BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-04-11 7:45 PM
in reply to: #2769226

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-04-11 7:47 PM

2010-04-11 8:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
Hi all!

I'm back from my training weekend down on the Wildflower course, looks like everyone got some good training and racing in this weekend!

My weekend was great, it was really cool to get away from everyday life and just really focus on triathlon for three days. I did a short sunset run on the Oly course after arriving on Friday night, then on Saturday we ended up doing a swim and biking the course. I'm so glad I got to see the course ahead of time because the hills on the bike course are no joke. Ended up feeling strong on the bike so I'm pretty happy with how I did considering that climbing is not my strong suit. The rest of the day on Saturday we had clinics, and this morning we ran the Oly run course. I put more detail in my blog, but overall it was a great weekend!

One thing I wanted to ask, I actually had ART done on my back and calves this weekend for the first time ever, and I wanted to see if anyone else here has experience with it. It helped my neck a lot and I feel like it might compliment the chiropractic care I already get on a monthly basis. Anyone have any experience with ART they care to share? 
2010-04-11 9:29 PM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
It was a tough day out there for me today.  I was doing well for the first six miles  but then I  TOTALLY fell apart during the rest of the race. While my quads were hurting, the lack of energy was the biggest problem. I ended up walking A LOT.  I wasn't feeling well at the finish and headed right home where I proceeded to get pretty sick. I am now thinking I have/had some type of bug and that that was part of why I struggled.
The other possibility is my nutrition.  While I have always used the same things (gels, H2o and Powerade) the last few long runs have left me nauseous and a bit light headed at the end. This did not happen in Arizona when I did the half marathon there or during other long runs a few months back.  I drank a bit more Powerade (a flavor off of the course ) and an additional gel with the hopes that it would help me. I wonder it that could have done something. Also, I did a ten mile run last week without any muscle pain. Today, by mile eight, my quads were hurting.  Also what happened to me after the race at home (thank goodness) was much worse then anything I have previously experienced. It was like having food poisoning and then felling like you are about to pass out at the same time.  Like I said, I felt nauseous after the race and ate something and felt a bit better. Then once at home I thought I was going to die.
I am feeling a bit better now but still feel kinda crappy.   I am glad that I finished the race though. I am just disappointed that I couldn't finish the way I started.
2010-04-12 12:02 AM
in reply to: #2784103

Master
Redlands, CA
calimavs - 2010-04-11 6:29 PM Hi all!

I'm back from my training weekend down on the Wildflower course, looks like everyone got some good training and racing in this weekend!

My weekend was great, it was really cool to get away from everyday life and just really focus on triathlon for three days. I did a short sunset run on the Oly course after arriving on Friday night, then on Saturday we ended up doing a swim and biking the course. I'm so glad I got to see the course ahead of time because the hills on the bike course are no joke. Ended up feeling strong on the bike so I'm pretty happy with how I did considering that climbing is not my strong suit. The rest of the day on Saturday we had clinics, and this morning we ran the Oly run course. I put more detail in my blog, but overall it was a great weekend!

One thing I wanted to ask, I actually had ART done on my back and calves this weekend for the first time ever, and I wanted to see if anyone else here has experience with it. It helped my neck a lot and I feel like it might compliment the chiropractic care I already get on a monthly basis. Anyone have any experience with ART they care to share? 

Cali,

First off, I'm envious that you got to go to a camp!  Glad you enjoyed yourself, and when the bib numbers come up you'll have to let me know as I'll be tracking a few of my friends as well.

I've had ART done on my Achilles tear.  I had a knot in the area of the injury and he worked out; it was painful but I do think it helped.  The science behind it makes sense, and I honestly think without it I may have needed surgery.
2010-04-12 12:11 AM
in reply to: #2784203

Expert
Thornton, CO
Kathleen, sorry to hear about that.  But at the same time hopefully you can use that experience and learn from it.  Having a bad day often teaches you more than having a good day.  Hopefully you can take that experience, figure out what caused it and make the next race even better. 

2010-04-12 12:15 AM
in reply to: #2784376

Expert
Thornton, CO
furiousferret - 2010-04-11 11:02 PM
calimavs - 2010-04-11 6:29 PM Hi all!

Cali,

First off, I'm envious that you got to go to a camp!  Glad you enjoyed yourself, and when the bib numbers come up you'll have to let me know as I'll be tracking a few of my friends as well.

I've had ART done on my Achilles tear.  I had a knot in the area of the injury and he worked out; it was painful but I do think it helped.  The science behind it makes sense, and I honestly think without it I may have needed surgery.

Can someone explain what ART exactly is?  I go to a chiropractor, but have never heard of this.  My first reaction to furriousferret's post was... "ART?... as in an M-Dot tattoo?"... so obviously I have no clue.
2010-04-12 12:30 AM

Expert
Kath2163 - 2010-04-11 8:29 PM It was a tough day out there for me today.  I was doing well for the first six miles  but then I  TOTALLY fell apart during the rest of the race. While my quads were hurting, the lack of energy was the biggest problem. I ended up walking A LOT.  I wasn't feeling well at the finish and headed right home where I proceeded to get pretty sick. I am now thinking I have/had some type of bug and that that was part of why I struggled.
The other possibility is my nutrition.  While I have always used the same things (gels, H2o and Powerade) the last few long runs have left me nauseous and a bit light headed at the end. This did not happen in Arizona when I did the half marathon there or during other long runs a few months back.  I drank a bit more Powerade (a flavor off of the course ) and an additional gel with the hopes that it would help me. I wonder it that could have done something. Also, I did a ten mile run last week without any muscle pain. Today, by mile eight, my quads were hurting.  Also what happened to me after the race at home (thank goodness) was much worse then anything I have previously experienced. It was like having food poisoning and then felling like you are about to pass out at the same time.  Like I said, I felt nauseous after the race and ate something and felt a bit better. Then once at home I thought I was going to die.
I am feeling a bit better now but still feel kinda crappy.   I am glad that I finished the race though. I am just disappointed that I couldn't finish the way I started.

Wow...no fun. Hopefully you'll figure it out. I'm guessing stomach bug because you've done the distance before and it sounds like you were vigilant on your nutrition.
2010-04-12 12:31 AM

Master
Redlands, CA
Grats on your PR zion!

Sara - Good luck on the pf... you can alway focus on the swim and let it heal.

Dylan and PennState -  I was never a big fan of bike fits until my last bike which I forked over some cash to get it professionally fit.  I'm not faster in it, but I'm alot more comfortable in it.  I can't even ride my old bike anymore.

Kathleen -  Sorry about your race,  something like that seems to happen to me every other race. 

Well, I had to take 2 begrudging days off where I had a fever over 100.  I probably slept about 28 of that 48 hour period.   I had no energy at all.   Today I felt better and did a short 3 mile run and a 1k yard swim;  The cool thing is I PR'ed my 100 time by 4 seconds!  1:42!

I posted a youtube  video of my swimming http://www.youtube.com/user/furyousferret?feature=mhw5#p/a/u/0/7HPYppY4x70 got some good advice, and only followed half of it and I PR'ed it with little effort (I actually wasn't going 100%).  Once I get everything fixed I don't think sub 1:30 is impossible.

The bad thing is I can't hold my good form for more than 200 yards;  I can go all day with my slow? f?orm, but hopefully I can get it dialed in? ?b???????e?fore the IM.??? 
2010-04-12 12:37 AM
in reply to: #2784383

Master
Redlands, CA
zionvier - 2010-04-11 10:15 PM
Can someone explain what ART exactly is?  I go to a chiropractor, but have never heard of this.  My first reaction to furriousferret's post was... "ART?... as in an M-Dot tattoo?"... so obviously I have no clue.

Active Release Therapy; it breaks up scar tissue post injury, it addresses a very specific but common problem and is very effective.

http://www.youtube.com/user/furyousferret?feature=mhw5#p/a/f/1/orQlLeTqX18

That's the best explanation I could find; and I spent alot of time on the subject.
2010-04-12 4:46 AM

2010-04-12 4:50 AM

2010-04-12 5:02 AM

2010-04-12 5:03 AM
in reply to: #2784379

2010-04-12 7:12 AM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Kath2163 - 2010-04-11 10:29 PM It was a tough day out there for me today.  I was doing well for the first six miles  but then I  TOTALLY fell apart during the rest of the race. While my quads were hurting, the lack of energy was the biggest problem. I ended up walking A LOT.  I wasn't feeling well at the finish and headed right home where I proceeded to get pretty sick. I am now thinking I have/had some type of bug and that that was part of why I struggled.

Sorry your race day didn't go as you had hoped.  It sure sounds like a virus rather than anything you did in the race.

2010-04-12 7:59 AM

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
Kath - Sorry to hear about the race.  I had a similar experience with my first race of the season.  I was trying to go sub-20 for the first time on a 5k and felt pretty ready, until I started throwing up the morning of the race!  My family had been sick, and it caught up to me on race day.  I ended up runnning just over 25min, and felt like crap all day.  I might give it another try this weekend... it depends if my wife is working though.

I had a question about bike fit as well... I don't have the money to get a pro fit, but when I took my bike out yesterday, the seat felt ridiculously high.  I don't remember it feeling that way last year, but maybe I was just used to it.  Is there a basic rule to follow, like should my legs be straight/slightly bent when I'm sitting on the seat?  Should I be able to touch the ground while sitting?  I have a duathlon coming up in June, and I want to get some quality time on the bike before then, so any help is very much appreciated.  Maybe I could have my wife take some pics of me on the bike... would that help?

2010-04-12 9:21 AM

2010-04-12 9:45 AM

Master
Millersville, MD
Kathy - my apologies as well for a frustrating race.  Often, imho, they prove to be the ones where the best lessons are learned.

I've had some of those over the years and have identified flaws in my training/prep.  This past sunday, I felt like it all came together for me and had a GREAT race.  I ran 1 minute per mile faster than my 10K PR... in a 10 MILE race.  I'm literally a different person after 6 months of smart training.

Fred - my views on bikes... I've owned (and crashed and totalled) a high end carbon bike, as well as a Trek 1000 POS (which is a fine bike actually, although mine was too big for me).

What do I own now -- a "high end" aluminum bike with carbon fork/seatpost... in my case a cervelo P2SL.  I'm probably going to buy a road bike soon and it will be the same thing... either a cervelo S1 or a candondale CAAD9.  It's the sweet spot for me -- better bike than half of the knock-off carbon frames out there, but WAY cheaper.  And I don't have to baby it.  I have a bike so I can ride it hard.

To be honest other than on a really bumpy patch of road where the old bike had a slight nod in the ability of the frame to absorb some of the shock (and frankly 10 psi of tire pressure would make more of a difference there), there is no difference between my old P2C and my new P2SL.

You'll be seeing my sporting an aluminum tri bike, disc cover, and borrowed/rented front wheel at LP.
2010-04-12 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2784956

Expert
Thornton, CO
JoshKaptur - 2010-04-12 8:45 AM
You'll be seeing my sporting an aluminum tri bike, disc cover, and borrowed/rented front wheel at LP.

It's all about the engine in the end anyway.
2010-04-12 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2785351

2010-04-12 11:55 AM
in reply to: #2784956

2010-04-12 12:18 PM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I got fitted properly when I bought my tri bike back in 07, it was part of the purchase so I can's say it was money well spent, but it was certainly worth buying the bike locally and spending the time to get the fit done properly.  I am going to get it done again in another month or 2, once I get in a little better bike shape.  Between all the different times I have taken it apart for shipping I know it is off some.  Plus, I think I am a better cyclist now and can get a bit more aggresive.  I am more than willing to periodically pay for this service (my wife just hopes I don't get a free fitting ).

I did LP in 08 with an aluminum frame with carbon forks and seat post and will probably do Florida this year with the same bike, although this year I will have race wheels.  I had my rear derailleur break last fall and when it snapped around it chipped the paint and nicked the tube.  The bike shop told me I would have bought a frame if it had been carbon, instead just a little touch up paint.

2010-04-12 1:34 PM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Thanks everyone for the support and well wishes.  I am feeling better today.  I sure hope it was some type of virus and not some training/nutrition issue. If that were a regular occurance I wouldn't sign up for another race. 

Does anyone ever experience nausea after a race or long run or..? I am not talking about pushing yourself to the point of "puking" (can't think of a better word) but just the feeling of nausea.  That has happened to me a couple of times. Usually, once I eat I feel better.  Is that from lack of calories or...???

Edited by Kath2163 2010-04-12 1:41 PM
2010-04-12 1:57 PM
in reply to: #2785858

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Kath2163 - 2010-04-12 2:34 PM Thanks everyone for the support and well wishes.  I am feeling better today.  I sure hope it was some type of virus and not some training/nutrition issue. If that were a regular occurance I wouldn't sign up for another race. 

Does anyone ever experience nausea after a race or long run or..? I am not talking about pushing yourself to the point of "puking" (can't think of a better word) but just the feeling of nausea.  That has happened to me a couple of times. Usually, once I eat I feel better.  Is that from lack of calories or...???

Occasionally, especially after higher intensity workouts, I will get a sour stomach, but it is usually just means I need to eat a little something.  I do about 70% of my workouts in the morning and if it is going to be less than 90 minutes I usually don't have anything more than coffee and maybe some sports drink , water or gel so I am usually overdue.  I know it isn't the ideal situation, but I get up early enough without getting up earlier to eat. 

2010-04-12 2:39 PM
in reply to: #2784441

Master
Redlands, CA
PennState - 2010-04-12 3:02 AM Chris, you are smart to take the days off. You have a very important race coming up and need rest and recovery. Also be happy that you are sick now and not in a few weeks from now!

I still don't feel too great, I definately can't push myself right now, and I think I'm going to stick with a simple 1k swim and 3 mile run again.  I hate to modify my schedule for the umpteenth time but I really want to do that Oly this weekend and if it were today, there is no way I could do it.

If push comes to shove I wont do the oly but I really haven't been in a OWS where I've had to compete for 'space' and I really don't want the IM to be my first.

Edited by furiousferret 2010-04-12 2:40 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121