Edit: I just finished a 5mile run and it felt good.  I didn't have any issues with my knee with exception of the very first step when I started.  From the second step on I had nothing.  I have convinced myself that I pushed the shoes to far.  And I will now only use shoes up to 350 miles.  I would rather ere on the side of safety with my knee than on a few bucks for a pair of shoes and 375 miles.  I have breathed a sigh of relief after these past 2 runs.

BTW, I am keeping the runs this week at a pretty easy pace to allow some recovery but I am not planning on backing the mileage down much if at all.  Next week will be a taper week before my next tri.

Edited by DirkP 2010-07-21 8:34 PM
2010-07-22 9:06 AM

Expert
Ann Arbor
I raced another sprint last night and I improved by almost 5mins. 

RR

To me, it felt like my best race performance yet.  I was a huge confidence builder and I got 3rd in my AG.
2010-07-22 3:30 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Carl- Awesome job! Really quick transitions and great times in all areas.
2010-07-22 4:59 PM
in reply to: #2997090

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Good race.  Sounds like you went with a plan and were able to put into action.  I am hoping my T1 time can improve from my last one but yours looks pretty goo to me. 

2010-07-22 9:44 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Let's get this straight....Contador is still a DB.
2010-07-23 6:25 AM
in reply to: #2999190

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jgerbodegrant - 2010-07-22 10:44 PM Let's get this straight....Contador is still a DB.

I haven't been keeping up on TdF enough.  I have about 5 stages to watch on the dvr and today might be a decent day to do some catching up.  I have to clean carpets today and then maybe sit down and start catching up.  The last stage I saw was when Renshaw got DQ'd, so don't throw any spoilers out just yet.

2010-07-23 7:00 AM
in reply to: #2997090

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
carlwithac - 2010-07-22 11:06 PM I raced another sprint last night and I improved by almost 5mins. 

RR

To me, it felt like my best race performance yet.  I was a huge confidence builder and I got 3rd in my AG.

Nice job Carl!! 
2010-07-23 7:38 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
I did my second Oly of the year and third ever triathlon last Sunday.   I've been waiting to see the official results before posting anything and they finally got around to posting the results yesterday.   It was a small race and for some reason, they're always slow at getting the results out.    I'll be doing an RR in the next couple of days to share all the details.   The main highlight for me was the swim because I finally had a major breakthrough -- really major. 

In my Tri in June I did the swim in 37:23.  I resorted to sidestroke and backstroke to get through it.   This time around I managed to swim the whole thing crawl and everything seemed to click.   My time was 27:22 which put me at 43/132 overall and 8/28 in my age group.   I'm still in shock and wondering if I'll be able to come close to repeating that performance a month from now for my last Tri this year.    

The bike course was darned tough (for me at least) and the run was super hot/humid (more in the RR).  I ended up finishing in 3:09:28 --  82/132 overall and 17/28 in my age group.    I'm happy with the results.  I know I have lots of room for improvement in all three disciplines and it is great to see some positive progress.   
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 105