General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2011-06-30 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3573966

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread

2011-06-30 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3574465

User image

Regular

Thank you for the SN info and advice.

Where is all the banter / chat?  We only need 8-9hrs sleep rather than 24hrs. 

Edited by blackchr05 2011-06-30 8:55 AM
2011-06-30 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3574476

User image

blackchr05 - 2011-06-30 9:52 AM

Thank you for the SN info and advice.

Where is all the banter / chat?  We only need 8-9hrs sleep rather than 24hrs. 

I suspect we'll see a surge in banter/ chat tomorrow when everyone flips over their calendar and they see that little green box precariously sitting there.    Tomorrow will commence a series of freakouts. 
2011-06-30 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3573966

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-06-30 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3098185

There are also LOTS of lurkers.  People who type stuff like this: 
I'm mostly just posting so that I get the updates in my email inbox as message boards are taboo at work, but I can read the threads in the emails.  I am doing IMLP next summer.  My first IM in my 5th year of tris.  Can't wait.

They read all these posts but contribute nothing.  They're too cool to post I guess.  Sad.
2011-06-30 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3574534

2011-06-30 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3574569

Regular
i just post a bunch of BS 1/2 the time...   "banter"
2011-06-30 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3574569

Veteran
Havertown, PA
Fred Doucette - 2011-06-30 10:20 AM

Dream Chaser - 2011-06-30 10:12 AM There are also LOTS of lurkers.  People who type stuff like this: 
I'm mostly just posting so that I get the updates in my email inbox as message boards are taboo at work, but I can read the threads in the emails.  I am doing IMLP next summer.  My first IM in my 5th year of tris.  Can't wait.

They read all these posts but contribute nothing.  They're too cool to post I guess.  Sad.

Lots of people watch this thread and others without feeling comfortable posting.

No worries, just remember the stuff you are all saying is benefiting a lot of others, which is a very good thing imho.

Indeed, Fred.  I am currently getting alot of benefit from the post-mortem talk on the CDA thread.  Primarily in the area of "failed" execution.  You guys should check it out if you haven't.  Some good food for thought heading into our race!

2011-06-30 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3574626

blackchr05 - 2011-06-30 10:34 AM i just post a bunch of BS 1/2 the time...   "banter"

Well if we have any chance of matching or beating the CDA thread some more people need to step up the BANTER!!

C'mon you WALLFLOWERS!!! 

How is Everyone Feeling?  I am tired.  Close to exhausted.  I think 1/4 of my nutritional intake right now is Gatorade.  I am just plowing through the stuff.  But like Westchester Triathlete says, and I keep reminding myself:  I'M TRAINING FOR A F*CKING IRONMAN!!!

2011-06-30 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3574769

New user

Dream Chaser - 2011-06-30 11:29 AM
blackchr05 - 2011-06-30 10:34 AM i just post a bunch of BS 1/2 the time...   "banter"

Well if we have any chance of matching or beating the CDA thread some more people need to step up the BANTER!!

C'mon you WALLFLOWERS!!! 

How is Everyone Feeling?  I am tired.  Close to exhausted.  I think 1/4 of my nutritional intake right now is Gatorade.  I am just plowing through the stuff.  But like Westchester Triathlete says, and I keep reminding myself:  I'M TRAINING FOR A F*CKING IRONMAN!!!

HECK YEAH! 

I was feeling fatigued mentally/physically earlier in the week but after a killer long swim last night and a solid run this morning I am getting amped up!  I have a 6 hour bike + 1 hour run on Saturday then a 3 hour run Sunday.  BRING IT!!

2011-06-30 11:24 AM

Veteran
Walworth (Gananda), NY
I've done a couple rockin' technical swims, and a pretty decent speed short brick this week. Watching the CDA coverage last weekend definitely helped me get a little more excitement back. Not in freak out mode right now, but I'm sure like DC said. Once the calendar page flips over...

2011-06-30 11:24 AM

Veteran
Walworth (Gananda), NY
ALRIGHT... NEW PAGE!!!
2011-06-30 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3574703

Veteran
Walworth (Gananda), NY
gergzos - 2011-06-30 11:05 AM

Fred Doucette - 2011-06-30 10:20 AM

Dream Chaser - 2011-06-30 10:12 AM There are also LOTS of lurkers.  People who type stuff like this: 

Lots of people watch this thread and others without feeling comfortable posting.

No worries, just remember the stuff you are all saying is benefiting a lot of others, which is a very good thing imho.

Indeed, Fred.  I am currently getting alot of benefit from the post-mortem talk on the CDA thread.  Primarily in the area of "failed" execution.  You guys should check it out if you haven't.  Some good food for thought heading into our race!

I've heard of quite a few people who didn't follow their nutrition, and definitely paid for it in the end.
2011-06-30 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3574914

2011-06-30 12:32 PM

Regular

"HECK YEAH! 

I was feeling fatigued mentally/physically earlier in the week but after a killer long swim last night and a solid run this morning I am getting amped up!  I have a 6 hour bike + 1 hour run on Saturday then a 3 hour run Sunday.  BRING IT!!"

X2 long ride saturday  , long run sunday, LETS DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2011-06-30 12:41 PM

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis, MO

I'll try to help by chiming in from here on out........I got really distracted this Spring with my coaching business and also having lost a whole month to bronchitis.....but after this week's workouts, I can honestly say that I think I will be just fine for IMLP....!!!!!

Summary:

Sunday - 102 miles on the bike

Monday - long swim before teaching Spinning

Tuesday - weeknight brick with interval segments on the bike

Wednesday - 2.5 hour run for 15.4 miles....nice and steady....

Thursday (today) - it's Track Thursday...time to teach tired muscles to run efficiently

Friday - off

Saturday- short, fast run.....

Sunday - 8 very hilly miles on the run

Monday - 120 miles coming on the bike....

So far I have nailed the workouts that have happened and feel nice and strong (finally recovered!) nd building strenght and confidence with each completed workout!!! Good to feel like I'M BACK!!!!

2011-06-30 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3575088

Regular

Better banter...

How is Everyone Feeling?  I am tired.  Close to exhausted.  I think 1/4 of my nutritional intake right now is Gatorade. 

I am glad i have a Costco near by and a car.  Gatorade, Acai drinks and fruit bought by the bucket load.  I blend the random fruits and make tropical concoctions.  Currently there has been no vodka added but after the race, there will be, to the best tasting one.  I plan to make my millions from the new cocktail called "HTFU".

Edited by blackchr05 2011-06-30 12:55 PM
2011-06-30 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3575115

Jumping in a bit late on the Special needs bandwagon, but here's what I did last year:

Blue bike special foods bag

1. Extra tube
  2. pb sandwich
  3. extra luna beans, bar, etc.
  4. old bike gloves
  5. first aid: bandaid, small body glide, ibuprofen
  6. extra gu
  7. hair ties
  8. Vaseline
  9. sunscreen
  10. extra contact

Red run special foods bag

1. extra socks
  2. long sleeved tee
  3. sunscreen
  4. first aid kit: bandaids, ibuprofen
  5. body glide
  6. gu
  7. notes
  8. special treat
  9. extra contact

Of course, as my (bald) hubby says, cant forget the hair ties Tongue out  Re: the "notes" on the run bag, I had my hubby and parents write me an inspirational note to stick in my bag in case I needed a hit on the run course.  i didn't, but reading them afterwards was the best thing ever!

2011-06-30 12:59 PM

Veteran
Boston

So, halfway through my long bike a couple of days ago, my FSA Aerobar cracks at the seam (stock bars on Cervelo P2).  Thankfully there is a rivet on the bottom holding in the bar, but having a wobbly aerobar that has my shifter on the end makes for a not-so-fun ride...

Since it is under warranty, I bring it back to the shop I got it from and they tell me that they had a "falling out" with Cervelo (which explains the deal I got on the bike last September) but will warranty the bars through FSA.  However, they need to take the bars off, send them back to WA, then wait for the RMA to come back (since they don't stock them).  PLUS, they wanted to charge me for labor for this!  Told me "that's the way it is"...

So here I am just a few weeks out from IMLP, like I needed something else to freak me out

Well, I got the RMA number and took my bike rather than leave it.  One call to FSA, sent them a copy of my receipt, and told them I needed to have them for IMLP.  I just received the new aerobars in hand today, just two days later!  Kind of sad the bike shop did not go out of their way for stuff like this.  Lost my future business.

Kudos to FSA for superb customer service and for giving me one less thing to stress over!  Now to get them back on the bike today for a 60m ride this afternoon!

2011-06-30 12:59 PM

Veteran
Boston

duplicate (sorry...)

Edited by mogulbumm 2011-06-30 1:00 PM
2011-06-30 1:03 PM

New user

I had my freakout about a week ago but I'm finally feeling encouraged!  I'm back to having strong bikes and runs and have started to acclimate to hills again after coming home from school.

Tomorrow I have a HUGE day!  4000 yard swim, 5 hr. bike and a 2 hour and 10 min run!!  Time to get it done!

2011-06-30 1:12 PM

Damn, I just looked at some of the CDA results and the amount of hours logged does not always equal the appropriate race result. 

Okay, I'm going to share what I think is one of the biggest secrets of endurance racing, aside from smart pacing, consistent training and dialed-in nutrition and it is....   DO YOUR Bike and Runs during the hottest part of the day whenever you can.  Many times, due to work schedule and convenience, we often Bike and Run in the morning or evening.  Problem is, on Race Day, we are on the Bike at high noon, and starting our run around 1 & 2:00.  WHEN IT'S HOTTEST OUT.  When you can, get your Long Bike's in during the afternoon, and ESPECIALLY RUN BETWEEN 12 & 3:00 in the afternoon. 

Perfect example, I swam 2 miles this morning at 6 AM and then ran 8 hilly miles.  It was early, cool and shady and my pace was 8:00 exact.  And I felt decent the whole run.  Just two days ago, we swam 2 miles in the same lake at noon, and then ran the same 8 hilly miles.  My friend that ran with me today and was flying from start to finish, he BLEW UP just two days ago on the same course while running in the middle of the day.  He walked.  I had to get in my car and pick him up.  My other buddy who ran with us in the afternoon Tuesday swore he saw God out there it was so hot.  On Tuesday afternoon in the heat and sun it was 9.5/10 brutal.  This morning, those same hills (and I was even more fatigued) felt like a 6/10 effort and I only suffered when climbing.  I suffered half of what I suffered just 48 hours prior, and the time of day was the only difference.

If time is a limiter, RUN during the hottest part of the day as often as possible.  On the bike you have a breeze and it's not as bad.  If it turns out race day is cool, then that'll just be an awesome bonus. 

2011-06-30 1:14 PM

Buffalo, NY
How am I feeling? Like I've raced a ton of ironmans in training! LOL I'm ready for taper to begin. I've got one more race this Saturday before Placid then it's three weeks of biding my time. I'm doing everything and anything I can to stay healthy this month. Lots of hand sanitizer and soap! I said it a week or so ago and I'll say it again, aside from freshening up I feel ready. I'm pumped to do this. It's all about the positivity!
2011-06-30 1:20 PM

Regular
Annapolis, MD
I've gotten 5.5 hours on the trainer over the past three days.  Also some fast walking.  Hopefully doc will clear me to start running tomorrow.  Swimming?  Who knows when.  Incisions still need to heal before that is allowed.  Pic below of new splints, likely to be worn if I can toe the start line.

(IMG_0002.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0002.JPG (40KB - 2 downloads)
2011-06-30 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3575185

Buffalo, NY
I LOVE the heat training advice. I can't get out of work for workouts during the week but every workout I do on the weekend or a day off is in the same time frame I'll be s/r/b at placid. I'd rather know it in training then feel it for the first time on race day. My most fun training experiences have come during hill repeat workouts in the pouring rain too, nothing will teach you to descend better!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 112