BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-06-25 7:01 PM
in reply to: #2944561

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-06-25 10:56 PM
in reply to: #2769226

Expert
Thornton, CO
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
Got a great 12mile mountain bike ride in this morning (nothing extreme, mostly rollers with a bit of a climb in the middle).  Then got a great trail run in this afternoon, 7.8 miles, out and back run.  Starts at 6000ft, uphill the entire way out (even the "flat" sections aren't actually flat... they are just not 10% grade, which makes them feel flat).  In 3.9 miles we topped out at 7750ft, making it an average of 8.5% grade.

I know none of todays workouts are the normal s/b/r of triathlon, but I think getting out for the occasional mountain bike ride and trail run is beneficial.  Not only for a mental break from the normal tri training, but I think it adds value in other aspects that transfer over.  How do others feel?

Personally:

I think mountain biking helps with two things for triathlon.  
  1. Climbing hills, none of the tri courses I ride are dead flat, they all have hills on the course.  Mountain biking often has a LOT of hills and during a race, climbing hills more efficiently and faster than others is one place where you can make up time where a lot of people lose it. 
  2. It's a lot like an interval workout.  You go hard for a while and then get a recovery period on the downhills.  So often during my road bike rides I just sit and spin with a very constant/steady cadence, no peaking of my heart rate, no letting myself recover. I know I SHOULD do intervals on the bike, but I think I have a mental block on the road of doing that and mountain biking gives me that workout naturally.

Trail running I think helps in a number of ways.  
  1. I strengthens your stabilizer muscles and ligaments around your angle and knees.  
  2. The trails I run have a LOT of uphill, which I think helps in a couple ways by itself... the most obvious, when there's a hill on a road course during the run it's rarely ever as steep as what the trails I've run are, so they seem "easy".  I read an article in Runners World once about a study done comparing the biomechanics of walking up an 8% grade on a treadmill and sprinting, the two were bio-mechanically identical.  Walking (or better yet, running) uphill puts you on your toes, makes you lift your knees higher, and relative to the ground, you're leaning forwards... which is exactly what you do when you're sprinting.  So it's like a sprint workout bio-mechanically.  Even though you're going a LOT slower, your heart rate is still high when you're doing it as well.  
  3. It teaches you to be able to run faster downhill and let gravity do the work.  This is something I realized 4 months ago that I was weak on.  I'd fall slowly behind groups on uphills, I'd be faster than them on flat sections, but then when a downhill came, they'd fly past me again like I was standing still.  I was fighting gravity going both uphill and downhill.  Since running these trails I've learned to let gravity do more of the work, I now run faster downhill than I used to AND my heart rate is lower than it used to be while doing it.

Although it may fall out of the realm of specificity that is talked about a lot in our sport, I think that the combination of those benefits and the break from the monotony of training is valuable.  In my case it has solved a number of flaws in my training program while still having a lot of fun doing it (does anyone REALLY love intervals?)
2010-06-25 11:18 PM
in reply to: #2944894

Expert
Kath2163 - 2010-06-25 5:43 PM I have the MS 150 this weekend.  This will  be the longest two days on my bike ever.  My brother, aunt and second cousin all have MS so they will be my motivation.  It should be a good time.
I hope everyone has a great weekend!

What a great thing to do. I know you'll have a wonderful time and prove to yourself that you are a beast on the bike. Let us know how it went and be safe.
2010-06-25 11:25 PM

Expert
Took yesterday as my one rest day of the week. I biked for 45 min tonight and ran for 30 min. I'm replacing the third swim in my training plan for an extra run. I need a lot work on my run and so I'll swap out the 30 min.

Saturday is 1 hour run and Sunday is 1 1/2 hour bike.
2010-06-25 11:39 PM

Expert
Thornton, CO
Another discussion topic here (RE: the swim):

Last weekend during my swim I got to experience the chaos in the water for the first time.  Typically I either seeded myself at that back or on the far side (farthest from the first turn bouy) in order to avoid the chaos in the water.  The times I did that I had what I considered a great swim.  This past race I took a different approach and put myself in the middle of everyone in that wave.  I definitely wasn't ready for that.

I'm suspecting that at IMAZ (and most likely the Boulder 70.3) I'm going to be unlikely to be able to get a far side starting point with the massive number of people that will be in the water for the start.  I'll likely end up in amongst the chaos.  I still have a number of smaller tris before both the Boulder 70.3 and IMAZ.  Should I position myself in the middle again at these smaller ones and HTFU so I get used to the elbows, inability to go around people, and how it's more difficult to get clean air with good form because of the massive turbulence in the water?
2010-06-26 7:13 AM
in reply to: #2945216

2010-06-26 9:30 AM

Expert
Thornton, CO
My swim times are typically dead center MOP at races, based on both AG and overall ranking.  So unfortunately, It sounds like you're saying to seed myself in the middle.
2010-06-26 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2945370

2010-06-26 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2945380

Expert
Thornton, CO
PennState - 2010-06-26 8:43 AM
zionvier - 2010-06-26 10:30 AM My swim times are typically dead center MOP at races, based on both AG and overall ranking.  So unfortunately, It sounds like you're saying to seed myself in the middle.
Not really. You have to factor in the competetion in the given race in your AG. I think you will find at the Boulder 70.3 as well as IMAZ that your swim pace may put you a bit more toward the Back of the MOP or the front of the BOP (if that makes sense). Especially in the 70.3 where you will swim in waves and your wave will likely have faster swimmers than some other waves. Your swim times in the 2 races I looked at (harvest moon, recent sprint), you were exactly in the MOP, but the level of competition is often (not always) higher at the branded 70.3, 140.6 events. Something to consider would be starting a little further back to avoid the melee, but only you can figure out where you are most comfortable. Heck I'm a decent swimmer and I still have no idea where to seed myself at mass start ironman events. You could also consider swimming more and then you might get faster and be able to seed yourself further toward the start. But ultimately no, I would not actually suggest you seed right in the middle of the pack. Where exactly, I dunno. Guess you will have to figure that one out Good luck!

Thanks.  I've started swimming more recently and will definitely have it in my logs more often from now on.  I have a friend that used to be a college swimmer and used to rank really well in tris (he's strictly a runner now).  He's going to work with me on my form, we'll be getting together next week at the pool, so hopefully he'll be able to point me in the direction to start getting myself up towards the front of the MOP or back of the FOP. 

In the mean time, I'm probably going to hang towards the back & side of the swim starts ;-
2010-06-26 4:27 PM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
First 75 miles in the books.  I took this picture this morning at the start.  I was so amazed by the lack of people, lines... everything that I had to take a picture.Three years ago I would never have thought that a  row of empty port-a-potties at the beginning of a race or other sporting event would excite me. Wink

(GetAttachment.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
GetAttachment.jpg (35KB - 7 downloads)
2010-06-26 5:09 PM
in reply to: #2945662

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Kath2163 - 2010-06-26 5:27 PM First 75 miles in the books.  I took this picture this morning at the start.  I was so amazed by the lack of people, lines... everything that I had to take a picture.Three years ago I would never have thought that a  row of empty port-a-potties at the beginning of a race or other sporting event would excite me. Wink

This would bring a tear to bob stocks eye!

Nice riding today Kathy, have a great time tomorrow!

2010-06-26 5:10 PM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

One of my few bricks for this training plan (there were more, I just seperated them).  62 miles on the bike with the group and five plus miles on the run.  Legs felt good, the heat made it a mental challenge!

2010-06-26 5:16 PM
in reply to: #2945707

2010-06-27 8:45 AM

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Got my first look at the IMOO bike course yesterday.  Rode with a few friends, a very relaxed pace. Good to see it up front and see what it looks like.  Constant hills, hardly an if any flat areas where you can get down into aero and cruise for awhile.  It looks like my road bike with clip on set up is going to be well suited for this particular course.

Greg
2010-06-27 2:09 PM

Expert
Got up this morning for my weekly 1 1/2 hour ride and everything was going fine. Did my neighborhood loop to warm up and did the bike mountain hill to the North of us. I was about 40 minutes into my ride when I ran over some rocks and blew my back tire. No problem, I've changed a few tires so I'm sort of a pro (that's a joke). I tooke the punctured one out and put the new one in. I thought I could get it done quickly so I could get back on the road. I went to inflate it with my co2 cartridge and pop. I didn't check to make sure that the tube was seated in the tire and not pinched. Well let's just write that up as a learning experience. I had several bikers pass me that offered me tubes but I didn't want to take their spares. I called my wife and she came and got me. It was the ride of shame home with my bike in the back of the car. I didn't even realize that I still had my helmet on when I got out of the car at home. I'm such a dork.

Well, I'll be finishing up the weeks workout later. 45 more minutes on the stationary bike at the gym and an hour run outside tonight.

This next week is vacation so I should be able to get my workouts in pretty easily.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and did well at their races. I can tell a lot of you are at your high points in your IM training cause you aren't on as much. I'll spend some time this week looking at people's logs.

Edited by phxphotog 2010-06-27 2:11 PM
2010-06-27 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2946481

Master
Redlands, CA
phxphotog - 2010-06-27 12:09 PM Got up this morning for my weekly 1 1/2 hour ride and everything was going fine. Did my neighborhood loop to warm up and did the bike mountain hill to the North of us. I was about 40 minutes into my ride when I ran over some rocks and blew my back tire. No problem, I've changed a few tires so I'm sort of a pro (that's a joke). I tooke the punctured one out and put the new one in. I thought I could get it done quickly so I could get back on the road. I went to inflate it with my co2 cartridge and pop. I didn't check to make sure that the tube was seated in the tire and not pinched. Well let's just write that up as a learning experience. I had several bikers pass me that offered me tubes but I didn't want to take their spares. I called my wife and she came and got me. It was the ride of shame home with my bike in the back of the car. I didn't even realize that I still had my helmet on when I got out of the car at home. I'm such a dork.

Well, I'll be finishing up the weeks workout later. 45 more minutes on the stationary bike at the gym and an hour run outside tonight.

This next week is vacation so I should be able to get my workouts in pretty easily.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and did well at their races. I can tell a lot of you are at your high points in your IM training cause you aren't on as much. I'll spend some time this week looking at people's logs.

Trust me, we've all been there.  I've had to get picked up a few times.  The worst was probably a few years back running on an empty stomach in 110 heat, I had a serious bonk 8 miles out from home. 

Being the victim of a pinch flat, I always seat my tubes.

2010-06-27 4:47 PM

2010-06-27 6:57 PM
in reply to: #2946481

Pro
Canandaigua NY

phxphotog - 2010-06-27 3:09 PM Got up this morning for my weekly 1 1/2 hour ride and everything was going fine. Did my neighborhood loop to warm up and did the bike mountain hill to the North of us. I was about 40 minutes into my ride when I ran over some rocks and blew my back tire. No problem, I've changed a few tires so I'm sort of a pro (that's a joke). I tooke the punctured one out and put the new one in. I thought I could get it done quickly so I could get back on the road. I went to inflate it with my co2 cartridge and pop. I didn't check to make sure that the tube was seated in the tire and not pinched. Well let's just write that up as a learning experience. I had several bikers pass me that offered me tubes but I didn't want to take their spares. I called my wife and she came and got me. It was the ride of shame home with my bike in the back of the car. I didn't even realize that I still had my helmet on when I got out of the car at home. I'm such a dork.

I had to call for the ride home just a couple of weeks ago.  Went through my tube, used the tube my friend had, and when the 3rd flat came I was 2 miles from home so called the rescue wagon!  Only the first flat was my fault, pulled a little hard on the stem airing it up.  The other 2 were from road junk.  I have had pincher flats though.  Fred's check list is on the mark!!

2010-06-27 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2946675

Pro
Canandaigua NY

PennState - 2010-06-27 5:47 PM Yes, take your time changing a flat. 1. Take off the tire and blown tube 2. Check the tires on the inside VERY carefully for glass or cuts 3. Only take off one side of the tire, this allows you to take the tube off without completely taking off the tire 4. Insert partially inflated tube into the tire 5. Pinch the tire around the tube 6. THEN check VERY carefully for pinches. Pull the tire and tube up to alleviate any pinches. 7. Inflate! BTW, check out my logs, serious ironman training going on

Great work Fred!!!

I was going to brag about my totals until I saw yours!  But then I don't start IM training for another couple of weeks!

2010-06-27 8:53 PM

Expert
Thornton, CO
Got out for 125miles on the bike today (100 of which was with a group).  About 90 miles in I got a flat on the front tire.  Group stopped, I changed it real quick, as I'm putting the bike back on the road, we noticed that the back tire was now leaking air because of another thorn it picked up when I was changing the front and the bike was off on the side of the road.  Had to borrow a tube for the rear.  Got back on again and finished out the ride without another flat luckily, otherwise I'd have been begging someone on my way home for a spare (I don't have a wife to call to pick me up).
2010-06-27 9:29 PM
in reply to: #2947145

Expert
zionvier - 2010-06-27 7:53 PM Got out for 125miles on the bike today (100 of which was with a group).  About 90 miles in I got a flat on the front tire.  Group stopped, I changed it real quick, as I'm putting the bike back on the road, we noticed that the back tire was now leaking air because of another thorn it picked up when I was changing the front and the bike was off on the side of the road.  Had to borrow a tube for the rear.  Got back on again and finished out the ride without another flat luckily, otherwise I'd have been begging someone on my way home for a spare (I don't have a wife to call to pick me up).

Nice effort today. Sorry about the flats. I guess it wasn't our day. I'll get a new tire and tube tomorrow and be back on the road Tuesday for my hour ride. Does anyone have any suggestions for training tires or tubes? I have a 700x23c tire size.

2010-06-27 10:15 PM
in reply to: #2947218

Expert
Thornton, CO
I've always run tires similar to these:

I like how the center is smooth and has some low rolling resistence, but the sides are made of a different rubber that offers more traction.  Overall I don't get that many flats (yes, I know I just had two at one time, but the thorns around here are made of titanium I think).

Right now I run the Hutchinson Equinox, but I've also used Mitchelins in the past that were similar.  The Mitchelin's I found never stretched out and were really really hard to put on, the Hutchinson's were hard the first time, but when I had to change them today they were able to be put back on without and wrenches. 

As for tubes... I prefer tubes with valve stems that do NOT have the threading on them, I feel like the threads tear up my pump valve little by little. 
2010-06-28 9:04 AM

Expert
Just read a very informative article on here called Protein, Carbs & Endurance Performance: Finding the Right Balance. Check it out.

On tape for today is a 40 min run and 40 min swim. Shouldn't be a problem.
2010-06-28 9:17 AM

Expert

Body of triathlete recovered and identified

Derek Valentino, a mail carrier and father of two, had worked hard in preparation for his first triathlon.

He never really got the chance to compete.

Sunday night, almost 34 hours after Valentino entered the water for the swim leg of an amateur sprint triathlon, police recovered his body in the Schuykill River.

Valentino, 40, of Prospect Park, "worked very hard for his family," said a friend, Samantha Savukinas. He was the father of two boys, ages 15 and 17, and had been avidly training for Saturday's event.

"He tried very hard for the triathlon, and he's very loved and will be missed," said Savukinas.

The search for Valentino's body consumed most of the day yesterday and canceled the swim leg of Sunday's Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon, the main event on a weekend that drew scores of triathletes to the city. Competitors instead ran two legs of the race and biked the third.

"We did it out of respect for the man's family," Richard Adler, race director, said of the change in plans. "The competitors were very understanding."

Valentino worked for the U.S. Postal Service for about 20 years, said Savukinas. He went into the water about 8:22 a.m. Saturday with a wave of about 100 swimmers in the 40- to 44-year-old age bracket.

The swimmers entered on the Martin Luther King Drive side of the Schuylkill, not far from Montgomery Avenue. They swam to Columbia Avenue bridge and returned to the spot where they had started, a distance of about a half mile. The police department's marine unit recovered the body in the river at 1500 Martin Luther King Drive, authorities said.

A search was launched for the missing athlete after he failed to emerge by 9:40 a.m. Adler said that between lifeguards, kayaks, and marine boats, there were at least 20 people watching the water at that time, but that no one saw anything unusual.

"I think that we are probably considered one of the safest races out there," Adler said. "But I think that this is, by nature, a dangerous sport. And I think the athletes know that going in. So we will absolutely take a look at what we did, but I truly believe we were very well covered out there, as we have been for the past six years."

In a statement, Adler said all those involved in the triathlon "want to extend our sincere and deepest sympathy to the participant's family. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this difficult time."

From a competition standpoint, many athletes said that taking the swim out of the triathlon not only changed the playing field, but made it more difficult to deal with the persistent humidity Sunday.

None, however, questioned the decision to change the race from an Olympic-distance triathlon to a duathalon - which consists of a 10 kilometer run, a 20K cycle, and finally another 5K run.

"It was definitely the call they had to make," said Bevan Docherty, the two-time Olympic medalist who took home the men's title Sunday.

2010-06-28 10:41 AM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Never good when this happens.  What a tragedy.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121