Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 125

2024-01-26 8:31 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Big day, but not as big as planned. 3000c swim this morning. Then I went for my long run of the week (10.6miles), but for some reason I decided I didn’t need to take anything besides water with me. I don’t know what I was thinking. I made it 7miles before I realized I wasn’t going to make it. Fortunately I was close to home, so I bagged it and immediately downed some honey. Felt immediately better, but figured I’d better not try to finish, given I had a bike session scheduled. Spent the afternoon hydrating and refueling. Did my hour foundation Z2 ride after dinner; one of my very rare evening sessions.

Tomorrow, I’ll do the rest of my long run to atone. :D

2024-01-27 5:52 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Nice work, Gretchen.  I wouldn't even worry about the three miles (but I know you will, so why did I bother even typing that? ).

Got in a decent workout yesterday with 35 minutes on the bike with some hard intervals then a really good strength and PT session.  Still hacking a little bit but that'll take a while to go away.  Headed to Bikram this morning to sweat the rest out. 

I laid out my training plan for the next six weeks and it's going to be challenging with all the intensity on the bike and the maximum strength phase of my strength work.  Gotta fuel and sleep well I guess. 

Have a great weekend everyone...go Ravens!! (sorry, Gretchen ...though I do have mad respect for Chiefs, unlike the almost 20 years I had borderline psychotic-level hatred of Brady and the Patriots). 

2024-01-27 7:29 AM
in reply to: #5287800

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
There is no such thing as a psychotic level of hate for Brady and the Pats (and Bellichek). They deserve it all!!
2024-01-27 11:45 AM
in reply to: #5287802

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Trying not to beat myself up over ONLY getting in a 14:40 training week…in January…for a race in August.

Y’all…I’m tired. I did my planned 40’ foundation run, but not the extra 3.47miles left over from yesterday’s debacle of a run. I thought about it, but then it started raining while I was out and it is 38F. I am not interested in hypothermia. About an hour later, I started my long ride (scheduled 2:15). I know it was early without much rest, but my wife wants to binge watch some of the Oscar nominated movies today and “doing so while [you] are riding is not exactly an optimal viewing experience.” Anyway…it was ugly…supposed to have 10 1’ intervals in Z5. Made it through 5 before my legs, and maybe my soul, gave out on me. I’m tired, over worked and under fueled. Fortunately, next week is a rest week on the marathon plan. Only scheduled 16 hours. :D.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
2024-01-27 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove  but my wife wants to binge watch some of the Oscar nominated movies today and “doing so while [you] are riding is not exactly an optimal viewing experience.”

That's hilarious, and she's right. 

I think 14:40 for the week will do.

So Bikram today...I started doing Bikram like 12 years ago as a way of working out with The Wife and doing some rehab for my back.  We found a great studio where we lived where it was consistently hot, which helped me get warmed up I could really get at the workout.  Well we moved, then that old studio closed down, and we found a new one where the building just sucked at holding heat and the heating system was lousy as well.  Fast forward to this past fall and they had a small fire, which necessitated a complete re-do of the place and I got to the new hot room for the first time today and DAMN!!!  I felt like I was being microwaved.  I hit biking zone 3 on my HR during yoga.

Short run tomorrow to end vacation/sick/transition period then off we go to destroy myself on the bike next week.

2024-01-28 9:24 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog @Mike, Glad you're back to feeling 100% Good timing with the bike build about to start. Did you have any luck finding a 5k fitness test/race? 

Still hacking a little and I don't want to redline yet...even my first week on the bike build isn't brutal, just more getting used to harder intervals.  There's a fun one (The Cupid Chase) in downtown Baltimore in a couple of weeks I might talk my daughter into doing with me, but it'll be weather-dependent because I'm a big baby.

2024-01-29 3:40 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by bulfrog @Mike, Glad you're back to feeling 100% Good timing with the bike build about to start. Did you have any luck finding a 5k fitness test/race? 

Still hacking a little and I don't want to redline yet...even my first week on the bike build isn't brutal, just more getting used to harder intervals.  There's a fun one (The Cupid Chase) in downtown Baltimore in a couple of weeks I might talk my daughter into doing with me, but it'll be weather-dependent because I'm a big baby.

Yes, do take it easy, you're not 52 anymore!

Gretchen, what can I say, nothing you will pay attention to, you're not "the machine" for nothing but even machines break down if they don't get to rest every now and then.

Myself, following my good advice of taking it easy after being sick, I clocked 4 hours last week, all lowish intensity, culminating with the slowest 12k in history yesterday (on my own, my running partner is sick).

Will get that heart rate going this week.

Still struggling to find time (& motivation) for strength training. I have the power thingie class every other Monday but I need more.

So today, my Garmin is set on "strength training" and I will try to squeeze in 5 minutes several times during the day and 20 tonight after work.

wish me luck

2024-01-29 8:49 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Yes, do take it easy, you're not 52 anymore!

Gretchen, what can I say, nothing you will pay attention to, you're not "the machine" for nothing but even machines break down if they don't get to rest every now and then.

Myself, following my good advice of taking it easy after being sick, I clocked 4 hours last week, all lowish intensity, culminating with the slowest 12k in history yesterday (on my own, my running partner is sick).

Will get that heart rate going this week.

Still struggling to find time (& motivation) for strength training. I have the power thingie class every other Monday but I need more.

So today, my Garmin is set on "strength training" and I will try to squeeze in 5 minutes several times during the day and 20 tonight after work.

wish me luck

Hey! I listen!! (when you say things I want to hear!)

2024-01-29 8:57 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Yesterday was a rest day, which we all know I needed pretty badly. I did nothing of consequence. I mostly sat in my chair all day--did do the weekly shop and meal plan, and a bit of cooking, but nothing major. I did some cross-stitch and watched some football (ahem...go Chiefs!). Not to rile Mike and Nicole up, but the Ravens deserved to lose that game--their play was okay, although they shot themselves in the foot on more than one occasion, but their conduct was just downright unsportsmanlike. Flowers taunting, Flowers cutting his hand because he was hitting the bench after his fumble, Jackson throwing his helmet down, and whatever that was in the 4th Q with the guy running offside and barreling over the O-lineman (can't remember who that was)--just unprofessional, poor behavior. Not the kind of thing I want to see rewarded with trips to the Super Bowl (or wins, for that matter).

I do wish the Lions could have made it to the show too, but I think they went home at the half. I have no idea who showed up to play the second half in the Lions uniforms, but it didn't seem to be the same set of dudes who played the first half. To be fair, the Niners stepped up their game in the second half, but that was a railroad job.

Up this morning for a quick 2100yd swim and then a strength session. Later this afternoon, there is a rumor we might see this anomaly of yellow light glowing in the sky. It is hard to remember that far back, but I think when I was a kid they called it the sun, or something similar. I haven't seen it in a while, so I'll do my scheduled 40' run while it is out.
2024-01-29 2:52 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hey! I listen!! (when you say things I want to hear!)

I'll be honest Gretchen, your race is August, and you're already struggling this much with your training plan? I'm a bit concerned. Of course at some points in a training plan it's a struggle, if it's all easy we don't improve, I get that. But this early in the piece you should be handling things easily.

Hopefully you're just having a tough week and after your rest day you'll be bouncing off the ceiling with energy again, but if it continues like this you might have to look at trimming the franken plan.

One thing to remind you though, if you miss, or shorten a workout, you shouldn't try to make it up. Most coaches/books/plans would tell you that. You can reschedule things so you miss a filler workout and keep key intervals, but don't try and make up everything. You don't want to dig yourself a hole.

Hoping that next week is better
2024-01-29 3:13 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by Rollergirl My Lakers have regained their spot at the top of the table (first time since the end of last regular season) and I expect (hope) they will stay there until the playoffs.

It must be fun rooting for a good hockey team.  My childhood team is the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers and they've been irrelevant for like 15 years.  They're showing some signs of life this year but I'm not sold yet. 

Go Lakers!!!

It's a lot of fun. They've won the play offs 4 times since 2015. I don't know what I would do if they start losing (when... nothing lasts forever). Would/will I stay interested very long?

We'll see

My Warriors entered the competition in 1995. We have never won the competition, only made the playoffs 9 times in that almost 30 years. Yet, every year I try to watch every game. When it's your team, it's your team, in good times and bad.

This year is our year though. (he said hopefully)

2024-01-29 3:22 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Finished my week much better than I started it. Interval run Friday, Tempo run Saturday and long run, and a short zwift because my bike was feeling neglected Sunday.

All up 5 hours for the week. 4:20 running and riding on zwift. Not a great week, but happy with what I ended up doing after a couple days sick.

This week is a rest week for my training plan. But after a small week it'll actually be a bit of a step up again.

Hoping for a good week of running.
2024-01-30 10:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Rude awakening on the bike this morning (well, it was 5:45 AM, so maybe that had something to do with it).  The Plan was for "easing" into VO2 max intervals, if that's such a thing, but I was surprised how difficult the intervals were or at least my inability to push through them.  I'm going to guess I'm still not 100% back from my sinus thingy and my FTP is overestimated after basically 4 months of not training hard on the bike.  The run and strength sessions afterwards went much better.

Double tomorrow with a 6 AM endurance swim and a lunch bike with some tempo intervals, which shouldn't be too bad. 

@Andrew:  nice finish to the week

@Nathalie:  smart return post sickness, and I seriously doubt your 12k was slower than some of the stuff I've put up in the past couple of years

@Gretchen:  those living in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones, see:  Travis Kelce with non-stop taunting and a whole bunch of pre-game nonsense, and that's not the first time in his career he's done that; and you're right on one thing, no one is beating Mahomes playing stupid like the Ravens did, and that will be the last comment I have on that debacle of a coaching performance

@Gretchen (again):  Buried in the talk about Andrew's wife is that I totally forgot you had bariatric surgery; that must be so difficult to manage nutrition but you seem to have it dialed in - that's some great discipline

Edited by jmhpsu93 2024-01-30 10:20 AM
2024-01-30 10:38 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Rude awakening on the bike this morning (well, it was 5:45 AM, so maybe that had something to do with it).  The Plan was for "easing" into VO2 max intervals, if that's such a thing, but I was surprised how difficult the intervals were or at least my inability to push through them.  I'm going to guess I'm still not 100% back from my sinus thingy and my FTP is overestimated after basically 4 months of not training hard on the bike.  The run and strength sessions afterwards went much better.

Double tomorrow with a 6 AM endurance swim and a lunch bike with some tempo intervals, which shouldn't be too bad. 

@Andrew:  nice finish to the week

@Nathalie:  smart return post sickness, and I seriously doubt your 12k was slower than some of the stuff I've put up in the past couple of years

@Gretchen:  those living in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones, see:  Travis Kelce with non-stop taunting and a whole bunch of pre-game nonsense, and that's not the first time in his career he's done that; and you're right on one thing, no one is beating Mahomes playing stupid like the Ravens did, and that will be the last comment I have on that debacle of a coaching performance

@Gretchen (again):  Buried in the talk about Andrew's wife is that I totally forgot you had bariatric surgery; that must be so difficult to manage nutrition but you seem to have it dialed in - that's some great discipline

Using last season's FTP? Sounds like a solid plan!! And I'm not just saying that because I am too and am pretty sure it is a bit of an overestimation after four months of not getting on the bike. Not at all, that wouldn't be my motivation at all. I'm entirely here to support you in that somewhat questionable decision. :D

I didn't see the pre-game stuff from Kielce (which I completely wouldn't condone!). We didn't tune in until right before the game. I'm not a fan of the talking heads, so we tend to skip pre-game. I'm a big proponent of fair, and sportsman like play at all levels. I can't stand poor sports, and I fully recognize that the same things could have been going on on the Chiefs sidelines, but just not shown on the telecast (I was watching--don't know, do we get different ones in different parts of the country?). Coaching debacle...perhaps an understatement too.

It isn't that you didn't remember I had bariatric surgery. I never said--I don't tell many people. Managing nutrition is HARD. I (somewhat) jokingly call it my medically supervised eating disorder, because now I think about food much more often than I used to when I was fat. I'm constantly thinking about macros and how many calories I need to fuel training and when I should eat those calories. It has done my head in a bit to essentially flip the switch from "try not to eat too many calories" to "you have to eat more calories" but I'm learning...slowly, and often the hard way, but I am learning what works and what doesn't.
2024-01-30 10:44 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I sandwiched my Arabic session with workouts this morning. 2150yds at Masters practice at 6, then home for a quick breakfast before Arabic lesson, and then as soon as that was over I went out for an easy 35' foundation run. Not to work for the rest of the day, and then do a 90' bike this evening. I hate evening workouts, but since my wife seems to think getting up at 3am to do my ride before I run to the pool is ridiculous, I have to change things up a bit from what I was doing last year. I simply do not see her point, but sometimes we have to make sacrifices to keep household harmony.

Andrew--I appreciate your concern. You're right, these weeks should seem easy, and for the most part, they do. Last week was a particularly tough week at work with a lot of LONG days and I was generally just tired...then add in some poor nutritional choices (i.e., long run with no fuel) and I was sunk by the end of the week. Generally speaking, I feel quite good after each day's training and am happy with the Frankenplan. I am keeping an eye on my mood though. The first sign of over training for me is extreme moodiness (i.e., I turn into quite a grump...but only to those close to me. I'm totally normal to everyone else--weird).
2024-01-30 1:34 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Andrew--I appreciate your concern. You're right, these weeks should seem easy, and for the most part, they do. Last week was a particularly tough week at work with a lot of LONG days and I was generally just tired...then add in some poor nutritional choices (i.e., long run with no fuel) and I was sunk by the end of the week. Generally speaking, I feel quite good after each day's training and am happy with the Frankenplan. I am keeping an eye on my mood though. The first sign of over training for me is extreme moodiness (i.e., I turn into quite a grump...but only to those close to me. I'm totally normal to everyone else--weird).

That is good to hear. Hopefully you're right and it was just a combination of life getting in the way and some poor fueling. Looking forward to reading how this week is a stunning success... for a 16 hour plus 'rest week'

2024-01-30 1:42 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

It isn't that you didn't remember I had bariatric surgery. I never said--I don't tell many people. Managing nutrition is HARD. I (somewhat) jokingly call it my medically supervised eating disorder, because now I think about food much more often than I used to when I was fat. I'm constantly thinking about macros and how many calories I need to fuel training and when I should eat those calories. It has done my head in a bit to essentially flip the switch from "try not to eat too many calories" to "you have to eat more calories" but I'm learning...slowly, and often the hard way, but I am learning what works and what doesn't.

Gretchen is probably getting sick of us talking about it, but you're right Mike, it is absolutely another layer of complication for Gretchen to deal with that the rest of us have no idea about, and only makes her success in long distance tris more impressive.

We're only 2 1/2 weeks post surgery. So very early days, and months away from being back in 'normal life' and having to deal with that. But from what I've learnt so far, there is a huge amount of planning and discipline needed if you're going to be successful and healthy. Which as Mike says Gretchen seems to have totally dialed in. And that's just to live a normal life. Fueling long distance tris, and training whilst managing everything correctly is super impressive.
2024-01-30 1:58 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
45 minute 'progression run' on the treadmill last night, a bit of Z2 running then working up to 5km pace over 20 minutes. According to the treadmill speed I was at the right paces, according to Mr Garmin, not so much.

This morning actually made it out of bed at 5:20am and had an easy 45min Z2 run with the dog. It's been a while since I've done a mid week morning run and it was good to get back out there. Hopefully many more to follow. I'll do a zwift ride tonight, something with some intensity.

@Mike. Yes, I saw on strava, that last interval looked a little wobbly. Maybe drop 10W off your FTP for now? I'm a bit concerned about suffering the same fate. As you know, I did an FTP test, it went up, and since then have had a very light bike month as I adapt to higher running mileage. Not sure what's going to happen when I get back on the bike properly. Hope the Tempo ride goes better.

@Gretchen. So just a nice light recovery day? 2k swim, 35min run, hour and a half on the bike... easy. I would vote with your wife that splitting the workouts is a good idea. Not for any family reasons, personally I'd say that getting up at 3am and getting everything done is the less intrusive schedule for family stuff. I'd split so that you get some recovery between workouts. You don't want to start the 2nd workout of the day on tired legs every time. Splitting it should let you get a better ride than if it was all back to back.
2024-01-31 10:04 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

@Gretchen. So just a nice light recovery day? 2k swim, 35min run, hour and a half on the bike... easy. I would vote with your wife that splitting the workouts is a good idea. Not for any family reasons, personally I'd say that getting up at 3am and getting everything done is the less intrusive schedule for family stuff. I'd split so that you get some recovery between workouts. You don't want to start the 2nd workout of the day on tired legs every time. Splitting it should let you get a better ride than if it was all back to back.

Exactly! A nice, easy day!! :D. Was tired at the end of the day, but good tired.
I really just hate training after dinner, but that's what I think my new normal is going to be--too many triples to fit them all in and still do the little things...like, my job.
2024-01-31 10:07 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
A fun one so far today! I got up at 4 and did a 40' interval run before going to the pool at 6, where we did an entire workout of 25s--some sprints, some easy, some build, some entirely underwater (or...that's what the coach asked for, but I ain't doin' that). So, I guess this morning has been a sprint focused day. Later this evening (bleh) I have a 60' Z2 foundation ride on the schedule. It is a long day at work, so it is a night ride out of necessity. We are hiring two new faculty members and the process is absolutely insane. They come in for multi-day interviews that just disrupts the entire department and then they give a talk that we're supposed to go to and then we have to have faculty meetings to discuss who we are going to hire (and hope the school director actually listens to us!). Seven candidates during the first three weeks of classes is killer for all productivity.
2024-01-31 1:03 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Hope the Tempo ride goes better.
  It did... nailed all of the targets (not that it's that difficult) and HR more or less stayed where it was supposed to.

2024-01-31 1:04 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

I really just hate training after dinner, but that's what I think my new normal is going to be--too many triples to fit them all in and still do the little things...like, my job.

I agree about training just after dinner. A full stomach and vO2 max intervals are not good companions. When I do an evening workout there are 2 options, either dinner with the kids (5/5:30ish) which gives a couple of hours space between eating and workout. Or workout as soon as they go to bed maybe 7/7:30 starting pedaling, with dinner after. But that means eating around 9, so might be a bit late.

I'm sure over the next few months of the franken plan you'll find a schedule that works.
2024-01-31 1:05 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Originally posted by bulfrog Hope the Tempo ride goes better.
  It did... nailed all of the targets (not that it's that difficult) and HR more or less stayed where it was supposed to.

Nice job. Winning
2024-01-31 1:09 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen...work - doesn't it suck when that gets in the way?  Sounds like your process is nuts, but at least you have a say or in theory you do.

Double for me today with a 2K yards, 3kc swim focusing on stroke length and getting a solid pull in Z2 while holding a decent body position.  So many things to think about!  I unfortunately let my mind wander and effort just takes over so I'm really working on focusing on stroke mechanics to get me through intervals rather than sheer will.  Felt great in the water, especially without touching it for three weeks.  Then did an hour on the bike at lunch, which is hilariously my longest ride since the middle of November.  I think I need some bike endurance. 

2024-01-31 1:13 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
60 minute Anaerobic interval zwift ride Wednesday night to finish the month. Not easy, but I survived. Like Mike, I have a feeling my new FTP may be a bit high. I guess I'll find out next time I try to do a longer ride.

For the month.

Swim, 0. switching to a run focus for the first half of the year, the swim is the first thing to go. Need to get to the pool in Feb though.
Bike, x9, 8hr, all zwift
Run, x28, 141km in 18hr 34min, Didn't quite get the run every day, but got close and my biggest running month in many years, maybe ever.

Over al 26 hours and 34 minutes for of SBR for the month. Happy with the start to 2024.

How did everyone else manage?
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 125

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland