BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 87

2011-03-19 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3256199

User image

New Haven, CT
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 Mentor Group - CLOSED

Report from today's race, its a PR

Savin Rock HM (1:57:17 - garmin time, official results pending)

I was undertrained and hadn't run more that 10 miles in a month.  work and faimly has taken priority to trainign as it should.  BUT I still laid down a sub 2 hr HM on a crazy hard course, which is very gratifying and means i do have the base to race.  That said, if i am expecting to go longer this year - particualrly the Hartford Marathon, I need to get in my longer work outs with better consistency.  If this had been a 18 or 20 mile race, i would have been in trouble.  Here is the report:

Strategy/Prerace: As I am undertrained my strategy was to run purely by HR.  My plan was to keep HR under 155 for the first 10 miles and see what I had left and run as fast a 5K as i was capable.  Yesterday I ate low fiber carbs.  After dinner (spaghetti and sauce) I had a bottle of infinite.  Woke up at 530, coffee, honey nut cheerios.  Sipped infinite on the way to the race.  Warm up was a mile jog with some pick ups.  stretched, used the potty and went to the start line.

Start: ran with a group of Sharks in the 150-200 group.  Miles 1-3 were flat and I just took it easy, my HR was >150 and pace was about 8:20.  the race started running out the causeway along the beach, the temp was perfect but it was very windy probably 20 mph winds coming off teh water.

Miles 3-10: After turning off the beach and taking a let back to Savin Rock, the race turned right on Kellsey and the hills begun.  The hills were insane.  long rollers switching back and forth along Jones Hill.  Sicne I had never run this course or even looked at the map I did not realize it was hilly, let along insane hilly.  So much for my HR strategy.  So I went to trying to keep my HR under 170 uphill and recover on teh down hills, tehre must have been a dozen rollers, usually 1/2 mile or so in length.  There was also some short severe hills.

Miles 10-13.1: I ran most of the race with a buddy from high school, at mile 10 the course started flattening out a bit at about mile 11.  We picked up the pace a bit, I could not stay with him, but ran with this girl running her first HM who kept asking me how far we had left, she was clearly nervous, so I told her stupid jokes and made fun of her for only being 23 and that she did not want an old man to beat her. 

Finish: Gotta love uphill finishes!

Post Race/What Would I ahve Done Differently: I was undertrained.  Other than training more I executed my strategy as best I could have given the course which was very hard.  I should have looked at the course map and realized the middle 8 miles were rollers and gone out faster to make up some time on the front end.  Nutrition was Roctane and water.  I shoudl have also realized the aid stations were sparse and carried water because I was a bit thirtsy.  Candidly, I may start carrying water in longer races as aid stations done seem to work great for me.  I was a little bloated at the end, which may have been the cheerios.   

I have legs, I got to run along the beach with friends on a beautiful almost spring morning.  Pretty lucky.  Its more imporant for me to be an A+ father/husband and A+ lawyer.  If I can only be a B triathlete, I am okay with that and, candily, i seem to do better when i dont get all rat racy about it.  Oh, I need a new inhaler, execise induced asthma is annoying.  Will try and spin out the legs this evening and bike and swim tomorrow.  this race and its ups and down was a good wake up call if I am going to have a good time at Rev3.

2011-03-19 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3404808

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
nice race for everything you described, glad you ended with a sub 2 hour time
2011-03-19 4:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
jsklarz - 2011-03-19 3:42 PM

I was undertrained and hadn't run more that 10 miles in a month.  work and faimly has taken priority to trainign as it should.  BUT I still laid down a sub 2 hr HM on a crazy hard course, which is very gratifying and means i do have the base to race.  That said, if i am expecting to go longer this year - particualrly the Hartford Marathon, I need to get in my longer work outs with better consistency.  If this had been a 18 or 20 mile race, i would have been in trouble.  Here is the report:

Strategy/Prerace: As I am undertrained my strategy was to run purely by HR.  My plan was to keep HR under 155 for the first 10 miles and see what I had left and run as fast a 5K as i was capable.  Yesterday I ate low fiber carbs.  After dinner (spaghetti and sauce) I had a bottle of infinite.  Woke up at 530, coffee, honey nut cheerios.  Sipped infinite on the way to the race.  Warm up was a mile jog with some pick ups.  stretched, used the potty and went to the start line.

Start: ran with a group of Sharks in the 150-200 group.  Miles 1-3 were flat and I just took it easy, my HR was >150 and pace was about 8:20.  the race started running out the causeway along the beach, the temp was perfect but it was very windy probably 20 mph winds coming off teh water.

Miles 3-10: After turning off the beach and taking a let back to Savin Rock, the race turned right on Kellsey and the hills begun.  The hills were insane.  long rollers switching back and forth along Jones Hill.  Sicne I had never run this course or even looked at the map I did not realize it was hilly, let along insane hilly.  So much for my HR strategy.  So I went to trying to keep my HR under 170 uphill and recover on teh down hills, tehre must have been a dozen rollers, usually 1/2 mile or so in length.  There was also some short severe hills.

Miles 10-13.1: I ran most of the race with a buddy from high school, at mile 10 the course started flattening out a bit at about mile 11.  We picked up the pace a bit, I could not stay with him, but ran with this girl running her first HM who kept asking me how far we had left, she was clearly nervous, so I told her stupid jokes and made fun of her for only being 23 and that she did not want an old man to beat her. 

Post Race/What Would I ahve Done Differently: I was undertrained.  Other than training more I executed my strategy as best I could have given the course which was very hard.  I should have looked at the course map and realized the middle 8 miles were rollers and gone out faster to make up some time on the front end.  Nutrition was Roctane and water.  I shoudl have also realized the aid stations were sparse and carried water because I was a bit thirtsy.  Candidly, I may start carrying water in longer races as aid stations done seem to work great for me.  I was a little bloated at the end, which may have been the cheerios.   

I have legs, I got to run along the beach with friends on a beautiful almost spring morning.  Pretty lucky.  Its more imporant for me to be an A+ father/husband and A+ lawyer.  If I can only be a B triathlete, I am okay with that and, candily, i seem to do better when i dont get all rat racy about it.  Oh, I need a new inhaler, execise induced asthma is annoying.  Will try and spin out the legs this evening and bike and swim tomorrow.  this race and its ups and down was a good wake up call if I am going to have a good time at Rev3.

Fantastic job!

2011-03-19 4:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
Good day in the mountains with friends x-country skiing. Windy and sometimes very crusty snow. Lots of hill climbs rewarded by cruises back down. Stayed about 2 1/2 hours until the wind really began kicking up. Not sure how much distace we covered but definitley several miles of hilly high altitude terrain.
2011-03-19 5:05 PM

User image

Expert

jsklarz, "Undertrained"?????  I think that's a pretty good job.  Nice work.

I also feel out of place in this group now. Wink  Everyone's a lawyer!  I feel a little better as of late though.  I recently read The Lincoln lawyer by Michael Connelly and went to see the movie last night.  So, I know some of the lingo now!!  I never realized how may deals were struck on the sidelines!!!  Very interesting!  I do reccommend the book and movie, check it out.

2011-03-19 6:19 PM
in reply to: #3404903

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
Not all of us are laywers-you could probably tell by my user name what I do.  I also feel a bit intimidated by the posts at times, but  I continue to really get a lot from the information shared here and hope it stays active for quite while longer.

2011-03-19 6:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
I noticed that with one more post I got anotherlittle green star-so that is what this one is about.
2011-03-19 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3404952

User image

New Haven, CT

Artist - 2011-03-19 7:19 PM Not all of us are laywers-you could probably tell by my user name what I do.  I also feel a bit intimidated by the posts at times, but  I continue to really get a lot from the information shared here and hope it stays active for quite while longer.

dont be intimidated by the times.  whatever your time there is always someone faster.  as einstein said, time is relative

the more you train, the faster you get.  the problem is its diminishing returns.  the faster you get the harder it is to wring speed gains out.  Pro train all year for 1 race in the hope they can improve by a few minutes or less! 

oh, being a lawyer pretty much sucks, so not like ALlie Mcbeal

2011-03-19 7:35 PM
in reply to: #3404953

User image

New Haven, CT

Artist - 2011-03-19 7:21 PM I noticed that with one more post I got anotherlittle green star-so that is what this one is about.

post tracker - the star colors related to number of posts.  i turned mine off as i didnt quite understand the point... do COJ and you can really increase your posts.

2011-03-19 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3404952

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Artist - 2011-03-19 7:19 PM Not all of us are laywers-you could probably tell by my user name what I do.  I also feel a bit intimidated by the posts at times, but  I continue to really get a lot from the information shared here and hope it stays active for quite while longer.

Post counts mean doody, some of the biggest posters on this site don't even race or train. COJ and TAN account for a ton of some users posts. FYI, since i started the acronyms, COJ is "cup of Joe", or a general forum about anything and everything. TAN is "thread about nothing"...seriously. You are all lucky, this is a sopper dooper mentor group with a great leader, they are not all like this. I love coming in here and reading, you are all inspirations!!!

2011-03-19 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3403682

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
kaburns1214 - 2011-03-18 1:40 PM

Nothing to do with triathlon but I had to share:

Pikachu Kitten

Where is PETA when you actually need them.

2011-03-19 7:46 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Great Job Bro!!!  Awesome!!!!  Us big guys hate the hills, if it was flat you woulda been sub 1:45

2011-03-19 8:42 PM

Extreme Veteran

Sub 2:00 is great for a first half marathon.  I think everyone is undertrained for their first big race and I don't think it really matters.  Pick a half at the end of the year and I think you'll see a huge improvement.

2011-03-19 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3405011

User image

Extreme Veteran
Price, UT
I actually could care less about post counts-I was just having fun. I usually don't even look at anyones post counts including mine-but today ity caught my eye so I just couldn't resist the inane post to gin a green star
2011-03-19 10:36 PM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
jsklarz - 2011-03-19 1:42 PM

nicely done!! Congrats!

2011-03-20 1:36 AM
in reply to: #3405068

User image

New Haven, CT

bwingate - 2011-03-19 9:42 PM

Sub 2:00 is great for a first half marathon.  I think everyone is undertrained for their first big race and I don't think it really matters.  Pick a half at the end of the year and I think you'll see a huge improvement.

not my first HM, but happy with the result.  Hadnt done a HM since boston 4 years ago, which was a much easier course.  this course was a beast.  no HM in the fall, a rematch with the Hartford Marathon, got my azz beaten in last year, need a ton of base work between now and then, that second 13.1 is the tricky part.

2011-03-20 1:38 AM
in reply to: #3405020

User image

New Haven, CT
Rudedog55 - 2011-03-19 8:46 PM

Great Job Bro!!!  Awesome!!!!  Us big guys hate the hills, if it was flat you woulda been sub 1:45

thanks buddy!

2011-03-20 6:56 AM
in reply to: #3405201

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
jsklarz - 2011-03-20 2:38 AM
Rudedog55 - 2011-03-19 8:46 PM

thanks buddy!

Nice job Jeff-y!

Triple training day.  Run this morning, then an easy swim, pacing Shaun at an 8K this afternoon and then Tabatas on the bike tonight.  Going to end up with 21 - ish hours for the week.  Pretty tired.  One more week before recovery.

2011-03-20 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3405249

User image

Expert

Going to end up with 21 - ish hours for the week.  Pretty tired.  One more week before recovery.

That's freaking awesome, and INSANE!!!!!  Nice work.  Heading out for a 2 hour trail ride.  Terrain in Pachaug State Forest is brutal!

2011-03-20 9:39 AM

Extreme Veteran

My race report for yesterday's 15k:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=245247

I was warned that this race would be brutal, brutal, it was tough, but not reducing-grown-men-to-tears tough.  It was also smallish and well organized.  One odd thing that I noticed was that I was pretty far down in the standings - I almost always am just ahead of the middle.  Took me a while to figure out that this race scares away the casual 5k run-walker because of the distance and the hills so it wasn't that I was pushed down in the standings, but there just wasn't the volume of casual runners in the race.

2011-03-20 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Weigh in Sunday: 207And I was a lazy slob this week

2011-03-20 9:48 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Good job Jeff.

Today was brick day for me.   25 miles on the bike @ a little under 20 mph, and 4 plus run right at 8/mile.  Think I could push a little harder on the bike w/o seeing a drop off on the run.  Pacing has always been a crap shoot for me.

2011-03-20 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3405352

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
bwingate - 2011-03-20 10:39 AM

My race report for yesterday's 15k:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=245247

I was warned that this race would be brutal, brutal, it was tough, but not reducing-grown-men-to-tears tough.  It was also smallish and well organized.  One odd thing that I noticed was that I was pretty far down in the standings - I almost always am just ahead of the middle.  Took me a while to figure out that this race scares away the casual 5k run-walker because of the distance and the hills so it wasn't that I was pushed down in the standings, but there just wasn't the volume of casual runners in the race.

Nice job on a tough course. 

You're looking good for your marathon.

2011-03-20 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3405359

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
uhcoog - 2011-03-20 10:48 AM

Good job Jeff.

Today was brick day for me.   25 miles on the bike @ a little under 20 mph, and 4 plus run right at 8/mile.  Think I could push a little harder on the bike w/o seeing a drop off on the run.  Pacing has always been a crap shoot for me.

For your race take a look at this:

http://triathloncalculator.com/

It gives you a really good idea on hoe to pace the bike and run.  I've found it to be super accurate.

2011-03-20 12:29 PM
in reply to: #3405359

User image

New Haven, CT
uhcoog - 2011-03-20 10:48 AM

Good job Jeff.

great work.  hilly courses are more fun.  15K is a nice distance.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 87