BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shermbelle's Group Full to the brim Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-01-12 8:54 AM
in reply to: #1901404

Subject: RE: Shermbelle's Group Full to the brim

Yeah, I know what clipless pedals are, but I think I am going to skip those for now.  Thoughts?

2009-01-12 9:13 AM
in reply to: #1866775

User image

Veteran
Ken-I too have chosen to skip the clipless for now. For me it is a cost issue right now. My bike came with toe cages but those scared me so I took them off. I know my speed and leg fatigue would probably improve with the clipless but maybe later this year

If you are just going to go with regular pedals my guess would be you could find them cheaper at some place like Walmart rather than a bike shop.
2009-01-12 9:51 AM

New user
Was sick last week, managed one run, bike, swim each half hearted. Still not feeling great today but decided to try to workout early (before work) while I feel better (I seem to fade). WELL, instead of getting in my workout, I managed to flatten both of my bike tires while trying to pump them up. ARGH. So after 30 minutes of trying to figure out the bike pump, I read something on the internet that said you have to blow into the pump. Sure enough it worked. What a stupid bike pump (bought from target for kid stuff). So now I have pumped up tires but lost my window to workout. Came here to vent before I dig into work (working in my bike shorts now hoping to get in a workout at lunch).

My goal this week is to go to my first Master's swim class on Sunday I also cut out a newspaper article on a beginner tri workshop on Thursday night that I would love to go to, but my son has hockey practice so I'm not sure I can work it out.

Yippee Jill, glad to hear your husband is back to driving.
2009-01-12 12:16 PM

User image

Veteran
I too am going to my first Master's Swim Class tonight. New group starting and tonight is the first meeting.

Trudee-sorry such frustration with the bike tires but I'm glad you figured it out. Sounds like my new years w/my tires.
2009-01-12 1:44 PM

New user
Everett/Seattle

I dont have a real bike yet but will be getting one soon.   IS anyone else using a stationary bike to start training?

After the first full week back to work and full training I can honestly say I have never been so tired.. Did alot of couch surfing this weekend..

Hope everyone is doing well this week and keeps looking at the bright side of all things..

2009-01-12 1:48 PM
in reply to: #1895090

New user
Everett/Seattle

When you rotate to breathe, are you rotating completely on your side?  That is supposed to help tremendously.

Ken

i wasn't.  i figured out that was part of it, and the fact I was going to fast, so I have really tried to slow my self down and roll more.  I am getting the hang of it.  We'll see what my instructor has to say tomorrow night.

I also watch some video's on youtube last night and saw a few things that might help as well.

Thanks,

tammy

Edited by tlstacy 2009-01-12 1:49 PM

2009-01-12 3:06 PM
in reply to: #1902678

User image

Expert
Cornfields of Illinois
tlstacy - 2009-01-12 1:44 PM

I dont have a real bike yet but will be getting one soon.   IS anyone else using a stationary bike to start training?

After the first full week back to work and full training I can honestly say I have never been so tired.. Did alot of couch surfing this weekend..

Hope everyone is doing well this week and keeps looking at the bright side of all things..

FWIW, I used a stationary bike for most of my training last summer.  Only did about 10-15 rides outside of which 6 were on the actual course.  until you have a regular bike, a spinning class bike or regular stationary bike is still better than nothing. 

I would recommend trying to find a bike soon though.  As soon as the weather starts getting better, the bike prices will start rising again and January is a great month with people looking to sell their extra bikes to help pay off Christmas.

2009-01-12 6:07 PM

New user
Everett/Seattle
WELL GUYS. . ITS OFFICIAL I HAVE REGISTERED FOR MY FIRST RACE.. I think I should go work out.. Laughing
2009-01-12 6:59 PM
in reply to: #1902886

New user
Everett/Seattle

FWIW, I used a stationary bike for most of my training last summer.  Only did about 10-15 rides outside of which 6 were on the actual course.  until you have a regular bike, a spinning class bike or regular stationary bike is still better than nothing. 

How did you feel after the first race?  My concern is that I am training pretty good I think but that I will feel like I am starting over as soon as I "hit the real road".

Since this is my first tri- and I am not sure if I will keep doing it.  Should I be picky about the kind of bike that I use.  I was just going to borrow a bike from a friend?

2009-01-12 8:37 PM
in reply to: #1903321

User image

Expert
Cornfields of Illinois
tlstacy - 2009-01-12 6:59 PM

How did you feel after the first race?  My concern is that I am training pretty good I think but that I will feel like I am starting over as soon as I "hit the real road".

Since this is my first tri- and I am not sure if I will keep doing it.  Should I be picky about the kind of bike that I use.  I was just going to borrow a bike from a friend?

I felt great after the race.  I really pushed myself hard on the stationary bike though.  I kept my cadence at a minimum of 100 at all times and would raise the tension after it would seem to get easy.  One word of caution...it's easy to let up and just coast along so don't let yourself do it...after the first few times you will roughly know your distance/time and then set goals for yourself to do better.  

It's definitely different outdoors with the wind in your face adding resistance and having to take corners but at least your legs and cardio will be ready for it.  

If you aren't sure about it then definitely borrow a friends bike (depending on what kind it is and if its a close fit)  I rode a mountain bike for my first race and just put road tires on it.

2009-01-13 8:57 AM

New user
Tammy - yippee for officially registering, I did mine last week and I still get scared when I think about it.

Jill - I updated my log I was slacking.

5 inches of snow here so stuck on a trainer/treadmill, argh. I received my Garmin 305 (Christmas present from my dad). Now I have to figure out how it works. I feel so clueless about my training. When I'm on a trainer do I just focus on keeping my cadence up? Am I supposed to shift?

2009-01-13 9:00 AM

New user
Oh I have to whine, I rode my bike for 40 minutes and my lower back is achy. This doesn't happen on the stationary bike, is it just because of the position? Is this normal (or old age, ha). Does it get better?
2009-01-13 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1904163

Trudee - 2009-01-13 9:00 AM Oh I have to whine, I rode my bike for 40 minutes and my lower back is achy. This doesn't happen on the stationary bike, is it just because of the position? Is this normal (or old age, ha). Does it get better?

Hi Trudee,

I have this problem, but I started doing core strengthening exercises and they seem to work.

Ken

Edited by K Robert 2009-01-13 2:55 PM
2009-01-13 8:33 PM
in reply to: #1901968

Champion
No excuses!
K Robert - 2009-01-12 9:54 AM

Yeah, I know what clipless pedals are, but I think I am going to skip those for now.  Thoughts?

Totally your choice. For some it is a cost issue and for some it is a fear issue. With clipless pedals you will fall...at least once, we all have. You can get pedals and shoes for as little as probably $50 used and spend up to as much as you can imagine.

What they will do for you-

They will no doubt make you faster because you don't lose the power in the pedal stroke where as  with toe clips you lose on the pedal stroke where you pull up.

Getting use to them is the biggest thing. IF you have a  trainer where you can ride and get use to the feel and practice clipping in and out before hitting the open road will help.

Let me know if you have any other questions on them.

2009-01-13 8:48 PM
in reply to: #1904437

Champion
No excuses!
K Robert - 2009-01-13 11:10 AM

Trudee - 2009-01-13 9:00 AM Oh I have to whine, I rode my bike for 40 minutes and my lower back is achy. This doesn't happen on the stationary bike, is it just because of the position? Is this normal (or old age, ha). Does it get better?

Hi Trudee,

I have this problem, but I started doing core strengthening exercises and they seem to work.

Ken

Also it could be your "fit" on the bike. If it is not set up effiencently  for you or posistioned right for you it can cause bad posture and just an overall bad feel on the bike.

2009-01-13 8:49 PM
in reply to: #1903210

Champion
No excuses!

tlstacy - 2009-01-12 7:07 PM WELL GUYS. . ITS OFFICIAL I HAVE REGISTERED FOR MY FIRST RACE.. I think I should go work out.. Laughing

Great job Tammy!!!

So when is the first race and distance?

2009-01-13 8:51 PM
in reply to: #1904154

Champion
No excuses!

Trudee - 2009-01-13 9:57 AM Tammy - yippee for officially registering, I did mine last week and I still get scared when I think about it. Jill - I updated my log I was slacking. 5 inches of snow here so stuck on a trainer/treadmill, argh. I received my Garmin 305 (Christmas present from my dad). Now I have to figure out how it works. I feel so clueless about my training. When I'm on a trainer do I just focus on keeping my cadence up? Am I supposed to shift?

So Trudee and Tammy are in and registered for their first races of the season. When will be everyone elses first race?

I am doing a few running races with the first one maybe being mid march. My first tri isn't until June

2009-01-13 9:57 PM
in reply to: #1906048

User image

Expert
Cornfields of Illinois
Shermbelle - 2009-01-13 8:51 PM

Trudee - 2009-01-13 9:57 AM Tammy - yippee for officially registering, I did mine last week and I still get scared when I think about it. Jill - I updated my log I was slacking. 5 inches of snow here so stuck on a trainer/treadmill, argh. I received my Garmin 305 (Christmas present from my dad). Now I have to figure out how it works. I feel so clueless about my training. When I'm on a trainer do I just focus on keeping my cadence up? Am I supposed to shift?

So Trudee and Tammy are in and registered for their first races of the season. When will be everyone elses first race?

I am doing a few running races with the first one maybe being mid march. My first tri isn't until June

Im supposed to run 1/2 mary on April 11th but not sure I will be ready for it.  My first tri is on June 6th

2009-01-13 11:46 PM
in reply to: #1906202

Champion
No excuses!
bulldog520 - 2009-01-13 10:57 PM
Shermbelle - 2009-01-13 8:51 PM

Im supposed to run 1/2 mary on April 11th but not sure I will be ready for it.  My first tri is on June 6th

Which half are you looking at?

2009-01-14 9:22 AM

New user

Crafty- I am planning my first triathlon for April.  My goals are to lose 10lbs and trai nough to compete in a triathlon.  My original goal was to finish.  To just finish is not really my nature, so I set my goal to win the "First Timers Award" they give out.  It will mean about a 45min race judging from thier website.  Have about 3 1/2 months left to get in the shape I need to win.

My first Triathlon will be April 19th in Carmel, In.  Water will still be very cold up here, so the swim is at a swim club and the rest outside.  It is a sprint, 500m swim, 13ml ride, 3.1 run.  Looking forward to it.

Been out of town for 3 days with business and will get back in the gym today for about 4-5 days straight.  I am getting much more comfortable in the water.  Able to take longer swims with out stops, better breathing, and less strokes to the end of the pool.

I am using a stationary bike at the gym right now also.  It is better than nothing, but I am looking forward to getting a bike and some nice weather to start training outside.  The high this week is around 20 with wind and snow. 

Everbody have a great day.

"What gets measured gets done"

2009-01-14 10:12 AM
in reply to: #1906046

New user
Everett/Seattle
First race is April 11th and its 300 m open water swim, 13 mile bike, and 3 mile run.  I chose this corse specifically because in race description it states that its very flat and great for first timers.   Its in Elma, WA.

Edited by tlstacy 2009-01-14 10:14 AM

2009-01-14 4:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
My first TRI on the year will be April 05 - Ironman 70.3 in New Orleans. I live about 90 minutes from NOLA. There will be quite a few local people from Hattiesburg down there fighting for bragging rights. It will be my longest TRI by far (previous was the Heart of Dixie - a point to point with 1/2 mile swim, 27 mile bike and 7 mile run). This will be a challenging race. I would like to complete the race in the low 5 hours.

2009-01-15 10:45 AM
in reply to: #1906729

User image

Extreme Veteran
dbryson13 - 2009-01-14 9:22 AM

My original goal was to finish.  To just finish is not really my nature, so I set my goal to win the "First Timers Award" they give out.

I love goals so don't get me wrong. For me I have to set goals that I have complete control over. You can not control who enters the TRI as a "First Timer". It could be an All-American track and field star who has never done a triathlon. They will smoke you.

In addition, I like to set up multiple levels of achievement - a bronze, silver, gold if you will. The bronze is the broadest of the goals - maybe just finishing or finishing strong - hard but not impossible - definitely not a gimmie. The silver would be a time goal if everything works out as planned - challenaging no doubt. The gold is almost always a fantasy - in a dream world if everything clicks just right. For example, I grab someones feet in the swim and come out refreshed with a really fast time. The bike is all tail winds and I'm flying. And then the run just feels like a hard tempo run that I can push the pace hard at the end. These gold medals are not expected - they don't happen - but if they did...
2009-01-15 10:48 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI

Hey everyone!

Sherm~ I finally did my test on the TM...did I mention I really do not like the TM??? Toughed out 25 min..hope that's enough. did 2.9 miles avg HR 166 max 177. I set it at 6.8 but then moved it up to 7.0 then up to 7.3 prob could have went faster but wasn't sure....I don't use the Tm and didn't know what I could do. I feel like a caged animal...I would never make it as a hamster! Hope that is enough info for you.

I am having the bike tire issues this week also! Knew I needed air on Mon but rode anyhow and asked hubby if he could fill them(using the compressor) he forgot so on Wed.  I thought I can do this how hard can it be...... well he doesn't have the right size connector..I ended up letting all the air outFrown When he got home I told him what I did and he went to put the air in but couldn't get the adapter thing to work right...so off the the lbs to get the right one..both stores closed. headed to walmart to see if they had anything( I really need to ride!) well they had a floor stand that has the pressure gauge that goes to 120psi so we buy it and bring it home. I went to put it on the stem and the whole clip broke! no air in tires...-11 right now...do I head out the the lbs and get the right one? I have to work at 1:30 think I will leave early and stop then ride tonight.

As for the peddles..I can't imagine going back! I love my clip less. It does take some getting used to(I used mine in spin when I first got them) but now it is second nature.

My races... My first tri of the season will be J-hawk early bird(this was my first tri ever) April 26th. Indoor swim the rest outside. Great race...well organized. I would like to do the Kenosha 1/2 on May 2nd(never ran that far before) maybe the Green Bay tri on June 7th, tri-ing for children oly(will be my first)July 26th, Oshkosh oly Aug 9th and end my season with J-hawk late bird Sept 27th. Probably throw in a few local 5ks and maybe a 10k. this is a rough outline...we will see!

2009-01-15 2:50 PM

New user
Kim - hilarious on the flat tires!!!! I can totally relate, and it's right when you really want to workout and then it takes all the workout time.

Yesterday I was dreading the treadmill so I went for a run outside, 41 degrees with some wind, it was freezing, but I was proud of myself for doing it. Today I'm going to a Tri workshop at a local YMCA, it was $10 so I'm hoping I get inspired and a little guidance, figured it can't hurt (got a ride for my son to his hockey practice so I could go, "A" for effort) The Y also has a mini indoor tri on Apr 4 so I'm considering that too. Still have my goal to go to Master's swim on Sunday.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shermbelle's Group Full to the brim Rss Feed  

of 18