BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-01-09 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2604507

Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!
BoomerNJ - 2010-01-09 7:47 AM

I got up at 0600 this morning for my first tri training class at my gym, I even took an extra day off (yesterday) so I'd be ready!  , so I check the class sched...  Class starts next week...  Oh well, so I was a little early... 

Classic,,,, at least you didn't waste the time.

Edited by DougJ 2010-01-09 10:24 AM

2010-01-09 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2604507

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!

BoomerNJ - 2010-01-09 7:47 AM
kenj - 2010-01-08 10:17 AM

Have a great weekend everyone!  I will check in when I can but I have a lot of family here at disney for the race with me so my internet time will be a bit scarce!!!

Remember to keep up the great work you have started the first week of the new year!!!

GOOD LUCK KEN!!!  Woohooooo! 

So, here's my brain fart of the week story for today...

I got up at 0600 this morning for my first tri training class at my gym, I even took an extra day off (yesterday) so I'd be ready!  We have a USAT certified & multi-IM finisher for a coach, she is a VERY good trainer at the gym & a wealth of info on tri training too, so I was super excited!  Well, the class was scheduled to start at 0630, and I'm still the only one there, so I check the class sched...  Class starts next week...  Oh well, so I was a little early...  Anyway, I swam for 30m (800m) & now I'm off to run with my running club...  Have a great weekend everyone!

Thanks Boomer! 

Better to be early rather than late!!!

2010-01-09 3:15 PM
in reply to: #2604151

User image

Welllington, NZ
niasa - 2010-01-09 2:31 PM Got the trainer set up.  Very different from being outside!!  At least it's warm.  Only 10 mins, but I feel a little unsteady on it.  I think it may be a trust issue.  Also, my wrists seemed to get tired very quickly, any suggestions??  I read the instructions before I took it completely out of the box in case I needed to get anything.  I went out and bought a wheel "skewer??" and then found one in the box, do these things wear out or should I just take it back?  Have a good weekend everyone, and GOOD LUCK to those racing this weekend.

Not sure what this skewer thing is but do you have the front wheel raised at all? If not, and the bike is leaning slightly down (from having the rear wheel higher than normal on the roller/in the frame) then try putting something under the front wheel to bring it up level. You can buy these things but anything works as long as it is sturdy and steady.

Lewis.
2010-01-09 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2604089

User image

Welllington, NZ
selonimes - 2010-01-09 1:50 PM Last day of week 2 couch to 5k. Was a good run...I am ready to move on to the next week. I have a question regarding pace. While I was doing the workout I was playing around with pace a little. Is pace going to ultimately be a personal choice or is there a way to maximize pace for the distance? I was thinking its probably something I will learn and my body will learn but I feel like I personally have two speeds. A quicker paced jog, and then more like a trot. Does everyone experience something similar and what are you personal experiences!

I think you'll find a nice pace once doing it a bit - it depends on your breathing rythym and stride length etc. Once you'll found your ideal pace, and you can get into that rythym you'll know. On long runs it'll be easier to slow down the pace once you're fatigued a bit. When you've found it then start playing around with upping pace/increasing stride length and your breathing rythym will change automatically - it might not be comfortable though!

Lewis.
2010-01-10 7:31 PM
in reply to: #2578675

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Congrats to Ken for giving the Goofy a piledriver.  We never got a chance to meet in person (only about 50,000 people there) but I tracked his results on my phone.

My wife ran the 1/2 and it was in miserable conditions.  I'm sure Ken being from NY thought it was a spring day but for us Floridians it was COLD! (28-29F with a windchill in the teens, light snow, sleet, freezing rain the entire race).  It was tough for those out there.

Heck, my face was numb and I was spectating.

Anyway congrats to Ken and my wife.  I know they both have been training for this one for a while.

2010-01-10 8:39 PM

User image

New user
I have to say I like the cold down here in Florida...but then I was like I will go for a bike ride...hmmm nope too cold. I will go to the gym So I get to the gym...and they close...so much for being called 24 hour fitness. Week 3 couch to 5k tomorrow!Grats on the race this week Ken...crazy weather...it was shall we say...GOOFY?!

2010-01-10 8:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Save the skewer.  You'll have a use.  Also, I agree, you need to elevate the front wheel, right?  They sell athing to steady and elevate the front wheel.  Another good thing - a bike bra...they are a piece of cloth from the handlebars to the seat to catch the sweat.  Keeps it off the frmoe and the headset where sweat can cause problems. 

Pace on the run - I was taught to start out easy on the couch to 5K.  The key is no injuries.  And yes, you'll find that you have an aerobic pace (you can talk) and one that is at your aerobic threshold (where talking becomes difficult.)  Stay at the aerobic for a while.  Later, when you can run the full half hour, you can start adding fartleks - Swedish word.  They are intervals of faster pace running.  Go moderate, then fast for a minute, moderate, fast.  Do that for 5 minutes...then stretch them out.  No more than once a week.  But, it's the fartleks that will make you faster.   Keep in mind you are talking to someone who started running last year for the first time in 40 years.  But I got good instruction.  There are some good web sites on beginning running, just like this one for beginning triathletes. 
2010-01-11 7:08 AM
in reply to: #2606542

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

TriRSquared - 2010-01-10 8:31 PM Congrats to Ken for giving the Goofy a piledriver.  We never got a chance to meet in person (only about 50,000 people there) but I tracked his results on my phone.

My wife ran the 1/2 and it was in miserable conditions.  I'm sure Ken being from NY thought it was a spring day but for us Floridians it was COLD! (28-29F with a windchill in the teens, light snow, sleet, freezing rain the entire race).  It was tough for those out there.

Heck, my face was numb and I was spectating.

Anyway congrats to Ken and my wife.  I know they both have been training for this one for a while.

Thanks!  I had a lot of fun, despite the cold!  Too bad we couldn't have met, but tough to find people there with that size crowd.  Took 45 minutes to find my wife on Saturday!  She had my warm clothes, needless to say I checked them yesterday so I had them as soon as I was finished!

Congratulations to your wife for beating her goals!

2010-01-11 7:08 AM
in reply to: #2606659

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

selonimes - 2010-01-10 9:39 PM I have to say I like the cold down here in Florida...but then I was like I will go for a bike ride...hmmm nope too cold. I will go to the gym So I get to the gym...and they close...so much for being called 24 hour fitness. Week 3 couch to 5k tomorrow!Grats on the race this week Ken...crazy weather...it was shall we say...GOOFY?!

Yes it was!  The good news is we are heading home early tomorrow so your weather will return to normal!

2010-01-11 7:18 AM
in reply to: #2606669

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

IceManScott - 2010-01-10 9:44 PM Save the skewer.  You'll have a use.  Also, I agree, you need to elevate the front wheel, right?  They sell athing to steady and elevate the front wheel.  Another good thing - a bike bra...they are a piece of cloth from the handlebars to the seat to catch the sweat.  Keeps it off the frmoe and the headset where sweat can cause problems. 

I agree, I have one by Cyclops that works well, I have heard of people using phone books, but I have never tried it.

Pace on the run - I was taught to start out easy on the couch to 5K.  The key is no injuries.  And yes, you'll find that you have an aerobic pace (you can talk) and one that is at your aerobic threshold (where talking becomes difficult.)  Stay at the aerobic for a while.  Later, when you can run the full half hour, you can start adding fartleks - Swedish word.  They are intervals of faster pace running.  Go moderate, then fast for a minute, moderate, fast.  Do that for 5 minutes...then stretch them out.  No more than once a week.  But, it's the fartleks that will make you faster.   Keep in mind you are talking to someone who started running last year for the first time in 40 years.  But I got good instruction.  There are some good web sites on beginning running, just like this one for beginning triathletes. 

Again, good advice.  There are usually some good threads in the forums here as well, plus you can always do a search to find some history.  There are some very strong runners on this site and most of them are very polite in sharing their knowledge.  Although their typical advice is to build your volume up slowly, use hills for strength building, and slowly add strides and fartleks after you get your volume up. 

2010-01-11 7:21 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I've noticed that some of you are very good at using your logs and have a lot of stuff on them, some are just minimally logging and others of you nothing at all.  I just want to make sure those of you in the latter catagory are comfortable with the functions of this site and answer any questions if you have one!

2010-01-11 1:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm just logging times here mostly.  I have to log elsewhere for my coach and it gets cumbersome trying to keep them all up.
2010-01-11 6:38 PM
in reply to: #2607977

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

IceManScott - 2010-01-11 2:46 PM

I hope you don't mind, but I'm just logging times here mostly.  I have to log elsewhere for my coach and it gets cumbersome trying to keep them all up.

No, you're fine! But some aren't logging at all and I just want to make sure everyone uses the site the way they want to!

2010-01-12 11:18 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Quiet around here this week! 

How is everyone's training going?  Anything you would like to discuss?

2010-01-12 12:02 PM
in reply to: #2609663

User image

New user
I am trying to figure out what plan I would do after the Couch to 5k. It seems logical of course to continue to add time and distance for the running, but I will want to have a structured plan. I was wondering how to get into a good bike plan. Right now I am using a mountain bike and its very interesting. Additionally can you use a mountain bike with a trainer, just change the wheels to road wheels? That could be a good alternative. Ken-glad you made it home safe.
2010-01-12 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2609749

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

selonimes - 2010-01-12 1:02 PM I am trying to figure out what plan I would do after the Couch to 5k. It seems logical of course to continue to add time and distance for the running, but I will want to have a structured plan. I was wondering how to get into a good bike plan. Right now I am using a mountain bike and its very interesting. Additionally can you use a mountain bike with a trainer, just change the wheels to road wheels? That could be a good alternative. Ken-glad you made it home safe.

Thanks!

You can buy road tires for your mountain bike, and you can use this set up both on a trainer and outside.  Even for your first race.  A good local bike shop should be able to help you with this.  Whether outside or on the trainer the key is to get consistent seat time.  Just like running, you will need to build some base miles.  (Swimming too!)

There are several sprint plans available on this site at the free membership level that are great for getting you to your first race, which I believe is in Sebring in June.  Here is the link to those plans - plans

I would suggest, depending on when your current plan is done that you look at either the 16 or 20 week bike focused sprint plan.  I believe these plans you can down load to your blog so you have a schedule every day.  I have used quite a few of the plans on BT so if you have any questions on the jargon or abbreviations please ask. 

2010-01-12 12:39 PM

Subject: Swim
I am doing a 21 stroke per 25 yrds. What is a good stroke rate at that distance. Or are we worrying about that too soon.

I'm also finding that my breathing to the left seems to be more fluent than to the right but yet I am a righty. ???

I was able to finally get a full 100 yrds in without stopping (except the turns). Then I just did a bunch of 50 yrd swims and more practice on the "Total Immersion" techniques.
2010-01-12 1:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

21 isn't bad.  But focusing on count may leave you kicking harder than you want.  Kicking results in very little propulsion for a very large energy expense.  Kicking is to keep your legs up and help you balance.

More important, focus on form and gliding through the water.  Remember, easier is faster.  Struggling sucks.  I've been working on that 2-3 times a week for a year and am just now really feeling good about it.  Yet, I competed in 3 triathlons last year.  So you don't have to be perfect right away.   Practice, practice, practice.
2010-01-12 1:27 PM
in reply to: #2609941

Subject: Swim
Thanks IceMan,
I really wasn't focusing on my strokes, but was curious. I did 3 25 yrds and counted just to see. My main focus is still on the breathing, head still, body rotation, and balance.
I still have 8 1/2 months to get this thing at a decent pace with minimal exertion. (I bet they go quick)

IceMan,
I have been watching and looking for a 5k, 10K run somewhere in the neighborhood of Danville. Be nice to do a run with ya,,, or at least behind ya while choking on the dust cloud.

Edited by DougJ 2010-01-12 1:29 PM
2010-01-12 2:50 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I agree, 21 isn't bad at this point!  I also agree with Iceman on the over reliance on the legs if it isn't from a smooth stroke.  But, every 4 or 5 weeks it wouldn't hurt to do a comparison, hopefully to build some mental confidence from the improvement.  I believe that in the Total Immersion book he talks about golf.  A combination of stroke count and time, which is probably a better measurement of stroke improvement.  

Keep doing the drills, spending the time in the water and you will gain comfort and confidence.  And relax in the water! 

2010-01-12 6:57 PM
in reply to: #2609842

User image

Welllington, NZ
Subject: RE: Swim
DougJ - 2010-01-13 7:39 AM I am doing a 21 stroke per 25 yrds. What is a good stroke rate at that distance. Or are we worrying about that too soon.

I'm also finding that my breathing to the left seems to be more fluent than to the right but yet I am a righty. ???

I was able to finally get a full 100 yrds in without stopping (except the turns). Then I just did a bunch of 50 yrd swims and more practice on the "Total Immersion" techniques.

Doug, i'm not even counting my strokes at this point. I'm also a righty and left side breathing is WAY easier for me than right. I think for us at the beginning (well it seems to be working for me at this stage) it's about building base up - i'm stoked with my breathing improvements (on the left side anyway) since starting about 6 weeks ago. Some days don't seem to be so great, but overall i notice improvements over time...

Lewis.

2010-01-13 6:16 PM

User image

New user
Went to the Runners Depot down here and Florida and got fit for some new running shoes. Ended up with Brooks Dyad5 which is a neutral. I learned a bunch and I am very excited about finding them! Tonight I will try them out.
2010-01-13 10:08 PM

User image

New user
Had a nice run tonight in my new sneaks. They felt great. Had a question about sneaker up keep...do I need to dry them out after each run? If so what are the suggestions?
2010-01-14 4:33 AM
in reply to: #2613016

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

selonimes - 2010-01-13 11:08 PM Had a nice run tonight in my new sneaks. They felt great. Had a question about sneaker up keep...do I need to dry them out after each run? If so what are the suggestions?

Good for you for getting shoes fitted properly!  Your feet will thank you!

As far as care, unless mine get wet from water, not normal sweat, I don't do anything specific.  I usually have 2 or 3 pairs in rotation at any given time and I never run in the same pair 2 days in a row (unless I am traveling and only bring one pair.)  This allows the shoe to dry and the cushioning to relax.  But, until you get to the point where you are running every day or multiple days in a row, just keep them inside and they will be ready to go the next time.

The other thing I like to do is track the mileage so I know when a pair is about to wear out.  Typically I get around 350 miles so I set an equipment alert to let me know when they are getting there.  This way if I have a new brand or model and I notice that they aren't lasting that long I won't get another pair and I'll try another brand.  Also, if it is crappy out I will wear the older ones. You can track them by clicking on settings at the top of the screen and the training log settings tab, and then the equipment tracker tab.  From there you can add an item, put in the brand, model, etc. and expected life.  Put in lifetime miles (That is expected) and change the drop down next to it to miles.

2010-01-14 11:50 PM

User image

New user
I had a question regarding the US Masters Swimming. I was taking a look to try and find where I could get involved, but it seems down here that you have to belong to a club. Is that the norm? I think I can get access to a place to swim, but I was trying to also find something that would have a coach. Perhaps being a newbie I should just stick to the public pool and swim on my own? Additionally I was also thinking lots about biking recently. Yes I can ride a bike. This is a good thing! What I wanted to know was how to learn more about the newer bikes as far as the different gears and when to use them. Would a local cycle club be the best place to get that info? The only issue I see with that is that they routes I see them doing are pretty long rides at the moment. Another cycle question: should I look into a coach for that to learn form and the other ins and outs of the sport? Is it possible to learn much of this on your own? Any good website suggestions that would have good information regarding etiquette and things like how to shift with the new shifters when I get a new road bike.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  

of 29