Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Gat's Mentor Group - Closed
Gat,
OK captain - I'm onto week 5!

Kina,
Just impressed with your endurance.

Carla,
I'll hold you to your promise to kiss a** in June!

2008-05-22 8:35 AM
in reply to: #1370022

Veteran
Beaumont, TX
Silver member
Gat,

What is the equivalent of riding a trainer to riding outdoors? I have only ridden outside once. I plan on joining a bike group but can't until June.
2008-05-22 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1417764

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

Kinaiahi,

Well, I have raced both ways.  I have a history of going out slowly because I have bonked in the past.  I usually am able to finish strong, but I know that I am leaving time on the table, as I start out too slowly.  This is usually true in the way that I run marathons.  However, with tris, I have gone hard in the water and then blown up on the bike leaving me in a sufferfest on the run.  Not much fun, I do not mind telling you.  My advice would be to go hard and steady but keep in your mind that you still have to run.  I ran quite a bit last year and completed two marathons before my tri season.  I neglected the bike a bit as a result.  I thought I would be able to get off the bike and make up some time on the run.  However, if you go out too hard on the bike, I do not care how good a runner you are, you will suffer and your time will reflect this.  Have a good strategy for you and try to work it.  Also, remember that you are always going harder on race day than you did in any of your training sessions. 

2008-05-22 10:59 AM
in reply to: #1418676

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

jana0317 - 2008-05-22 8:35 AM Gat, What is the equivalent of riding a trainer to riding outdoors? I have only ridden outside once. I plan on joining a bike group but can't until June.

I have no real basis for what I am about to say other than what I have read.  I do not think that anybody has really looked at trainer time versus road time with any scientific data. However, this question comes up often and the answer that I have read most is 1.5 to 1.  Thus, one hour on the trainer is comparable to 1.5 hours on the road.  It is all about coasting.  You can work hard for a few moments on the road and then coast.  You cannot coast on a trainer.  I hope this helps. 

2008-05-22 11:24 AM
in reply to: #1419103

Veteran
Beaumont, TX
Silver member
Thanks! I was worried because most of my rides will be on the trainer considering our town is not bike/runner friendly.
2008-05-22 1:05 PM
in reply to: #1419189

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN

jana0317 - 2008-05-22 11:24 AM Thanks! I was worried because most of my rides will be on the trainer considering our town is not bike/runner friendly.

That's too bad!!!  What town is that?

2008-05-22 3:36 PM
in reply to: #1419511

Veteran
Beaumont, TX
Silver member
I live in Beaumont, TX. It is about 1.5 hours east of Houston. We just got our first bike trail on May 19. Motorists here don't seem to think that anybody should be on the road except them. I am very nervous about riding by myself. Our only LBS has group rides that I am going to attempt in June when my kid gets out of school. I am very jealous of the Dallas/Fort Worth people. From the Texas forum it looks like they have a lot of bike trails and places to practice OWS.
2008-05-22 3:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Jana,
I'm kinda new to biking as well. Just got my road bike two years ago. I was very nervous when I rode on a road without a shoulder. White knuckled it! I'm a little more confident.
I find some roads with wide shoulders and ride it back and forth to get the distance in if I have to. I live in a fairly rural area and find that I can usually find some back roads that are not too hilly and are smooth. Check out mapmyrun.com. It can help you determine distances (in advance) and elevations for areas around you.

About the trainer, I don't know, but I started 30 #s heavier (5'1" 198#) and could not run without hurting myself. I used the elliptical and had some people tell me it wasn't going to help. It did, I worked on my endurance and lost weight. Now I can run. Do what you have to do, just make sure you sweat a lot and breathe heavy.
2008-05-22 4:04 PM
in reply to: #1420043

Veteran
Beaumont, TX
Silver member
MuscleMomma - 2008-05-22 3:57 PM

Jana,
I'm kinda new to biking as well. Just got my road bike two years ago. I was very nervous when I rode on a road without a shoulder. White knuckled it! I'm a little more confident.
I find some roads with wide shoulders and ride it back and forth to get the distance in if I have to. I live in a fairly rural area and find that I can usually find some back roads that are not too hilly and are smooth. Check out mapmyrun.com. It can help you determine distances (in advance) and elevations for areas around you.

About the trainer, I don't know, but I started 30 #s heavier (5'1" 198#) and could not run without hurting myself. I used the elliptical and had some people tell me it wasn't going to help. It did, I worked on my endurance and lost weight. Now I can run. Do what you have to do, just make sure you sweat a lot and breathe heavy.

That sounds like great advice!
2008-05-23 3:25 AM

User image

Regular
Hilo, Hawaii

Gat-

Thanks for the advice.  Does going harder in races mean going faster too?  I'd love to average >20 mph on the bike!

Seriously though, I going to try to pace off of my HR and not my speed.  I have speed goals, but I know that conditions can do a lot to change how we race.  Kona is always hot, hopefully it won't have all the volcanic haze that's been floating around lately.

2008-05-23 8:53 AM
in reply to: #1419189

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

Jana,

Not to worry.  I might have mentioned somewhere in this forum that I know a triathlete that only takes his bike off the trainer when he rides long.  All other rides are on the trainer.  He claims it helps him get the most out of his time.  He seems to do pretty well.  As long as you ride hard on the trainer, you will be fine. 

2008-05-23 9:01 AM
in reply to: #1420769

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
kinaiahi - 2008-05-23 3:25 AM

Gat-

Thanks for the advice.  Does going harder in races mean going faster too?  I'd love to average >20 mph on the bike!

Seriously though, I going to try to pace off of my HR and not my speed.  I have speed goals, but I know that conditions can do a lot to change how we race.  Kona is always hot, hopefully it won't have all the volcanic haze that's been floating around lately.

Kinaiahi,

You know, I work from my HR monitor as well.  Sure I guage how I feel and how hard I think I am working, but I let my HR monitor be my guide.  I find that I just naturally work harder in races than in training.  Sounds intuitive, but my HR will be 10 to 15 beats higher at the start of a race when I am just standing there.  From there it tends to track higher until I settle in and find my pace.  Certainly it is partly adrenaline, but I know that I go harder as well, as indicated by my times.  So I think your approach is perfect. 

As an aside, I would love to average 20 MPH on the bike as well for an HIM.  However, I am just not strong enough on the bike.  If I were to average 20 MPH on the bike, I will follow that up with 13 miles of 14 minute miles on the run.  Not to worry, you are going to do just fine.

2008-05-23 10:22 AM
in reply to: #1421040

User image

Master

As an aside, I would love to average 20 MPH on the bike as well for an HIM.  However, I am just not strong enough on the bike.  If I were to average 20 MPH on the bike, I will follow that up with 13 miles of 14 minute miles on the run.  Not to worry, you are going to do just fine.

HEY!  No making fun of 14 minute miles!!!  J/K  What does everyone have planned for the long weekend?  My baby is turning 4 tomorrow and we have a really cool party planned for him.  Other than that, hope to get in a few good workouts!

Edited by carlacrews 2008-05-23 10:23 AM
2008-05-23 1:07 PM

New user

Just a post of encouragement.  I was having a very rough time swimming. I could barely do 200 yards without needing to stop.  They i went to a smaller warmer pool for a week and a half (4 swims) I learned to calm down a bit. and watching the demo of triswimcoach i tried to slow myself down.  My first swim back in my old pool i was able to do 3700 feet without needing to stop.  Of course i did it pretty slowly.. BUT i did it... which was a hugh confidence booster for me. 

Happy long Weekend Train Well

2008-05-23 1:18 PM

Veteran
Beaumont, TX
Silver member
Carla - Good luck with the 4 year olds! That should be a workout in itself.

Duffers - I am having a hard time swimming to. But I think my problem is when I start swimming a length of the pool I am relaxed and have a good rythm. However I get to the wall of the pool and lose it. I know I can swim 150 yards in the pool without stopping. I am interested in how I will do in a lake with no wall to break my rythm. Have to wait to July. But I plan on getting 3-4 open water swims before the race.

As for this weekend here are my plans:

Friday: Run 3 miles, swim 30 minutes
Saturday: Bike 42 minutes, swim 30 minutes
Sunday: Run 5 miles
Monday: Try to ride bike outdoors

For all of you racing this weekend good luck. Have a fun and safe Memorial Day weekend!
2008-05-23 2:37 PM
in reply to: #1421873

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

BUT i did it... which was a hugh confidence booster for me. 

This is what it is all about my friend.  You did it.  Next time you will do it again and do it faster or longer.  Keep working at it.  Nice job.

2008-05-23 2:41 PM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

I am hoping to get in 3,500 yards in the pool tonight.  I will follow that up with a short/slow run (2 miles) and a 60 minute spin bike ride on Saturday.  Sunday is my first race of the year, a marathon.  Monday, I will spin, stretch and try to walk normal.

Have fun this weekend.

2008-05-23 10:39 PM

User image

Regular

I have a last minute question before my raced sunday......

For you experienced folks, DO YOU WEAR SOCKS?

I always wear socks with both the bike and run in training but am concerned about when to put them on.  I have gotten to the point I can have my bike shoes already in the pedal and get into them easily while riding.  But I went and looked at the transition area today and depending on where my rack is I could be running a long way on dirt in socks. 

Is this an issue or am I just getting overly nervous?

2008-05-23 11:07 PM

User image

Regular
Hilo, Hawaii

John-

I'm not very experienced, but in the sprint races I've done I got blisters on occasion when I didn't wear socks.  I like longer events, so I don't think taking a little longer in transition for socks will make too much of a difference for me.  I actually plan to change socks in T2 as well for my HIM.

Gat-

Thanks for the encouragement.  My recent bikes >50 miles have come in at around 19mph w/ training tires, specialized elite.  I'll be racing michelin ironman tires though so they "should" be faster.  The course I train is about the same effort as the race course.  If I just stick to my training pace I'd be stoked!

My weekend plan:

45 minute spinerval

1-3 mile run

Detail my bike. Not much, but that's tapering.  Oh, and try not to over eat during my carbo load phase.

2008-05-24 8:31 AM

User image

Regular
Elkhorn

Hello -

Glad to see the talk about trainer vs outdoor. Because it is thunderstorms and wind all weekend long. Thus...my bike will be on the traine.

Duffers - awesome job on the swim breakthrough! I need to get to the pool this weekend.

My plans this weekend...ummm 4 hours of dance for my 5 year old each day:-) and a few workouts. Hoping to run for an hour on the treadmill during son's bball practice this morning then a indoor trainer ride later on in the day.

Later....

ctnord

2008-05-24 10:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
I am getting married today and then I will be out of the country all of next week so I will report once I am back in town.  To everyone else, keep on ripping it up in training and if anyone has any good advice please feel free to throw in your two cents. Laughing

2008-05-24 9:26 PM

New user

Bike question????

Is anyone else using a mountain bike. Unfortunately I bought a new bike just before deciding to do a tri so I am stuck with it. I've swapped out the tires, and that was a big improvement, but its hard work to pace at 18 mph. Has anyone swapped out gears? Im not that concerned about my time for my first tri, but wondering what everyone else is doing.

2008-05-26 9:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Bullskier,
It depends on how fast you want to be or whether you just want to give a sprint a chance. I don't know much about bikes, but I thought it didn't matter. I had a hybrid and figured since I was so overweight, a few extra lbs. of bike wouldn't matter, but they did.

Gat's
Have been thinking about you on your marathon this weekend. Hope it was inspiring!
2008-05-27 3:36 AM

User image

Regular
Hilo, Hawaii
Well, my weekend was quite an experience.  I went to work Friday morning and didn't get off until Sunday morning.  50 hours of fire fighting and EMS work.  Being a holiday weekend and high school graduation time, it was pretty busy.  Not a good time to be on the roads.  The paramedic who was supposed to come in for the Saturday shift called in sick.  Since it was a holiday weekend, no other paramedics wanted to work.  We can't just shut down ambulances, so I was stuck.  I almost had to work 72 hours, but fortunately someone came in Sunday morning.  I rested a bit then got in a quick bike and run.  I'm supposed to work tomorrow, but my body is still recovering so I'll probably stay home and rest.  I hope all of you had a better weekend.  On a side note, I did get to deliver a baby saturday morning.  It's been a couple years since I've done that.  Makes me appreciate my job.
2008-05-27 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Wow, all that and you got in a run!? You Rock!!

Got goosebumps just thinking about being at a birth!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gat's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 18