General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2010-09-14 1:28 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread

On August 9th of last year, PennState started the official thread by asking the group a few basic questions - I guess we should do the same:

OK Ironman USA people. Who the heck is in for IMLP 2011???

Why don't we start off with a few questions...

1. Is this your first IM?
2. Have you done LP before?
3. What are your goals for the 2010 race?
4.How/Why did you select the Lake Placid Race?
5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about LP (the race, training etc)

1. Although I have been racing pretty consistently for going on 19 years, this will be my first iron distance/Ironman race.

2. I have not even visited Lake Placid - but am already looking forward to the trip. My beautiful bride and I plan to make a longer vacation out of it.

3. Goals: Show up healthy and uninjured on race day and finish within 17 hours. Seriously. For IM #2 I will adjust my goals accordingly.

4. I selected the Lake Placid event in large part due to schedule; I teach and will have the opportunity to be off for about four months prior to the race next year. School will start back up 2 weeks after Lake Placid - I figured I would never get a better schedule alignment than that!

5. Not too many questions at the moment - because AFTER signing up online during the 30 minute window in which registration was open I did a little more research on the race. I just finished reading all 241 pages of last year's epic thread and it seems to be the consensus that I could not have chosen a better one. I am sure that I will have lots of questions as the year progresses...

I do understand that there might be a few hills on the bike and run.

Oh - and I hear the swim may be "fun" as well - I for one and excited, and ready to get on with it. Is it too early?

As PennState asked last year to get the ball rolling - Who's next? :)

2010-09-14 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3098185

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread
 No, this will be my 4th

Yes I did it in the year of rain 2008

3. What are your goals for the 2011 race?

I want to have IM #3 behind me (racing IMFL on 11/6) and train before I set any goals. Obvious one is do better than last time I did LP. I've had a rough year this year with injuries (Lyme's and knee scope)  and hope next year goes better. I think that hardest part of IM is getting to starting line uninjured.

Great venue, love the Keene descent, works well to do bulk of training while kids are in school, family loves LP

5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about LP (the race, training etc)
No

Should be fun year!

Do you think we can rival the IMLP '10 thread?
2010-09-14 2:55 PM

User image

Master
syracuse

2nd IM
Yes, 2010
My goal....hmmmm.....I'll post time expectations as the races get closer, but I would expect to be between 10:15-10:30, depending on conditions of the day and if I get to the line healthy.  Hard to say today with the race so far off.  Plus, I imagine they'll go back to the original course, which is probably a few minutes slower.

I do have a goal (In 2010, I learned to not have a time goal in 2011, it can both hold you back, and cause frustration!  (Even though I nailed my time goal!)  We cannot control a time, if we qualify for the big dance and other external things, so best not to shoot for one....simply understand what your fitness will most likely allow you to obtain.  This year, my goal is my own, and quite simple as well.....I am more then open to discuss my time expectations.....most anyone can figure that out my looking at my log, which is open to anyone!    My goal is simply based on what I can control to achieve.

The venus had me at hello.  Ha!  seriously, it is close to home (3.5 hours) and spectator friendly.  I don't think the course suits my strengths, a flatter bike course would, but I simply love Lake Placid. 

Not as of yet.....but I am sure they will come up!

2010-09-14 3:09 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
1. First Ironman.  Started training in January 2009. 
2. No
3. It's a little to early to be written in stone but I have a couple.
4. I did RI 70.3 and they let you sign up after the race.  Knew a couple people who had done it and now I know about 10 people in my training group all doing it so it should be epic.
5. What tune-up races are you guys doing?  I'm probably doing Rev3 in Quassy and trying to get up to LP a couple times to ride the course if I can.

I'm excited to take on 140.6 and am currently evaluating training plans and coaching options.  I have "Going Long", "Be Iron Fit", read some of the "Endurance Nation" stuff.  Honestly, the more I read, the more I think a coach is the way to go as I begin trying to figure out the best way to approach the next few months.
2010-09-14 3:25 PM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Hello, my name is Jon. After 5 HIM races, I figured it was time to test out the big Kahuna distance finally. Looking forward to this race for awhile now and volunteering this past year was an incredible experience and I instantly fell in love with Lake Placid itself. That swim is the nicest one I have ever done and the bike and run courses are all so beautiful.

Yeppers.
See above.....done 1 loop of each section of the course in training.
Finish STRONG!
4.5 hours from home and close for all of my family to watch. And it has quite the prestige attatched to it. Being able to train on the course multiple times prior to race day is really going to calm my fears.
I'll ask when I think of them! The race is too far away right now...

Next year is going to be 201Ironman!
2010-09-14 6:04 PM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
Yes

Well obviously no, however I live in upstate New York so I'm very familiar with the area. Volunteered at last years race with the possibility of signing up. Knew I had to do the race about 5 seconds after the starting cannon went off.

Honestly I just want to finish. My realistic goal is sub 15 hours. I have some other ideas but seeing as I've yet to even do an HIM (first one is this weekend) I don't want to go too far out on a limb.

Close to home, beautiful scenery. Awesome spectators/volunteers.

5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about LP (the race, training etc)
Tons, but not really organized enough right now to ask any.

2010-09-14 6:22 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by PennState 2010-09-14 6:34 PM
2010-09-14 7:23 PM

Regular
Grand Rapids

No, it will be my 2nd. (Louisville '09)

No, but I volunteered in 2010 and was able to check out the course.

My goal for my first IM was to finish, for this one I would like to break 12 hours.

I eventually want to complete all the IM's in the U.S., but I choose this one for the challenge. I live where it is very flat and training on hills is close to impossible.

Sure.... how do you train for LP's hills when you don't have any around where you live?
2010-09-14 7:24 PM

Pro
Nutmeg State

This is number three.  I finished Louisville in 2008 and Arizona in 2009.

No.  Too scared of the bike course.

I need to see how my training continues to progress.  At the moment its to reach critical training volume and if my body composition and training permit get as close to racing the race as I can.

Proximity.  In addition, I avoided it for my first two 140.6s so I needed to face my fears at some point.
2010-09-14 10:20 PM

Expert
Ann Arbor
YES!
NO!
A finish time of around 12hrs
I plan to see what 8 months of consistent hard work and dedication can do.  I want to see exactly what my body is capable of.  I want to reach mental and physical walls and push through them.  I want to do what others consider crazy.  I want to be an Ironman.
Awesome race venue.  IMLP is legendary.  It is one of the most challenging race venues.
5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about LP
What is everyone else using plan/coach wise?
I'm planning on purchasing an Endurance Nation outseason and inseason plan.
2010-09-15 4:51 AM

Champion
MA
Just curious how many of you train with power?

One of the challenges of Lake Placid is learning to pace properly on the hills.  The stronger cyclist you are the less of an issue it is as your power/weight ratio is better. One of my goals after IMFL is to improve that ratio by losing some weight and increasing my FTP. I spent to much time on the bike close to or over my FTP which hurt my run.

Other thing I will do differently is have different ie easier gearing on my bike than I did last time (compact with 11-28). Perhaps Fred 'PennState' can share the link that talks about what is the right gearing for your bike given your expected bike split. Many folks use the wrong gearing. Compacts are best for most athletes unless you are on the pointy end of the field.

2010-09-15 7:01 AM
in reply to: #3099193

Master
White Plains NY
KathyG - 2010-09-15 5:51 AM Just curious how many of you train with power?

One of the challenges of Lake Placid is learning to pace properly on the hills.  The stronger cyclist you are the less of an issue it is as your power/weight ratio is better. One of my goals after IMFL is to improve that ratio by losing some weight and increasing my FTP. I spent to much time on the bike close to or over my FTP which hurt my run.

Other thing I will do differently is have different ie easier gearing on my bike than I did last time (compact with 11-28). Perhaps Fred 'PennState' can share the link that talks about what is the right gearing for your bike given your expected bike split. Many folks use the wrong gearing. Compacts are best for most athletes unless you are on the pointy end of the field.

I train with power. You are totally right about pacing on the hills. When I did 1 loop of the bike course this past year I was feeling great and holding my target wattage (wattage for HIM), until I hit the final section of the hills leading back towards Placid. I was pushing a 53/39 x 11/25. The 39x25 was WAY too hard of a gear for me, especially with that wind tunnel through the knotch. I am refitting my rear cog with a 27 or 28 for Placid to save my legs.
2010-09-15 7:10 AM

Master
syracuse
I use power.

I'll post my power file here for those interested you can check it out.....

I had a great bike split, negative split the bike....focus next time is to run better!

I used a 11/28 with 54/39.

I want a compact, bad.  My issue is I have a quarq PM, so it makes swapping to a compact crank a costly switch.

I think a compact 12/25 or 11/23 would be great for most every rider....I seldom got into my 54/11.

I biked 5:36 as a frame of reference.

I used my 28 a ton.....

the main downside to the 28 is no 16 cog, which I wished I had for the flats.......
2010-09-15 8:40 AM

Regular
Annapolis, MD
1. Third IM (ChesapeakeMan '09, IM-CDA '10).
2. No
3. Too early for goals... but I would like to go south of 11:30, possibly be near top 20% of AG.  Also run a sub 4hr marathon.  OK, so its not too early for goals.
4. Closest to my home, also its on the list (I want to do them all!).
5. None right now, but they will be coming.

Looking forward to the coming year!
2010-09-15 8:47 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: Who trains with power?

That is a really timely question for me - I never have before, but am really considering it this year. I actually spent a little bit of time yesterday comparing PM models. For years I trained with HR, but for the last 3 or 4 years I have relied almost exclusively on RPE (no HR at all on the run, and only as a check on the bike). I know the second most difficult part of successfully completing IMLP next year will be going easy enough on the bike to have some run legs left. Just to see what I am up against, I did a 5 hour ride this past weekend at or below 75% MHR. Boy was it sloooow. But I did feel great afterward with plenty of gas left in the tank. That is WAY not normal for me after a 5 hour ride.

So - I easily need a speed regulator on the bike - for those that DO use power - how does it compare for you to using HR?
2010-09-15 9:04 AM
in reply to: #3099285

Master
...at home in The ATL
Cuse - thanks for that - really helpful advice. I ride a compact crank on my tri bike and standard on my road bike just because that us the way it was set up forever ago when I bought it. Because of that I actually use the tri bike as a much more "all-arounder" than my road bike. I ride my road bike simply for the handling in a group, but I actually feel better climbing in the tri. My training wheels are 12/25 and my race wheels are 11/25 - you are right - with my standard cranks and 11/25, I really miss the 16, but with the compact and 11/25 I never notice it is missing. If you did run a compact - would you still roll with a 28 cassette for IMLP?

Next Question  - do you find the PM really worth it over HR? PM+Head Unit = cost of new road bike or mountain bike, both of which were on tap before signing up for IMLP...

If so, would you still recommend the Quarq PM? That is the way I am leaning - the couple of folks I know that have them actually swap it between bikes on occasion for big rides, so I assume that is not too difficult to do if you have similar BBs? Also, what head unit do you use? I am thinking of waiting for the new Garmin 800 that is due out next month.

2010-09-15 9:04 AM

Master
Guilford, CT
Cusetri,
good point on the time comment.  I raced and trained for Timberman based on specifically going under a certain time and I left time on the table after basically saying I want to do X swim, X bike and X run to get there.  I did those things but wasn't as gassed as I should have been after and regretted it a little after even though I was happy meeting my time goal.

Kathy,
Been training and racing by feel on the bike for the most part with some HR mixed in.

I'd like to train and race with power but haven't brought myself to justify the purchase.  I think I'd "like" to end up with an SL+ laced to a 404 or something so I could just train/race and throw a disc cover on when needed....anyway I did get tested a couple of months ago and got threshold power and HR.  Guy was a former pro cyclist and basically told me I was fat and needed to lose at least 10 lbs.  He gave me some profiles of what the P/W ratios were for different category of cyclists at threshold and basically pointed at it and said you want to be here to do well.

Curious, what is considered a good P/W ratio at FT for this course and what would it look like for the FOP on the bike?  Assuming w/kg at >4.0?  for top AG guys?  Is that way off? 
2010-09-15 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3099494

Master
syracuse
Subject: RE: Who trains with power?
TankBoy - 2010-09-15 9:47 AM

That is a really timely question for me - I never have before, but am really considering it this year. I actually spent a little bit of time yesterday comparing PM models. For years I trained with HR, but for the last 3 or 4 years I have relied almost exclusively on RPE (no HR at all on the run, and only as a check on the bike). I know the second most difficult part of successfully completing IMLP next year will be going easy enough on the bike to have some run legs left. Just to see what I am up against, I did a 5 hour ride this past weekend at or below 75% MHR. Boy was it sloooow. But I did feel great afterward with plenty of gas left in the tank. That is WAY not normal for me after a 5 hour ride.

So - I easily need a speed regulator on the bike - for those that DO use power - how does it compare for you to using HR?

ive never raced with HR.

my zones do match up pretty well between HR and power while training.

I find my HR to be 5-10 bpm while racing.  some people stay constant.

At the end of the day, all that matters is you use what you are comfortable with.

some people do not need a PM to do this; plenty of examples around here.

The one thing a PM will do for everyone is open their eyes as to how hard they are pushing going up hill.....I capped my power at 250-270 going up hill at placid, and would get passed by people my same size as if I was not trying at all.

they must have been at 350 watts.....

with a proper taper, you will feel like a king coming out of T1.....PM keeps you in check........
2010-09-15 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3099544

Master
White Plains NY
acumenjay - 2010-09-15 10:04 AM Cusetri,
good point on the time comment.  I raced and trained for Timberman based on specifically going under a certain time and I left time on the table after basically saying I want to do X swim, X bike and X run to get there.  I did those things but wasn't as gassed as I should have been after and regretted it a little after even though I was happy meeting my time goal.

Kathy,
Been training and racing by feel on the bike for the most part with some HR mixed in.

I'd like to train and race with power but haven't brought myself to justify the purchase.  I think I'd "like" to end up with an SL+ laced to a 404 or something so I could just train/race and throw a disc cover on when needed....anyway I did get tested a couple of months ago and got threshold power and HR.  Guy was a former pro cyclist and basically told me I was fat and needed to lose at least 10 lbs.  He gave me some profiles of what the P/W ratios were for different category of cyclists at threshold and basically pointed at it and said you want to be here to do well.

Curious, what is considered a good P/W ratio at FT for this course and what would it look like for the FOP on the bike?  Assuming w/kg at >4.0?  for top AG guys?  Is that way off? 

interesting about what I put in bold. If you can, try to get a lean body mass test to determine what your body is made up of. i.e what % of your body is muscle, what % is made up of fat, etc. Is your body very muscular? but has a low body fat %? I would think this would help you know how the weight of your body is distributed and can clue you in better on the "why" of your P/W ratio in regards to your weight.

Losing weight I have found is the fastest way to increase your P/W ratio. Fortunately in the process you do increase your FT.

Pick up a copy of Andrew Coggan's Training and Racing with a Power Meter. It is the bible of training with power. Good luck!
2010-09-15 9:40 AM

1. Is this your first IM?  Yeppers.  I was scheduled to race last year but got tendonitis in my left knee in mid-June.   

2. Have you done LP before?  I didn't participate on Race Day but I went there 2 weeks before the race and road some of the bike and ran 90% of the run course.  I was also in  Lake Placid the week of the Race rooting on my Sunrise Tri Teammates and fellow BT friends. 

3. What are your goals for the 2010 race?  Arrive at the starting line healthy, lean, and Ready to Rock & Roll!! 

4.How/Why did you select the Lake Placid Race? I have two small kiddies and LP is the only driveable M-Dot race from me.  I also heard about the "Magic of Lake Placid" and wanted to expererience this first-hand.  And I did.  The Adriondacks is stunnning and spectaularly beautiful.

5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about LP (the race, training etc)?  Are there hills on this course?    But seriosly, I've ran the hills back into town and aside from one short but super-steep climb, the run course is very fair.  Also, I've ridden the 'Bear Hills'  and they too are very manageable.  Granted I have not ridden or run this course within a 140.6-mile-single-day, but I am confident in guessing that if one stays within themselves and has consistent patience during the climbing sections of this course they will be rewarded nicely. 

2010-09-15 9:42 AM

Also, I may be acquiring a Computrainer and powertap wheel this winter.  If so, I will be racing LP with power.  I'm told that racing this course especially with a powertap can save a lot of time on your Bike split (because you have less of a chance of frying your legs on the first loop) and can set you up for a more consistent run. 

2010-09-15 1:28 PM

Master
White Plains NY
I have a question about the bike course for 2011:

Is the bike course staying the same? Meaning the out and back section @ the top of the course? Or are they reverting it back to the old course and old out and back?
2010-09-15 2:20 PM

^^^ That's a great question.

Oh, and I just wanted to share a piece of information I read regarding Race Weight.  The time to 'lose weight' is the off-season.  So for us: November thru February.  When you start Ironman training, the idea is to maintain your weight.  And when you enter your build period you are going to eat A LOT.  Sure you can lose a few extra pounds with a discplined diet during your taper, but trying to lose weight during the 20 or so weeks of Ironman training is counterproductive and dangerouse because your body is going to require A LOT more calories than normal. 

So this Thanksgiving and Holiday Season, anytime someone offers you horderves or dessert, you simply say, "Sorry, it's the off-season and I'm tyring to trim down before my Ironman Training Season starts.  You know I am doing an Ironman right?"

Edited by Dream Chaser 2010-09-15 2:21 PM
2010-09-15 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3100433

Master
syracuse
wstchstrTriathlete - 2010-09-15 2:28 PM I have a question about the bike course for 2011:

Is the bike course staying the same? Meaning the out and back section @ the top of the course? Or are they reverting it back to the old course and old out and back?

my GUESS is reverting it back, but you never know!

I would prefer one out/back as opposed to two.....both out and backs this year is where the draft packs formed....would be nice to only have to deal with that once......not sure why that is or if I am imagining things?!

2010-09-15 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3100621

Master
syracuse
I need to post again....need to get off 1666.,.....phew....

im not superstitious, though...

Edited by cusetri 2010-09-15 2:52 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 112