BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 100

2013-03-02 9:11 PM
in reply to: #4643524

User image

Veteran
clayton
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (5th season) - Closed
Gla56 - 2013-03-02 3:31 PM
markhodges1973 - 2013-03-03 4:18 AM

ok just back from the running store and need some advice - 14mm drop or 4mm?

I have been running off the couch for last two years, using ~14mm drop both years. first year was stability second year neutral. The saleperson said I do not roll in/out so no need for stability. Only other comment was I am a heel striker, although analysis of the sole indicates minimal - I 'feel' like I am a mid sole person.

I tried both on and loved both - the 'feel' on the 4mm was awesome! but I am cautious that the minimal cushion will not suit my heel strike and lead to injury.

I plan to run sprint and olympic with maybe a half in october.

Any comments/advice?

thanks, Mark.

Mark, I've been running about the same time as you and am "just" a heel striker in my mind. I currently have three sets of shoes in my rotation (a consequence of a visit to Hawaii - running shoes are so cheap in the USA compared to Australia)

Brooks Pure Flow - 4mm heel drop

Saucony Ride 5 - 8mm heel drop

Brooks Glycerine 9 - 14mm heel drop

Do I notice the difference? I probably should, but not really. I notice the weight difference more. The Pure Flows are my go to shoe for races. I love to run in them. I've done a Marathon and HIM in them. They still have plenty of cushioning - just a lower heel drop. This may vary with other shoes of 4mm

Greg

Greg - the two brooks model are what I looked at! knowing you are also a heel striker have you had any new injuries since running in the pureflows?

2013-03-03 3:06 AM
in reply to: #4643830

User image

Veteran
Wollongong
markhodges1973 - 2013-03-03 2:11 PM

I have been running off the couch for last two years, using ~14mm drop both years. first year was stability second year neutral. The saleperson said I do not roll in/out so no need for stability. Only other comment was I am a heel striker, although analysis of the sole indicates minimal - I 'feel' like I am a mid sole person.

I tried both on and loved both - the 'feel' on the 4mm was awesome! but I am cautious that the minimal cushion will not suit my heel strike and lead to injury.

Any comments/advice?

thanks, Mark.

Mark, I've been running about the same time as you and am "just" a heel striker in my mind. I currently have three sets of shoes in my rotation (a consequence of a visit to Hawaii - running shoes are so cheap in the USA compared to Australia)

Do I notice the difference? I probably should, but not really. I notice the weight difference more. The Pure Flows are my go to shoe for races. I love to run in them. I've done a Marathon and HIM in them. They still have plenty of cushioning - just a lower heel drop. This may vary with other shoes of 4mm

Greg

Greg - the two brooks model are what I looked at! knowing you are also a heel striker have you had any new injuries since running in the pureflows?

Mark,

none at all. I'm just over 5' 8" and weigh about 167lbs. (had to look that up, I'm actually 174cm and 76kgs)

I ran the Sydney Marathon and did the Canberra 70.3 Ironman in the pure flows without issue.

When I first got them I did not know if they would stand up to a marathon, but they certainly did. I like the Glycerines (ran one Marathon in my previous pair) but now tend to use them if I'm off road a bit or the conditions are a bit sloppy.

2013-03-03 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4643576

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
dangremond - 2013-03-02 5:30 PM

Gang:

Check out the following Google docs spreadsheet. Nothing fancy, just to the point.  No challenge this month but feel free to log workouts.  This will be the preferred method to track monthly workouts of 30 minutes or more.

Ernesto's Challenge Spreadsheet

-Mitch

Sweet, that is much easier.  I wouldn't of hard the knowledge or the time required to work all that out.  Kudos's to you.

2013-03-03 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4643980

User image

Veteran
clayton
Gla56 - 2013-03-03 4:06 AM
markhodges1973 - 2013-03-03 2:11 PM

Any comments/advice?

thanks, Mark.

Greg

Mark,

none at all. I'm just over 5' 8" and weigh about 167lbs. (had to look that up, I'm actually 174cm and 76kgs)

I ran the Sydney Marathon and did the Canberra 70.3 Ironman in the pure flows without issue.

When I first got them I did not know if they would stand up to a marathon, but they certainly did. I like the Glycerines (ran one Marathon in my previous pair) but now tend to use them if I'm off road a bit or the conditions are a bit sloppy.

LOL - I knew what you meant - I am a Brit living in USA so happens all the time!! I am back at the running store tuesday to had a good run in both - maybe I'll buy both :-) especially as today I go up an AG category and drop one beat in my MAF runs - and life definitely begins for me as I feel the best ever!!

2013-03-03 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4642976

User image

Expert
Guatemala

chris2533 - 2013-03-01 8:09 PM Hello All. Back for March. I've been getting over a really bad case of stomach flu. Also, not been training much and been gaining weight. I am quite literally 12.6 pounds over my weight from my marathon in early October. But that all ends today. Ran 6 miles yesterday and today. 6 weeks to go to Boston. I'm not planning on running Boston fast, but I need to get at least in tolerable shape. Tri training will follow.

Welcome back Chris and glad to hear you are getting better.  It is great that you will have the privilege of running Boston soon and you could still beat many of us, even on your slow days Wink

2013-03-03 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4543349

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Mitch, hope you are feeling better.  Great spreadsheet!  Any idea what happens when two people try to update at the same time?

Mark, I was a heel striker who went from 14.8mm shoes to 4mm shoes.  I will NEVER go back.  I hate walking around in my Saucony Progrid Guide 3s, but I'm too thrifty to get rid of them.  My stable includes 2 pair Saucony Fastwitch 5s, 2 pair Saucony Grid A4s, 1 pair Saucony Cortana 2s, and 1 pair New Balance Trail Minimus.  Cortanas have the most cushioning, but A4s are my favorite.

Chris, I will need a full report from Boston.  I made my hotel reservations for 2014 at Hotel 140, 2 blocks from the finish line for $150/night.  Now that I've figured out what Boston is all about, I'm pretty excited.  Welcome back, I've missed you!

Questions for you marathoners, why am I still so darn hungry?  Why do I feel worse after my post-race massage on Tuesday than I did the day after the marathon?  When will I physically feel like exercising again?  My mind is ready, but I'm not really motivated to go do anything.  And it's really beautiful outside here.

Jackie
www.funafterfifty.com

2013-03-03 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4644348

User image

Master
jackiep - 2013-03-03 2:19 PM

Mitch, hope you are feeling better.  Great spreadsheet!  Any idea what happens when two people try to update at the same time?

the simultaneous update could create a time paradox, the result of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum and destroy the entire universe! Granted, that's worst-case scenario. The destruction might in fact be very localized, limited to merely our own galaxy.
2013-03-03 2:17 PM

Extreme Veteran
Israel / NJ

Hey everyone!

Wow all of you guys are doing well. Good work. I read everyday but dont post much , i been kind of sick with alot of water in my lungs from the antibiotics and crap. When i thought i was better to work out  it would come back quickly again.   Long story short been feeling crappy for 4 to 5 weeks and now im 90% better and its time for me to get back on the band wagen  and Tri 2 succeed. 

sammy

2013-03-03 2:25 PM
in reply to: #4644402

User image

Expert
dangremond - 2013-03-03 2:05 PM

the simultaneous update could create a time paradox, the result of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum and destroy the entire universe! Granted, that's worst-case scenario. The destruction might in fact be very localized, limited to merely our own galaxy.

LMAO!  Better watch out, Chris is back and you'll be vying with him for the funniest posts ;-)

2013-03-03 4:26 PM
in reply to: #4644424

User image

Master
jackiep - 2013-03-03 3:25 PM
dangremond - 2013-03-03 2:05 PM

LMAO!  Better watch out, Chris is back and you'll be vying with him for the funniest posts ;-)

5 extra workout points (JK) if you can name the movie and character who said it....5 more for naming the actor....I know Chris is all over this!
2013-03-03 7:32 PM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly

Mitch - Love the spreadsheet!

Mark - Going from a regular shoe to a 4MM drop was a big change for me and took me a couple of years to be able to run a full marathon in a low drop shoe.  My advice would be to work gradually into the shoes.  I only used them for 5M and less runs.

Chris - Glad to have you back.

Trevor - An annual bonus is what you are eligible for in return for selling your soul to corporate America.Money mouth

2013-03-03 7:37 PM
in reply to: #4644348

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly

Questions for you marathoners, why am I still so darn hungry?  Why do I feel worse after my post-race massage on Tuesday than I did the day after the marathon?  When will I physically feel like exercising again?  My mind is ready, but I'm not really motivated to go do anything.  And it's really beautiful outside here.

Experts say that it takes at least 2-4 weeks to recover from a marathon (http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/19/how-long-does-it-take-to-recover-from-a-marathon/). In my case it took two months and PT to recover from mine.  It takes time.

2013-03-03 9:06 PM

User image

Expert

Mitch- Love the new spread sheet. Doc Emmett Brown or Christopher Lloyd.  Love the movie.

Spent the weekend down state. The good news, I was able to spend time in the pool. Not enough time to count. 15 minutes in the swim a U12 basketball team showed up and chaos ensued. I did get to run and ride the trainer in the hotel.

MarkZ- Your bento box is great, you could eat for a week out of that thing.

Chris- good to read you're back.

2013-03-03 10:21 PM
in reply to: #4644775

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
JBacarella - 2013-03-03 9:06 PM.

MarkZ- Your bento box is great, you could eat for a week out of that thing.

The thing is - the slower you are, the longer you're out there and you need to eat/drink more!

Jackie, in my opinion recovery time after marathon is a function of how hard you pushed yourself. You obviously did push yourself hard... you're the only one to know when the time to run again is right.

Mitch, the spreadsheet is great, but I can't update it, there's a "Trying to reach google.com..." message at the top.

Edited by markz 2013-03-04 3:57 AM
2013-03-04 8:12 AM

User image

Master

Team - Thanks for all the comments on the spreadsheet.  Can I ask that everyone keep their editing of the spreadsheet to only their workout numbers and times.  No one has done anything more than edit their #s at this point but just wanted to get that thought out there.  If there are errors or things to be changed or something you think would be a nice to have let me know and I will try to incorporate it.  Just don't want too many cooks in the kitchen. 

Best practice will be to bookmark the spreadsheet link in your browser favorites.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag5bnv7efYXkdFFGMkRaZnlXQk40YkVTQWotUmVjWkE&usp=sharing

The spreadsheet should update automatically.  Markz - you have data in the spreadsheet for March so please check if it is correct.

I will periodically go in and sort the current month by workout total and in case of ties by total time.  Please notice there are group totals for each month along the bottom and individual totals for the year along the far right side.  I froze the left column and the top handful of columns so that as you scroll through the spreadsheet it should be easier to stay in the cells you want to.

As for me, I'm about 80% better from being sick.  Still have a lot of congestion in my upper lungs/throat that I assume drained from my sinuses.  Was going to run this morning but decided to give it one more day.  Plan will then be to run easy for 3 days and then try to pick up plan where I left off.  Will probably dial back the cycling for a couple weeks to devote most energy to running.

Edited by dangremond 2013-03-04 8:19 AM
2013-03-04 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4643377

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
markhodges1973 - 2013-03-02 12:18 PM

Any comments/advice?

thanks, Mark.

Mark. Similar to you, I "feel" like a mid sole, but the evidence suggest otherwise Surprised So I'm going to go with the pics and say that I do heel strike. When I went off the couch I bought the Asic Kayano (I am  a slight over-pronator).

I moved from the Kayano (I think 14 mm) to the Saucony Hurricane 8mm. I love the feel of the shoe, and the shoes are lighter too so maybe that had something to do with it. Having said that, my calves live in constant state of tightness. No pain, just tight.

I don't think it is due only to the shoes, as I had it with the Asics too. Maybe some tightness in the hamstrings that led my calves to work a little more (I definetly need to work on my flexibility). But I believe the 8 mm do affect it to some degree.

You have other options between 4mm and 14 mm. Saucony makes a lot of their shoes now with an 8mm drop (somewhat in-between).  the Brooks Ravena  is at 9mm. Maybe use this as a bridge between 14mm to 4mm?

2013-03-04 12:25 PM

User image

Expert

Today 35:22 for a 4.3 mile runch. Still on the dreadmill, because certain death is guaranteed on my road right now. Hoping the warmer (40F) temps will melt the ice on my road, so I can run outside.

2013-03-04 3:29 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Mitch: I thought that quote was from Back to the Future, but wasn't sure. So I don't win.

Mark: I am a big proponent of zero drop shoes. When I use anything but, I get hip issues. I'm back to doing most of my running in VFF's (although I will run races in Newton MV2's, which are also zero drop.) BUT (and this is like mine, a big but(t)) you need to transition very slowly if you switch. Rather than drop from 14mm to less and then less, ..., I would do about 1/2 mile in a zero drop shoe, and then the rest of your run in the old shoe. Then very slowly add more and more to the amount you run in the zero drop.

Jackie: I'm a little, but not very, worried about your booking a hotel room for Boston 2014. Is it refundable? A BQ isn't a guarantee that you will actually get into the race. They reserve the right to make the actual cutoff a faster time than your BQ. They way registration works is that on the first day, anyone with a BQ-20 (a time 20 minutes faster than their BQ) gets to register. Then a few days later, anyone with a BQ-10. Then anyone with a BQ - 5 (That's me!). On those days, it's first come, first served. Finally, they open registration for a week for all BQ - 0. But for these, it is not first come first served. They let people register for a week with no guarantee of getting in. If they get too many people, they pick some amount x that you must beat your BQ by and everyone who beat their BQ by more than that gets in and everyone who beat their BQ by less doesn't, even though everyone has BQ's. The reason I'm not very worried about you is that 1) you beat your BQ by over a minute, and 2) for the 2013 Boston, everyone who registered during that BQ-0 week got in. In fact, they held open registration to allow fall marathoners like me to get in. For 2013 and onward, they tightened all BQ's by 5 minutes and 59 seconds and they might have tightened too much. (So congrats again. Not only did you BQ on your first marathon, you met the new stricter BQ. For 2011, your age/gender BQ was 5:59 slower.)
2013-03-05 7:50 AM

User image

Master
Dallas

@Mitch, thanks for the spreadsheet, you did a tremendous job and I appreciate the effort. I have been extremely busy lately (what's new, huh?) so I apologize for the absence.

This is also affecting some of my scheduled workouts, especially swims and rides. I don't feel that bad though, I am only 12 days out from my first triathlon of the season, Ironman San Juan 70.3 (Puerto Rico). I think I will have a mediocre swim, a good bike and an average run. I am very excited about starting the season.

2013-03-05 9:19 AM
in reply to: #4646060

User image

Master

chris2533 - 2013-03-04 4:29 PM Mitch: I thought that quote was from Back to the Future, but wasn't sure. So I don't win.

I believe that it was from Back to the Future II.  Christopher Lloyd's character Dr. Emmett "Doc" Brown.

I'm finally feeling better.  was going to run this morning but oldest didn't have school affording me the opportunity to sleep in (if sleeping until 7:30am is considered sleeping in...), so I'm going to squeeze 30 minutes in on the dreadmill at lunch and see how it goes. 

2013-03-05 9:24 AM

User image

Master

New Sufferefest Video Released called Blender (link).  Here is the workout detail - think I'll need to download it...

Workout Details:

Whatever you thought was difficult is going to have to move into second position. With a workout designed by Boulder Center for Sports Medicine’s Elite Cycling and Triathlon Coach Neal Henderson. It’s your chance to suffer like the pros. Here’s what you’re going to be up against over the 1 hour and 40 minutes:

Warm-up

About 10:00 at RPE 4, then a progressive build to higher RPEs and then a 2:00 recovery.

Interval Set 1: Mixed Longer Intervals Threshold/VO2 Max

• 10 minutes Threshold (RPE 7/10)
  • 2 minutes Recovery (RPE 1-2)
  • 2 minutes VO2 (RPM 9/10)
  • 8 minutes Threshold (RPE 7/10)
  • 4 minutes Supra LT (RPE 8/10)
  • 6 minutes Threshold (7/10)
  • 4 minutes Recovery (RPE 1-2)

Interval Set 2: 18 Short/Intense Power at VO2 Max and Anaerobic Capacity

• 6 repeats of 40s VO2 (RPE 9/10), 20s Recovery (RPE 1-2)
  • 6 repeats of 30s VO2 (RPE 9/10), 30s Recovery (RPE 1-2)
  • 6 repeats of 20s Sprint (RPE 10/10), 40s Recovery (RPE 1-2)

Interval 3: Grand Finale, Threshold with limited recovery when fatigued.

3 repeats of 4 minutes Threshold (RPE 7-8/10)/ 1 Minute Recovery (RPE 1-2)

Cool-down

5 minutes relaxed spin (RPE 2)

2013-03-05 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4646975

User image

Expert
dangremond - 2013-03-05 9:24 AM

New Sufferefest Video Released called Blender (link).  Here is the workout detail - think I'll need to download it...

Workout Details:

Whatever you thought was difficult is going to have to move into second position. With a workout designed by Boulder Center for Sports Medicine’s Elite Cycling and Triathlon Coach Neal Henderson. It’s your chance to suffer like the pros. Here’s what you’re going to be up against over the 1 hour and 40 minutes:

Warm-up

About 10:00 at RPE 4, then a progressive build to higher RPEs and then a 2:00 recovery.

Cool-down

Let us know how it is. I am considering buying it. I have been tacking other video's for longer workouts.

2013-03-05 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4646975

User image

Master
Dallas
dangremond - 2013-03-05 9:24 AM

Workout Details:

Warm-up

Cool-down

It sounds like it was designed by Satan himself.
2013-03-05 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4646060

User image

Expert

chris2533 - 2013-03-04 3:29 PM Jackie: . . . (So congrats again. Not only did you BQ on your first marathon, you met the new stricter BQ. For 2011, your age/gender BQ was 5:59 slower.)

Thanks, Chris.  Good to know about the 2011 times.  Room has no deposit on it.  I can cancel up to 3 days before.  I figured it was too good of a deal to pass up 2 blocks from the finish.

Do you recommend the Hanson Advanced Plan again only with more hill training?

2013-03-05 11:04 AM
in reply to: #4646841

User image

Expert
ernestov - 2013-03-05 7:50 AM

. . . I don't feel that bad though, I am only 12 days out from my first triathlon of the season, Ironman San Juan 70.3 (Puerto Rico). I think I will have a mediocre swim, a good bike and an average run. I am very excited about starting the season.

I predict good swim, great bike, and good run.  I am excited that you're starting the season too!  Guess I better start thinking about my season now.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 100