of 13

2008-06-26 9:13 AM
in reply to: #1372061

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Gnu's Group - CLOSED
Nichole, Thank you

AHHHH, you have compact cranks. I am not 100% the difference other than gearing differences. The BCD (Bolt Circle Diameter) is different on CC. Standard cranks take a 130MM BCD, CC take a 110MM BCD, so you may not be able to buy 53/39 for your cranks. You may want to check with your LBS and talk to them (and maybe some of the folks at this ride) about if a compact crank is right for you. I think that traditionally CC are used for people who cannot turn the bigger gears, which is probably NOT you. With a 50 up front, you will definitelly run out of gearing on downhills, and maybe even on some flats if the wind is at your back.

FYI... My new bike actally comes with brand new Ultegra cranks 172.5 length which I am going to be selling without them ever even being ridden, so if you decide to go with new cranks, let me know and I will figure out their value and give you a deal. They were literally installed, I looked at the bike last night (did not ride it), bought new cranks and they are installing them now. Why new cranks and not use those, because I am NUTS!!!!! Whole different issue.

As far as July 5th for Clermont, you are fine if you have a 36 up front. you will be running 36/23 (1.56), I will be running 39/28 (1.39), so you will actually be geared pretty close to me, so you will be fine.

Gnu

Edited by gremlin327 2008-06-26 9:28 AM

2008-06-26 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Some items from a quick google search. As always, the information gives you lots if information, but few real answers...

=============================================================
Expert: Sheldon Brown
Date: 2/3/2006
Subject: Compact cranks vs. "regular" cranks

Question
I'm thinking of changing from "regular"(53,39) cranks to compact(50,36). What are the benefits and or drawbacks to this move. I'm concerned that I won't be able to generate the same power when in the "big ring" for sprinting and long flats. I currently run 12-27 9 speed on the rear. Should I also plan on lowering that to... say an 11-23? To make up the difference?

Answer
The benefit is that you get lower gears for easier hill climbing.

If you then go to a smaller cassette, you throw away that benefit, and wind up spending a lot of money for nothing.

See also: http://sheldonbrown.com/gears

All the best,

Sheldon

===========================================================
Compact 50/34 vs 52/39 Crank

Any recommendations before choosing a compact 50/34 over a 52/39 crankset? I've always ridden a 52/39 crank with a 12/23 cassette. I'm a taller rider, average weight. I race road and do alot of climbing but also do a few triathlons per season. I've looked into the gearing ratios between both cranks and variations of cassettes. Are there any general rules advantages/disadvantages over choosing one crank over another? I hear the new thing is getting a compact crank but does it really matter?

Thanks for any input...

the disadvantages... Include the loss of top gear and one more cog to shift after every chainring shift, to make up for the large jump between the chainrings. Compacts are more often beneficial for the increasing number of older or less fit riders, who find that a 12-27 shimano cassette doesn't provide enough low gearing and don't want to change to a triple.

A 50/34 takes 6% from the top gear ratio and increases the low by 13%, for a net increase in range of 7%, which is slightly less than an average 8% 1-cog change.

You could of course, change to an 11-21 cassette and gain a tiny 3% on the top gear and reduce your low gear to the same as a 39/24 (also a small 4.4%). The cog shifting penalty remains the same.

Unless you need the lower gears, there's not much point. If you downsize your chain rings and your cassette, then the net result is the same gears and faster chain and cog wear with a little less weight. Your choice.

==========================================================
I switched to a FSA carbon pro 50/34 & use a 11/23 cassette.
Been running it since Oct 05 & like it a lot.
My 53/11 gives me a 122" gear which is larger than a 53/12 119" gear
My 34/23 gives me a 39.9" while a 39/25 gives a 42.1"
So I have a lower low & a higher high that a 53/39 running a 12/25 cassette. All my rides have considerable climbs & of course descents so it works well for me.
I dont notice any hassle of an extra shift when changing chainrings because .....well I don't I mean when I shift from the large ring to the small or vice versa I am most likely going to change one or two gears in the back anyway. Plus with ergo it is a mindless task anyway.

As for it being for older or less fit riders? I got the idea from Tyler Hamilton when he won Liege Baston Liege on a compact.
Since you said you do a lot of climbing I would give it a try & see what you think.
2008-06-26 6:30 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Thanks a ton for the insight. I will be doing some more research and may post on here. I would definitely be interested in buying yours. Let me know.

Well you decided to get the new ride. You can't do that and not post the details.
2008-06-26 7:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Well, the run down is this... I will get it next Tuesday, ride it 1 time before Clermont if I am lucky :-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

You will see it in Clermont. I rode the QR today, felt like I was cheating on it.

2008 Specialized Transition Expert, but I upgraded a few items.

FRAME Specialized FACT 7r N'Aero Carbon tube shaping, compact aero geometry, vertical seat adjustment

FORK Specialized FACT N'Aero Carbon fork, alloy 1" steerer

HEADSET Specialized Mindset Plus Carbon, 1" integrated threadless, cartridge sealed bearings, 10mm and two 5mm carbon spacers

STEM Specialized Pro-Set lightweight stem, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt 31.8mm bar clamp, 4-position adjustable (To be upgraded)

HANDLEBARS Zipp Vuka Aero Carbon (My upgrade)

FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Dura-Ace, braze-on clamp, bottom pull (My upgrade)

REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Dura-Ace, short cage

SHIFT LEVERS Shimano Dura-Ace, 10-speed bar ends

CASSETTE FREEWHEEL Dura-Ace, 10-speed 11-23t (My upgrade)
-However, the bike comes with a SRAM 11-28 which I will ride in Clermont and IMLP!

CHAIN Shimano Dura-Ace, 10-speed (My upgrade)

CRANKSET Zipp Vuma Quad Carbon with Ceramic BB (My upgrade)

CHAINRINGS 53x39T

PEDALS Look Keo Carbon Ti HM (My upgrade)

RIMS
Training - Mavic Kysrium Elite (My upgrade)
Racing - Zipp 404 OR Zipp 808 (My upgrade)

TIRES
Training - Continental Gatorskin 700X22 (My upgrade)
Racing - Continental Competition 700X22 (My upgrade)

SADDLE Body Geometry TriTip, super light foam, carbon reinforced base, hollow Ti rails, microfiber cover, 50mm nose width

SEAT POST Specialized Transition carbon, 2 position

:-) I am very excited

Edited by gremlin327 2008-06-26 7:13 PM
2008-06-26 7:21 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Well WOW just doesn't cut it. I can't even find an 08 Transition just to look at even more so ot buy. That is the bike that dreams are made of. The upgrades alone are awesome. I can't wait to see it. I have only seen pics of the frame and your cockpit.

The only thing left is to name him/her. But you are going to gave to spend some time in the saddle before you can do that.

Cannot wait till the 5th. Have to remember to bring my camera.

Congratulations on the new ride.

I am going to go spend some time with my little blue bike. I feel guilty for lusting for another bike.

Edited by triguynewbie 2008-06-26 7:22 PM
2008-06-26 7:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio
Not knowing much about a good vs. great vs. unbelievable bike, I would say yours sounds pretty unbelievable!  Pics when you get it!

2008-06-27 7:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Yeah, so I have been saving and waiting for 3 years to get THE bike, so I am very excited. It will be all of like 5 minutes faster in a 40k TT than my $450 2000 QR KILO, but hey, you only live once. I am very excited.

They are building the bike now, I get fit Monday, then they have to run the cables and do some finishing touches, so I pick it up Tuesday or Wednesday. Will post pics when I get it.

My last long ride on my 2005 QR Caliente will be Saturday, I actually feel bad (is that odd??). That bike has been so fast, I really do not know if this will make me faster, but all I can say is, I have no more excuses. I have bought all the speed that can be bought. It is all on me now :-)

Here is where I admit my stupidity... How do you paste a picture onto one of these blogs?? Copy/Paste does not work.
2008-06-27 7:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio
Gary I think on here the only way to do a pic is you have to first upload it to a hosting sight; you can easily create one at www.photobucket.com.  Then you click the little picture icon when you write your post and a pop-up appears asking for the picture's URL and a description.  That should do it!
2008-06-27 9:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Got it! Cool. here are the first 2. The Kilo was my $450 eBay purchase, nice bike but it was too small for me and had 650 wheels. The Caliente is the current bike, it is much faster. When I started I had an old Shogun, which I have converted to a single speed and still have (am sorta still converting).

See Nichole, once you start drinking the kool aid and fall in love with the bike as much as the rest of us, you can spend every paycheck you have in a bike shop :-)

Edited by gremlin327 2008-06-27 9:20 AM

(Kilo_1.jpg)

(Caliente_12.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Kilo_1.jpg (61KB - 20 downloads)
Caliente_12.jpg (83KB - 16 downloads)
2008-06-27 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
OK, now, let's get back to talking about Triathlons!
2008-06-27 1:53 PM

Southern California
Gary - that is an awesome bike you are getting. Let us know how it rides and feels compared to the QR. I'm sure your gonna love it.

2008-06-27 2:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

Nice pics but where's the specialized, silly!?  A coworker of mine that bike commutes was showing me his ride today, and I actually was like, "wow, that's a nice bike!" and I was all about checking out the components, so I'm getting there.  

He also tipped me off to the fact that I need a bike computer.  Again, my biking ignorance is apparent!  So I will make yet another stop to the LBS this weekend.   Hoping to get a good long ride in tomorrow but the weather has been t-stormy and crummy for weeks now! 

2008-06-27 3:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
yes, bike computers are extremelly important. You do not have to spend a ton of cash. A nice cateye for like $30 is all I used for years. So long as you can gauge speed and cadence.

Here is a pic of a Transition Expert from Specialized's website, I won;t get my bike until next Tuesday... Mine will be very similiar, with some different components.

(Transition Expert.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Transition Expert.jpg (34KB - 16 downloads)
2008-06-28 4:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

Very nice!  Be sure to show us pics w/ all the upgrades!

Things going well here.  Trying to ramp it up some as I'm only 3 weeks out from my race.  Eek.  Question:  how much taper is necessary for a sprint tri?

Also found out that my employer will pay entry fees if you do the Cleveland Triathlon!  I have been trying to get a team together to do a relay, but my first biker dropped out.  I have another biker that's contemplating.  But at this point I'm about ready to just race as an individual for the heck of it!  Why not, if someone else is footing the bill!  Problem is I don't feel confident to do the sprint, since the swim is 800m (isn't that kinda long for a sprint?) and bike is 16.  My 1st race is 400m swim and 12 mile bike; this race is just 2 weeks after.  So I could just do the supersprint for the experience, which would be cake (300y swim, 8mi bike, 1.5mile run).   

2008-06-28 4:58 PM
in reply to: #1495273

User image

Champion

gremlin327 - 2008-06-27 4:41 PM yes, bike computers are extremelly important. You do not have to spend a ton of cash. A nice cateye for like $30 is all I used for years. So long as you can gauge speed and cadence. Here is a pic of a Transition Expert from Specialized's website, I won;t get my bike until next Tuesday... Mine will be very similiar, with some different components.

*vrooom* 

Geez Gary.  Talk about plunking down some coin just to look better than me in Clermont. 

Very sweet ride.  Can't wait to check it out.

*vrooom*   (that's my drive-by posting sound

FYI, I'm riding my stock 53/39 with a 12-27 in the back.  Should offer enough low-end for the level of hills at Clermont.

2008-06-28 5:50 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Well I had a really good swim today. I have been waiting to type that for a long time. I really focused on form and just swam for distance and form over speed. Just doing that made a big difference in speed itself as I was going faster and faster. Got into a good rhythm which is pretty much my problem most of the time. It was an open water lake swim with the family and friends back on the shore.

It is only a 30 minute drive to the lake and I have an open invitation to use the lake house for swimming this summer so I am going to take advantage of this as much as possible. There is a fair amout of boat traffic so I wore a bright pink swim cap (kinda embarrassing).

I have a long ride brick run planned for tomorrow. I have been looking forward to it all week, it will be in the heat of the day. 1pm and should be between 40 and 50 miles maybe a little longer. We will see how the weather holds out. I am hoping to get a 30 to 45 minute run in after. And then a large heaping ice bath.

Nichole...I would love to come do the bike portion with you but the distance is a little far. You should definitely do it if you think you can make it. I am sure you will surprise yourself. You have been doing the training. Get out there and put it to good use.

And yes 800 yards is a little long for a sprint swim. But hey, if you don't push yourself you never know what you are capable of.

2008-06-28 8:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

It's great you had a good swim, and in open water no less!  Nice work!!  I swear that sometimes I surprise myself in the water, when I think I'm not going fast and concentrating on form, my time is usually just as good as when I perceive to be going "all out." 

I'm actually not really intimidated by the extra bike miles (amazingly enough, as much fighting as I've done on the bike!), but the swim is bothersome.  I did 600m straight this week, and could have kept going, but it was sloooow.  

So the question is:  do you pick the race that you know you have in the bag and do it just for the sake of putting another notch in your tri bedpost (work on transition, go through the race motions, etc), or do you take on the challenge and know that you certainly won't be bringing A game?  Of course it may be moot if I actually get a team together for the relay.

2008-06-28 11:22 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
The distance will be longer for you, so you will learn alot about yourself from that. Every race you do, you WILL learn something regardless of how small it may be. It will be good practice for a number of things.

Plus you don't have to pay the entry fee. Don't worry about being fast on the swim. I was so worried about that and it turns out the swim is a weak point for a lot of people so it all washes out in the end. Get through the swim and have fun. Everyone, including myself, worry so much about times that we forget to enjoy the competition and have fun.

If it doesn't risk your health in any way, race away.

Oh and can you get me some Browns tickets.

Edited by triguynewbie 2008-06-28 11:23 PM
2008-06-29 6:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
I agree 100% - GO FOR IT!. See, the funny thing about swimming is that if you can do 300 yards, you can do 800. It is getting past the panic in the beginning. It is free, it is fun, it is practice. I have found that every distance is hard, in it's own way. The same way a 5k hurts as much as a 1/2 marathon. You race at a different pace and a different intensity. After you crush this thing, your confidence is going to be through the roof! I have seen your logs, you are doing plenty to get through this race.
2008-06-29 6:52 AM
in reply to: #1496457

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
CubeFarmGopher - 2008-06-28 5:58 PM

Geez Gary.  Talk about plunking down some coin just to look better than me in Clermont. 

Very sweet ride.  Can't wait to check it out.

*vrooom*   (that's my drive-by posting sound

FYI, I'm riding my stock 53/39 with a 12-27 in the back.  Should offer enough low-end for the level of hills at Clermont.

At the end of the day, it is still the engine that matters. You know how you can make me look like a fool, crush me in Clermont :-) The bike will be fun, but I really cannot imagine I will be that much faster than on my QR, that bike has been a rocketship. It will be a few pounds lighter, which will help. However, at the end of the day, the bike means nothing if the legs ain't got the juice!

You ae not going to be all jet lagged and tired on me after your little run up a Squaw Valley and back down. HOLY COW!!!! I've skiied Squaw, wouldn;t want to run it. You are a nut!
2008-06-29 8:02 AM
in reply to: #1496868

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

True, I know I could finish.  It just won't be very pretty.  It's a BIIIIG race too, lost of entrants.  I just didn't want to do the sprint and get all psyched out.  Guess I'll see what happens w/ the relay and go from there. 

triguynewbie - 2008-06-29 12:22 AM Oh and can you get me some Browns tickets.

My brother is on the fence of buying season tickets so I need to keep egging him on to just do it.  Because I want good tix but can't afford the PSL, so I'd just buy games off of him.   I'll keep you in mind; of course I'll even cut my surcharge rates for a fellow triathlete.

2008-06-29 12:40 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Well, I know you are a little north of Buckeye country so don't know if you are a fan but I happen to have 6 awesome tickets to the Michigan game this year. Although I am thinking of selling them for some extra cash to buy some tri gear. I have just as much fun sitting outside watching the game on the giant video screen and getting hammeredto know everyone.
2008-06-29 2:26 PM
in reply to: #1497233

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

triguynewbie - 2008-06-29 1:40 PM Well, I know you are a little north of Buckeye country so don't know if you are a fan but I happen to have 6 awesome tickets to the Michigan game this year. Although I am thinking of selling them for some extra cash to buy some tri gear. I have just as much fun sitting outside watching the game on the giant video screen and getting hammeredto know everyone.

I lived in C-bus for a year, so I think that makes me a fan by default.  (Although I admit to being a huge pro football fan and not so much the college fan).  Never have done a Michigan game but my older bro does every year.  You mean people DRINK at that game?!  A lot?!  Noooooo, I never would have thought....

I totally bagged my run today.  Couldn't get out of bed (yes I slacked and "slept in" until 7:15) and its been threatening t-storms for what feels like weeks.  But I meandered around the zoo for 3 hours with the kids... that counts, right?

2008-06-29 8:31 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Heck yeah that counts. I almost put a day of carrying at least one of my three children through Disney in my training logs. I was supposed to go on a long ride today before meeting up with Gnu next weekend for a hilly 56 miler. The weather did not cooperate. It was scorching hot after church so I was going to wait till around 3:00 when it started pouring and didn't let up till around 7:00. So it is now 9:30 and I have done nothing but about 30 minutes of core for the day. My wife says I can go swim. The security guard at the pool leaves at 10:00 so I am going there soon after. Hopefully I can muster enough will power to run after my swim.

I feel like such a slacker but life keeps getting in the way. Stupid job.

Oh well, you have to do a Michigan game. Two years ago was amazing. I am born and raised in Florida so 30 degrees is SSSoooo freaking cold to me. But as soon as the game started, and the hot totties were being passed I forgot all about it. There had to be over a million people on campus for the game. It was awesome. Man do they hate Michigan there.

Edited by triguynewbie 2008-06-29 8:32 PM
2008-07-01 7:16 AM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
I am back to the land of the injured. I have dealt with a hip injury since I dislocated it two years ago. It is usually just sore but sometimes hurts pretty bad. I did a long bike ride a few days ago and it felt fine. It was a little sore afterwards but nothing major.

Then of all things I hurt it while swimming. Not even sure how that happened but now it is pretty sore. I ran last night and felt like I was crawling along taking short steps just trying to stretch it out a little.

I think I am going to rest it for this weekend even though I wanted to get a longer ride in before then.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gnu's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 13