Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 125

2024-01-31 3:34 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

A little lower than planned for January, but you gotta account for the inevitable winter crud at least once a year.  Started and finished strong, though.

Swim: 3h 34m 42s - 8500 Yd
Bike: 6h 40m 08s - 129.24 Mi
Run: 5h 57m 54s - 31.77 Mi
Strength: 10h 42m (includes Bikram Yoga sessions)
Hiking: 3h 05m
Physical Therapy: 2h 05m

2024-02-01 8:49 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Good morning, all.  Almost two hours at the gym this morning...20+' bike warm up, 3 miles on the treadmill with 2 x 3' intervals @ 5K pace, the almost 45 minutes of legs, core, and some stuff my physical therapist has been working on with me.  Whatever we're doing is working on my back and hips so far.  I have another five weeks of it then I'll get him to write up a maintenance routine for me.  Getting old sucks - it's now like 2-3 hours a week of strength and core work just to be able to survive a training plan. 

More swim and bike work tomorrow.  We're headed to New York this weekend to meet some old friends of ours to drink and eat our way around the city so I'll undo this week's good work. 

Hope everyone is getting a good start to February.

2024-02-01 10:38 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
January Totals:
Swim: 14h 40m 24s - 32200 Yd (48,000c)
Bike: 15h 57m 56s (all indoor)
Run: 22h 45m 21s - 104.54 Mi
Strength: 6h 02m

Pretty happy with this, especially the run total. This is by FAR the biggest run month I've ever had. I think my previous was 60miles. So, in keeping with the whole go big or go home mentality, I increased by 67%--follow me for more terrible training ideas!

Started February with a nice, easy 60' Z2 ride this morning, which is exactly how I finished January last night. I forgot how boring these rides are!! I need to work on getting my entertainment game dialed in!

Also...I am seriously considering the upgrade to a direct drive trainer. Any advice? Thoughts? Product reviews? Bonus points if I can get it on Amazon and use some of my 400K points from there to do it for no cash outlay! Wife is on board, but it does mean I will have to move everything out the garage. Not as bad this week as it would have been earlier in January when it was -XXF outside all the time.

Later today, long run of 8.08 miles.
2024-02-01 11:39 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

RE:  direct drive trainers...depends on what you need.  I grabbed a Tacx Flux S for like $450 when clevertraining went under a couple of years ago.  It does the job but it's not the most accurate or quiet, and I feel like in erg mode (forcing the power to be consistent) it does a crappy job in some of the gear ratios, especially WU/CD/recovery like 100 watts. For what I paid though, it's stellar and works on Zwift or Trainer Road.

The new Zwift Click/Cog looks interesting - it basically turns your bike/trainer into a smart bike (so no cassette, you shift using buttons) and it's $599 with a free year of Zwift.  It's locked into Zwift, though (i.e. no other apps work with it).  That shouldn't be a problem for you because Zwift pulls in your Training Peaks planned workouts and you can run them in erg mode (or you can just do what you do now on the dumb trainer and shift into the wattage you're targeting). 

The really fun part of the direct-drive trainers are just rolling around on Zwift and the changing of resistance based on your incline, which is adjustable.  I'd never go back...when I go to Florida in March I take my old Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer and I really miss the smart trainer.  They're also much quieter than the fluid trainers. 

As always, the guru for info on this is DC Rainmaker's site:  https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/11/smart-cycle-trainer-recommendations-guide-winter.html/  That review is a couple of years old but it should give you an idea on the different levels, features, and price ranges.

2024-02-01 1:03 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Also...I am seriously considering the upgrade to a direct drive trainer. Any advice? Thoughts? Product reviews? Bonus points if I can get it on Amazon and use some of my 400K points from there to do it for no cash outlay! Wife is on board, but it does mean I will have to move everything out the garage. Not as bad this week as it would have been earlier in January when it was -XXF outside all the time.

I'm going to repeat much of what Mike said.

I've got an Elite Suito direct drive trainer. Got it in the build up fo my 2nd Ironman, so I've been using it for around 3 1/2 years. The main reason for that specific trainer is at the time it was the most affordable direct drive smart trainer in NZ. So purely cost. It's quiet, it's reliable, essentially no maintenance other than a bit of chain lube required in the whole time I've used it. I have no hesitation recommending it as a good option.

That said, I think all the modern options are probably much the same. Wahoo, Tacx, Elite, Zwift would all be on my short list, depending on what you can find on sale.

I agree with Mike, the zwift cog makes the zwift trainer very attractive, but it is definitely a nice to have option, not a must have. And I'll also second having a read of the DCRainmaker website. He is the guru, and I check out the reviews of any triathlon tech/gadget before purchasing.

One thing to remember when you're shopping, a direct drive trainer needs a cassette (unless you're getting the zwift cog). Some come with them included, some don't. So don't forget to check, and add that to your budget when choosing.
2024-02-01 1:10 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Nice months to start the year Mike and Gretchen. Especially Gretchens 100 mile run month. Wow.

I started Feburary with a speed interval run Thursday night, 8x 0:45@Z5 with 1:45 recovery. And an easy 45 minute Z2 jug Friday morning. The plan from here is an hour on zwift tonight, and my long run, an easy 30-45 minute run and an hour ride over the weekend.

Have a good weekend everyone. Happy training.

2024-02-02 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Another double to close out the week...1500y swim with some strength training, then 45' on the bike at lunch supposed to be 3 x 8' @ steady state but I had to ease up on the 3rd interval as I wasn't mentally there.  HR tracked just a tad high so still fighting to get back into shape. 

+1 on Andrew's comment for Gretchen's run month.  Nice work.

2024-02-02 1:46 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Another double to close out the week...1500y swim with some strength training, then 45' on the bike at lunch supposed to be 3 x 8' @ steady state but I had to ease up on the 3rd interval as I wasn't mentally there.  HR tracked just a tad high so still fighting to get back into shape. 

+1 on Andrew's comment for Gretchen's run month.  Nice work.

Mike!! You're short changing yourself! Where I come from, that is called a TRIPLE! (unless you did your strength training in the pool!).
2024-02-02 1:50 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
What can one say about an easy 8mile run outside on a 60F degree sunny day on February first? Only good, amazing things. I can't believe how much my mood has improved after nearly a couple of hours in the sun. I hate January--gray, cold, wet, just bleh. Yesterday was a good run, very nice and easy in the afternoon. This morning was another run, 35' short and sweet before heading directly to the pool for 2600 yds of decreasing 50s. Wednesday was all 25s and today was all 50s--don't know what that is about, but better than the days coach decides we should do 500s. Lunchtime strength session finished out my day. It was supposed to be this morning after the swim, but a little cramping while finishing out those 50s sets suggested I would benefit from some hydration (and maybe calories!), so I rearranged my schedule, got a gatorade, and had some food (kinda in that order).
2024-02-04 1:57 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Mike, Yup, swim + strength + bike = a triple. Nice work.

@Gretchen, Sounds like you had a very enjoyable run. Sometimes it's nice to get out and remind ourselves that we do this for enjoyment, not just hitting pace and power zones because the training plan says too. And good choice rearranging things to make sure you're properly fueled and recovered.

@Me, Finished up the week pretty much as planned with a couple of zwift rides, 1 easy, 1 sweet spot intervals and a long run Saturday and easy run Sunday.

Total for the week:
Swim: 0.
Bike, x3, 3hours
Run, x6, 5 hours, 38km.

Added up to 8 hours, which is my biggest week of the year. A perfect cutback week.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.
2024-02-04 2:10 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

Added up to 8 hours, which is my biggest week of the year. A perfect cutback week.

That's how we like to do it around here!!

2024-02-04 2:20 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Weekly Totals:
6 runs 22.4mi (4:57)
4 bikes (5:45)
4 swims 8875 yds (4:01)
2 strength (1:37)
Total 16:20

I am enjoying a quiet weekend. My wife went to visit some friends, so I've had the house all to myself for the weekend (plus dog, but she just sleeps in the bedroom unless I'm eating something--which, I guess means I see her every two hours!). I've spent it training, and working (I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes to work on the weekends!). Anyway, yesterday was a long trainer ride of 2:15 and then another glorious warm February afternoon run (35'). Today is a rest day, which I am taking advantage of by doing all the little things I'm supposed to do--rest, eat right, keep my legs elevated, buy a new trainer, meal plan, order groceries for pickup, etc. :D

I pulled the trigger on a direct drive, smart trainer this afternoon. It will arrive on Thursday. I hope to have it, and whatever app I'll need to use it, figured out in time for my Saturday long ride. I ended up with a Wahoo Kicker Core. Beyond the price point, which was significantly less than I was expecting based on DCR review (the one I was reading was 2020-2021), the biggest selling point was that it is virtually silent. If that is true, maybe I'll not be kicked out of the house and into the garage. I (stupidly) cleaned out the garage last month in the big purge of stuff and now my wife is eyeing the garage as a more appropriate place for my trainer setup than the corner of our living room/her office. I'm resistant--I don't want to be stuck out in the garage when it is cold...or when it is hot! I guess there are advantages, one of which would be making my wife happy by making what is a pretty small concession. Another would be not having to worry about how much sweat pours off me when I'm riding. No one will care if there are puddles on the garage floor. The wife has some issues with puddles on the living room floor *insert eye roll emoji here* :D.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
2024-02-04 2:57 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

I pulled the trigger on a direct drive, smart trainer this afternoon. It will arrive on Thursday. I hope to have it, and whatever app I'll need to use it, figured out in time for my Saturday long ride. I ended up with a Wahoo Kicker Core. Beyond the price point, which was significantly less than I was expecting based on DCR review (the one I was reading was 2020-2021), the biggest selling point was that it is virtually silent. If that is true, maybe I'll not be kicked out of the house and into the garage. I (stupidly) cleaned out the garage last month in the big purge of stuff and now my wife is eyeing the garage as a more appropriate place for my trainer setup than the corner of our living room/her office. I'm resistant--I don't want to be stuck out in the garage when it is cold...or when it is hot! I guess there are advantages, one of which would be making my wife happy by making what is a pretty small concession. Another would be not having to worry about how much sweat pours off me when I'm riding. No one will care if there are puddles on the garage floor. The wife has some issues with puddles on the living room floor *insert eye roll emoji here* :D.

Congratulations on the new toy Wahoo are a very well regarded brand in this space so I'm sure you'll be very happy with your purchase. And yes, the noise it produces, especially compared to a wheel on trainer is life changing.

As for what app to use, Mike and I both use zwift to drive the trainer. It's a bit video gamey which you might, or might not like. I think they have a free trial period you can use to see if you like it. Training peaks can also sync with zwift so sends your workout of the day straight to your app.

Enjoy the toy

2024-02-05 1:13 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Weekly Totals:
6 runs 22.4mi (4:57)
4 bikes (5:45)
4 swims 8875 yds (4:01)
2 strength (1:37)
Total 16:20

I am enjoying a quiet weekend. My wife went to visit some friends, so I've had the house all to myself for the weekend (plus dog, but she just sleeps in the bedroom unless I'm eating something--which, I guess means I see her every two hours!). I've spent it training, and working (I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes to work on the weekends!). Anyway, yesterday was a long trainer ride of 2:15 and then another glorious warm February afternoon run (35'). Today is a rest day, which I am taking advantage of by doing all the little things I'm supposed to do--rest, eat right, keep my legs elevated, buy a new trainer, meal plan, order groceries for pickup, etc. :D

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Congrats on the new toy! I was going to get one of those direct drive smart trainers last year but when I bought my second hand trainer specific bike, the seller would not sell me just the bike. Well, she would but at about the same price as with the trainer so I got the trainer home, intending to sell it myself but I got lazy and didn’t.

Funny you may get kicked out of the house into the garage (your wife is strange by the way, what’s wrong with puddles of sweat in the living room? LOL). Me and my trainer were kicked out of the garage last year. Apparently, garages are for cars and motorbikes. I moved into our son’s computer room, which is great but not ideal when he comes home.

Had a poor `January, mainly because `i have been sick so I’ll spare you the numbers.

Last week wasn’t great either 3 slow runs and one slow zwift. Total 4 hours. Still not feeling great but yesterday’s 10k felt better than anything since last year so we’ll try to step up this week.

Have a great week!

2024-02-05 9:16 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nat--I wish our garage was for cars and motorbikes! Okay, to be fair, we can fit one car in the garage. Our house was built in 1965 and I don't entirely understand how they can ever consider our garage a two car garage. Car in 1965 were boats! There is no way two of them would have ever fit into our garage, but yet...two car garage. We can get our Murano in the garage fine, but there is no way my truck is fitting in there next to it. I think the cab is too tall anyway, and I'm also pretty sure that it is too long, but given the first bit about height, I don't want to test the second bit! So we have a 1.5 car garage, with one car inside and then just enough awkward empty space to invite the accumulation of clutter.

Up this morning for a swim session (2450yds) followed by a strength training session. I spent a good bit of my strength session looking for weights. I swear I'll never understand how people don't think they need to re-rack their weights when finished or why they move them from room to room (gym has three free weight rooms, each is adequately stocked with weights). Of course, I also don't understand why I randomly find a 45lb weight plate on backside of the upstairs track occasionally either.
2024-02-05 9:26 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Hi all -

My name is David Qua and I’ve hung out with you guys before, but my adhd and my sporadic workout habits have made it so that I’ve been absent for long chunks of time and I’m sorry about that. I’m current and once again trying to drop weight in an attempt to lose weight to not only regain my health but to feel better which has been in short supply lately. For about two years, I’ve been struggling with undiagnosed nausea which I think is caused by a lack of sleep due to my fat boy sleep apnea. So if I’m gonna feel better, I think I’ve gotta lose weight. So far this year, I’ve lost 11 pounds and my goal is to get down from 240 to 170 this year by lose 1 1/2 pounds a week, which is definitely something I can do. But I know I need some help and I believe I need to go back to basics and get the help of this group like I had on 2014 when I manage to do an Ironman with the help of people who are still in this group. So please let me know if I can join once again.

If I get the green light. I’ll post a biography tonight or tomorrow after I hear back from you guys. Thanks for considering me after I’ve quit on you so many time which again is caused by my add but for which I apologize for.

2024-02-05 9:35 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove.

Up this morning for a swim session (2450yds) followed by a strength training session. I spent a good bit of my strength session looking for weights. I swear I'll never understand how people don't think they need to re-rack their weights when finished or why they move them from room to room (gym has three free weight rooms, each is adequately stocked with weights). Of course, I also don't understand why I randomly find a 45lb weight plate on backside of the upstairs track occasionally either.

Nice swim and strength training! Not being able to find the right weight is why I absolutely hate working out on public. People just are t considerate because their too busy trying to find their muscles in the mirror. Just take solace in the fact that your one of the good people Gretchen.

2024-02-05 9:35 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove.

Nice swim and strength training! Not being able to find the right weight is why I absolutely hate working out on public. People just are t considerate because their too busy trying to find their muscles in the mirror. Just take solace in the fact that your one of the good people Gretchen.

2024-02-06 12:22 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hey Dave! Great to see you! Welcome back!!

I had a double morning, with a 0:40 4am run and then a 2500yd swim at 6am. Later tonight is a gentle Z1 recovery ride (1:15). My wife says my new trainer is arriving today. Too bad the cassette won't be here until Thursday. *sigh* It is a little like forgetting the batteries on Christmas morning.
2024-02-06 12:39 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen:  you could have gone with the Tacx NEO 3M - only $1999!!!!  Congrats on the new toy

@Dave:  hey bud - welcome back, we're always open remember

Had a rough morning workout this morning but got through it after a lousy night's sleep.  I have a design session I'm facilitating later this afternoon that I've basically created from scratch and have no idea how it's going to go.  30 min bike, 30 min run with some sprints, 30 min strength and PT work.  5K road race on Saturday and it's supposed to be in the 50s so perfect weather to suffer.

2024-02-06 12:45 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Qua17

Hi all -

My name is David Qua and I’ve hung out with you guys before,

• So please let me know if I can join once again.

If I get the green light. I’ll post a biography tonight or tomorrow after I hear back from you guys. Thanks for considering me after I’ve quit on you so many time which again is caused by my add but for which I apologize for.

Hi DQ, welcome back. Hoping you get lots of success this year.

Asking to rejoin is totally unnecessary though, once a BDAS'er always a BDAS'er. We're like the mafia, once you're in you're never out.

2024-02-06 12:46 PM

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island

Nat--I wish our garage was for cars and motorbikes!

I just wish we had a garage :/
    2024-02-06 12:54 PM

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island
    @ Mike, 5k race on the weekend is exciting. Do you have a time goal?

@Gretchen. You could, always 'borrow' the cassette from you wheel to get you started. Actually, depending on the condition of everything you might want to put the new cassette on the wheel anyway? Best kit for race day and all that.

@Nat, a 4 hour week is better than 90% of the population, don't sell yourself short. Nice that your 10k felt good. Fitness returning is fun.

ME,

Positive start to the week. Monday was a light day with a 30 minute easy treadmill run. Tuesday a 45 minute steady state run, about 35 minutes just slower than my planned half marathon pace. And an interval ride on zwift in the evening. This morning back out for 45 minutes easy running before breakfast, and will probably do an easy zwift ride tonight.

Keep up the good work guys.
    2024-02-06 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog @ Mike, 5k race on the weekend is exciting. Do you have a time goal? 

Go out way too fast thinking I'm still 45 years old and can run a 22-flat 5K, then flame out spectacularly around mile 2.2. 

The Plan is to hold low 8s as long as possible (like 8:15ish).  If I can come in sub 25:30 I'll count it as a win. 

2024-02-06 4:23 PM

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island
    Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by bulfrog @ Mike, 5k race on the weekend is exciting. Do you have a time goal? 

Go out way too fast thinking I'm still 45 years old and can run a 22-flat 5K, then flame out spectacularly around mile 2.2. 

The Plan is to hold low 8s as long as possible (like 8:15ish).  If I can come in sub 25:30 I'll count it as a win. 

If you're going to deny ageing, go hard and flame out, I think you'd be better to pretend you're still 25 rather than 45... Aim high.
    New Thread
    Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 125

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
    Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland