BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 100

2013-03-01 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4641723

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (5th season) - Closed

dangremond - 2013-03-01 7:59 AM What's the group's feeling on a March Challenge.  I'm indifferent.  Think it might be time to mix things up in some way or just get into more training questions, challenges and feedback.  Thoughts?

Congratulations to the winners of February Challenge - Mitch, Trevor and Randy!

As far as the next challenge, I vote for a break. Looks like it will never stop raining here so at least I will have something to read instead of just looking at countless numbers, since I can't go out and run or ride, but that's just me. Wink 

Few points that helped me with the balance thing:

- practically all run/ride workouts are done early in the morning, they get up when I come home;

- swims are done on the way home from work;

- workout clothes are in the garage, no need to look for socks at night in the bedroom;

- not being too serious about the whole thing (missed workout - no big deal, no PB - also no big deal);

- I bought some flowers for my daughter yesterday for no reason - I can do no wrong now;

- I actually don't involve them at all on daily basis, even avoid talking about it, they just accepted that this is what I do.

It's Saturday morning, 5am and it's POURING again, looks like the long run will be cancelled. I'm not happy (even though it's not a big deal...). Cry

Edited by markz 2013-03-01 2:06 PM

2013-03-01 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4543349

User image

Master
Dallas
I vote for a break too. Let's focus on Q&A this month...
2013-03-01 7:08 PM

User image

Master
Looks like I'm sicker than I thought. Left work early, running a fever and have zippo energy. Thinking of bagging entire weekend and getting tons of rest. I assume the aerobic base I've been building can handle a few days off without too much fitness loss? Thoughts?
2013-03-01 7:25 PM
in reply to: #4642874

User image

Expert
Guatemala

dangremond - 2013-03-01 6:08 PM Looks like I'm sicker than I thought. Left work early, running a fever and have zippo energy. Thinking of bagging entire weekend and getting tons of rest. I assume the aerobic base I've been building can handle a few days off without too much fitness loss? Thoughts?

Definitely listen to your body and take the weekend off.  With the amount of training that you have put in during the last couple of months, nothing will happen to your fitness at this point in time.  Get better!

2013-03-01 8:02 PM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly

Just got my annual bonus - first splurge is the Hoka Bondi S (http://www.hokaoneone.com/en/d/bondi-s-unisex_136.html). Will report back with a full review.

Commenting on the nutritionist, I used one to help me keep on weight. Having colitis means that there is a malabsorption of nutrients in the gut and it is not easy for me to keep on weight during max training.  I'm 5'9" and usually weigh 155-158 lbs.  During training, I can go sub 150 if I am not careful.  Found the nutritionist to be helpful with adding good fats into the diet.   I now eat a ton of nuts, avocados, fatty fish, etc. and found that they really help with keeping on good weight.  I also have added lots of whole grains and legumes and follow Dr. Maffetone's advice.  The nutritionist definitely helped me better understand what I needed to fuel the engine day in and day out.  Race strategies, like carbo loading are hit and miss and require trial and error.

2013-03-01 9:09 PM
in reply to: #4642915

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Hello All. Back for March.

I've been getting over a really bad case of stomach flu. Also, not been training much and been gaining weight. I am quite literally 12.6 pounds over my weight from my marathon in early October.

But that all ends today. Ran 6 miles yesterday and today. 6 weeks to go to Boston. I'm not planning on running Boston fast, but I need to get at least in tolerable shape. Tri training will follow.

2013-03-01 10:03 PM
in reply to: #4642976

User image

Master
Dallas
chris2533 - 2013-03-01 9:09 PMHello All. Back for March. I've been getting over a really bad case of stomach flu. Also, not been training much and been gaining weight. I am quite literally 12.6 pounds over my weight from my marathon in early October. But that all ends today. Ran 6 miles yesterday and today. 6 weeks to go to Boston. I'm not planning on running Boston fast, but I need to get at least in tolerable shape. Tri training will follow.
Welcome back my friend! I always thought that if I ever qualify for Bawston Ill go very easy and soak it in, same thing with Kona. It is more like a celebration, don't you think?
2013-03-01 10:05 PM
in reply to: #4642885

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2013-03-01 7:25 PM

dangremond - 2013-03-01 6:08 PM Looks like I'm sicker than I thought. Left work early, running a fever and have zippo energy. Thinking of bagging entire weekend and getting tons of rest. I assume the aerobic base I've been building can handle a few days off without too much fitness loss? Thoughts?

Definitely listen to your body and take the weekend off.  With the amount of training that you have put in during the last couple of months, nothing will happen to your fitness at this point in time.  Get better!

X2 on that, nothing will be lost, just recover and get better. It would be a good month for some longer stuff when you're healed too...
2013-03-01 10:36 PM
in reply to: #4642874

User image

Regular

dangremond - 2013-03-01 5:08 PM Looks like I'm sicker than I thought. Left work early, running a fever and have zippo energy. Thinking of bagging entire weekend and getting tons of rest. I assume the aerobic base I've been building can handle a few days off without too much fitness loss? Thoughts?

dude you will be totally fine. Get the rest or else you might get to the point that you can't do workouts for a week. 

2013-03-01 10:37 PM
in reply to: #4642915

User image

Regular
JoePetto - 2013-03-01 6:02 PM

Just got my annual bonus - first splurge is the Hoka Bondi S (http://www.hokaoneone.com/en/d/bondi-s-unisex_136.html). Will report back with a full review.

Commenting on the nutritionist, I used one to help me keep on weight. Having colitis means that there is a malabsorption of nutrients in the gut and it is not easy for me to keep on weight during max training.  I'm 5'9" and usually weigh 155-158 lbs.  During training, I can go sub 150 if I am not careful.  Found the nutritionist to be helpful with adding good fats into the diet.   I now eat a ton of nuts, avocados, fatty fish, etc. and found that they really help with keeping on good weight.  I also have added lots of whole grains and legumes and follow Dr. Maffetone's advice.  The nutritionist definitely helped me better understand what I needed to fuel the engine day in and day out.  Race strategies, like carbo loading are hit and miss and require trial and error.

Colitis sucks man. I feel for you as I have a friend who has it from time to time. 

Umm now what is an annual bonus and where do I sign up for one of those?

2013-03-01 10:41 PM

User image

Regular

so wondering what I should do for IMCDA as far as water bottles etc.

Right now have an aero bottle typhon or profile design up front. I don't care for typhon as much because it doesn't hold as much water and for some reason just isn't as good as the profile design imo. My bike on has seat tube mounts for a cage which I have.  I have small bento box that is big enough to hold powerbars, gels, couple goos. I have a bag that goes behind the seat for tube, co2, tools, etc.

I think that would be fine for IMCDA as I am sure I could get plenty of fluids on course and have my nutrition on my bike. But what about my training rides? I don't like coming back to my house for my long rides and for some reason it never fails but my long rides have me riding somewhere and meeting my family there.  

So suggestions? Camelbak? X-lab wing? Even some suggestions for the race itself as far as what to have on the bike for gear.

2013-03-02 1:52 AM
in reply to: #4643036

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
spie34 - 2013-03-01 10:41 PM

But what about my training rides? I don't like coming back to my house for my long rides and for some reason it never fails but my long rides have me riding somewhere and meeting my family there.  

So suggestions? Camelbak? X-lab wing? Even some suggestions for the race itself as far as what to have on the bike for gear.

Unless you live in an extremely remote place, it seems that if you go for a 100 mile loop ride, you will come across a town or at least a  service station somewhere along the way. Easy to get water or some sports drinks there.  Few bars or even a couple of bananas you can carry in your jersey rear pocket. I'm actually curious where you live.

2013-03-02 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4642336

User image

Regular

Few points that helped me with the balance thing:

- practically all run/ride workouts are done early in the morning, they get up when I come home;

- swims are done on the way home from work;

- workout clothes are in the garage, no need to look for socks at night in the bedroom;

- not being too serious about the whole thing (missed workout - no big deal, no PB - also no big deal);

- I bought some flowers for my daughter yesterday for no reason - I can do no wrong now;

- I actually don't involve them at all on daily basis, even avoid talking about it, they just accepted that this is what I do.

It's Saturday morning, 5am and it's POURING again, looks like the long run will be cancelled. I'm not happy (even though it's not a big deal...). Cry

The balance thing is very important. I follow some of the stuff you do.

Bike/Run workouts done in AM

I swim at lunch.

I get my workout clothes ready the night before and put them in the bathroom so I don't have to search for them in the bedroom. I also pack my bag the night before to save time the next morning. 

Missed a few workouts here and there. Nothing I can do about them as life happens.

My wife does like to know what my workouts are but then asks 2 other times and I just tell her again.

Now the flowers thing. My daughter is too young for flowers and my wife doesn't care for them. Guess I need to come up with something else.

2013-03-02 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4643135

User image

Regular
markz - 2013-03-01 11:52 PM 

Unless you live in an extremely remote place, it seems that if you go for a 100 mile loop ride, you will come across a town or at least a  service station somewhere along the way. Easy to get water or some sports drinks there.  Few bars or even a couple of bananas you can carry in your jersey rear pocket. I'm actually curious where you live.

That is true I would come across one and guess I never thought very much about stopping there. I tend to have all my stuff on the bike and ride the whole time. At least thats what I did this last year in my HIM training.

I live in Spokane, WA and my long rides always seem to take me south of Spokane out into the rolling Palouse hills. Not a lot of places open on the weekends in some of those little towns. But the scenery is great, the traffic is super light and the rolling hills give me some really good workouts.

I'll just have to do some better planning mapping out my rides so I do come across a town. I could try to get my family to meet somewhere along the way and give me more water etc but we have usually planned it out that they get there just about the same time I do.  Mainly it is the liquid I need more than the food as I do have enough places to stash food at this time.

2013-03-02 11:18 AM

User image

Veteran
clayton

ok just back from the running store and need some advice - 14mm drop or 4mm?

I have been running off the couch for last two years, using ~14mm drop both years. first year was stability second year neutral. The saleperson said I do not roll in/out so no need for stability. Only other comment was I am a heel striker, although analysis of the sole indicates minimal - I 'feel' like I am a mid sole person.

I tried both on and loved both - the 'feel' on the 4mm was awesome! but I am cautious that the minimal cushion will not suit my heel strike and lead to injury.

I plan to run sprint and olympic with maybe a half in october.

Any comments/advice?

thanks, Mark.

2013-03-02 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4643377

User image

Veteran
Wollongong
markhodges1973 - 2013-03-03 4:18 AM

ok just back from the running store and need some advice - 14mm drop or 4mm?

I have been running off the couch for last two years, using ~14mm drop both years. first year was stability second year neutral. The saleperson said I do not roll in/out so no need for stability. Only other comment was I am a heel striker, although analysis of the sole indicates minimal - I 'feel' like I am a mid sole person.

I tried both on and loved both - the 'feel' on the 4mm was awesome! but I am cautious that the minimal cushion will not suit my heel strike and lead to injury.

I plan to run sprint and olympic with maybe a half in october.

Any comments/advice?

thanks, Mark.

Mark, I've been running about the same time as you and am "just" a heel striker in my mind. I currently have three sets of shoes in my rotation (a consequence of a visit to Hawaii - running shoes are so cheap in the USA compared to Australia)

Brooks Pure Flow - 4mm heel drop

Saucony Ride 5 - 8mm heel drop

Brooks Glycerine 9 - 14mm heel drop

Do I notice the difference? I probably should, but not really. I notice the weight difference more. The Pure Flows are my go to shoe for races. I love to run in them. I've done a Marathon and HIM in them. They still have plenty of cushioning - just a lower heel drop. This may vary with other shoes of 4mm

Greg

2013-03-02 2:37 PM
in reply to: #4642336

User image

Veteran
Wollongong
markz - 2013-03-02 6:14 AM

Mark, I know how you feel. Been really wet down here as well. Everything inside an out seems damp.

Caused me to get the trainer out yesterday. Did 60mins with Sufferfest Angels.

What other videos do you guys use/recommend while draining away?

2013-03-02 3:30 PM

User image

Master

Gang:

Check out the following Google docs spreadsheet. Nothing fancy, just to the point.  No challenge this month but feel free to log workouts.  This will be the preferred method to track monthly workouts of 30 minutes or more.

Ernesto's Challenge Spreadsheet

-Mitch

2013-03-02 4:14 PM
in reply to: #4643576

User image

Maple Grove, MN
dangremond - 2013-03-02 3:30 PM

Gang:

Check out the following Google docs spreadsheet. Nothing fancy, just to the point.  No challenge this month but feel free to log workouts.  This will be the preferred method to track monthly workouts of 30 minutes or more.

-Mitch

Works perfectly for me Mitch. And I'm in the lead! Good work. Thanks.

Oh, Whoops. I didn't see you at the top. That was off screen. Darn.

Edited by chris2533 2013-03-02 4:15 PM
2013-03-02 5:20 PM

User image

Regular
dangremond - 2013-03-02 1:30 PM

Gang:

-Mitch

Thanks for doing this. Nice to have a place to tally up the results and see that total number of hours of workouts. 

2013-03-02 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4643322

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

On the subject of nutrition/hydration on the bike, here is my setup on the road bike (note the HUGE 'bento' box, looks ridiculous, but it works and 3 bottles):

Edited by markz 2013-03-02 6:03 PM

2013-03-02 8:06 PM
in reply to: #4643705

User image

Veteran
Wollongong

Mitch

spreadsheet works for me. Thanks.

This is a great way to record our effort, still drive the consistency and have the forum free for comments/questions.

2013-03-02 8:09 PM
in reply to: #4643705

User image

Veteran
Wollongong

Mark

either it's an old photo or the sun is finally out for you. Great bento box. That should be large enough for your makeup for those Ironman photos at the end

I got a great ride in today and only slightly wet.

2013-03-02 9:01 PM

User image

Veteran
clayton
dangremond - 2013-03-02 4:30 PM

Gang:

-Mitch

Mitch - thank you soooo much! 

2013-03-02 9:05 PM
in reply to: #4643784

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Gla56 - 2013-03-02 8:09 PM

Mark

either it's an old photo or the sun is finally out for you. Great bento box. That should be large enough for your makeup for those Ironman photos at the end

I got a great ride in today and only slightly wet.

...it's an old photo Greg.And yes, make up is essential as you will look like death warmed over after that IM.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 100