BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tamio's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2009-05-07 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2078490

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: Tamio's Group - CLOSED - FULL

Ryan- Good luck with the half!

Scout-Cycling club (I just go on my tri club's group ride...so it is not hard core biker-only group)

pros: others to help you push the pace, to show the way, to chat with, and learn things from

cons: you have to push the pace (if you have an ego and want to keep up)..not a lot of time to smell the roses  Oh..also, rumor is, if you have a tri bike, they may think you do not know how to handle a bike or group riding.  Oh--another con..if you are not use to riding in a group, or on someone's wheel...it can be scary if you do not know the person in front of you.

ok- off to bed. sorry I have not been more active.  I'll chime in more this weekend....long swim tomorrow night, long bike ride saturday, and long run on sunday.  Long, long, long....oh...and I can pm you more info on infinit if you would like Tam, just let me know!

Mel- what you up to?

2009-05-08 7:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California

I forgot what a strain tri training puts on relationships. I'm doing the Olympic beginner HR plan . . . in bed before 9pm, up at 5am, working my usual 10-11 hour day -- sometimes squeezing in a lunchtime run -- if not doing something after work. Back home at 7pm (or later if I have a work committment) -- dinner with family and by 8pm packing my gear for the next morning's workout.

Although I've been doing this for a couple of tri seasons, husband is not amused. Next week I'm going to try and finish work by 5pm and if the weather cooperates, do my second workout from home (bike or run).

2009-05-08 1:06 PM
in reply to: #2138189

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Why not have him join you for a workout or two?
2009-05-08 2:56 PM

User image

Veteran
That's what happened at our house....husband bought a road bike, then a tri bike....now is just as addicted as I am....
2009-05-09 6:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
What's on tap for this weekend everyone?  I'm headed out for a 41 mile ride with my potentially new cycling club.  Tomorrow is a day spent with the family.  Then I'm going to slowly cut back next week.  Probably one or two short runs, a swim or two and maybe one more bike ride.  Nothing more after Wednesday.  My first race is a week from today (gulp) and I want to be well rested... 

What do you have planned?

Scout

Edited by scout21 2009-05-09 6:41 AM
2009-05-09 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
Sorry I haven't posted. This week was a bit insane at work. By the end of Thursday I had already done 42 hours and normally I only do 40 in a week. Today is Saturday and I am spending my afternoon at work.

I can say a lot about not eating right this week. Although I was good this week when my boss ordered pizza, initially refused and I ate my lunch, but I was hungry later in the day so I took one piece. That night after my run I had to come back to work so I ordered food from the tennis club where I run and I ordered a wrap with fries. Mistake with the fries as my stomach didn't like greasy food. Normally I avoid greasy food.

After a hectic week I went on a nice bike ride with 2 friends. It was nice riding along the canal with gorgeous houses. It was nice and relaxing. After the ride we got a bite to eat and I was good eating a salad with a smal steak. I also ordered a glass of wine which I thought would be harmless. I was wrong. Half way through eating I was thinking- whoa this alcohol just went straight to me. I woudn't even attempt to drive the way I was feeling.

Now today I had a race- a quarter marathon run. I originally did this race to prepare for my 10km olympic triathlon run. I think the alcohol did a whopper to my system (all of one glass) cause I was not feeling the greatest in the morning. My head was still exhausted and my stomach wasn't the greatest - I still ate though.

The run today was painful. Normally I give myself a day or 2 off before a race and I didn't do that week. My bad. I was starting off the race with tired legs. It was like a triathlon where you start off the run tired. I ended up finishing my 10.5 km race in 1:07. I was hoping for under 1:03 but oh well.

This afternoon my stomach is still doing circles. My bathroom demon kept on calling me.

And I am back at work today for a couple of hours.

I know you are not supposed to change habits before a race but I am definitely not having any alcohol before a race anymore (even just one glass) and I will be giving myself a rest break next time.

2009-05-09 5:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Wow Mel - tough week / night for you!

After ripping it up on the bike last weekend in Lake Placid, we are "keeping it local" this weekend. Did 54.5 miles on the bike today and a 1 hr run. Tomorrow I do two loops of the Harriman Triathlon bike course on the computrainer and a 60 minute swim. Next weekend is my first tri of the season - Harryman at the Harriman State Park. Water should be nice and warm......NOT.

Had a great ride today - was just so much fun. I LOVE my new bike....
2009-05-09 9:31 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Today I did a ride/run brick.  Plan ws for a 20 mile ride with a 20 minute run.  I cut the ride at 17.5 because the wind was getting crazy.  The run went fine--felt pretty good the whole time and the pace was a little faster than I expected.

This capped my biggest training week ever.  Started with my longest ever run (10 miles) on Sunday, had my longest ever swim (2600 yards) on Tuesday, did my first ever sub 7:00 pace (6:59 for 5 miles) on Wednesday and did my first outdoor brick today (have done a few with stationary bike/treadmill).

OK--I am done patting myself on the back now!

My shins are feeling a little sore today so I might take tomorrow off.  I have had shin problems in the past but they haven't bothered me in a while and I don't want them to start back up again.

My first race is on June 7th.  Feeling really good about it but need to get an OWS in before then.  Hopefully I can get one in the next two weekends--we will see.

Happy Mother's day to all you Mom's!!
2009-05-10 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2141120

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

Happy Mother's day to all you Mom's!!

+1!  You moms are the greatest!
2009-05-10 6:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
George - I have been fighting shin splints for the longest time. You gotta take care of them. This year mine haven't been acting up which is nice. Of course I then developped issues with my feet this year. Can't win all your battles.

And yes happy mother's day to everyone.

My body has finally given up and started fighting back saying NO MORE. And I listened. I was just exhausted today. I barely even wanted to go out of the house to pick up the gift I was going to get for my mom but I went. My legs are still exhausted.

And I got an email from my boss today that he needs me in early tomorrow. WOHOO!!! Not

I think my body needs ateast two days off so tomorrow will be another off day and then Tuesday I will start up again.

Next race isn't unitl Jnue 7th and it is only a 5km running race.

How was everyone else's weekend?
2009-05-10 7:31 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

I reduced length/distance of workouts this past week as a "recovery" week.  Still felt fatigued at the end of the week so I took off yesterday and today. Worked out well since I was out of town anyway.  Looking forward to getting in a good run or bike tomorrow evening when I get home.  My first race is 5/30 so I am going to push it (reasonably) for the next 2 weeks and then taper the week up to the race.  Hope to practice ows and ride tri bike course next weekend.   Recovery is SO important.  Even more so when you have nagging injuries.  Hope everyone has a good week.

Randy 

2009-05-10 7:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
Dittto on the recovery.
2009-05-10 8:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
Happy moms day to all moms in group.

Really finding it hard to find time to get workouts in around kids soccer and track.  spent from 930 until 400 on sat between all three kids.  And now three weeks until first tri.  Don't think I will be getting the performance I was looking for this first season.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2009-05-11 7:58 AM

User image

Regular
Saratoga Springs, NY
Thanks everyone for the well wishes on the half marathon, it went very well.  My performance far exceeded my expectations.  I probably should have done some research on the elevation though, the course profile was like nothing I'd ever run previously.  It included some long steep inclines and crazy rollers.  By mile 10 I was prepared to hurl a Tour de France style "murderer"  accusation at the race director.

I also discovered that I am terrible (perhaps hilariously so) at taking in water/gatorade at stops.
2009-05-11 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California

Good checking in and seeing I'm not  alone -- I'm revisiting my training plan because I cannot continue the beginner olympic plan and do my job, plus be a mom.

Also, I have this habit of training really hard the first 1-2 months and then dropping off of the face of the planet until 3 weeks before my event. So I'm going to scale back and try and go for the longer haul.

So, I'm going to dial back the number of sessions, make sure I have 2 rest days/week . . . something like the 2xbalanced plan.

Wish me luck!

2009-05-11 9:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
margot - good luck

so today was day 2 of my rest period. I had our AGM for St John ambulance tonight. Last year there was barely any food at the meeting so since I was coming from work I stopped by subway and picked up a sandwhich. I get there and someone goes to me your not going to eat that - there is tons of food inside. By the time the meeting was finished almost 2 hours later we got to eat and I was starving by then. But there 5 tables full of food. There was so much leftover and I ate too much food. At one point I said I need my brain to catch up to my stomach to tell me I am full. But it was good. I normally don't pig out like that. Now my stomach is feeling the effects of everything I ate.

Tomorrow won't be day 3 of rest period but a long bike ride to start burning off the junk.

2009-05-12 8:45 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good news/bad news

Good-after 2 days off and long day of travel/work on Monday it was back to training.  Had great brick Monday evening with 45min on bike at 20mph avg then straight into 20 minute run with sub 8 min. mile pace.  These are paces I am shooting for in first sprint May 30.  Felt great and 2 days of rest recharged the batteries.  Hope you get the same result from your break Mel.

Bad-got up for masters swim class.  Last week after TI clinic I was averaging 1:50/100 during 1000 swim-easy, felt good, felt like I could go forever. Today did warm up, drills etc and then did sets of 200's.  UGH! was averaging 4:00 to 4:10 (2:00+ per 100).  Tried to make adjustments, glide....... but just never clicked.  Seemed like I struggled more with each 200 than I did with the 1000 last Thursday.  Frustrating!  I have only been swimming for about 10 weeks so I know there will be ups and downs but what a bummer.  Guess I will be more drill focused over the next 2 weeks.  Got the dvd of my swimming from TI workshop so I will review it and see if I can figure out what is going on.

Hope everyone has a good training week-the 2 days of recovery really helped me although it was hard not to feel like I was falling behind.   

2009-05-12 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Greeting everyone!  Hope the weekend/Mother's day was great for you all.

Last week's training kinda ended on a flat note.  I've been fighting this depression/blue mood-thing for a few days and it finally caught up to me.  Managed to do a transition set on Friday, skipped Sat. completely and got a nice run in Sunday.  This is Boise's Bike Week, so there are several rides planned that should get me some additional miles.   Ordered a new pair of Pearl Izumis, so that should give me a mental boost.

Bike Clubs:  Pros-meeting like minded people.  Can be a great motivator to see the dedication some of these people have for their sport.  Cons-Can be a huge 'downer' to see the dedication some people have for their sport.    Seriously, make sure the club has the same objective as you.  Is this a "racing' club or do they cater to the more recreational riders? 

May 10-may 15 is National Police Week.  Please join my in a silent 'thank you' to the men and women of law enforcement. 

2009-05-12 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
got some good rest this weekend myself.  Got a couple of good workouts in yesterday and a nice 1000yd swim this 5am, 1:49 pace.

?  Any thoughts on how much time I can expect, in the general sense, to cut off my run as I go through an intermediate oly plan.  I TT a mile at 8:30, but over distance, a 5 mile race i completed in march, my mile split is more like 11 min.  How much can i realistically lower my mile splits through training?  And yes I know it depends on the individual, just generally speaking.

Thanks
2009-05-12 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
Also, what are good run workouts to reduce time splits, details pleaseWink
2009-05-12 11:07 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

There are many good articles on the Runners World website with different plans for different distances.  The best resource I have found for running in general is a book by Jack Daniels on running.  I swear thats his name-I am not putting you on.  Lots of good information about different types of run workouts and the purpose of each.  General rule that seems to be preached the most is to build up a solid base before starting to do speed work and such.  Some of the information in the book is real technical but there is alot of great information about recommended pace etc...   

2009-05-12 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Hi Everyone -

Jeff - thanks for the info on the bike club.  I joined them last Saturday for a 45 mile ride, and honestly I'd have done another 15 on my own if I'd had the time.  It was a lot of fun, and I met some nice people.  It's a recreational club, although they do have a race team.  The rides are broken down into ability levels, and I started with the C+/B- group and was always towards the front of the group.  Maybe next time out I'll go with the B group and see what happens.

Anyway, my first race is this Sunday, and my nerves are really starting to kick in.  Not about the distances, mostly worried that I'll forget something, or not be able to find my transition area...something stupid like that....plus it's an early morning race and I'm nervous about the weather.  I really don't like cold, and it's only supposed to be a high of 60....ugh!

Matt
2009-05-12 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Matt, Good Luck this weekend.  And don't sweat the small stuff-Make yourself a list and check off each item.  I always overpack; better to have and not need than need and not have.

60s temp is awkward for me-I get cold easy.  I like to use cycling arm warmers when i get out of T1.  easy to get on when wet and provides a good bit of warmth.  if they get too hot, peel them down to your wrist.
2009-05-12 2:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Thanks again Jeff!  Perhaps a trip to the bike shop is in order - I need new gloves too!

Matt
2009-05-12 11:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
well it is currently midnight and I am sitting alone at work.

Atleast this paycheck will have lots of overtime.

I did leave earlier in the night for a bike ride 30km. It was my first real ride of the season where I just rode the whole time and tried to push it a little. The good news is not once did I think, wow I need a break. I was loving cycing in the country side. The only downside was that I knew I had to go back to work afterwards.

And I didn't have any food for dinner with me so I had some leftover pizza that was in our fridge at work. It didn't taste too good.

Hopefully I'll be leaving soon so I Can get some sleep. I am going running tomorrow no matter how tired I am. Maybe I'll take a nap before my run.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tamio's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  

of 16