BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 80

2012-06-26 10:24 PM
in reply to: #4282137

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod
jogo - 2012-06-27 11:13 AM

So I've biked a little, swam a little, ran a little, and I am the proud owner of a $50 Sugoi tri suit that was marked down $100.  I'm totally ready. Now just sit on my a$$ and wait for July 8th to get here.   Tongue out

Ha, JUST KIDDING!!!! Have no idea what the training will be for the next week and a half but my goal is just to keep doing something.  

Starting Paleo Whole30 tomorrow.  I apologize ahead of time for any b*tchiness or crabbiness that this may bring out. My DH's reaction:  "Really?  Can't you wait a couple of months?  I don't know if I can handle your youngest moving out, your empty nest syndrome, evil tri b*tch, and you WITHOUT wine or chocolate.  I may have to leave you a forwarding address and I'll come home when the 30 days is up."

That's not too far from my usual training plans ... right down to the cheap expensive suit ...

As for the Paleo ... BA HA HA HA! Okay, it might be like that for a week or so, but the truth is you'll probably feel so much better that you're happier and actually easier to live with after a brief, possibly destructive adjustment period.

2012-06-26 10:58 PM
in reply to: #4281931

User image

Master
rrrunner - 2012-06-26 5:15 PM

Felicia, we are in the mid 90's and don't have the humidity. It gets hot fast! Maybe racing the sprint is a good option, no?

All this talk of racing on the 8th I might have to do one i've been contemplating.  It's actually only a 5k! Surprised It's called the Pork & Brew 5k and the entry fee for the race includes a ticket to the local Pork & Brew festival. I did it two years ago before we moved here.  We were here on our house-hunting trip and our realtor told me about the race so I thought i'd do it since we were here, right? Well I was NOT prepared for the elevation or the dry heat (we lived in Omaha then).  So, yup, a 5k kicked my butt... I might have to do it to redeem myself (and get some beer & BBQ).

That sounds like a ton of fun!  Especially the beer part

2012-06-26 10:59 PM
in reply to: #4212573

User image

Master
Welcome back Tracy!  Sometimes I find I come back faster after a rest...
2012-06-26 11:37 PM

User image

Master
68km ride tonight, longest yet.  Saw tons of other cyclists out there.  I paid attention to my head position, and my neck/shoulders were definitely less sore.
2012-06-26 11:43 PM
in reply to: #4282200

User image

Melon Presser

bcraht - 2012-06-27 12:37 PM 68km ride tonight, longest yet.  Saw tons of other cyclists out there.  I paid attention to my head position, and my neck/shoulders were definitely less sore.

Congrats on the training PR -- you're just smokin' it right now, good race, great swim, longest bike!!!

Good news on the bike position, too. And you're likely acclimating to higher mileage on the bike as well.

2012-06-26 11:50 PM

User image

Melon Presser
rrrunner - 2012-06-27 8:15 AM

Felicia, we are in the mid 90's and don't have the humidity. It gets hot fast! Maybe racing the sprint is a good option, no?

All this talk of racing on the 8th I might have to do one i've been contemplating.  It's actually only a 5k! Surprised It's called the Pork & Brew 5k and the entry fee for the race includes a ticket to the local Pork & Brew festival. I did it two years ago before we moved here.  We were here on our house-hunting trip and our realtor told me about the race so I thought i'd do it since we were here, right? Well I was NOT prepared for the elevation or the dry heat (we lived in Omaha then).  So, yup, a 5k kicked my butt... I might have to do it to redeem myself (and get some beer & BBQ).

Pig. Beer. Race. Redemption.

No contemplation needed!

2012-06-27 12:05 AM
in reply to: #4281897

User image

Melon Presser
TriRx - 2012-06-27 7:45 AM

-Yanti – red-heads and lions… you go girl!

-Yanti – back in the saddle, cowgirl!  Be careful at that tri though!

-Yanti – yum (referring to your post race treat!)

-Yanti – you see the craziest stuff!  Hope you’re feeling better after that one.

My week was SUPER fun in Costa Rica – BEAUTIFUL down there!  But hot.  And apparently, training is an endangered species down there…only got 1 short run in.  But I’m back in line today and have only 1 month before my favorite race of the year – Door county ½ IM! 

I’m glad to be back, crew!!  Missed you!! (PS sorry for typos!

We're glad, too ... welcome back, Tracy! Like others said, I think the R&R probably did wonders to consolidate the training you've done thus far.

Yeeeep -- I'm trying to practice underdoing these days. It's an incredibly foreign and uncomfortable concept.

2012-06-27 12:24 AM
in reply to: #4281827

User image

Melon Presser
jobaxas - 2012-06-27 6:52 AM
Tripopo - 2012-06-26 4:15 PM

I'll be interested in the IM plan as well keep us updated

Man, I can't get out of the rut.  No idea why I just seem to be EXHAUSTED ALL THE TIME.  To the point that I can't get motivated to do anything more than what is required, like make it to work.  Hopefully I just need a weekend away to recharge, which will be this weekend just have to make it to thursday night.  Also doc appointment on monday to double check because this is just nuts.  I'm looking forward to the tri on the 8th but too tired to do any training...

I shall do some work on the IM plan probably Friday night - just put it all in a calendar, the Just to Finish and the Intermediate and I think i'll aim somewhere in the middle.  From the Beginner HIM training on BT I got up to 12 hours a week and it was very doable.  The Just to Finish for the FULL does 12 hours max.  I think I would prefer to get up to 17 hours which is where the intermediate sits.

I hear ya on the exhausted thing - i can blame winter and post HIM exhaustion and some hormonal issues I think!  But every night around 8.30 I sit on the couch and I'm asleep in seconds!  This is not me generally, I normally am buzzing around getting chores done until bedtime.  Oh well, just listen to my body.  I have doctor on Friday and I'm gonna get a round of blood tests done to check thyroid or anything else that could be making me sooooo weary!

Ho hum, also extremely busy at work!

Yes, both of you definitely get checked out! Best case, it's something easy to fix and worst case at least you have started the process of figuring it out. Hard enough to train sometimes anyway, much less when you're dragging.

Jo, from knowing the Fink programs inside and out (fifth training for IM now with them and seen countless others use them in various ways), and knowing you reasonably well, I would shoot for the Intermediate program. If you're having a tough few days, swap the workouts for the Just Finish ones, or even swap a week out if need be and readjust.

The thing about the Just Finish program is that it has ZERO wiggle room. It is a bare minimum, finish in 17 hours type of program. If you have to take a week off for illness or family, even if you have to skip workouts here and there, or if you have mechanicals or GI issues or anything wrong at all on the course--and it being IM, SOMETHING will go unpredictably--it puts you at risk of not finishing.

However, focusing on the Intermediate and using the Just Finish for fallback times--even half/half--I think would give you the comfortable margin of error that you need.

Oh yeah, and the swim part of the Fink plans are pants. Just keep going to squad!

2012-06-27 12:39 AM
in reply to: #4281774

User image

Melon Presser
KansasMom - 2012-06-27 6:10 AM

Good afternoon. It's 107 here today, so we are hanging out in air conditioning comfort and doing not much of anything.

I ran yesterday morning. I don't know if that was a good idea or not. It felt fine, but I've been a little wasted since.

Today, at noon, I did water aerobics with the other old women in town. I was the youngest there (I think), but most of the women seemed to be my mother's age. It still felt wonderful. After we finished, I swam easy for 10 minutes. The water is soooo hot. Already miserable in June.

After it cools down into the 90s, I may try a short/easy ride or maybe a light run.

I have to decide about a July 8th race -- I haven't signed up yet because I can't decide between the sprint or the oly. I want to do the oly, but I have worried about the swim. The swim Sunday went so well -- I actually felt stronger as I went on and not weaker -- but I'm fairly certain that course is a little short. The fastest guy did it in 1:03/100m. Without wet suit, I'm not buying it.

If I did the Oly, it would be just to finish, and I would be DFL again. It would be the longest I've ever been on my feet (3.5 to 4 hours, I estimate), and it will be blazing hot before I finish. Even the run on Sunday was getting hot, and it was shaded and not yet 9:00 a.m.

I don't know. A lot to think about.

A lot to think about, indeed. I don't think you're going to wreck yourself either way--I don't think you can make a wrong decision here--but here's my random $0.02.

An Oly is a long, tough race. It's even longer and tougher when it looks like the conditions will be brutal, it's the first attempt at the distance, and you don't feel confident about part of it.

A bad swim can set you up for a really bad day, and 1.5km is a loooong swim that takes a lot more preparation than just 2x sprint.

I think you see where I'm going here. From where I'm standing, the sprint would energize you, keep you in that MOP groove momentum, and capitalize on the training you've been doing.

The Olympic has the potential for making you dig deeper into the well than is optimal for your past and future training/racing, and being a demoralizing experience.

HOWEVER ...

You are one tough chickie who's used to tough conditions. If you like the pain cave, and if it's the sufferfest and joy of the risk itself reaching somewhere beyond where you should that lights a fire under your tushy, then go for it.

Again, if I really thought there was a BAD decision to be made here, I'd tell you. I don't think there is. Look at both the races, what you bring to them, and ask yourself what it is you want to get out of them.

2012-06-27 12:48 AM
in reply to: #4282226

User image

Elite
TriAya - 2012-06-27 12:24 AM
jobaxas - 2012-06-27 6:52 AM
Tripopo - 2012-06-26 4:15 PM

I'll be interested in the IM plan as well keep us updated

Man, I can't get out of the rut.  No idea why I just seem to be EXHAUSTED ALL THE TIME.  To the point that I can't get motivated to do anything more than what is required, like make it to work.  Hopefully I just need a weekend away to recharge, which will be this weekend just have to make it to thursday night.  Also doc appointment on monday to double check because this is just nuts.  I'm looking forward to the tri on the 8th but too tired to do any training...

I shall do some work on the IM plan probably Friday night - just put it all in a calendar, the Just to Finish and the Intermediate and I think i'll aim somewhere in the middle.  From the Beginner HIM training on BT I got up to 12 hours a week and it was very doable.  The Just to Finish for the FULL does 12 hours max.  I think I would prefer to get up to 17 hours which is where the intermediate sits.

I hear ya on the exhausted thing - i can blame winter and post HIM exhaustion and some hormonal issues I think!  But every night around 8.30 I sit on the couch and I'm asleep in seconds!  This is not me generally, I normally am buzzing around getting chores done until bedtime.  Oh well, just listen to my body.  I have doctor on Friday and I'm gonna get a round of blood tests done to check thyroid or anything else that could be making me sooooo weary!

Ho hum, also extremely busy at work!

Yes, both of you definitely get checked out! Best case, it's something easy to fix and worst case at least you have started the process of figuring it out. Hard enough to train sometimes anyway, much less when you're dragging.

Jo, from knowing the Fink programs inside and out (fifth training for IM now with them and seen countless others use them in various ways), and knowing you reasonably well, I would shoot for the Intermediate program. If you're having a tough few days, swap the workouts for the Just Finish ones, or even swap a week out if need be and readjust.

The thing about the Just Finish program is that it has ZERO wiggle room. It is a bare minimum, finish in 17 hours type of program. If you have to take a week off for illness or family, even if you have to skip workouts here and there, or if you have mechanicals or GI issues or anything wrong at all on the course--and it being IM, SOMETHING will go unpredictably--it puts you at risk of not finishing.

However, focusing on the Intermediate and using the Just Finish for fallback times--even half/half--I think would give you the comfortable margin of error that you need.

Oh yeah, and the swim part of the Fink plans are pants. Just keep going to squad!

Thanks Yanti - Intermediate is what I'll aim for.  I probably will finish in 16 hours and some minutes but wouldn't it be nice to be 15 hours and something.

I didn't even check the swims out at all - just where it said swim I inserted swim squad!  I figure doing 3km 3 times a week will do me a power of good!  And OWS in the spring through to IM.

2012-06-27 1:23 AM
in reply to: #4281706

User image

England
Tripopo - 2012-06-26 10:15 PM

Sounds odd.

No change in diet?

Maybe you're not drinking enough beer in the hot weather?

DW spiking your food to keep you at home?

Perhaps you just need to HTFU.

Dont think i'm helping much, so have a good weekend and i hope that sorts it out so the doc has nothing to find.Wink

Edited by ukweeble 2012-06-27 1:57 AM

2012-06-27 1:31 AM

User image

England
TriRx - 2012-06-27 12:45 AM

Holy posts, Manatees!  I’ve been gone for just over a week and had to read through almost 20 pages!!  Don’t fret though; I took some notes so as to not miss anything I was thining!   And hopefully none of you think I was spying on your conversations, because that’s kinda how I felt! J

Here goes (hopefully, I didn’t miss anything super important) (and if you’re like “wtf, tracy, where did this come from? Remember that I had to go wAAAAAAAAAAY back to catch up with y’all!!)

-Reece – Awesome Race!!  Well done sister!

-Jen – update on the writs?

-TJ – kickin butt in the pool! Way to go!  Doesn’t it feel good to have little “wins” here and there?!

-Yanti – red-heads and lions… you go girl!

-Salty – you’re cat it a cutie pie…and then: cats, cats and more cats!  EVERYONE, you’re cats are cutiepies!!

(-and a snake…named Brian?)

Kate – re:  your LBS having a 2 week wait on your bike.  Have you ever tried bribing the shop guys with beer?  Last time I brought my bike in, they told me 1 week, I told them I’d bring them beer if they could get it done sooner.  They called me 6 hours later and told me it was done.  I showed up with 2 6-packs of the good stuff.  Win-win!!

-Kirsten – changing that tube lots will result in confidence!  Way to make a project out of it!

-oh, my, Gosh, JO! – congrats on pullin the trigger on that tri – even if it did involve a bit of wine!!

-Kirsten – volunteering at an IM is the first step to racing one…just saying!!

-Yanti – back in the saddle, cowgirl!  Be careful at that tri though!

-holy crap, lots of races last weekend!  Go Manatees!!

-Yanti – yum (referring to your post race treat!)

-Allen - you, sir, are a great dad!!

-Jen – awesome post race pic!!

-Yanti – you see the craziest stuff!  Hope you’re feeling better after that one.

-Felicia – holy kick Azz girl!  Nice work, you have a lot to be proud of!!

-Kirsten – nice work on your race.  And sometimes, you just HAVE to stop to take a potty break, it makes you feel so much better!!

-Kate-I’d do the Oly tri on the 8th and the #3in Aug also.  Fun!!

My week was SUPER fun in Costa Rica – BEAUTIFUL down there!  But hot.  And apparently, training is an endangered species down there…only got 1 short run in.  But I’m back in line today and have only 1 month before my favorite race of the year – Door county ½ IM! 

Nice to see you back tracey and that you had a good break. Awesome job on the catching up. Bet it took you longer than a sprint to finish!

2012-06-27 1:35 AM

User image

England
rrrunner - 2012-06-27 1:15 AM

The Pork and Brew 5k. Only in America. God bless you guys.

Can anyone sponsor my citizenship application/ work visa/ green card????? I wanna play in your playground.

2012-06-27 1:40 AM
in reply to: #4282137

User image

England
jogo - 2012-06-27 4:13 AM

So I've biked a little, swam a little, ran a little, and I am the proud owner of a $50 Sugoi tri suit that was marked down $100.  I'm totally ready. Now just sit on my a$$ and wait for July 8th to get here.   Tongue out

Ha, JUST KIDDING!!!! Have no idea what the training will be for the next week and a half but my goal is just to keep doing something.  

Starting Paleo Whole30 tomorrow.  I apologize ahead of time for any b*tchiness or crabbiness that this may bring out. My DH's reaction:  "Really?  Can't you wait a couple of months?  I don't know if I can handle your youngest moving out, your empty nest syndrome, evil tri b*tch, and you WITHOUT wine or chocolate.  I may have to leave you a forwarding address and I'll come home when the 30 days is up."

What sort of crazy diet makes you give up wine and chocolate? Good luck (to your DH).

2012-06-27 1:44 AM
in reply to: #4282031

User image

England
KansasMom - 2012-06-27 2:54 AM
jobaxas - 2012-06-26 5:54 PM
KansasMom - 2012-06-26 5:10 PM

Good afternoon. It's 107 here today, so we are hanging out in air conditioning comfort and doing not much of anything.

I ran yesterday morning. I don't know if that was a good idea or not. It felt fine, but I've been a little wasted since.

Today, at noon, I did water aerobics with the other old women in town. I was the youngest there (I think), but most of the women seemed to be my mother's age. It still felt wonderful. After we finished, I swam easy for 10 minutes. The water is soooo hot. Already miserable in June.

After it cools down into the 90s, I may try a short/easy ride or maybe a light run.

I have to decide about a July 8th race -- I haven't signed up yet because I can't decide between the sprint or the oly. I want to do the oly, but I have worried about the swim. The swim Sunday went so well -- I actually felt stronger as I went on and not weaker -- but I'm fairly certain that course is a little short. The fastest guy did it in 1:03/100m. Without wet suit, I'm not buying it.

If I did the Oly, it would be just to finish, and I would be DFL again. It would be the longest I've ever been on my feet (3.5 to 4 hours, I estimate), and it will be blazing hot before I finish. Even the run on Sunday was getting hot, and it was shaded and not yet 9:00 a.m.

Wow that's hot.  Absolutely wouldn't be running or riding in that heat, reckon your best options are 5am or late at night!

Not sure what to advise re- the Oly.  That's a hot race to finish DFL.  Is it worth it?  Or would you feel more comfortable doing the sprint and racing it - really going all out and giving it your best shot?

That's exactly what I'm thinking, Jo. I had so much fun on Sunday. I felt like I was really racing. I passed people on the swim. I passed people on the bike; I passed people on the run. I saw the leaders racing. Obviously I was also passed, but I never felt like I was left completely in the dust. I felt like I was really in the race and not just tagging along behind everyone.

I told myself I would do an Oly this summer, but I kind of want to wait one more year. I may try a marathon in December, and I guess I would feel better having my first five hours on my feet be just running/walking. I don't know.

I am agreeing with you mostly. The sprint sounds the best option in the current heat but isn't there an Oly later in the year when things are cooler. You are a lot faster than me and I'm doing one in August. I think you would do better than you realise without having to wait til next year.

2012-06-27 1:47 AM

User image

England

bcraht - 2012-06-27 5:37 AM 68km ride tonight, longest yet.  Saw tons of other cyclists out there.  I paid attention to my head position, and my neck/shoulders were definitely less sore.

Great riding and news on the shoulders/neck.

2012-06-27 1:55 AM
in reply to: #4282235

User image

England
TriAya - 2012-06-27 6:39 AM
KansasMom - 2012-06-27 6:10 AM

A lot to think about, indeed. I don't think you're going to wreck yourself either way--I don't think you can make a wrong decision here--but here's my random $0.02.

An Oly is a long, tough race. It's even longer and tougher when it looks like the conditions will be brutal, it's the first attempt at the distance, and you don't feel confident about part of it.

A bad swim can set you up for a really bad day, and 1.5km is a loooong swim that takes a lot more preparation than just 2x sprint.

I think you see where I'm going here. From where I'm standing, the sprint would energize you, keep you in that MOP groove momentum, and capitalize on the training you've been doing.

The Olympic has the potential for making you dig deeper into the well than is optimal for your past and future training/racing, and being a demoralizing experience.

HOWEVER ...

You are one tough chickie who's used to tough conditions. If you like the pain cave, and if it's the sufferfest and joy of the risk itself reaching somewhere beyond where you should that lights a fire under your tushy, then go for it.

Again, if I really thought there was a BAD decision to be made here, I'd tell you. I don't think there is. Look at both the races, what you bring to them, and ask yourself what it is you want to get out of them.

I never thought of it quite like that. Maybe i should stick to the fun run. Where's my gorilla suit?

2012-06-27 4:09 AM
in reply to: #4282253

User image

Melon Presser
ukweeble - 2012-06-27 2:55 PM
TriAya - 2012-06-27 6:39 AM

HOWEVER ...

I never thought of it quite like that. Maybe i should stick to the fun run. Where's my gorilla suit?

I'm thinking that an Oly in a gorilla suit would be a really really really long tough race. Fun run indeed

2012-06-27 5:07 AM
in reply to: #4281694

User image

Melon Presser
cggale - 2012-06-27 5:06 AM

I'm still alive.

I needed to take a break from everything to recover and "lick my wounds" after my HIM.  I enjoy not being on any plan and doing what I want to do.  I'm slowly getting back into training, but working out when and how I want.  I have to admit, I'm enjoying that kind of training.  

I am going to participate in a 4.5 mile run race on the Fourth of July.  I do this race every year and enjoy seeing people dress up in patriotic costumes.

I also am going to do an OLY in August, which is great.  I feel that this is such a doable distance to train for without getting burned out. 

{{{MELON PRESS}}} Claire ... time to put the FUN back into ... FUN!

2012-06-27 9:56 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Allen you crack me up! Come on across the pond! We have runs that involve BBQ, beer, donuts, bagels and many other gluttonous pursuits. We are rebels to be sure...
2012-06-27 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4281774

User image

Pennsylvania
KansasMom - 2012-06-26 6:10 PM

Here's another vote for do the sprint and have fun.  Save the Olympic for a time when you are more prepared and the weather is a little more forgiving.

2012-06-27 10:31 AM
in reply to: #4281694

User image

Pennsylvania
cggale - 2012-06-26 5:06 PM

I'm still alive.

I needed to take a break from everything to recover and "lick my wounds" after my HIM.  I enjoy not being on any plan and doing what I want to do.  I'm slowly getting back into training, but working out when and how I want.  I have to admit, I'm enjoying that kind of training.  

I am going to participate in a 4.5 mile run race on the Fourth of July.  I do this race every year and enjoy seeing people dress up in patriotic costumes.

I also am going to do an OLY in August, which is great.  I feel that this is such a doable distance to train for without getting burned out. 

Glad to hear you are in a good place, training-wise.  The July 4th race sounds like a lot of fun!

2012-06-27 10:33 AM
in reply to: #4281706

User image

Pennsylvania
Tripopo - 2012-06-26 5:15 PM

So you are a smart manatee in addition to being a fast manatee!  Hopefully just a recharge is all that is necessary, but it is probably wise to see the doc just to be sure nothing is amiss.  Do take care and I hope all is well.

2012-06-27 10:35 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
TriRx - 2012-06-26 7:45 PM

Holy posts, Manatees!  I’ve been gone for just over a week and had to read through almost 20 pages!!  Don’t fret though; I took some notes so as to not miss anything I was thining!   And hopefully none of you think I was spying on your conversations, because that’s kinda how I felt! J

Welcome back, Tracy!  I'm jealous...I've been to Costa Rica once and absolutely loved it.  Pura Vida!

2012-06-27 10:36 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

bcraht - 2012-06-27 12:37 AM 68km ride tonight, longest yet.  Saw tons of other cyclists out there.  I paid attention to my head position, and my neck/shoulders were definitely less sore.

Awesome to the ride and awesome to the newest longest ride and awesome to less pain!   Keep up the good work!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  

of 80