BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-06-22 5:57 PM
in reply to: #2937478

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
PennState - 2010-06-22 4:02 PM
Kath2163 - 2010-06-22 6:01 PM

Hello All,

When you do your long training rides is one of your goals to do the whole distance without stopping (race simulation) or is stopping once or twice as needed not a big deal to you?

I am doing the MS 150 this weekend and am trying to decide  how to ride the course. While I have a group of people who's "team" I am a part of, I know that they will be stopping at all the aid stations for food, bathroom and water breaks.  I really beleive that this is a great opportunity for me to get a feel for riding 56+ miles strait without stopping ( the ride is 75 miles each day) and am thinking of going out on my own the first day and riding with the group the second day. Also, while I am taking my road bike, I want to put my aerobars back on it and the group doesn't allow aerobars at all.    Thoughts?

I stop to get gatorade at a store or to pee

Most of the time stopping is just part of what happens with rides, whether it's to refill bottles, buy some food, pee, or even at a stop sign or traffic light.  I see no problem with doing it during training rides unless I'll be stopped for more than 10-15minutes at a time.  In the end, the combined long training rides throughout your training, even with the occasional stop, is what will have you ready for race day.  However, if I stop for 30+ minutes I log it as a separate ride for that day in my logs.   Most of the time I log the distance and time I was "out" which includes stops, so my average speed riding looks slower than what actual speed was... a break is a break and it is sometimes needed to let you ride longer that day.

2010-06-22 6:24 PM
in reply to: #2937477

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Hello All,

When you do your long training rides is one of your goals to do the whole distance without stopping (race simulation) or is stopping once or twice as needed not a big deal to you?

I am doing the MS 150 this weekend and am trying to decide  how to ride the course. While I have a group of people who's "team" I am a part of, I know that they will be stopping at all the aid stations for food, bathroom and water breaks.  I really beleive that this is a great opportunity for me to get a feel for riding 56+ miles strait without stopping ( the ride is 75 miles each day) and am thinking of going out on my own the first day and riding with the group the second day. Also, while I am taking my road bike, I want to put my aerobars back on it and the group doesn't allow aerobars at all.    Thoughts?

I'll do a few group/charity rides a year, I generally treat these as social rides and do as the group does.  You will get plenty of value from the time in saddle regardless of the effort. 

2010-06-22 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2936592

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI

PennState - 2010-06-22 11:30 AM Nice run for me this am with a swim this afternoon. What's on tap for the group?

Got an early morning run in and a bike ride in this evening.  Good ride for me tonight, local group ride again and I was able to hang again the entire ride.  Really hot and humid, I actually like to train in these conditions so I can acclimate in the event race days conditions are similar.

Time for me to start ramping up the overall training volume in prep for IMOO.  Looks like more two a days in the future.   

2010-06-22 8:38 PM
in reply to: #2769226

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Does anyone have any experience with heel pain or plantar fasciitis?

After my long run on Sunday I woke up Monday morning to a bit of heel pain on the back and outside part of my right heel. Monday was a rest day so I took it easy and tried to stay off of it, and did the same today, but it seems to be getting worse. Emailed my coach and he says I probably bruised it and to take it easy and swim tomorrow instead of running according to my schedule. 

Part of me is thinking that it's only been two days and to just rest and see if it gets better. The other part of me is thinking that it is the beginnings of plantar fasciitis (pain matches many of the symptoms) and that I should get to the doc ASAP to try to get some stretches or something to nip it in the bud. I think I'm just freaking out a bit since I've been doing so well with training and haven't been injured and now my race is 3 weeks away and I'm faced with this new obstacle. Help!
2010-06-22 8:43 PM
in reply to: #2937773

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-06-22 8:55 PM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I got a decent swim in tonight, in fact I passed 2009 in total yards with tonights swim, not that it is much to brag about as 2010 has not been that great of volume either! 

I don't know, people complain about the treadmill and trainer being boring, but at least I can put on a tv show or movie or something, the bottom of the pool just never changes.  I know I need to do it and that what drives me to the water, reaching my racing goals.

Then I stumble upon this thread and I don't know whether to swim, bike or run more!   BTW Fred, your posts in this thread was an oasis of sanity in a dessert of extremes!!

Edited by kenj 2010-06-22 9:19 PM

2010-06-23 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2937477

Master
Millersville, MD

Hello All,

I'll take a different position than the others - I try to avoid stopping.  I can carry about 80 miles worth of nutrition if I put 3 bottles in my Jersey pockets.  Even on 100+ mile rides, I try to ride the first 80 before stopping, instead of stopping at the halfway point like I want to.  I think there is a huge benefit to uninturrupted T.I.T.S. when IM training.  For me the 80 + 20 is so much more difficult than 50 + 50.

Nothing you can do about aerobars on the group ride.  IMHO they are smart not to allow them... bike handling is important in group riding.  You'll still get the fitness benefit of the ride, so no worries.
2010-06-23 10:53 AM

Expert
I can't wait for this week to be over so I'm on vacation. I've had to work so much this week to make sure that the tv station I work at has consumer/investigative stories to run next week. Got to love it that you have to work doubly hard before you go on vacation.

This has meant that I'm working out until 10-11 o'clock at night. I missed a 30 min run yesterday but I'm going to make it up today so I can stay on my volume for the week. The BT 1/2 IM training program is pretty doable for me but I will add some more longer bike rides as it gets more towards the end. It only has one 3 hour ride in the whole program.
2010-06-23 11:03 AM
in reply to: #2938846

2010-06-23 5:08 PM

2010-06-23 7:21 PM

Expert
I have a 30 min swim and a Tuesday make up 30 min run tonight. Shouldn't be that big of a deal. I have found that the BT 1/2 IM training plan is assuming I'm swimming 1:40/100 yds to get in the distance in the allotted time. The plan also is short on long rides so I'll just add them in sometime in August or Sept.

2010-06-24 9:32 AM

2010-06-24 9:36 AM

Master
Dunedin
I'm back!  Work has been CRAZY busy!  We just put on a Senior Picnic for the 60+ crowd in our county and it was a lot of work.  I got in two really good swims this week, had a nice long run last night and I have a 100 mile ride on Saturday. I'm excited that the volume will be dropping from here on out. I'm just tired all. the. time.  Not necessarily achy body fatigue, but more like I-could-really-use-a-nap fatigue.  I need to get my nutrition in check these last few weeks of training!  My iron intake sucks so I need to figure out how to address this pronto.

Happy training!
2010-06-24 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2941047

2010-06-24 10:19 AM

Master
Millersville, MD
I'm quiet because I'm in that last IM push before IMLP taper.  Working out every morning (usually run to beat the heat, which has been terrible for this time of year in the DC area), and either swimming or biking (or both if work is merciful that day) in the evening.

Here's a random question... anyone use veloplugs?  I've got new clincher race wheels that I need to get race ready.  I need to get rim tape (considering veloplugs instead), latex tubes (which are very hard to find), and tires.
2010-06-24 11:33 AM

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Got in a nice OWS with some training buddies last night. The water was cold but it really made my heel feel better which was an added bonus. I think my heel is just bruised since it is starting to feel better today and after talking to my coach last night at the OWS it sounds similar to a bruised heel injury he had awhile back. I hope to be back to running by next week which means I won't have missed too much this week.

Got on the bike this morning to test how the heel feels while pedaling and it felt good so I'm going to go to my coach's Computrainer class tonight. Will be a good opportunity to get a hard, focused workout in.

I've been really enjoying my OWS in the bay lately so I am toying with the idea of doing my first crossing from Alcatraz in August. My swim volume is where it should be for a crossing and I think it would be really fun.

2010-06-24 11:44 AM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Got in an hour plus on the bike battling traffic and stop lights this morning.  Couldn't get out on the open road, too much fog for my comfort!

If it isn't full of kids beating the heat this afternoon, I am planning on getting a swim in.  The apartment complex I am in has an olympic size pool, which is nice, but there are no lane lines.  Most of the time right after work it isn't an issue, but it is getting hotter so the pool is getting busier.

On another subject, race wheels and power.  Do any of you race and/or train with power?  I am seriously considering getting a rear race wheel which would eliminate racing with power.  I would still train with power.  Does any of you have an opinion of this?

2010-06-24 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2941051

Expert
PennState -  Welcome back, it was getting quiet here

hehe yeah i have been MIA also. work is INSANE...and training is really beating me up....physically...but also now mentally. so any free time i have i spend it doing nonsense stuff to rest myself/and my mind..and SLEEP
2010-06-24 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2941399

Expert
kenj

On another subject, race wheels and power.  Do any of you race and/or train with power?  I am seriously considering getting a rear race wheel which would eliminate racing with power.  I would still train with power.  Does any of you have an opinion of this?

No opinion...but i am very interested in the discussion!!
2010-06-24 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2941188

Expert
JoshKaptur -  I've got new clincher race wheels that I need to get race ready.  I need to get rim tape (considering veloplugs instead), latex tubes (which are very hard to find), and tires.

i may have missed this...but what did you get?
2010-06-24 12:01 PM

2010-06-24 12:47 PM

2010-06-24 2:46 PM
in reply to: #2941370

2010-06-24 3:01 PM

Expert
Thornton, CO
Got a 5.3 mile run in this morning, followed by a 1 mile swim at the pool.  Now eating some food, then it's time to hop on the bike and ride to downtown Denver (12miles, but I might add a few more), have a beer or two with a recruiter (carbo loading for the way home), then cruise the bike path home.  Yes, it's appropriate to meet a recruiter in spandex for beers in Colorado (if you're worked with them previously).
2010-06-24 3:42 PM

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
I have been busy stuffing my face.  Two birthdays at work today, 2 pieces of cake and a soda to boot.  I came, I saw, I ate the cake 

Ride planned for tonight, great weather as we have been getting some serious storms the last few nights.  Looking forward to burning off a few calories.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121