BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-06-28 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2947807

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
phxphotog - 2010-06-28 7:17 AM

Body of triathlete recovered and identified

Derek Valentino, a mail carrier and father of two, had worked hard in preparation for his first triathlon.

He never really got the chance to compete.

Sunday night, almost 34 hours after Valentino entered the water for the swim leg of an amateur sprint triathlon, police recovered his body in the Schuykill River.

Valentino, 40, of Prospect Park, "worked very hard for his family," said a friend, Samantha Savukinas. He was the father of two boys, ages 15 and 17, and had been avidly training for Saturday's event.

"He tried very hard for the triathlon, and he's very loved and will be missed," said Savukinas.

The search for Valentino's body consumed most of the day yesterday and canceled the swim leg of Sunday's Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon, the main event on a weekend that drew scores of triathletes to the city. Competitors instead ran two legs of the race and biked the third.

"We did it out of respect for the man's family," Richard Adler, race director, said of the change in plans. "The competitors were very understanding."

Valentino worked for the U.S. Postal Service for about 20 years, said Savukinas. He went into the water about 8:22 a.m. Saturday with a wave of about 100 swimmers in the 40- to 44-year-old age bracket.

The swimmers entered on the Martin Luther King Drive side of the Schuylkill, not far from Montgomery Avenue. They swam to Columbia Avenue bridge and returned to the spot where they had started, a distance of about a half mile. The police department's marine unit recovered the body in the river at 1500 Martin Luther King Drive, authorities said.

A search was launched for the missing athlete after he failed to emerge by 9:40 a.m. Adler said that between lifeguards, kayaks, and marine boats, there were at least 20 people watching the water at that time, but that no one saw anything unusual.

"I think that we are probably considered one of the safest races out there," Adler said. "But I think that this is, by nature, a dangerous sport. And I think the athletes know that going in. So we will absolutely take a look at what we did, but I truly believe we were very well covered out there, as we have been for the past six years."

In a statement, Adler said all those involved in the triathlon "want to extend our sincere and deepest sympathy to the participant's family. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this difficult time."

From a competition standpoint, many athletes said that taking the swim out of the triathlon not only changed the playing field, but made it more difficult to deal with the persistent humidity Sunday.

None, however, questioned the decision to change the race from an Olympic-distance triathlon to a duathalon - which consists of a 10 kilometer run, a 20K cycle, and finally another 5K run.

"It was definitely the call they had to make," said Bevan Docherty, the two-time Olympic medalist who took home the men's title Sunday.

So, so sad to hear about this. My thoughts go out to his family.

2010-06-28 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2769226

Expert
ohh man that is terrible
2010-06-28 12:44 PM

Expert
and sorry to hear about all the flats this weekend

I did my last hard ride in prep for IMLP. i did 112 miles...with a little over 10,000 feet of climbing. It went surprisingly well. Snapped my front derailer cable at mile 50...so that was annoying. only other problem was my nutrition. I tried something a little different this time...and by mile 85 my stomach was NOT good. Finsihed strong though..just couldnt run after the ride like i wanted. Any suggestions on what to do if you feel ur stomach sloshing on the bike?? or even on the run? or is it too late at that point?
Trying to stay mentally strong and not obsess about the failed nutrition in my last real test
2010-06-28 1:06 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

x3 on Bob Stocks and the port-o-johns!

Josh-thanks for the sexy tire explanation, I appreciate it.  I started out with a cheaper version (if you can believe it) of this bike from Target: http://www.amazon.com/GMC-Denali-Womens-Road-Frame/dp/B001HN5I2E  So, when people talk about wheel sets costing thousands of dollars it baffles me since my first bike was around $150 (plus about $30 for a LBS to put it together for me). =)

That's awful about the triathlete death... speaking of rstocks-he was at that race!

This week... I *think* I'm getting ready to start tapering for IMLP!!!!!  I keep looking at the training plan and looking at the calendar and I can't wrap my head around one week of recovery and then two weeks of tapering. Craaaaaazy.

2010-06-28 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2948428

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
dharris13 - 2010-06-28 11:44 AM and sorry to hear about all the flats this weekend

I did my last hard ride in prep for IMLP. i did 112 miles...with a little over 10,000 feet of climbing. It went surprisingly well. Snapped my front derailer cable at mile 50...so that was annoying. only other problem was my nutrition. I tried something a little different this time...and by mile 85 my stomach was NOT good. Finsihed strong though..just couldnt run after the ride like i wanted. Any suggestions on what to do if you feel ur stomach sloshing on the bike?? or even on the run? or is it too late at that point?
Trying to stay mentally strong and not obsess about the failed nutrition in my last real test

I've had the sloshing during training runs, but have managed to avoid it in races.  During training runs I've found the only way I could remedy it is to back the pace off a little from what I wanted, keep running and stop taking any fluids or nutrition in during that time unfortunately.  After a while once it's gone, I start taking much smaller sips of fluid at first, barely anything really.  Slowly starting to go faster and slowly starting to get back to my normal intake.  It has taken a number of attempts though to figure out how little to take in so that I didn't just make the issue reoccur.

For races, I start hydrating a few days prior, get my tank topped off basically two days before a race, maintain the day before, then the morning off I take in some decent fluids 3-4 hours before, but two hours prior to the race I stop altogether.  That seems to give my stomach time to process what was there and more importantly, use the rest room before the race actually starts without having extra in there that will want to come out an hour into a race.  If I'm worried about my hydration within those last 2 hours (if it's a hotter than normal day), I take little 1oz sips every 10-15minutes or so while I'm just standing around... I've made the mistake too many times of taking too much in at once 30 minutes before a race.
2010-06-28 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2945216

User image

Master
Dunedin
zionvier - 2010-06-26 12:39 AM 

Should I position myself in the middle again at these smaller ones and HTFU so I get used to the elbows, inability to go around people, and how it's more difficult to get clean air with good form because of the massive turbulence in the water?

Good question: I think reading the news article about the triathlete dying during the swim might change my perspective on the swim for non-strong swimmers.

I personally think it's a good thing to practice swimming in that chaos for your bigger races.  Most of us here don't regret taking on a challenge and seeing it through as best we can.

However, I'm learning from the triathletes in our local club that I entirely overestimate other people's ability in the water!  I don't know how many races I've done, but I never found myself in a panic on open water, but I've worked with athletes who have and it's because their fitness and confidence wasn't there.  To me-it sounds as there's more of an inconvenience factor that you're talking about, not that you're "scared" of going under water or "scared" of not being able to breathe.  SO, since you have smaller races-go for the chaos, unless you have reservations for your safety.

For Ironman Lake Placid we're supposed to have 3,000 swimmers in the water. I'm confident in my swimming ability and my defenseman ability.  I think 17 years of competitive swimming plus my fair share of co-ed water polo games have prepped me for those first 15 minutes of the swim start (although I think a lot of the touching, grabbing, and pulling during the water polo was more out of sexual frustration of all those college-age hormones than anything else!).  So, my game plan is to go the most direct route on the swim course.  I want to ask people around me what they plan on swimming.  Rstocks says I should be able to swim around 1:06, but the potential is there to go faster because of the whirlpool effect.  I'll keep asking until I find people swimming 1:04-1:08 and just go from there.  I don't plan on overseeding myself, but it'd be nice to catch some free speed.  If I get swam on top of-so be it. I've drank my fair share of water, I've adjusted my breathing pattern, I've adjusted my kicking pattern to react to what's going on around me and that's okay. 

Originally, I was excited for this washing machine effect so that I could say "YES, I did an Ironman and YES I was in the midst of all the action in the water" but reading that article reminded me that having ONE person swim on top of me is no biggie, BUT perhaps it's possible to have that one person be followed directly behind and around other persons...yanno?  I think in a few weeks I won't think about the "what ifs" because that's what my wetsuit is for (right??) as long as I have a last resort to keep my azz floating then things are gravy.

BTW - I agree on your ideas about trail running and mtn biking (though I haven't tried that yet, I do do aquajogging and swear by it)

2010-06-28 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2948603

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-06-28 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2948524

Expert
zionvier - 2010-06-28 2:07 PM
dharris13 - 2010-06-28 11:44 AM and sorry to hear about all the flats this weekend

I've had the sloshing during training runs, but have managed to avoid it in races.  During training runs I've found the only way I could remedy it is to back the pace off a little from what I wanted, keep running and stop taking any fluids or nutrition in during that time unfortunately.  After a while once it's gone, I start taking much smaller sips of fluid at first, barely anything really.  Slowly starting to go faster and slowly starting to get back to my normal intake.  It has taken a number of attempts though to figure out how little to take in so that I didn't just make the issue reoccur.

For races, I start hydrating a few days prior, get my tank topped off basically two days before a race, maintain the day before, then the morning off I take in some decent fluids 3-4 hours before, but two hours prior to the race I stop altogether.  That seems to give my stomach time to process what was there and more importantly, use the rest room before the race actually starts without having extra in there that will want to come out an hour into a race.  If I'm worried about my hydration within those last 2 hours (if it's a hotter than normal day), I take little 1oz sips every 10-15minutes or so while I'm just standing around... I've made the mistake too many times of taking too much in at once 30 minutes before a race.

Great advice..thanks for the insight!
2010-06-28 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2948657

Expert
PennState -  I swam LP in 1:06 and 1:05. We should swim together I guess Sara

Make sure you find me and say hi...when you guys pass me on the second loop
2010-06-28 2:43 PM

Master
Millersville, MD

I have a friend who swears the way to remedy the slosh is to "reset" your nutriton.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulimia_nervosa for helpful hints.

Me... I'd prefer to be a tad conservative and run a few calories under than to err on the side of having too much.

?

2010-06-28 3:09 PM

Master
Redlands, CA
That's too bad about the triathlete, I hate to say it but I don't like seeing these posts all the time (especially the cycling ones) about deaths;  I know its dangerous and I really don't want to feel like my hobby is as dangerous as being in Afghanistan.  Maybe that makes me cold hearted I don't know.

The one thing that I never hear in triathlon and I always hear in surfing is 'no matter how good of a swimmer you are, you have about 10 seconds under water before bad things happen.'  If someone gets kicked or trampled in the water there is a good chance they have no oxygen in their lungs; I do practice going under with no oxygen and its tougher because you sink like a rock.

2010-06-28 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2948851

Expert
JoshKaptur - 2010-06-28 3:43 PM

I have a friend who swears the way to remedy the slosh is to "reset" your nutriton.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulimia_nervosa for helpful hints.

Me... I'd prefer to be a tad conservative and run a few calories under than to err on the side of having too much.

?

haha thanks for that Josh. yeah i took in the same #cals as always..and same amount of water....just a little different source (usually do 6 gus..and 6 gus mixed with perpetuem....this time did 12 gus mixed with perpetuem).
ANd i imagine the 40 degree temp swing through me off a bit too

But i agree....easier to fix a calorie or H20 shortage than a surplus IMO
2010-06-28 4:02 PM

2010-06-28 4:03 PM
in reply to: #2948916

2010-06-28 6:02 PM

2010-06-28 6:58 PM

2010-06-28 9:35 PM
in reply to: #2949445

Master
Millersville, MD
PennState - 2010-06-28 7:58 PM btw we have to have a meet up at some point in LP for Josh, Sara, dylan and myself. I will probably swim in the am's and will ride the new course addition as well.

I'll be there!
2010-06-29 9:33 AM

Expert
same here
2010-06-29 2:49 PM

2010-06-29 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2951291

Pro
Canandaigua NY

PennState - 2010-06-29 3:49 PM Got a nice run in this am. Anyone else training today?

Same here, though not as long as yours.  I am already 2 hours over plan (only one hour on the plan) for running this week, but it was too foggy to ride this morning.  The HIM plan is in taper as Musselman is coming up in a couple of weeks.  But, I made this trip to CA on my own, so I will still hit the training hard this week since I have nothing better to do.  Planning on an easier week next week with a focus on OWS.   

2010-06-29 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2951291

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
PennState - 2010-06-29 12:49 PM Got a nice run in this am. Anyone else training today?

Swimming 2,700 yards after work. Was planning on it this morning but at 5:15 when I got up my coach still hadn't posted my workouts for the week so I had to bump it to after work. I'm pretty tired but I just keep telling myself to push through since I only have three weeks until the Vineman half. I know taper will be here before I know it.

2010-06-29 8:28 PM
in reply to: #2951532

Master
Millersville, MD
calimavs - 2010-06-29 5:19 PM
PennState - 2010-06-29 12:49 PM Got a nice run in this am. Anyone else training today?

Swimming 2,700 yards after work. Was planning on it this morning but at 5:15 when I got up my coach still hadn't posted my workouts for the week so I had to bump it to after work. I'm pretty tired but I just keep telling myself to push through since I only have three weeks until the Vineman half. I know taper will be here before I know it.

I had a kick-butt start to my week.  Monday had a 40 mile bike commute into the city in the morning, 4 mile run in the evening.  Tuesday started with a 6 mile run, 40 mile commute home in the evening.  Wednesday has an 18 mile run in the morning, and a swim in the evening.  All that is on the heels of 24 miles of running and 120 miles of riding this weekend.  So far everything feels good!
2010-06-29 9:21 PM

Master
Redlands, CA
2 mile run this morning. 

What are peoples opinions on the early morning empty stomach workout? 

I'm planning on slowly building up my run volume by doing lots of frequency but low volume, 2 miles a day, 6 days a week.  Then I'll push it to 3, and after that I'll have to break it apart some.

2010-06-29 9:29 PM
in reply to: #2952106

Pro
Canandaigua NY

furiousferret - 2010-06-29 10:21 PM 2 mile run this morning. 

What are peoples opinions on the early morning empty stomach workout? 

I'm planning on slowly building up my run volume by doing lots of frequency but low volume, 2 miles a day, 6 days a week.  Then I'll push it to 3, and after that I'll have to break it apart some.

Less than an hour and I just sip some water and coffee, more than an hour I may take a gel.  Weekend longer workouts and I get up in time to have a bowl of oatmeal or bagel.   Everyone is a little different though so experiment a little and see what gives you the best results.

2010-06-29 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2951989

Pro
Canandaigua NY

JoshKaptur - 2010-06-29 9:28 PM
calimavs - 2010-06-29 5:19 PM

I had a kick-butt start to my week.  Monday had a 40 mile bike commute into the city in the morning, 4 mile run in the evening.  Tuesday started with a 6 mile run, 40 mile commute home in the evening.  Wednesday has an 18 mile run in the morning, and a swim in the evening.  All that is on the heels of 24 miles of running and 120 miles of riding this weekend.  So far everything feels good!

Wow, huge volume!! Good for you!!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121