BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-03-11 1:42 PM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed

Well,

Today started with a p90x Plyometrics workout (did 45 minutes of it) and I plan to walk 1 mile, run 3 miles and then walk one mile after work today. I have not run very much for two weeks per doctors orders for my ITB. This will be a big week as my HIM is less than a month away.  I had a test HM in two weeks but I do not think I will do it as it would increase my injury risk. Note to self, don't forget to strength train.

2013-03-11 2:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Question for you experienced cyclists.  I've only been out 3 times clipped in.  First was 15 min and nothing big but very low cadence, no issues.  2nd was 20 min decent steady cadence and had a bit of pain in my good knee so adjusted the cleats a tad.  3rd ride today 20 min 81 cadence and no sharp pain but it just feels weak.  The "bad" knee is perfect.  Is this an alignment issue with the cleats or just weak knee muscles?  Once again it wasn't sharp or painful today after the adjustment just kind of a weak feeling.  Thanks BDAS!
2013-03-11 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4655349

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Burd - 2013-03-11 1:05 PM Question for you experienced cyclists.  I've only been out 3 times clipped in.  First was 15 min and nothing big but very low cadence, no issues.  2nd was 20 min decent steady cadence and had a bit of pain in my good knee so adjusted the cleats a tad.  3rd ride today 20 min 81 cadence and no sharp pain but it just feels weak.  The "bad" knee is perfect.  Is this an alignment issue with the cleats or just weak knee muscles?  Once again it wasn't sharp or painful today after the adjustment just kind of a weak feeling.  Thanks BDAS!

Go to your local bike shop and get fitted for you bike. Cost a bit but probably best in the long run.

2013-03-11 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4655410

User image

Connecticut
Any suggestions on a good strength training program to follow/pull from? 
2013-03-11 4:37 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

I really like the body weight exercises, like p90x, insanity...etc. Also it shows you moves that you can do anywhere, don't need a gym!

try doing three sets of burpees  , 25 each.....you'll feel it!

2013-03-11 5:20 PM
in reply to: #4655410

User image

Expert
thor67 - 2013-03-11 2:36 PM

Burd - 2013-03-11 1:05 PM Question for you experienced cyclists.  I've only been out 3 times clipped in.  First was 15 min and nothing big but very low cadence, no issues.  2nd was 20 min decent steady cadence and had a bit of pain in my good knee so adjusted the cleats a tad.  3rd ride today 20 min 81 cadence and no sharp pain but it just feels weak.  The "bad" knee is perfect.  Is this an alignment issue with the cleats or just weak knee muscles?  Once again it wasn't sharp or painful today after the adjustment just kind of a weak feeling.  Thanks BDAS!

Go to your local bike shop and get fitted for you bike. Cost a bit but probably best in the long run.

X2

Alex - Perhaps some of the best $$$ I spent last year was on a bike fitting... It cost me $180 bucks but it was worth every penny!  Prior to the fitting - I was sore everywhere and my hip flexors were aching fiercely with with every pedal stroke.  After the fitting - All the major aches were gone by the end of the week.  If you go - ask about their policy.  You want to try to make sure they will do refittings for free so that if you fall on your bike or you need further adjustments - you can get them without having to dip into the kid'd college fund.

Good luck!

2013-03-11 5:32 PM
in reply to: #4655312

User image

Expert
bobddsmd - 2013-03-11 1:42 PM

Well,

Today started with a p90x Plyometrics workout (did 45 minutes of it) and I plan to walk 1 mile, run 3 miles and then walk one mile after work today. I have not run very much for two weeks per doctors orders for my ITB. This will be a big week as my HIM is less than a month away.  I had a test HM in two weeks but I do not think I will do it as it would increase my injury risk. Note to self, don't forget to strength train.

Sorry you are going to miss the HM but the feeling of elation and satisfaction that you will experience when you cross the finishline in Galveston after having clocked 70.3 will be worth it.  Then they will hand you a beer and you just might cry (I didWink).

Hope the run this evening went well!

2013-03-11 5:37 PM
in reply to: #4655624

User image

Expert
justinfss - 2013-03-11 4:37 PM

I really like the body weight exercises, like p90x, insanity...etc. Also it shows you moves that you can do anywhere, don't need a gym!

try doing three sets of burpees  , 25 each.....you'll feel it!

Cue the Bevis voice - hehe, he said Burp eeWink  That is one area of exercise I haven't explored.  Now that I'm not carry all the weight - so time building muscle might make that speedo look a little bit better.  No it wouldn't... but do you think it would help my back?  Increase my speed?

2013-03-11 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4655506

User image

Veteran
Illinois

lp3510 - 2013-03-11 3:21 PM Any suggestions on a good strength training program to follow/pull from? 

It depends.  You can't lift like Arnold Schwarzenegger while running like Carl Lewis.  

If you want mass and power, Stronglifts 5x5 or any 5/3/1, etc., heavy periodized lifting will give solid results, so long as you follow the program, get enough protein, and eat at a calorie surplus.  I would keep the s/b/r for the off days, and in zone 1 or 2.  

If you are trying to supplement the s/b/r, then something like Mark Allen's 12 lifts is a good place to start.

It really depends on your goals.  I spent about three months lifting heavy, with decent results, but since I am still trying to hit my goal weight (~10lbs to go), the calorie deficits kill any possibility of real results.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of strength training, and I will probably do a nice, long bulk phase (calorie surplus) next winter and pump some serious iron.  

I've also done a round of P90x, which I found interesting, but ultimately not suited to my goals (i.e., s/b/r).  

2013-03-11 7:29 PM
in reply to: #4655304

User image

bobddsmd - 2013-03-11 1:38 PM
lp3510 - 2013-03-11 8:57 AM
kevinbe - 2013-03-11 9:16 AM
thor67 - 2013-03-11 6:12 AM
Burd - 2013-03-11 6:23 AM
Qua17 - 2013-03-10 9:16 PM

Goal Time:

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 

kevinbe

Kevin
  •  ease back in with 30 miles this week.
  • build my long run up slowly, 11.6 miler this weekend
  • make all my runs.

thor67 Thor
  •  continue on. buckle down and get it down.
  • be more involved.

SportzVision Cynthia  
 Wiff Kim  
 jlangeneJared   
mirthfuldragon Charles   
Burd Alex 
  • 3 swims, 3 bikes, 2 10 min walks
  • Do at least 1 day of yoga
  • Quit whining about weight and lose 1.5

Yakhead  Ian
  •  still do 5 k run
  • pushup challenge
  • strength training
  • stretching
  • cleaning up my diet (lost 4 lbs last week)
  • more biking

bobddsmd  Bobby
  •  get back to pain free running
  • clean diet (stay around 200lbs)
  • work on nutrition during longer run/bikes
  • HIM less than a month away!

Cassady Doug  
 lp3510 Lenny
  •  get to the gym everyday this week.
  • count my calories
  • tune my bike
  • find a tri for august
  • find races to hold me over until the tri.
  • run outside at least once

justinfss Justin  
 firefighter Taj  
 snarky Elizabeth  
mcmanusclan5Matt   
DBrew99 Dan  
BigDH Darren/DH  
  Qua17 David or DQ
  •  Continue Program
    • 2 runs, 2 swims, 2 bikes
  • Lose 1 pound
    • recording my calories
  • Avoid injury  
    • Yoga x2, Ice 7x, stretch 90 min.
  • Support my fellow BTers
  • Frame picture from HIM

A tasty bottle of Mikkeller... tasty stuff

2013-03-11 7:34 PM
in reply to: #4655349

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Burd - 2013-03-11 2:05 PM Question for you experienced cyclists.  I've only been out 3 times clipped in.  First was 15 min and nothing big but very low cadence, no issues.  2nd was 20 min decent steady cadence and had a bit of pain in my good knee so adjusted the cleats a tad.  3rd ride today 20 min 81 cadence and no sharp pain but it just feels weak.  The "bad" knee is perfect.  Is this an alignment issue with the cleats or just weak knee muscles?  Once again it wasn't sharp or painful today after the adjustment just kind of a weak feeling.  Thanks BDAS!

Ah, cleats . . . first question:  SPD, Speedplay, or Look?

Second:  put the cleat as far back as you possibly can.  The ideal position of the ball of the foot is in front of the pedal spindle.  For SPD and Look pedals, that generally means the cleat will be at the rear stops.  For an in-depth read, check https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blog/2011/04/power-to-the-pedal-cleat-position/.

Thirdly, your cadence is too low - it's something to work on.  Cadence should generally be 85-95rpm or more.  High cadence engages the slow-twitch muscles, which preserves glycogen and burns more fat.  For a given distance at a given speed, a fast cadence and a slow cadence will use about the same amount of calories, but a fast cadence will burn more fat and not leaving you smacking into the glycogen-depleted brick wall.  Faster cadence is generally better.

Fourth, cleat position is generally variable.  My feet have moved inward, in relation to my pedals, in the last year as my cadence improves and my pedal stroke gets more fluid.

If you have Look cleats, there's a huge debate about the proper amount of float to use.  I use a 4.5 degree float and it works fine for me.  

Knee position, seat height, seat position, and all the rest are all factors.  Fiddle with it and find out what works for you.  

If these are your first few rides with cleats, there will also be some muscle adaptation, since you are now using (to some extent) the hamstring pull in addition to the quad push, so the muscles are being used in new ways.

There's a whole art and science to bike fitting, which distills down to "fiddle with it until it feels right."

2013-03-11 7:35 PM

User image

I am fighting a nasty head cold. Hope to get my running in tomorrow since I can kind of breath today. The shorter runs are helping and my legs are not killing me as much. My strength training is going well my workout partner is keeping me going at 5 am in the morning two times a week and will be going 3 times a week after my 5 k.

later

2013-03-11 7:36 PM
in reply to: #4655828

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 

kevinbe

Kevin
  •  ease back in with 30 miles this week.
  • build my long run up slowly, 11.6 miler this weekend
  • make all my runs.

thor67 Thor
  •  continue on. buckle down and get it down.
  • be more involved.

SportzVision Cynthia  
 Wiff Kim  
 jlangeneJared   
mirthfuldragon Charles 
  •  Follow the bike plan
  • Run / swim when I can
  • Don't go crazy on the house stuff.

Burd Alex 
  • 3 swims, 3 bikes, 2 10 min walks
  • Do at least 1 day of yoga
  • Quit whining about weight and lose 1.5

Yakhead  Ian
  •  still do 5 k run
  • pushup challenge
  • strength training
  • stretching
  • cleaning up my diet (lost 4 lbs last week)
  • more biking

bobddsmd  Bobby
  •  get back to pain free running
  • clean diet (stay around 200lbs)
  • work on nutrition during longer run/bikes
  • HIM less than a month away!

Cassady Doug  
 lp3510 Lenny
  •  get to the gym everyday this week.
  • count my calories
  • tune my bike
  • find a tri for august
  • find races to hold me over until the tri.
  • run outside at least once

justinfss Justin  
 firefighter Taj  
 snarky Elizabeth  
mcmanusclan5Matt   
DBrew99 Dan  
BigDH Darren/DH  
  Qua17 David or DQ
  •  Continue Program
    • 2 runs, 2 swims, 2 bikes
  • Lose 1 pound
    • recording my calories
  • Avoid injury  
    • Yoga x2, Ice 7x, stretch 90 min.
  • Support my fellow BTers
  • Frame picture from HIM

A tasty bottle of Mikkeller... tasty stuff

2013-03-11 8:57 PM
in reply to: #4654586

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
thor67 - 2013-03-11 7:19 AM

Well folks, it was bound to happen...we hit a rough patch on the BDAS group. With no races in sight, it is sometimes tough to stay committed! Luckily we are all at different stages so when some falter, others can pick up the slack. Time to get back on track. Sign up for a race ASAP. Time to make a commitment to a Try a tri, sprint, oly, HIM, IM. Get it done and get training.

Our group seems to have shrunk....who is still in?

David

Kevin(you ain't quittin' us buddy!)

Alex

Bobby

Justin

Lenny

Cynthia

Jared

Charles

Sorry if I missed anyone! Add your name!

I'm still here El Guapo! 

Sorry I haven't been active lately.  Last couple weeks was fighting flu and cold around the house feeling much better.  I will post goals for the week in a bit.  Sorry for slackin off I promise I will get back with it! 

2013-03-11 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4655821

User image

Connecticut
mirthfuldragon - 2013-03-11 8:23 PM

lp3510 - 2013-03-11 3:21 PM Any suggestions on a good strength training program to follow/pull from? 

It depends.  You can't lift like Arnold Schwarzenegger while running like Carl Lewis.  

If you want mass and power, Stronglifts 5x5 or any 5/3/1, etc., heavy periodized lifting will give solid results, so long as you follow the program, get enough protein, and eat at a calorie surplus.  I would keep the s/b/r for the off days, and in zone 1 or 2.  

If you are trying to supplement the s/b/r, then something like Mark Allen's 12 lifts is a good place to start.

It really depends on your goals.  I spent about three months lifting heavy, with decent results, but since I am still trying to hit my goal weight (~10lbs to go), the calorie deficits kill any possibility of real results.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of strength training, and I will probably do a nice, long bulk phase (calorie surplus) next winter and pump some serious iron.  

I've also done a round of P90x, which I found interesting, but ultimately not suited to my goals (i.e., s/b/r).  

Not looking for the Arnold but to build overall strength. A lot of people say it'll keep away injury. Maybe one day I'll do the arnold when I'm somewhere near my goal weight (60 lbd to go). Thanks for the article
2013-03-11 9:19 PM

User image

Connecticut
Went spinning tonight and it was pretty great . Best part is after class I spoke to a woman who is part of the ymca tri-club. She told me there is a tri series that holds sprints biweekly starting June 6th. The reg fees are only $25 a pop and its only 20min from my job. Then the hold an Olympic in august. Going to register for at least one and get my training together.

2013-03-12 5:35 AM
in reply to: #4655835

User image

Expert
Yakhead - 2013-03-11 7:35 PM

I am fighting a nasty head cold. Hope to get my running in tomorrow since I can kind of breath today. The shorter runs are helping and my legs are not killing me as much. My strength training is going well my workout partner is keeping me going at 5 am in the morning two times a week and will be going 3 times a week after my 5 k.

My normal circadian rhythems make running in the afternoons preferible - but I have learned to love the early morning run.  Heading out before the sun rises means I don't have to wait as long to crack a beer when I get home after work.  You never know - you may start to like it.

Sorry to hear you are sick.  If it's just a head cold then get out there - but if your chest in congested - you may want to take a day off.

Feel better

2013-03-12 5:38 AM
in reply to: #4655938

User image

Expert
jlangene - 2013-03-11 8:57 PM
thor67 - 2013-03-11 7:19 AM

Well folks, it was bound to happen...we hit a rough patch on the BDAS group. With no races in sight, it is sometimes tough to stay committed! Luckily we are all at different stages so when some falter, others can pick up the slack. Time to get back on track. Sign up for a race ASAP. Time to make a commitment to a Try a tri, sprint, oly, HIM, IM. Get it done and get training.

David

Alex

Bobby

Justin

Lenny

Cynthia

Jared

Charles

I'm still here El Guapo! 

Sorry I haven't been active lately.  Last couple weeks was fighting flu and cold around the house feeling much better.  I will post goals for the week in a bit.  Sorry for slackin off I promise I will get back with it! 

No apologies necessary - life gets in the way sometimes... Glad you are geting back on track.  After all - you don't want some mad canadian coming after youWink

2013-03-12 5:42 AM
in reply to: #4654586

User image

Expert
thor67 - 2013-03-11 8:19 AM

David

Alex

Bobby

Justin

Lenny

Cynthia

Jared

Charles

Thor - thanks for sending this out... Y'all should be impressed.  In the last two groups I have been apart of - the most we ever finished with was 5 (and all 5 of us are still here!).  Keep plugging, be sure to support each other, and get those workouts in so you can reward yourself with a few cold ones this evening!

2013-03-12 5:48 AM

User image

Expert

With my wife visiting her parents - I've got the boys this week, so I will have to wait until the weekend to get a swim in.. But I did get out there this morning for a 3 mile run.  Tomorrow it's supposed to hit 50 here in 50 (does that make you shiver Alex?) and I'm looking forward to getting outside for a ride.  

Last night - I had an Alpine Spring beer by Sam Adams... I thought it was terrible.  Hey Lennie - you live around here - have you tried it?  As far as I am concerned, Sam Adams' beer is getting worse and worse.  They have a few good ones - Latitude 48, Noble Pils, but that's about it...What do y'all think?

Prost!

2013-03-12 8:21 AM
in reply to: #4656152

User image

Connecticut
Qua17 - 2013-03-12 6:48 AM

With my wife visiting her parents - I've got the boys this week, so I will have to wait until the weekend to get a swim in.. But I did get out there this morning for a 3 mile run.  Tomorrow it's supposed to hit 50 here in 50 (does that make you shiver Alex?) and I'm looking forward to getting outside for a ride.  

Last night - I had an Alpine Spring beer by Sam Adams... I thought it was terrible.  Hey Lennie - you live around here - have you tried it?  As far as I am concerned, Sam Adams' beer is getting worse and worse.  They have a few good ones - Latitude 48, Noble Pils, but that's about it...What do y'all think?

Prost!

Agreed! They have this hoptology variety that has a grumpy munk ipa I want try but I had the alpine spring on Saturday after all the lat 48's and even the new ipl's were gone. I immediately switch to th3 Boston. As you can tell it was a Sam heavy afternoon, just goes to show you cant send a newb to get the beer. I had a red beaver ipa when I got home which wasn't terrible but wasnt very good either. Its been getting harder and harder to find an enjoyable hop-filled beer at the local stores.

Edited by lp3510 2013-03-12 8:24 AM

2013-03-12 8:42 AM

User image

Connecticut

Morning did start off as planned, got up at 530 instead of 5 but still hit the gym.  Had a great run, 4 mi in under 40 min with a 9:30pace.  Fastests I've run ever. I think the spinning is making my legs a little stronger and the extra time I spend stretching is keeping that sciatic nerve from getting tweaked. Im feeling very pumped after hearing about the sprint tri series starting in June at such a great price. Its kind of like everything is working out.

No swim this morning like I planned but I am going to hit the pool first thing tomorrow for about 1500-2000yds.  I am also going to add in that strength program Charles mentioned.

Hope everyone has a great day! 

2013-03-12 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4656326

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
lp3510 - 2013-03-12 7:42 AM

Morning did start off as planned, got up at 530 instead of 5 but still hit the gym.  Had a great run, 4 mi in under 40 min with a 9:30pace.  Fastests I've run ever. I think the spinning is making my legs a little stronger and the extra time I spend stretching is keeping that sciatic nerve from getting tweaked. Im feeling very pumped after hearing about the sprint tri series starting in June at such a great price. Its kind of like everything is working out.

No swim this morning like I planned but I am going to hit the pool first thing tomorrow for about 1500-2000yds.  I am also going to add in that strength program Charles mentioned.

Hope everyone has a great day! 

Strong bike=strong run!

Nice job.

2013-03-12 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4655312

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
bobddsmd - 2013-03-11 12:42 PM

Well,

April 7...shouldn't be a problem for you. You have been training pretty good up until your issues so you will have a pretty good base built up. First tri for our group of the season!

2013-03-12 9:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

12/12 so far this month(includes hockey games...Laughing)

Hoping to get a swim in tonight. Only one lane for swimming so it gets crazy busy, which drives me crazy!

So has everyone signed up for a triathlon yet? If not, why? Talk is cheap, time to start laying down some cash to add to your commitment!! We started group in January so April/May/June, we should be seeing some races in our group! Stop making excuses and sign up! Bob is leading the charge with a HIM April 7. What about everyone else?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97