BT Development Mentor Program Archives » konichiwa's mentor group - Are we having fun yet? - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-06-11 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2209896

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland
Subject: RE: konichiwa's mentor group - Are we having fun yet? - FULL
Charlie1,

I would recommend two piece tri outfits.  that's just me.  I tried a couple of trisuits and, as a bigger guy, just didn't prefer their fit or look.  plus you can mix and match with two pieces and use them at the gym without looking kinda silly.  I bought a lot of stuff off of ebay.  it's cheaper, and usually in good condition or new without tags.  I favor TYR, but there are a lot of good products.  As for Glide, etc., just get it at your local bike shop (LBS) or running store.  They need the business and the cost is usually only a buck or two difference.

2009-06-11 9:42 PM
in reply to: #2151526

User image

Pro
Houston
You're invited to Keri's pitty party....
My logs for this week are HORRIBLE!  This should be my good week!
The constant pain in my neck is driving me crazy!  I wasn't able to get into the chiro because the baby is sick
I went to the gym tonight after Ken got home and it was miserable.
I am starting to wonder if I should cancel my next race.

The good news is my oldest daughter turns 7 Saturday and we are having a birthday party here.
The bad news is my house is still a mess and I have no idea what to feed these people or what to do with all the kids.  Somebody want to come take over and let me at least try for a good training day Saturday?  C'mon, it could be fun - there will be frozen drinks!
2009-06-12 6:05 AM
in reply to: #2209877

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
Subject: photos of engagement
Great engagement photos.
You guys look really happy together.

~JoeyG
2009-06-12 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2211381

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
OK,  let's see if I have this straight:

If you wear a one-piece tri suit, you wear it under your wetsuit and simply peel off the wetsuit at T1 and you are good to go.

If you wear a two-piece tri suit, you wear the shorts under your wetsuit, your chest is bare (if your a guy!), you peel off the wetsuit and put on the tri shirt at T1?

Is that how it works?

What happens if you have a bicycle malfunction during the race?  I assume you have to fix it yourself as there is no team of race bike mechanics patrolling the course to assist bikers in need?

-- Charlie1
2009-06-12 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2211346

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: konichiwa's mentor group - Are we having fun yet?

URGuilty - 2009-06-11 3:50 PM

Tim,

Thanks for the advice.  I'll take it.  I am worried about sighting, so hopefully they will have the boat again.  Can't breathe bilaterally (need too much oxygen!)  Paying attention to the current is a great tip too, that way I can favor the opposite.

One taper question, "race effort" always seems slow.  I look at race results for Clydesdales and see 9:15s as the top run time.  Something about 10:00/mi 'race effort' that just doesn't seem right.  seems too easy.  and what would a w/u be?  11:00/mi?

Don't worry, I don't know how to breathe bilaterally either; I have yet to have a problem during a race (knock on wood!!!) because I only breathe on one side.

As for "race efforts," if you think you will be running 10 minute miles during the half, its still OK to insert some speedier sets in there the week before the race. Pump it up to 9:15s for 2-3 minutes at a time, if that is something you think is feasible. Anything to get the blood pumping hard for a few minutes is good for cutback weeks.

2009-06-12 9:08 AM
in reply to: #2212838

User image

Veteran

fontaic - 2009-06-12 9:36 AM OK,  let's see if I have this straight:

If you wear a one-piece tri suit, you wear it under your wetsuit and simply peel off the wetsuit at T1 and you are good to go.

If you wear a two-piece tri suit, you wear the shorts under your wetsuit, your chest is bare (if your a guy!), you peel off the wetsuit and put on the tri shirt at T1?

Is that how it works?

What happens if you have a bicycle malfunction during the race?  I assume you have to fix it yourself as there is no team of race bike mechanics patrolling the course to assist bikers in need?

-- Charlie1

Charlie,

I always wear a 2-piece tri suit, and i wear the whole thing under my tri suit. Yes I am a girl, but i could just wear the bra and then put the top on if I wanted; however, trying to get a dry shirt on a wet body is not fun. It takes way too long (and more importantly expends too much energy). Simply wear the whole 2-piece under your wetsuit, and then peel it off (you may want to practice getting the wetsuit off before your first race, as it does take some practice). Peel it off as much as you can while you are running up to transition (from your arms down to your waist), and then you will only have to get it over your hips and your legs out once you reach transition.

As for mechanical issues on the bike, always have spare tubes and CO2s so that you can fix your own flat. Most races have a sag wagon driving the course, but it could take a long time to get to you. If it is a more serious problem than just a flat, make it to the nearest aid station or volunteer and ask them to radio for the sag wagon.

2009-06-12 9:09 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
fontaic - 2009-06-12 8:36 AM OK,  let's see if I have this straight:

Is that how it works?

No expert here but the guys I know where their tri shirt under their wetsuit since putting a shirt on a wet body in T1 could eat up quite a bit of time. 
2009-06-12 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2212246

User image

Veteran

KeriKadi - 2009-06-11 10:42 PM You're invited to Keri's pitty party....
My logs for this week are HORRIBLE!  This should be my good week!
The constant pain in my neck is driving me crazy!  I wasn't able to get into the chiro because the baby is sick
I went to the gym tonight after Ken got home and it was miserable.
I am starting to wonder if I should cancel my next race.

The good news is my oldest daughter turns 7 Saturday and we are having a birthday party here.
The bad news is my house is still a mess and I have no idea what to feed these people or what to do with all the kids.  Somebody want to come take over and let me at least try for a good training day Saturday?  C'mon, it could be fun - there will be frozen drinks!

Happy birthday to your daughter! Hopefully her joy will help brighten your bad week. Sorry to hear that the pain in your neck is persisting. As Tim suggested, as hubby to give you a rub down! I would come down this weekend if it meant avoiding all this rain we have been having. Its supposed to rain all weekend here

2009-06-12 10:03 AM

New user

Tennessee
Random question.  I have been doing my training consistently this week with almost no problems.  However, I have some chaffing going on in my inner thigh area.  Any suggestions as to what to wear b/c I mix up what I wear from workout to workout.  I need to try to fix this or else I might have to miss a day or two of training b/c it hurts. I have also heard something about some lubricant you can use that will avoid this problem.  Not sure what it is called, but one of my runner friends told me about it.  Is it something any of you would suggest?

Andrew 
2009-06-12 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2213131

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
I had the same problem.  I now wear the underarmor compression shorts under my running shorts.  I wear longer type running shorts so I don't look weird with the underarmor showing on my thighs!  Actually the shorts I wear are probably condisered gym shorts and not running shorts.

Good luck!

-- Charlie1
2009-06-12 10:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

wkwl2714 - 2009-06-12 11:03 AM I have also heard something about some lubricant you can use that will avoid this problem.  Not sure what it is called, but one of my runner friends told me about it.  Is it something any of you would suggest?

Andrew 

It's called Bodyglide - http://www.trisports.com/bod13oz.html

I've never used it on my thighs, I use it pretty much everywhere else though....with my wetsuit (neck line, calves so the suits comes off easier, arm area when wearing a sleeveless suit), toes/feet (blister prone areas, esp when going sockless during  race), bike shorts area instead of chamois cream. 

Give it a shot...if it works, it'll be one of the best investments you make.

-Tim

2009-06-12 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

fontaic - 2009-06-12 9:36 AM OK,  let's see if I have this straight:

Is that how it works?

-- Charlie1

Regardless of one or two piece, I'd wear it under my wetsuit.  My very first tri I put on a top in T1 and it was impossible.  Like Keri said, it ate up time.

Depending on the size of the race, they may or may not have neutral support.  Most bigger races will have it, but I would make the assumption that they won't get to you for 20-30min at best.  I had a friend walk over 2mi during the bike portion of an IM before.  95+% of all issues will be a flat tire.  Make sure you bring a spare tube, tire lever, and co2 or pump.  Besides that, pay attention to your bikes..the noises, now it rides etc.  I would do a once over on the bike about 2 wks out.   That way if you need to take it to the LBS you'll have plenty of time.  I ride my bike a lot so I am a big proponent of doing the regular maintenance...I'll regrease the chain once every cpl weeks (or more if riding in rain etc.), I'll change cable/housing annually.  Rebuild bottom bracket annually.  I can not stand any creaking noises...so I am usually on things quickly.  If the bike is well maintained, chances are you won't have any issues short of some fluke.  If you are unsure, you can always ask your LBS to do the "once-over" for you. 

-Tim

2009-06-12 11:15 AM

User image

Veteran

wkwl2714 - 2009-06-12 11:03 AM Random question.  I have been doing my training consistently this week with almost no problems.  However, I have some chaffing going on in my inner thigh area.  Any suggestions as to what to wear b/c I mix up what I wear from workout to workout.  I need to try to fix this or else I might have to miss a day or two of training b/c it hurts. I have also heard something about some lubricant you can use that will avoid this problem.  Not sure what it is called, but one of my runner friends told me about it.  Is it something any of you would suggest?

Andrew 

Andrew,

In addition to what Tim said, you can try to put some corn starch on your inner thighs. You can do this before your workout and also right before you go to bed. It should help clear up the chaffing a bit.

2009-06-12 11:17 AM

New user

Tennessee
Thanks for the help Charlie1 and Tim. I'll be sure to give it a try.
2009-06-12 12:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
wkwl2714 - 2009-06-12 11:03 AM Random question.  I have been doing my training consistently this week with almost no problems.  However, I have some chaffing going on in my inner thigh area.  Any suggestions as to what to wear b/c I mix up what I wear from workout to workout.  I need to try to fix this or else I might have to miss a day or two of training b/c it hurts.
Andrew 

As Charlie said, UnderArmor or other spandex-type will help provide some protection to that area.  Sometimes I run with just that spandex, other times I may put on a pair of shorts "to provide a little better modesty".  I found that running in simply cotton shorts or the longer shorts common today greatly increased the likelihood of problems.  Both will rub quite a bit against the skin, and create that rash. 
I think Laura suggested corn starch.  On really hot/humid days, I do use baby powder before putting on shorts - just to help with moisture.
Lastly, I found that different running styles made me more or less prone to these issues.  In other words, how am I striding - what is my run step.  If it is more like a walk, there would be more frequent contact in the thigh reason.  When I got to more of a running stride, there would be less contact in the thighs.

So, if sore right now, invest in spandex running shorts (at a place like Dick's Sporting Goods) or the spandex bathing suit (aka jammers).  Wearing that now will provide an extra layer of protection - another skin almost - whiel you continue to work out.
2009-06-12 3:08 PM

User image

Pro
Houston

Y'all will be glad to know the pitty party is over Smile

I rode my bike to the Y, was swimming and still feeling somewhat yucky but kept on swimming.  Then started chatting with the gal in the lane next to me.  I asked her if she competes and she told me yes, I am ramping up for IMAZ!  It is going to be her 4th IM!!!  We talk a little about training and I tell her about my week and she comments on my 'nice stroke & swim' and tells me I'll do fine in the next race.  That's really what I needed.  Between the neck, sicky baby and this party my brain has been getting in my way.  Keep it simple.  Train and try not to stress.  We had a great 30 minute conversation, super cool!

2009-06-12 9:38 PM
in reply to: #2214176

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
Glad to hear your week is improving.  Today is a good day.  I received my wetsuit and my bike!  I am currently unpacking my bike and hope to assemble it tonight so I can ride tomorrow morning.  If only I didn't drink those two (OK, three glasses of merlot).  I had to change my blog title and my bio to reflect my current status.  I am totally psyched!

Tonight I also stopped at Modells (sports store) and purchased their last pair of cycle shorts.

God is good!

Edited by fontaic 2009-06-12 9:49 PM
2009-06-14 8:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Subject: eagleman

For those of you who want to track Charlie2 during his first half today.

http://ironman.com/events/ironman70.3/eagleman70.3?show=tracker

Bib Number 891

He finished the swim in 46min.  Based on swim times, it seems like the water was a bit rough. 

2009-06-14 7:50 PM
in reply to: #2216030

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Subject: RE: eagleman

Congrats Charlie2!!!  Your times look great!  How was it out there?

swim 37:20
bike 3:00:13
run 2:07:56
Total 5:52:01

Can't wait to read your RR.

-Tim

2009-06-14 7:53 PM
in reply to: #2216030

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
Way to go, Charlie2
Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the day.
2009-06-15 8:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
My bike came partially assembled but it I wasn't too confident I could hook up the front brakes and weird shifters on the front brake handles properly so I waited for a friend to help me.  We got everything put together yesterday and I try to pump up the tires but they have these strange needle type of fittings.  I unscrew a piece on the fitting and the entire tire goes flat instantly so I can't even test if the shifters we hooked up work properly!

Finally I figure out how to change the little Bell hand pump I bought at Walmart to work with the weird fitting (OK, son #2 figured it out, that's why I sent him to college) and get some air in the tire.  I had just enough time to ride it down the street and shift into a higher gear but then I couldn't figure out how to get it into a lower gear so I could get up the driveway ... before I had to leave for a barbeque.

So, I was able to ride for about 150 feet this weekend and am wondering if I should record it in my training log.  Things sure have changed in the 45 years I used to ride a bike.

2009-06-15 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2214860

User image

Pro
Houston
fontaic - 2009-06-12 9:38 PM Glad to hear your week is improving.  Today is a good day.  I received my wetsuit and my bike!  I am currently unpacking my bike and hope to assemble it tonight so I can ride tomorrow morning.  If only I didn't drink those two (OK, three glasses of merlot).  I had to change my blog title and my bio to reflect my current status.  I am totally psyched!

Tonight I also stopped at Modells (sports store) and purchased their last pair of cycle shorts.

God is good!

Yay Tri Mail Laughing  How is the bike???  We need pics!!!
2009-06-15 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2216915

User image

Pro
Houston
konichiwa - 2009-06-14 7:50 PM

Congrats Charlie2!!!  Your times look great!  How was it out there?

swim 37:20
bike 3:00:13
run 2:07:56
Total 5:52:01

Can't wait to read your RR.

-Tim

DUUUUUDE!!!  You totally rock!  I hope had a great time and are recovering well.  Don't leave us hangin on that RR.

2009-06-15 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2217866

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland
THANKS EVERYONE!!!!    Nice to have the group's support.....really. 

Busy morning, but RR coming!

Special thanks to Tim for his tips.....they helped!  RR by end of day!!!   
2009-06-15 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2217759

User image

Pro
Houston
fontaic - 2009-06-15 8:42 AM .  Things sure have changed in the 45 years I used to ride a bike.

Here's another tip I learned when I got my new bike.  When you pedal backwards the bike doesn't stop!!!  I have to say I miss that feature from my 1978 Huffy.

And why can't they just use the universal tube/pump thingy that every single bike we've ridden since we were 4 have???  What is the deal with this long needle thingy???  I was told by some dude at an LBS (that wanted to sell me a $60 hand pump) that I had to have his special pump and a regular pump wouldn't work.  Did you get the Bell to work?  Cause if I could get a hand pump at Walmart..... well then, I'd have a hand pump.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » konichiwa's mentor group - Are we having fun yet? - FULL Rss Feed  

of 19