Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2009-01-14 8:38 AM
in reply to: #1857242

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Good mental training article
Hey team,

Here is just one of the mental training articles included in the main link I provided a couple of days ago. It was written by Bobby McGee, who is an internationally acclaimed endurance coach.

It covers some of the items we have discussed...

Head Over Heals - Mental Floss for Endurance Athletes.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Let me know your thoughts!

Tony

2009-01-14 2:27 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: tribesman's group - FULL
Stay warm to those training this afternoon/evening! I am sticking to my "lukewarm" basement in the morning for weights and core

Tony
2009-01-14 6:56 PM
in reply to: #1885539

User image

Veteran
Georgia
natebs - 2009-01-04 3:45 PM

Here is a great recipe for peanut butter granola bars. Inspired by Robin Hood  home baking book.

Preheat oven to 325F (160 C)

8 inch (2L) square cake pan, greased. Note: We double the following recipe, which you would use a long rectangular pan instead. Temperature remains the same.

Crust:

1/2 cup Robin Hood All-Purpose or Whole Wheat Flour                                     125ml

1/2 cup Robin Hood or Old Mill Oats                                                                   125ml

3 tbsp  packed brown sugar                                                                                45ml

1/4 tsp baking powder                                                                                           1ml

3  tbsp  butter, melted                                                                                         45ml

Topping:

1/4 cup butter, melted                                                                                           50ml

2 tbsp  packed brown sugar                                                                                  30ml

2 tbsp honey                                                                                                         30ml

1/2 cup Robin Hood or Old Mill Oats                                                                     125ml

1/2 cup finely chopped nuts                                                                                 125ml

1/3 cup  flaked coconut                                                                                          75ml

1/4 cup  sunflower seeds                                                                                       50ml

1/4 cup raisins                                                                                                        50ml

1. Crust: Combine flour, oats, brown sugar and baking powder  in a medium bowl. Add melted butter. Mix Well. Press firmly into a prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden at edges and set.

2. Topping: Combine melted butter, brown sugar and honey in a medium bowl. Stir until well blended. Add oats, nuts, coconut, sunflower seeds and raisins. Mix well. Spread mixture over crust. Press down gently.

3. Bake for 15-20 minutes longer or until golden and set. Cool completely in pan on rack, then cut into bars.

Variations

Use any nuts you have on hand or a combination of them. Just be sure they are finely chopped to make cutting the bars easier. We actually omit them completely if we don't have them on hand.

We also use peanut butter in this recipe in both the crust and topping.(this is a must in my opinion)

Replace the raisins with dried cranberries, chopped pitted dates or chopped dried apricots. 

enjoy

NATE!  This recipe ROCKS!  Made my first batch yesterday.  Doubled everything but the brown sugar in the crust and did not use any brown sugar in the topping.  (Hersey's Dark Chocolate chips insted, hmmmm!).  You are right, the peanut butter is a must! 

In case you didn't catch it in an earlier post, I was Tony's protege a couple of years ago.  Now I just lurk on his mentor group to find out what I didn't hear the first time round.

Craig 

2009-01-14 10:57 PM

User image

Georgia Tech
Does anybody have any info/research about eating at night before going to sleep? It's a common problem for me and I'm trying to figure out how I should handle it. Any thoughts?
2009-01-15 4:49 AM
in reply to: #1908768

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville

Nate: When you say its a problem do you mean that you shouldn't ewat at night or do you mean you are not hungry at night?

Tony: I have a question too..earier Tony you said when you visualize in a big open water start you picture long strokes and you DRAFTING off the guy in front of you...can you explain how drafting in swimming works?  (Sorry this is off topic but if i don't ask I will forget to ask later)

2009-01-15 11:39 AM

User image

Georgia Tech
I mean a lot of times at night before I go to sleep I'm hungry and am not sure whether to eat a snack, meal, or nothing. 

2009-01-15 12:07 PM
in reply to: #1908768

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: post dinner eating
theiframe - 2009-01-14 11:57 PM

Does anybody have any info/research about eating at night before going to sleep? It's a common problem for me and I'm trying to figure out how I should handle it. Any thoughts?

Ian,

If you are hungry, I say eat! I have found that the best post-dinner snack is something light like yogart, fruit, or maybe a handful of almonds. My doctor tells me the have at least a two hour gap between dinner and when I lay down to sleep, most to ensure I digest the food properly. A small snack is OK though and I wash it down with a glass of water. I find I do not sleep well if I am hungry too.

Make sense?

Tony

Edited by tribesman 2009-01-15 12:35 PM
2009-01-15 2:05 PM
in reply to: #1909831

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: post dinner eating

Same here, but eat healthy.

I almost always have a healthy choice bar before going to sleep (or within an hour of it) and a tall glass of water.  It seems to keep my metabolism going through the night as I always seem to notice a weight drop (assuming I didn't overdo it during the day) the next day.  And I sleep well as I'm not hungry.

2009-01-15 2:08 PM
in reply to: #1910254

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Go See a Nurtritionist

If you are looking to lose weight or ensure you are eating correctly, I can't recommend highly enough going to a nutritionist/dietician (sports-specific if possible).  The cost is minimal (likely $100-$150) and you will save time and stress figuring out what to eat.

I battled for years trying to lose 10 pounds (those last 10 pounds...) through heavy workouts, protein-rich diets, etc. and nothing worked.  I saw a nutritionist and within 2 months dropped 14 pounds, and kept them off, without having to do any starvation or change my workouts.  Once you are past 30 or so, what you eat is probably 80% of what contributes to weight (anecdotal evidence).

Edited by Steve Mark 2009-01-15 2:09 PM
2009-01-15 2:12 PM
in reply to: #1885539

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA
natebs - 2009-01-04 1:45 PM

Here is a great recipe for peanut butter granola bars. Inspired by Robin Hood  home baking book.

Preheat oven to 325F (160 C)

8 inch (2L) square cake pan, greased. Note: We double the following recipe, which you would use a long rectangular pan instead. Temperature remains the same.

Crust:

1/2 cup Robin Hood All-Purpose or Whole Wheat Flour                                     125ml

1/2 cup Robin Hood or Old Mill Oats                                                                   125ml

3 tbsp  packed brown sugar                                                                                45ml

1/4 tsp baking powder                                                                                           1ml

3  tbsp  butter, melted                                                                                         45ml

Topping:

1/4 cup butter, melted                                                                                           50ml

2 tbsp  packed brown sugar                                                                                  30ml

2 tbsp honey                                                                                                         30ml

1/2 cup Robin Hood or Old Mill Oats                                                                     125ml

1/2 cup finely chopped nuts                                                                                 125ml

1/3 cup  flaked coconut                                                                                          75ml

1/4 cup  sunflower seeds                                                                                       50ml

1/4 cup raisins                                                                                                        50ml

1. Crust: Combine flour, oats, brown sugar and baking powder  in a medium bowl. Add melted butter. Mix Well. Press firmly into a prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden at edges and set.

2. Topping: Combine melted butter, brown sugar and honey in a medium bowl. Stir until well blended. Add oats, nuts, coconut, sunflower seeds and raisins. Mix well. Spread mixture over crust. Press down gently.

3. Bake for 15-20 minutes longer or until golden and set. Cool completely in pan on rack, then cut into bars.

Variations

Use any nuts you have on hand or a combination of them. Just be sure they are finely chopped to make cutting the bars easier. We actually omit them completely if we don't have them on hand.

We also use peanut butter in this recipe in both the crust and topping.(this is a must in my opinion)

Replace the raisins with dried cranberries, chopped pitted dates or chopped dried apricots. 

enjoy

Nate - looks good.  Is there anything (other than soy) that I could use to replace the oats?  Oats tend not to agree with me.  Rice maybe?

2009-01-15 4:06 PM
in reply to: #1908884

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: drafting on the swim
afrutoz - 2009-01-15 5:49 AM

Nate: When you say its a problem do you mean that you shouldn't ewat at night or do you mean you are not hungry at night?

Tony: I have a question too..earier Tony you said when you visualize in a big open water start you picture long strokes and you DRAFTING off the guy in front of you...can you explain how drafting in swimming works?  (Sorry this is off topic but if i don't ask I will forget to ask later)

Alison,

When one drafts while in the water you are swimming very close to the swimmer in front of you but not actually touching that persons feet. I try and "follow the bubbles" in that I am in their wake or the bubble trail. You are expending less energy, thus saving it for the bike and run portions of the race. What I do it find a swimmer who is just a bit faster than me and stay directly behind him or her, even if he or she is just slightly off my intended path. Why? I find I typically maintain their speed/pace as I am utilizing their "pull" to make me a bit faster. If I find I am touching his or her feet, I swim basically on their hip for a draft also, then pass them. Once I pass the athlete, I find another swimmer and keep doing this until I am about 50 yards from the shore.

This works as I did just a "decent" job of drafting during my last HIM/70.3 and set a PR for the 1.2 mile swim. I did it for a point to point Oly (Olympic distance) swim and found I passed over 15-20 people. I did feel fresher on the bike too for both races.

Does this make sense? Has anyone tried this?

Tony

Edited by tribesman 2009-01-15 4:08 PM

2009-01-15 6:23 PM
in reply to: #1887771

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Trainer Mileage
Received and installed a CatEye V3 last night (eBay $125) and it's great!  Totally replaced my Polar HRM on the bike, and now I can get mileage and speed on the trainer or on the road.
2009-01-15 6:25 PM
in reply to: #1910544

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: drafting on the swim
tribesman - 2009-01-15 2:06 PM

This works as I did just a "decent" job of drafting during my last HIM/70.3 and set a PR for the 1.2 mile swim. I did it for a point to point Oly (Olympic distance) swim and found I passed over 15-20 people. I did feel fresher on the bike too for both races. Does this make sense? Has anyone tried this? Tony

Very cool!  I like the bubbles tip - easy to use in the pool, didn't think about using it in open water.

2009-01-16 9:22 AM
in reply to: #1910261

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Go See a Nurtritionist
Steve Mark - 2009-01-15 3:08 PM

If you are looking to lose weight or ensure you are eating correctly, I can't recommend highly enough going to a nutritionist/dietician (sports-specific if possible).  The cost is minimal (likely $100-$150) and you will save time and stress figuring out what to eat.

I battled for years trying to lose 10 pounds (those last 10 pounds...) through heavy workouts, protein-rich diets, etc. and nothing worked.  I saw a nutritionist and within 2 months dropped 14 pounds, and kept them off, without having to do any starvation or change my workouts.  Once you are past 30 or so, what you eat is probably 80% of what contributes to weight (anecdotal evidence).

Steve,

Visiting a nutritionist is something I am definately considering for 2009. Believe it or not, it was a limiter for me in 2008 and I thought I did pretty well with it...

Thanks,
Tony
2009-01-16 12:16 PM
in reply to: #1910792

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Steve Mark - 2009-01-15 7:23 PM

Received and installed a CatEye V3 last night (eBay $125) and it's great!  Totally replaced my Polar HRM on the bike, and now I can get mileage and speed on the trainer or on the road.

Steve,

This is excellent and something I might consider even more! We will be looking for the mileage and speed in your logs

Thanks,
Tony
2009-01-16 12:37 PM
in reply to: #1908356

Expert
Atlanta, GA
craignmcd - 2009-01-14 7:56 PM
In case you didn't catch it in an earlier post, I was Tony's protege a couple of years ago.  Now I just lurk on his mentor group to find out what I didn't hear the first time round.

Craig 

Craig,

It's all in the details, right?

Tony

2009-01-16 12:46 PM
in reply to: #1912389

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA

tribesman - 2009-01-16 10:16 AM
Steve Mark - 2009-01-15 7:23 PM Received and installed a CatEye V3 last night (eBay $125) and it's great!  Totally replaced my Polar HRM on the bike, and now I can get mileage and speed on the trainer or on the road.
Steve, This is excellent and something I might consider even more! We will be looking for the mileage and speed in your logs Thanks, Tony

Forgot to add that it also reports cadence, which is great as I'm working to maintain 90+ in most all workouts.

2009-01-16 12:48 PM
in reply to: #1910544

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: drafting on the swim
tribesman - 2009-01-15 2:06 PM

Alison, When one drafts while in the water you are swimming very close to the swimmer in front of you but not actually touching that persons feet. I try and "follow the bubbles" in that I am in their wake or the bubble trail. You are expending less energy, thus saving it for the bike and run portions of the race. What I do it find a swimmer who is just a bit faster than me and stay directly behind him or her, even if he or she is just slightly off my intended path. Why? I find I typically maintain their speed/pace as I am utilizing their "pull" to make me a bit faster. If I find I am touching his or her feet, I swim basically on their hip for a draft also, then pass them. Once I pass the athlete, I find another swimmer and keep doing this until I am about 50 yards from the shore. This works as I did just a "decent" job of drafting during my last HIM/70.3 and set a PR for the 1.2 mile swim. I did it for a point to point Oly (Olympic distance) swim and found I passed over 15-20 people. I did feel fresher on the bike too for both races. Does this make sense? Has anyone tried this? Tony

I've done it a couple of times.  One time swimming in I was trying to pass two guys swimming next to each other and had a flash of inspiration: I just drafted behind the two of them.  Certainly seemed easier.

2009-01-16 3:49 PM
in reply to: #1898439

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Topic of the Week - Mental training
Steve Mark - 2009-01-09 4:44 PM

Mental training would be a good topic.  I'm still trying to figure out how I'm able to do this, and training is getting hard enough that I'm starting to have negative thoughts.  I just ordered the book, sounds like an interesting read.

Steve,

Did you get the book yet? Let us know what you think!

Tony
2009-01-16 3:50 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Team,

Stay warm and please be smart out there! We are still early in the season...

Thanks and keep up the great work! Have a great weekend.

Tony
2009-01-16 3:56 PM

User image

Georgia Tech

Just in case any of you guys didn't catch this on one of the other boards, here is a link to the 2008 nbc broadcast of kona. Enjoy!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/52585/ford-ironman-world-championship-2008-ironman-world-championships?c=Sports

2009-01-17 6:47 AM
in reply to: #1912966

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Kona- IM World Championships
theiframe - 2009-01-16 4:56 PM

Just in case any of you guys didn't catch this on one of the other boards, here is a link to the 2008 nbc broadcast of kona. Enjoy!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/52585/ford-ironman-world-championship-2008-ironman-world-championships?c=Sports

Thanks Ian! I have seen it but will definately check it out again...I recommend it!

Tony
2009-01-17 9:46 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Hey gang,

I want to share some good news regarding one of our team members. Ian (theiframe) had a great race last month at the Virginia Highlands Christmas 5k. He went 19:59! Way to go Ian!

Ian, I look forward to chasing you at the ING half marathon and still finishing about 5 minutes behind you

Team, I encourage you all to let us know when one of your races is approaching so we can help support you even more and DEFINATELY share the results with us.

How's everyone's training going this weekend? I attended a "trainer party" with my coach and fellow team members and met Sandy (swise) there! It was a fun, productive session. I like group sessions.

Tony

Edited by tribesman 2009-01-17 9:47 PM
2009-01-17 11:04 PM
in reply to: #1914487

User image

Georgia Tech

tribesman - 2009-01-17 10:46 PM  I attended a "trainer party" with my coach and fellow team members and met Sandy (swise) there! It was a fun, productive session. I like group sessions. Tony

Was this just an informal get together? I hate spinning classes mostly because I can't use my own bike. I haven't heard of any gyms that allow you to bring your own bike and trainer for a training session. 

2009-01-17 11:07 PM
in reply to: #1914487

User image

Georgia Tech

tribesman - 2009-01-17 10:46 PM Hey gang, I want to share some good news regarding one of our team members. Ian (theiframe) had a great race last month at the Virginia Highlands Christmas 5k. He went 19:59! Way to go Ian! Ian, I look forward to chasing you at the ING half marathon and still finishing about 5 minutes behind you  Tony

Ha thanks Tony! But I will not be able to keep that pace for 13.1 miles. My goal is to run sub 1:40. Where are you shooting for? Is anybody else running this race? It'd be a great place to meet and greet. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tribesman's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 17