BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-03-12 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4656369

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed

So has everyone signed up for a triathlon yet? If not, why? Talk is cheap, time to start laying down some cash to add to your commitment!! We started group in January so April/May/June, we should be seeing some races in our group! Stop making excuses and sign up! Bob is leading the charge with a HIM April 7. What about everyone else?

I just signed up for my first race, but it isn't a triathlon.  There was a bit of a debacle with the registration for the Chicago Marathon, so the last 15,000 entries were set up as a lottery, and my ticket was picked.  My wife and I are hoarding cash right now, with the current house-shopping situation (inspections are set for Thursday), so we're holding off on the races that are slow to fill up.

Next registration is for the Rev3 olympic in Wisconsin Dells, hopefully early next month.

2013-03-12 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4655410

User image

Veteran
Dallas
thor67 - 2013-03-11 2:36 PM

Burd - 2013-03-11 1:05 PM Question for you experienced cyclists.  I've only been out 3 times clipped in.  First was 15 min and nothing big but very low cadence, no issues.  2nd was 20 min decent steady cadence and had a bit of pain in my good knee so adjusted the cleats a tad.  3rd ride today 20 min 81 cadence and no sharp pain but it just feels weak.  The "bad" knee is perfect.  Is this an alignment issue with the cleats or just weak knee muscles?  Once again it wasn't sharp or painful today after the adjustment just kind of a weak feeling.  Thanks BDAS!

Go to your local bike shop and get fitted for you bike. Cost a bit but probably best in the long run.

agree.

expect some tweaking of the seat/pedals. I am having similar issues and will be heading back for a tune up fit.

2013-03-12 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4655950

User image

Veteran
Dallas
lp3510 - 2013-03-11 9:08 PM
mirthfuldragon - 2013-03-11 8:23 PM

lp3510 - 2013-03-11 3:21 PM Any suggestions on a good strength training program to follow/pull from? 

It depends.  You can't lift like Arnold Schwarzenegger while running like Carl Lewis.  

If you want mass and power, Stronglifts 5x5 or any 5/3/1, etc., heavy periodized lifting will give solid results, so long as you follow the program, get enough protein, and eat at a calorie surplus.  I would keep the s/b/r for the off days, and in zone 1 or 2.  

If you are trying to supplement the s/b/r, then something like Mark Allen's 12 lifts is a good place to start.

It really depends on your goals.  I spent about three months lifting heavy, with decent results, but since I am still trying to hit my goal weight (~10lbs to go), the calorie deficits kill any possibility of real results.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of strength training, and I will probably do a nice, long bulk phase (calorie surplus) next winter and pump some serious iron.  

I've also done a round of P90x, which I found interesting, but ultimately not suited to my goals (i.e., s/b/r).  

Not looking for the Arnold but to build overall strength. A lot of people say it'll keep away injury. Maybe one day I'll do the arnold when I'm somewhere near my goal weight (60 lbd to go). Thanks for the article

As I have said before and learned from my dumb mistake, strength training is critical as you move up in distance/volume.

I really like p90X videos but when in s/b/r I do not usually do the entire 60+ minutes. I will generally do 30-45 minutes. I am mostly doing plyo, core, legs and back, shoulder & arms. I do the stretch for recovery (instead of yoga).

Workout this am. 2 hours on the trainer followed by 40 minutes p90x core. That is what happens when you wake up at 0300 and can't get back to sleep.

2013-03-12 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4656632

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
bobddsmd - 2013-03-12 10:01 AM
lp3510 - 2013-03-11 9:08 PM
mirthfuldragon - 2013-03-11 8:23 PM

lp3510 - 2013-03-11 3:21 PM Any suggestions on a good strength training program to follow/pull from? 

It depends.  You can't lift like Arnold Schwarzenegger while running like Carl Lewis.  

If you want mass and power, Stronglifts 5x5 or any 5/3/1, etc., heavy periodized lifting will give solid results, so long as you follow the program, get enough protein, and eat at a calorie surplus.  I would keep the s/b/r for the off days, and in zone 1 or 2.  

If you are trying to supplement the s/b/r, then something like Mark Allen's 12 lifts is a good place to start.

It really depends on your goals.  I spent about three months lifting heavy, with decent results, but since I am still trying to hit my goal weight (~10lbs to go), the calorie deficits kill any possibility of real results.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of strength training, and I will probably do a nice, long bulk phase (calorie surplus) next winter and pump some serious iron.  

I've also done a round of P90x, which I found interesting, but ultimately not suited to my goals (i.e., s/b/r).  

Not looking for the Arnold but to build overall strength. A lot of people say it'll keep away injury. Maybe one day I'll do the arnold when I'm somewhere near my goal weight (60 lbd to go). Thanks for the article

As I have said before and learned from my dumb mistake, strength training is critical as you move up in distance/volume.

I really like p90X videos but when in s/b/r I do not usually do the entire 60+ minutes. I will generally do 30-45 minutes. I am mostly doing plyo, core, legs and back, shoulder & arms. I do the stretch for recovery (instead of yoga).

Workout this am. 2 hours on the trainer followed by 40 minutes p90x core. That is what happens when you wake up at 0300 and can't get back to sleep.

While I agree strength training is great, for us time challenged triathletes, you need to prioritize your workouts. For me, it is essential to get in my S/B/R in first. By the time I get those out of the way, I have no time/energy to take on strength training. 

That being said everyone is different. I applaud all of you who can do it!

PS: Getting up at 3am is a sign of old age...Laughing

2013-03-12 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Veteran
Dallas
that last one was pretty good!!! I think a great way to do strength is to focus on it offseason and then go lighter during the s/b/r. My prob was that the strength base was not up to the 70.3 distance and getting into aero position on a new bike put me in the ditch.
2013-03-12 1:20 PM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
I need some bike advice. I am thinking it is time for a new bike.but I dont see myself buying a 2500 bike. is it possible to find a decent beginner road or tri bike for around 500? Does anyone have recommendations where to start what do I look for? Any help would be great. Thanks

2013-03-12 1:25 PM
in reply to: #4656873

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

jlangene - 2013-03-12 12:20 PM I need some bike advice. I am thinking it is time for a new bike.but I dont see myself buying a 2500 bike. is it possible to find a decent beginner road or tri bike for around 500? Does anyone have recommendations where to start what do I look for? Any help would be great. Thanks

What do you have now? I am riding a 14 yr old second(or third) hand $100 trek road bike with tri bars.

Personally, I would go with a road setup with tri bars added. More flexibility for riding and lower price point. Try LBS for second hand or craigslist. I would save a couple hundred for a bike fit if you go second hand. At the end of the day, at least for me, it is not the bike that is the problem but the engine(me). So until I win lottery or sell a well used kidney, I am stuck with the bike I have.

Start scouring the used bikes and you may just get lucky...

2013-03-12 1:43 PM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Right now I'm riding a cheap mountain bike from Alco I agree with you that its not the bike but the engine but I would like a better bike with a few more gears. when you say get a bike fit do you mean have the shop fit the bike you purchase too to you or go to the shop and based off their fit buy a bike?
2013-03-12 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4656914

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

jlangene - 2013-03-12 12:43 PM Right now I'm riding a cheap mountain bike from Alco I agree with you that its not the bike but the engine but I would like a better bike with a few more gears. when you say get a bike fit do you mean have the shop fit the bike you purchase too to you or go to the shop and based off their fit buy a bike?

Absolutely upgrade to a road bike and you will see an improvement! 

Whatever bike you do buy, go to the shop and get it fit. You may want to hit a bike shop before hitting the used market to get a better idea of how a bike should fit though. Some LBS carry a used inventory as well.

Good luck!

2013-03-12 2:14 PM
in reply to: #4656873

User image

Veteran
Illinois

jlangene - 2013-03-12 1:20 PM I need some bike advice. I am thinking it is time for a new bike.but I dont see myself buying a 2500 bike. is it possible to find a decent beginner road or tri bike for around 500? Does anyone have recommendations where to start what do I look for? Any help would be great. Thanks

Recommendations:

1.  Ignore tri-bikes, for now.  A solid drop-bar road bike will give you great bang for your buck, will leave you open to join any club rides, and will likely be more comfortable initially.

2.  Buy a new bike.  Unless you know a good deal about bikes, it is easy to get burned on a used bike, and there's a lot of garbage out there for high prices.  An entry-level road bike is probably around $600 to $1,000, and a used bike might be about 2/3 of that price; add in a $100 tuneup, and you're almost to square one, plus all the unknowns.  I bought a used bike last year, and I'm happy with it, but by the time I rebuild the wheel bearings, have the drivetrain adjusted, bought a new saddle, and the like, I'm within striking distance of a new bike with technology 4 years updated.

3.  Drivetrains don't really matter at this level, but you get what you pay for.  High level groupsets (groupset = derailleurs, shifts, brakes) have tighter tolerances, better quality, and more consistent adjustability.  For Shimano, Sora <Tiagra <105 <Ultegra <Dura-Ace.  I have a Sora groupset on mine, and its a bit clunky; in retrospect, I would have spent the few hundred dollars more for a more solid groupset.

4.  Aluminum is perfectly acceptable, and pretty much all you can afford at a low price point.  

5.  Be especially wary of older bikes.  Bike tech is almost like computers now - new stuff coming out all the time, and the old stuff getting cheaper.  A 21 speed bike (3x7) might as well be an ox-cart compared to today's 11 speed cassettes at the bleeding edge.  

Currently $750, there's a nice Fuji 1.0 at Performance.  (http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1094284_-1_400306__400306)

2x10 drivetrain, Tiagra/105 mixed groupset.  Sizes are a bit limited.  

For $700, try:  http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1117105_-1_400306__400306  2x9 drivetrain, mixed sora/tiagra group.  

At $850, you can get:  http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1120682_-1_400306__400306

Full 2x10, lots of sizes available, full tiagra groupset.

If there's one nearby, Performance Bike has some solid deals, and the sales people generally know what they are talking about.  Your Local Bike Shop is probably a good bet too, but expect to pay a little more.

2013-03-12 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4656966

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
mirthfuldragon - 2013-03-12 1:14 PM

jlangene - 2013-03-12 1:20 PM I need some bike advice. I am thinking it is time for a new bike.but I dont see myself buying a 2500 bike. is it possible to find a decent beginner road or tri bike for around 500? Does anyone have recommendations where to start what do I look for? Any help would be great. Thanks

Recommendations:

1.  Ignore tri-bikes, for now.  A solid drop-bar road bike will give you great bang for your buck, will leave you open to join any club rides, and will likely be more comfortable initially.

2.  Buy a new bike.  Unless you know a good deal about bikes, it is easy to get burned on a used bike, and there's a lot of garbage out there for high prices.  An entry-level road bike is probably around $600 to $1,000, and a used bike might be about 2/3 of that price; add in a $100 tuneup, and you're almost to square one, plus all the unknowns.  I bought a used bike last year, and I'm happy with it, but by the time I rebuild the wheel bearings, have the drivetrain adjusted, bought a new saddle, and the like, I'm within striking distance of a new bike with technology 4 years updated.

3.  Drivetrains don't really matter at this level, but you get what you pay for.  High level groupsets (groupset = derailleurs, shifts, brakes) have tighter tolerances, better quality, and more consistent adjustability.  For Shimano, Sora

4.  Aluminum is perfectly acceptable, and pretty much all you can afford at a low price point.  

5.  Be especially wary of older bikes.  Bike tech is almost like computers now - new stuff coming out all the time, and the old stuff getting cheaper.  A 21 speed bike (3x7) might as well be an ox-cart compared to today's 11 speed cassettes at the bleeding edge.  

Currently $750, there's a nice Fuji 1.0 at Performance.  (http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1094284_-1_400306__400306)

For $700, try:  http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1117105_-1_400306__400306  2x9 drivetrain, mixed sora/tiagra group.  

At $850, you can get:  http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1120682_-1_400306__400306

If there's one nearby, Performance Bike has some solid deals, and the sales people generally know what they are talking about.  Your Local Bike Shop is probably a good bet too, but expect to pay a little more.

Wow thanks for the detailed advice!  That is awesome, I am looking at performance bike now!  One more question, they list different sizes how do I know what size to get?  I would assume it is based off your height?  I am 5'10" Thanks again!

2013-03-12 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4656966

User image

Expert
mirthfuldragon - 2013-03-12 2:14 PM

Recommendations:

2.  Buy a new bike...

Charles - that was a great post.  You packed tons of useful information in there.

Here is my two cents -

1) I would agree that going with a new bike gives you the best bang for the buck.  Unless you know the seller - you are taking a chance on something that could cost you hundred to fix...

2) If you buy used - try to buy it from a high end local bike shop.  They know bikes better and it's their reputation on the line so you have a better chance of getting a good bike.

3) Agreed about the importance of a bike fit especially if you see yourself doing an Oly or a HIM.  The more you ride a bike that doesn't fit you - the greater you chance for injury.  I agree that you can fit yourself - but it take a lot of work and brain power that I don't possess.

4) Last year, I laid down $1700 on a bike and frankly it was money I didn't have.  But I did it with a purpose.  More $$$ = greater pleasure, less chance of mechanical problems.  But the real reason I did it was because I knew that if I spent the money - I couldn't quit without letting down my wife and family.  Basically I figured my health was worth it to the most important people in my life and I owed it to them to become healthy.  So after about three weeks of fretting over it - I laid down the money.  It was the third most expensive thing I have ever bought and it was worth every cent.  

Just my two cents... you gotta make the decision that works best for you and your fam.  Good luck!

2013-03-12 3:34 PM
in reply to: #4656326

User image

Expert
lp3510 - 2013-03-12 8:42 AM

Morning did start off as planned, got up at 530 instead of 5 but still hit the gym.  Had a great run, 4 mi in under 40 min with a 9:30pace.  Fastests I've run ever. I think the spinning is making my legs a little stronger and the extra time I spend stretching is keeping that sciatic nerve from getting tweaked. Im feeling very pumped after hearing about the sprint tri series starting in June at such a great price. Its kind of like everything is working out.

No swim this morning like I planned but I am going to hit the pool first thing tomorrow for about 1500-2000yds.  I am also going to add in that strength program Charles mentioned.

Hope everyone has a great day! 

Fantastic job on your 9:30 pace.  All your hard work is paying off.  Keep it up!  Enjoy your swim tomorrow.

2013-03-12 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4657070

User image

Veteran
Illinois
jlangene - 2013-03-12 3:18 PM

Wow thanks for the detailed advice!  That is awesome, I am looking at performance bike now!  One more question, they list different sizes how do I know what size to get?  I would assume it is based off your height?  I am 5'10" Thanks again!

The answer is "it depends."  Any decent bike shop will be able to help you pick the right size.  It depends on make and model of the bike, your own fit and comfort, your leg length, torso length, arm span . . .

I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam, and I ride a 60cm bike.  It's probably a bit big for me, and I crutch the size with a short 90mm stem.  My seat position is also heavily forward (at the stops).  My next bike will probably be a 58cm with a longer stem.

I would also disagree with most of the folks here, regarding getting a pricey bike fitting.  Until you get comfortable in the saddle and used to a modern drop-bar bike, your own comfortable position will change over the first year.  I would recommend you take a class on bike maintenance (usually free at your local REI or Performance Bike), learn how to fiddle with various adjustments, and play with it.  The salespeople should get you in the ball park with the initial purchase (another reason to buy new), and then as you develop your own feel for the bike, and after you log 800 or 1,000 miles in the saddle, then spring for a professional fit.  

For example, when I first started riding, my neck/shoulder/arm position was much less aggressive than it is now; I spent most of my time in the tops and hoods, and almost none in the drops.  Now, I spend probably a third of my time in the drops, and probably 90% of my hard riding in the drops, so I would optimize my positioning based on the drop position, not the hoods or tops.

Alternatively, you can just get a bike fit every year, but I'm cheap and I like to fiddle with things.

2013-03-12 4:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Wish I could chime in and help but I only know 1 thing so far about road bikes....day #3 in the saddle and my butt HURTS!!!  I read that I need to suck it up and get back on it and this will pass in a few short weeks....dear lord I hope they are right

Edited by Burd 2013-03-12 4:45 PM
2013-03-12 4:47 PM
in reply to: #4657070

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
jlangene - 2013-03-12 2:18 PM

Recommendations:

3.  Drivetrains don't really matter at this level, but you get what you pay for.  High level groupsets (groupset = derailleurs, shifts, brakes) have tighter tolerances, better quality, and more consistent adjustability.  For Shimano, Sora

Different bike manufactures different sizing. Go to a bike shop to get an idea of how your bike should fit. 

While you don't need a bike fitting and you can do it on your own, I think it is advantageous to get one right of the get go. Most bike shops will give you a general fitting with the purchase of a bike. I suppose I could learn it but like David, I lack the mental capacity to do so.

Bike maintenance classes are a great idea, especially free ones!

Good luck!

2013-03-12 5:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Well over dinner my son informed me during his gifted class today they celebrated pi day, yes 2 days early but the teacher will be gone Thursday.  They had a competition with grades 1-5 who could recite the most digits of pi.  His classmate got 86 digits correct, doh!.  Keep in mind this kid is only in 2nd grade. 
2013-03-12 5:52 PM
in reply to: #4657211

User image

Connecticut
Burd - 2013-03-12 5:44 PMWish I could chime in and help but I only know 1 thing so far about road bikes....day #3 in the saddle and my butt HURTS!!!  I read that I need to suck it up and get back on it and this will pass in a few short weeks....dear lord I hope they are right
Stick with it, you'll build a callus
2013-03-12 6:29 PM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Wow thanks for all the great advice!  You guys are awesome!  I have looked up performance bikes and it seems there are lots of bikes on there that could be within my price range (just sold my boat that we never use so I have a bit of disposable cash to get a good bike Money mouth) and it turns out that there is a shop of theirs in Albuquerque only 180 miles up the road!  So I'm thinking I'm going to check out a lot of their bikes and do some research and maybe head over there next Saturday to see what I can find Laughing.  Another bonus of it being in Albuquerque is that there is a Pappadeaux's Restaurant there and I can take my wife to dinner at her favorite place and earn a few good husband points before blowing a bunch of cash on a bike!  Thanks again for the advice, I'll let you all know what I find!  
2013-03-12 8:54 PM
in reply to: #4657275

User image

Expert

Burd - 2013-03-12 5:35 PM Well over dinner my son informed me during his gifted class today they celebrated pi day, yes 2 days early but the teacher will be gone Thursday.  They had a competition with grades 1-5 who could recite the most digits of pi.  His classmate got 86 digits correct, doh!.  Keep in mind this kid is only in 2nd grade. 

That is ridiculous!  On a humorous note - when I bought an apple pie for thanksgiving guess what the price was - $3.14Smile

2013-03-12 8:58 PM
in reply to: #4657291

User image

Expert

lp3510 - 2013-03-12 5:52 PM
Burd - 2013-03-12 5:44 PMWish I could chime in and help but I only know 1 thing so far about road bikes....day #3 in the saddle and my butt HURTS!!!  I read that I need to suck it up and get back on it and this will pass in a few short weeks....dear lord I hope they are right

I agree - but make sure that your bike shorts have plenty of padding.  When I first started - I bought a pair of triathlon bike shorts, which has very little padding since it's meant to be used in races.  It didn't take me long to discover the need for more cushioning.  

Really proud of you for getting out there.  You've had a rough road the last month and I'm glad to see you finally getting over the hump!

2013-03-12 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4656369

User image

Expert
thor67 - 2013-03-12 9:03 AM

12/12 so far this month(includes hockey games...Laughing)

I got off to a slow start and have clocked 7/12 workouts... There is no way in He// that I am going to drink Coors light for a week.  

Tomorrow I'll do yoga and get in my first outside ride - Making up 4 workouts is totally doable - All I've got to do is channel my inner DH!

2013-03-13 8:35 AM

User image

Connecticut

No swim this morning, got a weird feeling in my knee last night when I was playing with my niece. She likes to fly so its like doing suicides up and down the hallways, kids can be great exercise.

I did ice it last night and a bit this morning and it feels better.  If it keeps up Ill see the doc but it maybe a bit of turning 30 and being a bit overweight for so many years that is causing the prob.

Planning on the gym tonight with the wife so Im not too upset with missing the swim today. Also going to take the bike around the block this afternoon. It rained all day yesterday and washed a lot of the sand off the roads. So maybe Ill get in a mile or two. I read all the great bike suggestions and just registered for a free bike class at REI in April.

On track for the 30/31 if I count racquetball, pushups and a little yoga.

2013-03-13 10:29 AM
in reply to: #4657465

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2013-03-12 7:58 PM

lp3510 - 2013-03-12 5:52 PM

I agree - but make sure that your bike shorts have plenty of padding.  When I first started - I bought a pair of triathlon bike shorts, which has very little padding since it's meant to be used in races.  It didn't take me long to discover the need for more cushioning.  

Really proud of you for getting out there.  You've had a rough road the last month and I'm glad to see you finally getting over the hump!

I have actually stuck with my tri shorts. That is all I bike with. You will get used to it. 

Did you get your bike fitted? If not you could get it fitted or fiddle around with your seat a bit as that could be the cause. check around because fitting prices vary considerably.

2013-03-13 10:31 AM
in reply to: #4657873

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
lp3510 - 2013-03-13 7:35 AM

No swim this morning, got a weird feeling in my knee last night when I was playing with my niece. She likes to fly so its like doing suicides up and down the hallways, kids can be great exercise.

I did ice it last night and a bit this morning and it feels better.  If it keeps up Ill see the doc but it maybe a bit of turning 30 and being a bit overweight for so many years that is causing the prob.

Planning on the gym tonight with the wife so Im not too upset with missing the swim today. Also going to take the bike around the block this afternoon. It rained all day yesterday and washed a lot of the sand off the roads. So maybe Ill get in a mile or two. I read all the great bike suggestions and just registered for a free bike class at REI in April.

On track for the 30/31 if I count racquetball, pushups and a little yoga.

Get in the pool! use a buoy for between your legs and your upper arms will be like Arnold Schwartznegger in no time!

Racquetball yes, pushups no, yoga yes.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97