BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tribesman's group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2008-12-16 3:53 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: tribesman's group - FULL
NAME: tribesman / Tony

STORY: I have always wanted to do a triathlon and decided during the summer of 2004 that I would train for and complete my first. Using a sprint plan from BT, I did just that. I learned as much as I could about tri via BT and other resources and gradually moved up to the Oly and half iron distances. Last year, I fullfilled a life-long dream of completing the Ironman (and repeated this year too!)

FAMILY STATUS: single

CURRENT TRAINING: I have a coach (Marvarnett / Dan) who has helped me tremendously over the last year. I exceed expectations at many races and proved to myself that I could do beyond what I imagined. I am currently in a base-building phase and preparing for 2009.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This year I did a time trial on the bike (3rd Overall), a half marathon (with a 1:38 PR) several sprint tris and an Olympic distance race, where I qualified for the Age Group National Championships. I completed 2 half iron distance races (Gulf Coast Triathlon and SC Half) set a 4:56 PR and earned a HalfMax National Championship spot at the latter. I finished off my season with Ironman Florida. (I also just completed the Navy SEAL fitness challenge and earned the brown shirt) 2009 RACES: This year I plan to do more sprints and Olys, and truly focus on the half iron distance.

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost over 30 pounds while training for triathlon, and have kept if off!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I am passionate about this sport. I continue to learn as much as possible from many different sources as I feel it makes me a better triathlete and mentor. I truly enjoy helping others, whether they be a complete newbie to multi-sport or a seasoned veteran. Here at BT, I will do my best to guide my group and facilitate conversations.

Edited by tribesman 2008-12-27 8:42 AM

2008-12-18 1:42 PM
in reply to: #1857242

New user

Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: tribesman's group - OPEN

tribesman -

First of all, thanks for offering your time and experiences with the rest of us.  I think that your mentor group would be a good fit for me.

NAME: ablemonkey / Jerry

STORY: Throughout highschool I was a serious cross country and road race runner, averaging about a 17-18 minute 5k. I'd always dreamed of running half marathons, full marathons and triathlons. Once I started working, training fell by the wayside. This year I finally decided to get back to my athleticism and I signed up for, trained for and 'ran' the Atlanta Half Marathon on Thanksgiving day. With that under my belt, I'm ready to start training for a tri.

FAMILY STATUS: Engaged to the most wonderfully supportive and understanding woman in the world (and she's beautiful to boot).

CURRENT TRAINING: I spent 3 months getting ready for the ATL half marathon and my goal was to finish. I finished but it took me about 3 hours. I've never learned how to swim, I can doggy paddle but that's about it. I'm currently working through the Total Immersion book by Terry Laughlin and I'm already feeling very confident about the swim, which was the part that terrified me the most.

THIS YEAR'S RACE: Atlanta half marathon - 3:08 (but I finished

2009 RACES: Several sprint Triathlons in the Tri The Parks Series
 I would also like to run a very beginner friendly "My Next Tri" here in Georgia.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost about 30 lbs. so far, but I have another 35 to go.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I thrive on positive feedback. I get so excited about what I'm doing that if I don't have others that are passionate about the same things I feel a little let down. I work hard and love to provide inspiration to others.

So, that's probably enough about me. Do you think I can have a spot in your program?

Cheers!

ablemonkey
http://www.ablemonkey.net

2008-12-18 1:43 PM

New user

Atlanta, GA
Wow, I just realized you are in Atlanta too. Small world.
2008-12-18 4:29 PM
in reply to: #1861616

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Jerry,

Hello and welcome to the group! I am glad you joined because we are not only going to have great conversations and cover a variety of topics, but we are going to have a lot of FUN along the way too! Triathlon is such a great sport with a lot of positive individuals. I think it is neat that you are in Atlanta as we will likely see each other at some of the Tri the Parks races you plan to "tri" too.

I see that you mention T.I. That is actually how I taught myself to swim and I utilzed the CD. If you can get your hands on it, I suspect it would assist you greatly too. (I am a visual learner)

I look forward to our conversations and welcome to the group! Just as a pulse-check, about how often do you think you will be on BT?

We will be in touch soon!

Tony
2008-12-18 7:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
I would love to join your group!!

Name: Sandy

Story: I am a mother of two who works full time - who is married to a high school teacher/coach (football in the fall /basketball in the winter). In Fall of 2007 we were having dinner with some friends and the husband was telling of the 70.3 he had done and I got completely interested. Having never even contemplated a triathlon I sat there and thought, if he can do it so can I. I set a list of goals, some short term and some long. My 2008 long term goals were to do a sprint and an olympic. I live in a wonderful community and through happenstance have made some riding / tri buddies that helped me get through 4 sprint and 2 olympic races last year. I loved it. Things have really slacked off since September with cycling. I ran my first half mary on Thanksgiving. At this point I am still getting the courage to set my schedule for 2009. I know I want to do a 70.3 but still determining if I want to buckle down off for spring, wait for fall, or do both. For the people I know that do this wonderful sport I am the slow one. My goals are just that - my goals. I am hoping to gain some speed and set new PR for Oly and Sprint - but I mainly want to complete a 70.3 and enjoy some of the other local races again that I did last year.

Family status: married w/2 monkeys.

Current training: since my half mary on Thanksgiving I have been in the pool once. I think I hit the point of being burnt out and needed these past few weeks to soak in the holidays and to keep my sanity with everything that the holidays entail. I am trying to mentally gear myself back into training - which is why I like being in a group such as this one. That whole accountability aspect helps me.

This years races: Still determining. On the "long" list: ING 1/2 mary, John Tanner, PTC Inter'l (?), Gulf Coast (?), West Point Oly, Iron Girl, PT 10K, PTC Sprint, Acworth, Tugaloo, Winnersville Sprint, Augusta.

Weightloss: I am blessed to be at a weight that I am happy with.

Why I want to be in this group: I would like to be in this group because you have a strong interest/experience in my goal distance and I would like to draw upon that.

2008-12-18 8:18 PM

New user

Atlanta, GA

Tony,

To answer your question; I plan on visiting the site daily. I'm going to be using it to track my nutrition and my workouts. So, probably several times a day.

2008-12-18 9:15 PM
in reply to: #1862336

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Sandy,

Welcome to the group and it is great to see another Georgian! I too am trying to finalize my 2009 schedule and set goals. I enjoy the 70.3 race and have heard it called the "perfect distance". It is a great test of fitness and is very rewarding. We will discuss this along the way.

It sounds like we will be doing some of the same races too!

Let's see if we get a few more group members and we will jump into some great discussions.

"See" you soon!

Tony
2008-12-18 10:33 PM

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA

tribesman -

Thanks for opening yourself up for this.

NAME: Steve Mark

STORY: Joined LLS/TNT last year (2008) for the Malibu Sprint Tri in September.  Ended-up doing 2 sprints before that another in October (Day at the Beach), in additon to a 5k and a Muddy Buddy.  Loved them all. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 kids.  I'm pretty much on my own support and training-wise.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently rebuilding strength with weights (AA and AB phases) and learning Total Immersion swimming.  I have a runner's knee that I'm nursing and ITBS, so I hope to start going longer on the run and bike once those heal up (I'm following some PT advice on stretching and strengthening).

THIS YEAR'S RACE:

2009 RACES: Solvang 100 bike in March (may quit this one), Wildflower Oly in May, Vineman 70.3 in July.

WEIGHTLOSS: Nothing major - I actually gained 5 pounds in the 2008 season.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I thrive on positive feedback and like having someone to run ideas by and who can suggest things for me to try.   It helps to have someone looking over my shoulder and keep me on the path, too.  I'm hooked on the sport and likely will become a TNT mentor in May.

You sound like a good fit for me and I would love to be in the group.

2008-12-18 11:33 PM

Is this still open?? I would like to join....

Name: Ryan

Story: I am 18, Ran cross country in highschool, loved it, low 17's 5k. I could not find a college to run for and I have moved quite a bit. I am in the closest thing I have ever known to home (for two weeks now). I bought a road bike (Fuji Newest 3) during this passed track season and blew track off for it. I moved to SC the day after I got my diploma, did a semester of college and my family moves back. My g/f's father is starting to train for a sprint tri and wants me to swim and cycle with him. It sounds like a challenge and for me the next big challange.

Family: Single, Been with my girlfriend for 2 and 1/2 years. I can see it going further and want it to, but no ring will happen until after college.

Current Training: I have a 25 mile a week base. I ride once or twice a week. actually my training is sporratic b/c of the weather since I moved home (only been home for two weeks) I do not like thinking of it training. I need the dopamine rush. I get cranky if I do not excercise. I have access to a pool and will start swimming once the semester starts.

This Year's Races: Starting after highschool, I did a 5k ran 18:12. That's the only thing timed I have done. I did do 10k time trials for fun and I rode just shy of a century on more than one occasion.

09 races: Training started last week to up my base to run a half marathon on 1/24 and a 15k too on 2/7 at the SLTC Frostbite. Then I want to compete in the st. Louis Half and run under 90 min. or do the relay instead and finish high (depends on if I can get a competitive team). A couple of cycling rides, a century ride in springfield in may. Then I want to finish the ironabe strong on 7/24

this will be my first tri.... I have not the slightest clue of anything swimming and I am lacking a little in cycling.

2008-12-19 5:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
It is so great to see such a diversity of experience in this group.

I know we are still gearing up -- but I have a question to start off with. I have been on BT for a year now and still haven't up'd my membership. I need to settle down on a game plan and wanted to know what you guys thought about upgrading to silver or gold and following the BT training plans v. other training plans out there. I have looked on line at some of the personal coaching options but don't know how much I can commit financially (given the cost of events...) And/or - even if don't follow BT training plans, still upgrading to utilize the added features that silver/gold provide.

For 2008 I bought a couple books and "winged it" a bit - which I think is no big deal for Sprint and Oly distances but would be pretty stupid for a 70.3.

Any insight / recommendations would be really appreciated.

2008-12-19 7:27 AM

User image

Georgia Tech

NAME: Ian

STORY: I got into triathlons in the beginning of this year when I roommate said he wanted to train for one. 2 months later after finishing my first sprint triathlon, I was hooked. Since then I've completed another sprint and olympic triathlon and have been improving my running endurance as well and absolutely love it!

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently doing unscheduled maintenance work and when I come back from vacation in January will adhere to an olympic distance plan for four months and will then switch to a HIM plan for my first 70.3 in September!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I completed the Carrollton Sprint Triathlon, Tri2Remember, and Hickory Knob International Triathlon. I also ran several 5ks, a 10k, and a 10 miler this year.

2009 RACES: This year I plan to do a few sprints and olympic distances but my biggest race of the year that I'm training for is Augusta 70.3 which will be my first HIM. 

I'm really excited about joining this group especially having a few other Atlanta area people here! 

2008-12-19 8:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi, looks like your still open so please add me to your list. I`m at work so I will post more later
2008-12-19 10:56 AM

User image

I would love a spot in your group, I hope you have room for me! My name is Kevin and I have making a conscious decision this year to change my life and complete at least one Triathlon in 2009 and run the Columbus Marathon in 2009 (I am planning to do more than that).  I have begun a training plan and begun learning to swim, until recently I could only float on my back with a slow forward propulsion. My swim progress is not as fast as I would like  but I keep plugging  along. I bought  a road bike with some aero bars recently, and have done some road riding before the weather took a turn. I've always done some running ever since I was a teenager, and managed to work up to 13.5 miles a couple years back before my father passed and I lost inspiration. I did manage to run my first race since I was a teen back in sepember a 5K with little preparation and did it in 27 minutes. Less than a month later I ran a "practice" Tri at my not so local YMCA where I belong.  One half mile in the pool (most of it was done on my back), then 15 miles on an exercise bike before going outside and running 3.14 miles. I managed to complete it in 1 hour and 57 minutes. That included changing time in the locker room.  The only things I'm missing is a training partner, accountability and guidance, I'm hoping to get the guidance and accountability from the mentor group. I'm still looking for a training partner.  I am hoping to get back to training at full steam after the first of the year since I am going to be out of town until then, although I am planning to stay very active in Florida. I have put a couple pounds back on in the last month, I plan on coming back from Florida at a lighter weight. I dont know how much swimming I'll do , but I am planning to do some running on the beach. My wife if trying to lose weight so we made a pack to get up every morning and go down to the beach.      

Training: I am currently following the 12 week couch to tri plan, that will probably change when I get back from Florida.

Vitals: Married male 42 y/o.  I'm a Licenced Practical Nurse in East Liberty, Ohio. With a background as a auto technician, and changing my career path back to the automotive industry. I've lost almost 20 pounds since last March and within 3 pounds on the heavy side of my goal weight. Fortunately no medication or health concerns or physical injuries to hinder me. I'm hoping by training for triathlons to keep it that way.

Diet: It's my biggest downfall I do follow a plan  on Sparkpeople.com, although I have not been logging my food as religiously as I should due to laziness and just preparing for our trip. When I get back I will get back to do all the things that have gotten me where I am.  Calories-2280-2630 Protein-63-221 Carbohydrates-285-411 Fats-56-98 (I was trying to keep my fats below 75 per day).

Goals: Complete at least one sprint in 1hr 30 or less and Olympic distance Tri in 2009, run the Columbus Marathon in Oct 09 hopefully in 3hr 45 or less, looking towards Savanna HIM in Sept 09 as a possiblility depending on where my training is by my first Tri in May . Long term Complete a HIM and qualify for the Boston Marathon, if I can manage to meet all those goals then I would consider attempting a full IM.

What would make me a good mentee? I have no real experience training so  I am open minded to any advise you have. I will follow any instruction you give to the best of my ability without complaint. I will do my best to help motivate others when needed, and I will not disappoint you! I will meet my goals.

Edited by mountainbiker 2008-12-19 11:14 AM
2008-12-19 11:55 AM

New user

Name: Viggen/ Jarrod

Story: Been an avid mountain biker for year. Im not training for a full tri but only the bike leg as I will be doing the events relay style. I am looking for advise on cycling workouts and tips. Im hoping that you all will help me out with that. Ran track, middle distance, mostly hurdles actually, in high school and played (still) soccer but am only interested in the cycling part.

Family Status: Single, with gf

Current Training: Ride but nothing regular. Trying to figure out the whole heart rate/ threshold thing right now so I can, hopefully with some help, find a good plan to wipe me into shape. Shouldnt be too hard...hopefully

This Years Races: None! This will be my first season

Weightloss: I cant afford to. Im 6'2-3" and somewhere around 150-160. I eat like crazy but have a metabolism that is insane. I am working on resistance training to build strength rather that weight.

Hopefully you all can donate some good advise on bike specific workouts. Im starting with sprint distances and then my team will hopefully grow in distance.

2008-12-19 1:26 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: tribesman's group - FULL
Hello Gang!

Glad to see such a nice diverse group! I will be back online later but want to say hello...

Tony
2008-12-19 1:46 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Hey guys & Tony,

If it's ok with you, I may drop in from time to time.  Don't be afraid to ask questions.  There is truly no stupid question in a mentor group.  The best way to learn is to learn from each other. 

Also, don't be afraid to verify information.  If your buddy said, "X".  Ask it on here.

Best of luck in 2009!

2008-12-19 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville

Hi,

I hope you have room for me too!  I am in the ATL area as well.

Name:  Alison Frutoz

Family status: Busy married lawyer with 2 small kids.

Current Training: Base for the off season working with Chris Zimmer of the Sports Factory..I have a LONG way to go..

This Year:  As a dare did a local sprint called sweetwater just to see if I could finish it.  I was really worried about being able to finish the 5k and I was really scared to ride my hybrid on a road with cars since before that race I had only done it ONCE before.  Three sprints, a bronze medal for athena division and a half marathon later here I am....What started as a dare has become an addiction...

2009: A race is Augusta half, I am also signed up for St Anthonys Oly dist in FL, ING half, Festival of flowers if I can get in, Water frotn TN if I can get in and some local sprints if I canafford them..

Weightloss:  Have had some and need a lot more. I plan of getting serious about the nutrition after christmas.

So I hope your group has room for me...thanks for giving up your time to do this for us!!!

2008-12-19 2:49 PM

New user

Atlanta, GA

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to let you all know that I'm very pleased to have become a part of a group that is so excited about this sport. I know that you will all be instrumental in my succeses one way or another!

2008-12-19 3:56 PM
in reply to: #1863757

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
afrutoz - 2008-12-19 2:48 PM

Hi,

I hope you have room for me too!  I am in the ATL area as well.

Name:  Alison Frutoz

Family status: Busy married lawyer with 2 small kids.

Current Training: Base for the off season working with Chris Zimmer of the Sports Factory..I have a LONG way to go..

This Year:  As a dare did a local sprint called sweetwater just to see if I could finish it.  I was really worried about being able to finish the 5k and I was really scared to ride my hybrid on a road with cars since before that race I had only done it ONCE before.  Three sprints, a bronze medal for athena division and a half marathon later here I am....What started as a dare has become an addiction...

2009: A race is Augusta half, I am also signed up for St Anthonys Oly dist in FL, ING half, Festival of flowers if I can get in, Water frotn TN if I can get in and some local sprints if I canafford them..

Weightloss:  Have had some and need a lot more. I plan of getting serious about the nutrition after christmas.

So I hope your group has room for me...thanks for giving up your time to do this for us!!!

What area of law?
2008-12-19 4:27 PM
in reply to: #1862815

Expert
Atlanta, GA
swise - 2008-12-19 6:28 AM

It is so great to see such a diversity of experience in this group.

I know we are still gearing up -- but I have a question to start off with. I have been on BT for a year now and still haven't up'd my membership. I need to settle down on a game plan and wanted to know what you guys thought about upgrading to silver or gold and following the BT training plans v. other training plans out there. I have looked on line at some of the personal coaching options but don't know how much I can commit financially (given the cost of events...) And/or - even if don't follow BT training plans, still upgrading to utilize the added features that silver/gold provide.

For 2008 I bought a couple books and "winged it" a bit - which I think is no big deal for Sprint and Oly distances but would be pretty stupid for a 70.3.

Any insight / recommendations would be really appreciated.

Swise, I actually did not "up" my membership as I just kept doing my own research for a few years then hired a coach about a year ago. I hired a coach as I wanted to "take it to the next level". From my experience, it is definately not a "must", especially early on. I will say it has helped guide me and I now have someone watching me and holding me accountable.

Also, what books/resources are you using?

Any one else considering a coach?

Thanks,
Tony
2008-12-19 4:34 PM
in reply to: #1863744

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Hey gang,

As Dan stated, this is a great place to ask those questions you have had for a while or did not know exactly where to turn to for the answers. Because we have such a diverse group, I strongly encourage us all to help each other out.

*What topics do we want to discuss along the way? Please toss out a few ideas and we can start checking them off. I have many ideas but I'd like to hear from you all first. My thoughts are to have a "topic of the week", in addition to our other conversations.

Thanks and have a great evening!

Tony

2008-12-19 7:08 PM

I have a question....

watching tri's on tv and one in person, everyone just walks into the finish. Would I be looked down upon if I haul the last three miles of the tri passing people even near the finish?

2008-12-19 10:13 PM
in reply to: #1864252

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA
From what I've seen, not at all.  It's a race!
2008-12-20 8:59 AM
in reply to: #1864252

Expert
Atlanta, GA
ryan90 - 2008-12-19 8:08 PM

I have a question....

watching tri's on tv and one in person, everyone just walks into the finish. Would I be looked down upon if I haul the last three miles of the tri passing people even near the finish?

Ryan, absolutely not! In fact, I encourage people to give it their all up until you cross the finish line. Also, regarding "passing people even near the finish line"...that is a strategy I use while racing. I see a competitor in the distance and pick him or her off by "chasing them down". I continue doing this and it helps me get to the finish line.

Thanks,
Tony
2008-12-20 8:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
Books --

The Fit Swimmer -- had this one for a few years now. Good swim workouts but as you get up in distance almost all have butterfly which is like torture. In lieu of that I've utilized The Triathletes Guide To Swim Training - which has some pretty good training plans in it.

I read Triathlon Training by Eric Harr which was really good early early on b/c it is really an easy read and dumbs things down a lot - which I truly needed.

I have Triathlon Training by Michael Finch which I used for generalized training program for Olympic race. it has some good general information.

Lastly, I got The Triathletes Training Bible (Second Edition) by Joe Friel. When I got this I was mainly trying to read everything I could get my hands on. I quickly realized that this was far beyond where I was at. I plan on going back through this one b/c I realize it has really great information but I still feel a lot of it is over my head.

Other reading material -- looking on line and Triathlete magazine which has had some really good articles.

I still don't know what I need. What I want is someone/something to tell me exactly what workouts to do to build toward a 70.3 -- but with some flexibility b/c of my work schedule, family and church obligations. And preferably not one that says M - run for 30 minutes... I realize now that there is a benefit from having a balance of different kinds of training (intervals, long distance, base building...) I just don't know enough about it to know how to utilize everything effectively.

Urg!!!

My suggestion for a "topic of the week" -- base training by monitoring heart rate. I have heard about this and tried my darndest. From what I understand you try to run REALLY slow to keep your heart rate down over a period of weeks because it has a beneficial effect on your overall running ability. I can't seem to keep my heart rate down. I am doing good if my average heart rate is 167 with a max of 180. Can someone explain this phenomenon. Does it truly work? and what is the trick to keeping your HR low?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tribesman's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 17