BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2009-01-12 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1857347

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (OPEN AGAIN, JUMP ON IN!)
Okay group, after a dreadful day of eating everything in site and drinking too much wine yesterday, I am feeling motivated.  I got some before/after weight loss pictures printed out.    Time to take control before it gets out of hand.  I want to be at a good racing weight this summer.  140s here I come.  So, lots of water and no eating crap for me.  I'm cutting down my wine drinking to once a week at the most.  There, I wrote it down.  Now, hold me accountable!

2009-01-12 9:43 AM

Ann arbor, Michigan
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (OPEN AGAIN, JUMP ON IN!)

Hi Brittany,

I'm glad you opened your group back up! I had joined another, but as a fellow Texan I was really interested in your group.

I'm looking to race in a series of 6 triathlons in '09 beginning May 10 with a Rookie Tri in Austin, TX (300k/12k/2k) followed by the Austin Tri (First Tri Distance - 400k/10k/5k) on May 25th.  By the time the season is over, I hope to have progressed at least through the Austin Triathlon on September 7th and maybe the Longhorn 70.3 Half-Iron in October.  Can you get me there?

I'm 33, married with two busy boys.  Work and commute.  But I'm committed.  I've been losing weight (30 pounds) and building an aerobic base for the past 6 months.  I'm running a 5k next week (The Houston Marathon EBK 5k) to kick start my official training.  I actually began a 20 week training program several weeks ago and am running 30-40 minutes 2-3 times per week (ran my first 4 miler long today - cold wind, hot sun, hills, UGH), swimming 600-1000 yards 3 times per week, and will begin biking next week (waiting on the call that my bike is in and ready to be fitted)!  

I was a competitive athlete in high school and college but my involvement did not include long distance running, any swimming, or any cycling.  I can swim, but have had no formal training.  I began the training program and most recently swam 1000 yards with a few seconds break between most 25's, but did swim 2 100's with no break.  So, it's getting better.  Yay. I intend to join a master's program for instruction twice a week, beginning next week. 

I've just started updating my training log and I keep an extensive one on paper. 

This group seems like the right mix of new thriathlete and competitor for me.  I won't seek a first place finish (yet), but I don't play for play just to play, I push  myself (all while having fun, of course).  This group seems like a great group for me.

Hope you still have room.

Kedra

2009-01-12 10:04 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (Closed- Training in Progress!)

Kedra! Welcome! I don't have much time right now, but you're in...and I'll have to keep an eye for you on the Austin First Tri during the CAPTEX Tri weekend--I'll be doing the Olympic then as well!  I'll respond more to your post later today!!

Okay crew, with 3 additions, I'm gonna close us up again!

It's only 10AM and I already need a NAP!

2009-01-12 10:19 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!)
2009-01-12 12:25 PM

User image

Lubbock
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!)

Yeah Roller Derby....it was a blast...we got our WFTA national ranking, played some tough teams....made great friends.  It got me off the couch and exercising regularly.  Now Im ready to step it up more.

I am excited that I dont have to fall on concrete on a regular basis...although, I will when I have to deal with those clip on bike shoes. lol

Coming from a very team sport with a coach, this has been nice to plan my own training in a sense.  This year I am going to do some runs and work to a Sprint Disctance Tri.  I am about up to the run distance and swim distance so my main goa is to get some more biking hours in.  I dont have a road bike so 1 mile seems like a struggle and my butt hurts. (need to break my butt in)

I have no time goal right now...and dont car if I need to walk or backstroke to finish....I just am GOING TO FINISH!

Dont worry I wont bite or should I say Hit! Thanks for letting me join and welcoming me in.   

2009-01-12 1:01 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Wow, lots of things have been thrown out, so I want to make sure I don't miss anything (and will have to multi-post for sure). 

Kirk, you asked about the BT plans. I am not using them this year cause I'm working with a friend for some un-official coaching/scheduling...but I did use them last year for my HIM work and really liked them.  What I like too is it's fairly easy, with the calendars here, to take a look at your week and alter as needed. I didn't go pure BT plan and played with mine a bit--upping some of the workouts in my strength areas cause what was in wasn't intense enough, and tweaking this that or the other, but I used the general flow and focus of it.  I used several different ones in the whole scheme of things, but they worked well for me.

Kedra- you asked if we could get you there on the Half-Iron...well, we can encourage you there, but it's definitely all about the training. I did Longhorn as my "A" race triathlon last year and really enjoyed it...it's not a super easy course, but it's not ridiculously difficult either.  One thing to think about as you have some sprints and Olys (are you trying to do the Texas Tri Series that Jack and Adam's supports?) on your schedule, is that if you're shooting for a HIM, the training is a lot more intense and time demanding. After you get your first sprint or so done, you'll need to transition to training for the Half, even if you have sprints in between...if you're doing the training for a HIM, the sprint distance and olympic distances will be much easier.  You definitely sound like you have the competitive mindset to get out there and make things happen--this can be a big advantage in triathlon...it fueled me immensely this past year!

Diana- Oceanside is quite a race I've heard! I've heard it's well put on, but definitely be ready for some tough (and probably cold) swimming and some good hills on that bike!

For everyone--I definitely recommend that you check out the race database and read the race reports of some of the folks that have done the races you plan to do this year.  It will help give you a vision of what the race course is like, what people struggled with, what they really liked, etc. I did that last year and it really helped give me a good grasp of the races I was going to do (except, somehow, I never realized how hilly the Longhorn 70.3 run was...).  I have read tons of IMFL reports, and probably should read some Boston ones...

Lunch break is over, back to the grind. Have I mentioned I need a nap? 

2009-01-12 3:30 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
I did get more than 4 hours of sleep last night but I am TIRED today.  All day I have have been so sleepy.  If I didn't just drop $70 to take this swim class tonight, I'd be in my pajamas and heading to bed soon.  I hate days like this! 
2009-01-12 4:29 PM
in reply to: #1902930

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX
Welcome Meg, Kedra and Diana!!!

My running shoes were delivered today... woohoo!! Now at least my feet will look good while I SLOWLY jog/walk down the trails.

I'm with you Erika -- I'm sleepy. I've been working since 10pm last night -- too many hours to be staring at a computer screen and having to think. If I go workout now I may be able to hide under the covers by 8 tonight!

---
Wes
2009-01-12 5:29 PM
in reply to: #1903049

User image

Expert
Just ordered my Garmin 305. It should be here by Friday. I actually paid for it out of my pocket. The "free" voucher store had it for $299 and I got it for $158 on Amazon. I am not gonna pay double for it. So, I hope it is worth it!!
2009-01-12 8:19 PM

User image

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't posted in a while, but it feel good to be back!

Looks like everyone is getting into the swing of their training schedules and putting great effort into their training.

I'm starting to get a little cabin fever from always being inside to train.  I should probably suck it up and run outside, but I have this fear of slipping in the ice or snow and injuring myself.  I would hate to lose any more training time.

Does anyone else have trouble running on a treadmill? I feel like I'm going to lose my balance and fall off the darn thing!  I nearly di the other day: my foot caught the edge of the belt and nearly threw me for a loop.

2009-01-13 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1903452

User image

Expert

Got caught up in an officer involved shooting last night. This is the 7th time in my career that I have been "separated" for an Internal Affairs shoot investigation. It gets worse every time. Got Bless America!!

Here is the link from the paper :

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20090113/NEWS01/90113013&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

2009-01-13 10:21 AM
in reply to: #1904444

User image

Elite
Connecticut
gator22 - 2009-01-13 11:11 AM

Got caught up in an officer involved shooting last night. This is the 7th time in my career that I have been "separated" for an Internal Affairs shoot investigation. It gets worse every time. Got Bless America!!

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20090113/NEWS01/90113013&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

That's crazy!  So does 'seperated' mean paid leave time??   Of course I am sure you would rather be working than going through an IA investigation.  What a pain!

2009-01-13 10:24 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Swim class was good last night.  We did lots of drills.  Fun stuff.  I also cracked  the top of my foot on something (not sure what) during a kicking drill and now it is bruised and swollen.  Not sure what to do with that.  It doesn't hurt to walk but it does to wiggle me toes.  I'm still planning on running this afternoon.  I guess I'll just play it by ear.  I hate when I do stupid stuff like this!

Edited by ebshot 2009-01-13 11:18 AM
2009-01-13 4:09 PM
in reply to: #1904489

User image

Expert
I am not on paid leave, just left alone to be yelled at by IA and command staff. I wish I was on paid leave, I would stay there and train for an ironman
2009-01-13 8:46 PM
in reply to: #1905341

User image

Elite
Connecticut

gator22 - 2009-01-13 5:09 PM I am not on paid leave, just left alone to be yelled at by IA and command staff. I wish I was on paid leave, I would stay there and train for an ironman

Hmmmm, no silver lining there huh?  Crud.

2009-01-14 7:13 AM
in reply to: #1904444

User image

gator22 - 2009-01-13 11:11 AM

I'm glad to hear that your fellow officer and the victims are okay.  It could have gotten ugly with a 2 on1 situation.  From what I read in the article, it sounds like the dept is standing behind him for his actions.  Too many times an LEO does the right thing and his command staff won't bank him or her because of liability/public opinion.

2009-01-14 9:30 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

HELLLLOOOO...okay, I've been out a little--just busy with life.  BUT, I'm curious, anyone have any questions or issues they need help with?  Does everyone have their season mapped out a bit as well as some training programs for here at the beginning?

Erica- have you avoided the wine the past couple of days??

2009-01-14 1:30 PM
in reply to: #1906751

User image

Expert

Hey kids! I have been too busy here. A word on swimming. I know a lot of people are worried about it. I think swimming fitness comes faster than the other two sports even if you have bad form. Try to get a total immersion video or lesson and just get comfortable in the water. I think a lot of people lie about their times on this site too. Don't get intimidated. When you get to open water with a little boyancy help from that wetsuit, you will be with everybody else. Also, those competitive swimmers have no wall to flip turn and that is a big equalizer.

I am a professional SCUBA diver too, so I guess sometimes easier said than done in the open water......

Hopefully, when my Garmin arrives I will want to run. Cause right now, I don't!!

2009-01-14 1:49 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
TexasMPGal - 2009-01-14 10:30 AM

Erica- have you avoided the wine the past couple of days??

Yes, I have been wine free since Saturday.  I do miss it a tad BUT, the weight is coming down so it is more than worth it! 

I went to the running store today and picked up a foam roller to help get rid of my ITBS.  It has been a little bit better since I have been using my rolling pin (I did look at the Stick but went with the HUGE foam roller instead).  I also picked up a copy of the book, Once a Runner by John L. Parker, Jr.  My LRS got some advanced copies of it so I snatched one up.  It's being re-released in April.  I'll let ya'll know how it is!

2009-01-14 3:07 PM

User image

Seattle, WA

Hey all, I tried to post from my iPhone but was unable to.  I've just returned from visiting my parents and am ready to get back on my workout routine.  The babysitting down there was non-existent!  So I need some workouts to get my head clear again.

I had it on the schedule to go get fitted for running shoes today (I have extremely flat feet), but it looks like that won't happen since I have a formal event tonight and have to convert the crib to a toddler bed before the babysitter gets here.

But I did get in a good swim workout today. It was great to be back in the gym...Laughing

2009-01-14 3:13 PM

User image

Seattle, WA
By the way, how do I put the box with the names in it on my training log?

2009-01-14 3:20 PM

User image

Lubbock

Same here about the Iphone...Im on it a lot, but cant seem to get it to post on here.... kinda wierd.

I wanted to take a moment and thank you all for letting me join your group and to say "Hello" I love the fact that there are new and seasoned athletes here.....

I did have a question.....I am heading to Cali for a few days and on the agenda is get some correct fitting running shoes.  I am sure the store will size me up "no pun intended" and show me what will work.  My question is does anyone have words of warning on certain brands or styles or words of advice.

Ie. That shoe made my feet sweat alot , or they fell about after one run.

Thanks!!!!!Wink

2009-01-14 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1907932

User image

Elite
Connecticut
HARDCandy - 2009-01-14 4:20 PM

Same here about the Iphone...Im on it a lot, but cant seem to get it to post on here.... kinda wierd.

I wanted to take a moment and thank you all for letting me join your group and to say "Hello" I love the fact that there are new and seasoned athletes here.....

I did have a question.....I am heading to Cali for a few days and on the agenda is get some correct fitting running shoes.  I am sure the store will size me up "no pun intended" and show me what will work.  My question is does anyone have words of warning on certain brands or styles or words of advice.

Ie. That shoe made my feet sweat alot , or they fell about after one run.

Thanks!!!!!Wink

I think the biggest advice I have as far as running shoes is not to get caught up on what they look like.  I wanted pretty running shoes but the ones my LRS (little running store) recommended were butt ugly!   I was not happy BUT, my feet were thrilled.  The next time I went to a different LRS and got some cuter shoes but they killed my hips and knees.  Make sure the sale people actually look at your feet and watch you walk at least.  Watching you run is even better.  Try on a bunch of different shoes and take them for a quick spin.  Also, check the return policy.  Ask if you can return the shoes even if you have worn them outside. I got burnt on that.  A good policy is 30 days, no questions asked.  Gives you time to figure out if they will work for you.  Sticker shock might be a factor too if you have never been to a LRS to be fitted.  I usually spend around $100 per pair. 

Good luck and have fun!  I love new shoes!

2009-01-14 6:54 PM
in reply to: #1908065

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX
As for the shoes, I was evaluated at a local runner's shoe store, but they didn't have my size/width in stock (lucky me). I went online and found a great deal on the same shoe (last year's model) for a much cheaper price! I now know I need a WIDE neutral shoe.

I used http://www.roadrunnersports.com/"Road Runner Sports" and found what I needed. Cheaper and free shipping and also have a 60-day perfect-fit guarantee.

Brit also mentioned a website in a previous post where she gets much of her gear. Several of the good shoe sites will let you filter the list down to the type of shoe you need (wide, narrow... neutral, stability, motion control..)

I have only run about 5 miles in my new shoes and they feel much better than anything I've ever had. New Balance 1062.

---
Wes
2009-01-14 9:09 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Marie- to put the box in your log, just highlight it here and copy, then go to your goals portion of your log and paste it in and it will work just fine. If you want to change the font colors in your log, just highlight the words, go to the color pallete in the log, and make it the color you want!  Glad to see you in here!!!

Meg- okay, for shoes, if they are a good store, they should do a running gait analysis.  Your plan is to run in these, so they should either have you run in the store on a treadmill or across the store, or something.  Feel free to ask if they've been trained to analyze gait...if not, go somewhere else.  They will recommend a variety of shoes, and you can try them to see what they feel like.  If they have a treadmill, hop on there with them on (take socks you know you would run in as well).  If the cost is too much for the shoe, note what you liked then look online.  The site Wes was referencing that I use is www.runningwarehouse.com .   It would be hard for us to give you our opinions on shoes as everyone's feet and style are so different. I like my Mizunos, others love Ascics, and so on.  Good shoes are IMPORTANT!!! Bad shoes will mess you up, cause injury, etc.  Once you try a show and think it works, if you have the money, buy a second pair and rotate between the two as far as runs go because that will extend the life of the shoe and it will reduce possibility of injury as well.  OH, if you have a pair of old running shoes and can take those with you to the store, do that...they can take a look a the tread wear to determine your gait as well.

Erica- nice job on ignoring the cries of the wine!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!) Rss Feed  

of 20