BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-03-15 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4659076

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed

kevinbe - 2013-03-13 11:31 PM Made it to the gym this morning for a s/b workout.  Amazing how the wheels fall off in the pool if you let it go.  Lots of work ahead for this season.  Something to look forward to.  My hip aches like an OLD man.  The thing is, I'm not that OLD yet.  Hoping this thing just sort of goes away with time.  Gonna press on.  Marathon in 9 weeks or so.

Don't EVEN start with the getting old ....50 is seriously around the corner for me and I am fighting it tooth and nail!  Nice job hitting the training again!

2013-03-15 10:56 AM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Who is racing the leprechaun this weekend? ST. Patty's Day 5Ks?
2013-03-15 2:35 PM

User image

Connecticut

Tried a run outside last night with the dog... not sure how you canadians do it. I got 3/4 a mile and couldnt breathe lol. Dog was happy to head home too.

No gym today going to try Yoga tonight and hit the weekly spinning class in the morning followed by some swimming. Knee has felt better with the brace on. Ill give it two weeks and then call the doc.

Had been really eating good the past few weeks. No over eating at all, until last night I got back into old habits. Went to my inlaws and chowed down 5 slices of pizza, a few wings, pretzels, some rotisserie chicken and then when we got home a beer and some thin mints & millk.  My wife pointed out how it was like the old me was back.  Not sure what got into to me but I really cant do things like that at all. Reason I put so much weight on over the years is that I ate like I did in high school but without all the sports to burn up the calories.

Im back on the wagon so to speak but was pretty disappointed in my behavior.

2013-03-15 4:18 PM
in reply to: #4661535

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
lp3510 - 2013-03-15 3:35 PM

Tried a run outside last night with the dog... not sure how you canadians do it. I got 3/4 a mile and couldnt breathe lol. Dog was happy to head home too.

No gym today going to try Yoga tonight and hit the weekly spinning class in the morning followed by some swimming. Knee has felt better with the brace on. Ill give it two weeks and then call the doc.

Had been really eating good the past few weeks. No over eating at all, until last night I got back into old habits. Went to my inlaws and chowed down 5 slices of pizza, a few wings, pretzels, some rotisserie chicken and then when we got home a beer and some thin mints & millk.  My wife pointed out how it was like the old me was back.  Not sure what got into to me but I really cant do things like that at all. Reason I put so much weight on over the years is that I ate like I did in high school but without all the sports to burn up the calories.

Just be thankful you caught it in 1 night and not 2 weeks later, good job.

2013-03-15 5:56 PM
in reply to: #4661749

User image

Connecticut
Burd - 2013-03-15 5:18 PM
lp3510 - 2013-03-15 3:35 PM

Just be thankful you caught it in 1 night and not 2 weeks later, good job.

Thanks man.
2013-03-15 6:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

As a new biker I didn't fully understand or appreciate how big of an advantage drafting it.  Holy crap...no wind to headwind is insane difference, lol.  Now I see why you can't draft since that would change the whole race.  Lesson learned

If I rode for 30 minutes with no pain, discomfort, or numbness in my business area does this mean I'm good with the seat I'm using or does it take longer?  I am starting to get used to it and it feels better every time I get on it.

Dang Alex you have a ton of questions...gheez man!!! Yell

Edited by Burd 2013-03-15 6:59 PM

2013-03-15 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4661878

User image

Veteran
Illinois

House shopping is stressful - especially when the the seller, who has owned the house since 1986, forgets to disclose the 300 gallon underground heating oil tank, which happens to have 250 gallons of oil left in it, or the fact that both fireplaces need to be relined and are currently unsafe / unusable.  Oh well, we'll see what happens once I get the full inspection report, and go from there.  

Blew off some stress with a 10 mile run - my longest to date.  I feel better after exercising - I wish I could remember the first time that happened, and tell it to myself 110 pounds ago.

Also, I almost forgot about this one - went out with my dad last night for beer and burgers, and got a nice flight, which happened to have this little number:  Not Your Father's Root Beer.  That stuff is dangerous, because it has almost no alcohol taste, but it's weighs in at 19.5% ABV.  I also had a nice quad - Unibroue Maudite, and two others that I can't remember.  Good stuff, but nothing sticks like that root beer sledgehammer.

Edited by mirthfuldragon 2013-03-15 9:03 PM
2013-03-15 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4660626

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Qua17 - 2013-03-15 3:58 AM

kevinbe - 2013-03-13 11:31 PM Made it to the gym this morning for a s/b workout.  Amazing how the wheels fall off in the pool if you let it go.  Lots of work ahead for this season.  Something to look forward to.  My hip aches like an OLD man.  The thing is, I'm not that OLD yet.  Hoping this thing just sort of goes away with time.  Gonna press on.  Marathon in 9 weeks or so.

Sounds like a bunch of us are nursing injuries.  Since you are pushing through it - be sure to ice that hip like it's your job.  Hope it gets better soon.

Silly question, How do I ice my hip socket?  That's what's killing me with this one.  I typically ice injuries and am back at it, but this is deep, like in the joint. 

Stayed up way 2 late the last 2 nights, so am going out on a Saturday and Sunday run.  I'm gonna push through and do the marathon at a way slower pace.  I was playing with the idea of downgrading to a HM, but I don't like the sounds of that.

There's always beer to take the edge off, right?

2013-03-15 11:41 PM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
So went to the bike store today tried out a few bikes and couldn't tell a whole lot of difference in the tiagras vs 105s and decided I liked the thought of the more rugged cyclocross bikes better and ended up buying a fuji cross 3.0. I'm happy with it it felt good and the price didn't break the bank. Can't wait to go out on a ride!
2013-03-16 6:40 AM
in reply to: #4662028

User image

Veteran
Dallas
kevinbe - 2013-03-15 9:08 PM

Sounds like a bunch of us are nursing injuries.  Since you are pushing through it - be sure to ice that hip like it's your job.  Hope it gets better soon.

Silly question, How do I ice my hip socket?  That's what's killing me with this one.  I typically ice injuries and am back at it, but this is deep, like in the joint. 

Stayed up way 2 late the last 2 nights, so am going out on a Saturday and Sunday run.  I'm gonna push through and do the marathon at a way slower pace.  I was playing with the idea of downgrading to a HM, but I don't like the sounds of that.

To ice the hip socket I think you would have to disarticulate the leg from the hip. Perhaps a hockey game?

Not sure you can ice that. Have you had that pain before? Might it be time to swim instead of run this weekend?

2013-03-16 6:43 AM
in reply to: #4662124

User image

Veteran
Dallas

jlangene - 2013-03-15 11:41 PM So went to the bike store today tried out a few bikes and couldn't tell a whole lot of difference in the tiagras vs 105s and decided I liked the thought of the more rugged cyclocross bikes better and ended up buying a fuji cross 3.0. I'm happy with it it felt good and the price didn't break the bank. Can't wait to go out on a ride!

congrats on the new bike.

I did a 5 mile run yesterday (pain free at the knee) and I am at the farm this weekend. I plan moving wood today and hopefully a 50 miler on the trainer Sunday am. I think I am going to set my trainer up upside and ride as the sun comes up. It should be interesting. I actually think it will be brutal. I just don't have it in me to ride the tri bike out here with all the dogs and pickups.

Have a good weekend everyone.

2013-03-16 7:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
kevinbe - 2013-03-15 8:08 PM

Staying up late to get practice for the new baby?? Smile

Just come up here, have a few beers and fall into a snow bank. Eventually your hip socket will be iced! 

2013-03-16 7:08 AM
in reply to: #4662203

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
bobddsmd - 2013-03-16 5:43 AM

jlangene - 2013-03-15 11:41 PM So went to the bike store today tried out a few bikes and couldn't tell a whole lot of difference in the tiagras vs 105s and decided I liked the thought of the more rugged cyclocross bikes better and ended up buying a fuji cross 3.0. I'm happy with it it felt good and the price didn't break the bank. Can't wait to go out on a ride!

I did a 5 mile run yesterday (pain free at the knee) and I am at the farm this weekend. I plan moving wood today and hopefully a 50 miler on the trainer Sunday am. I think I am going to set my trainer up upside and ride as the sun comes up. It should be interesting. I actually think it will be brutal. I just don't have it in me to ride the tri bike out here with all the dogs and pickups.

Better 50 miles on the trainer than 50 miles to the emergency room!(just barely thoughLaughing)

2013-03-16 7:09 AM
in reply to: #4662124

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

jlangene - 2013-03-15 10:41 PM So went to the bike store today tried out a few bikes and couldn't tell a whole lot of difference in the tiagras vs 105s and decided I liked the thought of the more rugged cyclocross bikes better and ended up buying a fuji cross 3.0. I'm happy with it it felt good and the price didn't break the bank. Can't wait to go out on a ride!

Great purchase! Now you are ready to fly, no matter what the road conditions!

2013-03-16 7:11 AM
in reply to: #4661878

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Burd - 2013-03-15 5:19 PM

As a new biker I didn't fully understand or appreciate how big of an advantage drafting it.  Holy crap...no wind to headwind is insane difference, lol.  Now I see why you can't draft since that would change the whole race.  Lesson learned

If I rode for 30 minutes with no pain, discomfort, or numbness in my business area does this mean I'm good with the seat I'm using or does it take longer?  I am starting to get used to it and it feels better every time I get on it.

Dang Alex you have a ton of questions...gheez man!!! Yell

You definitely get used to the seat especially if you haven't biked much!

Great job on the ride!

2013-03-16 7:12 AM
in reply to: #4662011

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
mirthfuldragon - 2013-03-15 7:53 PM

House shopping is stressful - especially when the the seller, who has owned the house since 1986, forgets to disclose the 300 gallon underground heating oil tank, which happens to have 250 gallons of oil left in it, or the fact that both fireplaces need to be relined and are currently unsafe / unusable.  Oh well, we'll see what happens once I get the full inspection report, and go from there.  

Blew off some stress with a 10 mile run - my longest to date.  I feel better after exercising - I wish I could remember the first time that happened, and tell it to myself 110 pounds ago.

Also, I almost forgot about this one - went out with my dad last night for beer and burgers, and got a nice flight, which happened to have this little number:  Not Your Father's Root Beer.  That stuff is dangerous, because it has almost no alcohol taste, but it's weighs in at 19.5% ABV.  I also had a nice quad - Unibroue Maudite, and two others that I can't remember.  Good stuff, but nothing sticks like that root beer sledgehammer.

your tongue must have been numb after that root beer!

2013-03-16 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4662203

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
bobddsmd - 2013-03-16 4:43 AM

That sounds like a killer trainer ride, but this'll set you up nicely for you HIM.  Way to get it done.  Question.  Went not on the property, do you have access to routes that are less adventurous?  Getting those longer rides in was a real boost to my confidence during my training last year.
2013-03-16 12:21 PM
in reply to: #4662221

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
thor67 - 2013-03-16 5:07 AM
kevinbe - 2013-03-15 8:08 PM

Staying up late to get practice for the new baby?? Smile

Just come up here, have a few beers and fall into a snow bank. Eventually your hip socket will be iced! 

Are you guys still in the thick of snow up there Thor?  Hey, I guess it's a cheap way to keep the Molson, or the Labatts cooled off, eh.  Wink
2013-03-16 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4662227

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
thor67 - 2013-03-16 5:12 AM
mirthfuldragon - 2013-03-15 7:53 PM

your tongue must have been numb after that root beer!

I missed this little gemstone.  I need to go out for beverages with you sometime.  DANG!  19.5%!  Smile
2013-03-16 12:31 PM
in reply to: #4662427

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

With the hip still on the fritz, I'm going to switch from running 5-6 times per week to 3-4 times while trying to keep the miles relatively the same.  I've finally come to grips with the fact that I will not meet my goal for this marathon, and I think I'm o.k. with that.  There's always next year.  My new goal is to go out, and have a good time while finishing around the 4:00:00 mark.  Maybe I can encourage or support some runners along the way.

With all the cycle talk on the board, I was thinking of switching my focus and beginning my own transition to puting some miles on my bike.  If the weather can warm up a few more degrees, I can start biking before work, and bike once on the weekends to start to build a base before HIM training.

I'm selling my comuter car to our niece, and am going to start riding to work and back every day.  It's only a 4.5 mile ride, but it'll help for this year's base.

What beverage will  you all be enjoying for St. Patty's Day?

2013-03-16 12:46 PM
in reply to: #4662011

User image

Connecticut
mirthfuldragon - 2013-03-15 9:53 PM

Holy crap that sounds like a great beer! Great job on the run and that amazing weight loss.

2013-03-16 9:29 PM

User image

Expert
kevinbe - 2013-03-15 9:08 PM

Yea - good point... I don't think you can really get at the hip socket but I wonder if just icing your hip would help improve bloodflow to the area... After I workout, lay on my side with my hip on a ice pack... Give it a try.  

And yes - there is always beer!

2013-03-17 11:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Drank a Franziskaner Weissbier last night. 1 word, yum.  What other beers have a taste like Weissbiers?  I tried an IPA but was just to "hoppy" for me.  I enjoy wheat beers I guess.  I'm headed to Total Wine this week and they have 1 isle about 150 feet long with only singles in there.  This place is in an old hardware superstore, it's huge.  
2013-03-17 1:21 PM
in reply to: #4663124

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Burd - 2013-03-17 9:47 AM Drank a Franziskaner Weissbier last night. 1 word, yum.  What other beers have a taste like Weissbiers?  I tried an IPA but was just to "hoppy" for me.  I enjoy wheat beers I guess.  I'm headed to Total Wine this week and they have 1 isle about 150 feet long with only singles in there.  This place is in an old hardware superstore, it's huge.  

That's my favorite store on the planet.  4 wharehouse isles dedicated to nothing other than beer.  Kristal Weissen=light

Dunkelweissen=dark, and Heffeweissen is inbetween.  I enoy the type that has just enough citrus in it to give you a great aftertaste.  I recommend you enjoy as many as you can.

2013-03-17 1:24 PM
in reply to: #4663202

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

13.6 miles in the books.  Slower pace=no hip pain.  Great news.  hoping the temps rise a bit so I can get out on an early morning ride this week. 

Goal for next week:

32+mpw run, at least 1 bike, and a 16 mile long run.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97