BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2010-12-27 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3262570

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
RunFasterMommy - 2010-12-27 8:25 AM
IceManScott - 2010-12-27 9:14 AM
RunFasterMommy - 2010-12-27 8:09 AM Ok I'm ready , here I go with my first "what the heck am I doing?" type of question?!

My race is Sept 11th.  I was planning to use the 20 week BT beginner Ironman plan here. Today marks 37 weeks till the race, so that gives me 17 weeks to base train.   What sort of "base" should I aim for?  I've got my next full marathon Feb 19th, so running is not really an issue, as I can maintain that, but swimming and biking....I'm kinda clueless.  Any certain numbers I should aim for in the next 4 months? 

Thoughts? Suggestions? 

What race?  IM Wisconsin? 

Rev3 Cedar Point

The next 17 weeks are time to focus on the running (since you're already doing a marathon in that time).  You simply need to be ready to start the Ironman training plan when it starts, so s/b/r enough to be comfortable with the first 2 weeks of training.  If you're already doing more than that, keep it up as best you can. 

One caution.  IM training is a long slog.  It's easy to be excited and want to do 2-3 hour trainer rides and such now, and then be so burned out with training a month away from the race that you don't ever want to see your bike again.  Now is the time to get things around the house in order, take some walks with that special someone, and do some  of the other things that you really like and won't have time to do during peak training. 

2010-12-27 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3262772

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
zee744 - 2010-12-27 10:34 AM
IceManScott - 2010-12-27 11:32 AM I use Wheelbuilder because I have a Power Tap hub on my wheel.  I like it.   Makes a bit of difference.   Anything to be sleeker

Question about the cover...I have Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels. I'm not sure how my dad ordered them for SL's or other variations on Ksyriums. Not sure on the rim depth difference. How much, if any, of the rim should it cover?

I'll have to look see if I have the instructions.  Certainly not the braking surface, right? 
2010-12-27 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3262827

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
McFuzz - 2010-12-27 10:58 AM
RunFasterMommy - 2010-12-27 8:09 AM Ok I'm ready , here I go with my first "what the heck am I doing?" type of question?!

My race is Sept 11th.  I was planning to use the 20 week BT beginner Ironman plan here. Today marks 37 weeks till the race, so that gives me 17 weeks to base train.   What sort of "base" should I aim for?  I've got my next full marathon Feb 19th, so running is not really an issue, as I can maintain that, but swimming and biking....I'm kinda clueless.  Any certain numbers I should aim for in the next 4 months? 

Thoughts? Suggestions? 

Rev3 Cedar Point

The next 17 weeks are time to focus on the running (since you're already doing a marathon in that time).  You simply need to be ready to start the Ironman training plan when it starts, so s/b/r enough to be comfortable with the first 2 weeks of training.  If you're already doing more than that, keep it up as best you can. 

One caution.  IM training is a long slog.  It's easy to be excited and want to do 2-3 hour trainer rides and such now, and then be so burned out with training a month away from the race that you don't ever want to see your bike again.  Now is the time to get things around the house in order, take some walks with that special someone, and do some  of the other things that you really like and won't have time to do during peak training. 

Agree! Great advice Mike.

Also, Josh and Ree, I'll be doing Racine HIM as well.  I actually did that race in 2008 and 09 before it was an official 70.3.  It's a nice race, although be prepared for the possibility of very cold water conditions.  In 08 the water temp was 55 degrees.   09 a bit better at 64.  

Susie
2010-12-27 12:59 PM
in reply to: #3262865

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
IceManScott - 2010-12-27 12:19 PM
IceManScott - 2010-12-27 11:32 AM I use Wheelbuilder because I have a Power Tap hub on my wheel.  I like it.   Makes a bit of difference.   Anything to be sleeker

Question about the cover...I have Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels. I'm not sure how my dad ordered them for SL's or other variations on Ksyriums. Not sure on the rim depth difference. How much, if any, of the rim should it cover?

I'll have to look see if I have the instructions.  Certainly not the braking surface, right? 

No, not the braking surface. Mine is rather low and doesn't set up well around the non-drive side hub

2010-12-27 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3262827

User image

New user
Myrtle Beach
McFuzz - 2010-12-27 11:58 AM

Thoughts? Suggestions? 

Rev3 Cedar Point

Thanks for the heads up! That's actually a GOOD thing for me to hear, seeing as I have this whole school/graduating thing to do this spring, haha!  I'm sure missing workouts over the next few months will be a bit common.  I guess I was just always under the impression that you had to go into IM training with a huge base, but what you are saying makes total sense.  I will go eyeball the first month of the plan and make sure I am comfortable with that! 
2010-12-27 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3263009

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
zee744 - 2010-12-27 1:59 PM
IceManScott - 2010-12-27 12:19 PM

No, not the braking surface. Mine is rather low and doesn't set up well around the non-drive side hub

I called wheelbuilder. They said that the hub is bigger on the Ksyrium SL (the Ksyrium with the red hub) than on the other Ksyriums. My dad had just ordered it wrong.

On another note...wheelbuilder was verrryyy good on the phone. The woman who answered the phone (yes, not a machine) couldn't answer my question and instantly connected me with a guy who could. He explained what was wrong and told me how to fix it or said I could send it back to them and they would. Very good customer service if you ask me.

2010-12-27 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3262769

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
IceManScott - 2010-12-27 10:32 AM I use Wheelbuilder because I have a Power Tap hub on my wheel.  I like it.   Makes a bit of difference.   Anything to be sleeker

I use foam rollers everyday since my IT band injury.  I also got the Trigger Point collection of rollers so I'm using them on the calves and everywhere else I can think of.  Great tool.  Use them often.  I do stretching exercises that are yoga.  I got some from an ebook called Yoga for Cyclists at Roadbikerider.com.  18 poses that target the areas of particular concern.  I'm honestly more flexible than I have ever been.  Long way to go, but I take this seriously now since the injury.  Can't afford any more.  I also ordered a Training Peaks DVD called Yoga for Cyclists.  Waiting for it.

Also I have An Athletes Pocket Guide to Yoga a book and the Athletes Guide to Yoga, a DVD, both from Amazon.  I don't have time to fit in a class...these are the next best.   Learning as I go. ...

Looked at the Althletes stuff on Amazon and fabulous referals on them.  Going to B&N tonite so will see if they have them in stock so I can look through the book at least a bit more. (gift card burning a hole in my pocket).

Thanks for the advice - More flexible is always a good thing.
2010-12-27 2:28 PM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Sorry I'm so late in getting around to introducing myself. Christmas is crazy in America! CRAZY!!!!  I have finally managed to get through the mass of crap that my house turned into -plus my internet has been really sketchy the past week.  Anyone else have Clearwire?  They suck!

Ok, so here we go. 

Name:  Lynne - 39

Background:  Originally from Scotland.  1st moved to the Seattle area way back in 1996 where I was an Au Pair (Live in Nanny) for a year.  I met my husband - in an AOL chat room of all places during the year I spent here.  I left 14 months later after my visa ran out, hubby came over a few months later to visit and we travelled around Scotland and decided that I would move back and we would get married.  Wasn't really that easy as I was stopped and interrogated at customs in Seattle.  They let me through and 3 months later I was a wife.  Got my residency and green card in Julyof 1998.  Been here ever since.  Phew.  I should be on Oprah with that story.  I still work as a nanny today for 2 twin boys (12) and their 8 year old sister. Yes I consume large amounts of alcohol.  :-D    I don't have any kids (yet) a dog named Rudy and a Lovebird named Cheeps.  

I was very much into sports as a kid, soccer, swimming and hockey!  I love to swim. It's my most favourite thing in the world.  Never did it competitively but I wish I had.  I swam masters 3 times a week at my local pool - 1st 50 meter pool ever built in Scotland and I biked to work everyday..14 miles round trip.    I got into triathlons in 2006 after reading an article about how much fun they were so I signed up for Danskin.   I never managed to do it though as I hurt my back, but a medical rollover made sure I was in for 2006.  But it wasn't my 1st.   April 2007 I did an indoor tri and fell in love.  I went home and signed up for 2 more that very day. My 1st season I completed 7 triathlons. I was hooked - and skint.  I signed up for a 5K the next year.  I am not a runner. It's my worse event but I love a good challenge.  So far I've done 20+ triathlons, a few biking events, lots and lots of swimming events - I swam my 1st 5K this past summer and also did my 1st Ocean swimming event. I've managed to finish 3 1/2 marathons too.

My 2011 goals are to lose weight. I've gained so much in a short space of time   I also started smoking again. I suffer from PTSD after I was assaulted in summer '08.  I'm thinking about getting hypnotherapy for the smoking and PTSD, so I'm looking into that. Those are my two BIG goals.   I'd also like to complete a Half Ironman. I was signed up for one last year and did not train enough for it, so I didn't do it.  The Seattle to Portland bike ride is also on my list and I'd love to attempt a 26.2 next year. Just not sure which one.  There are some events that I do every year that I will be signing up for also but I think my biggest step is getting over hurdles #1 and #2 on my list. 

2010-12-27 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3263133

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Triathlynne, what a great list of accomplishments. And I would love to visit Scotland some day. It's on the bucket list.
2010-12-27 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3261138

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Very nice!!!! I ran 8.44 yesterday. They tell me I'm running too far too soon for a beginner. My knees are a little sore so I'll ratchet it back a bit. Still haven't gotten in our pool yet! And it's WARM! oy....

I also need to log or blog or whatever that means so I'll get to it today... I hope.

I miss Fort Lauderdale beach...so nice and open and CLOSE! 
2010-12-27 3:49 PM
in reply to: #3263073

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
the FOAM ROLLER is my best friend. At 46 and a beginner I couldn't do this without it.

2010-12-27 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3259736

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - OPEN
YES WE DO!! hang in there with me... we can do this. I have a new GPS toy now, I HAVE to use it... my spousal unit is actually VERY VERY supportive. He's training for the ING Miami Marathon end of January. Mr. Superfit...nice. My poison is beer and wine, which I love equally. I barely drink anymore! I've lost @10lbs but need to lose another 20. I'd be so much faster if I didn't have to carry that around!!!

How is it going so far? are you waiting for a particular 'start date'? I recommend going outside and doing ANYTHING. then come in and clean out your cupboards.

protein - I keep metrx shakes around as I think they are tasty. powdered packets, Tuna...nothing like a can of tuna and a piece of toast. and now that you run, you can eat the mayo! FREEDOM! eggs are good, there's too much nutrition in the yolk to throw it out so I usually do one egg and 2 or 3 whites.

here's another hint...if you start adding a bunch of "whole wheat" stuff... your intestines will be aggravated. a good probiotic is necessary. also... bean-o. it's broccoli's best friend.

enough from me... thanks for the note!

GmrGirl - 2010-12-23 5:42 PM
stephsprint - 2010-12-23 1:14 PM Well, so far it looks like everyone is WAY ahead of me! I'm a true beginner. I started running in June. I've done 3 5ks. One was a trail run, which was fun. I'm signed up for another 5k in January the day before my husband runs the ING Miami Marathon. A 10k (my first) a couple weeks after that. Another 5k and then my A1A Half Marathon Feb 20th. I also signed up for the Nautica South Beach Triathlon April 10th. MY FIRST I can bike and have a bike. I can swim but haven't really done laps in 10 years. There is a pool at my building...I plan on getting into it this afternoon. I KNOW NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR THIS..but it's chilly in Miami in the morning. 55-58 degrees!

I'm 46 y/o, not fit, need to lose @ 20lbs. No kids, no pets and I walk 2 blocks to work, so no commute. I just need a little inspiration. I joined a triathlon team here in Miami and met them all last night. They are all very fit and serious, but they seem to be very nice. ::gulp::

This is all new to me. Be patient, please! I need to get to the gym, I need to get in the pool. I just got running shoes that actually fit, so maybe things will stop hurting. I have been running 3x a week and this week I up it to 4. I am running 8 miles on Sunday as part of my half-marathon training plan.

I could rattle on for hours. I'll stop now.  

Meeting the new people are scary.  Great job on getting out there to do it.  I still have to be "coerced"  I did my first group run two weeks ago and it was mostly all these young kids that were very fit.   I was nauseous for 3 days before hand (and it was just a fun run not a race).  Thanks for the encouragement on the smoking.  Looks like you and I have quite a bit in common
2010-12-27 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
What are Fartleks?  Have seen a few people post them in their training logs.
2010-12-27 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3263300

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - OPEN
stephsprint - 2010-12-27 4:13 PM YES WE DO!! hang in there with me... we can do this. I have a new GPS toy now, I HAVE to use it... my spousal unit is actually VERY VERY supportive. He's training for the ING Miami Marathon end of January. Mr. Superfit...nice. My poison is beer and wine, which I love equally. I barely drink anymore! I've lost @10lbs but need to lose another 20. I'd be so much faster if I didn't have to carry that around!!!

How is it going so far? are you waiting for a particular 'start date'? I recommend going outside and doing ANYTHING. then come in and clean out your cupboards.

protein - I keep metrx shakes around as I think they are tasty. powdered packets, Tuna...nothing like a can of tuna and a piece of toast. and now that you run, you can eat the mayo! FREEDOM! eggs are good, there's too much nutrition in the yolk to throw it out so I usually do one egg and 2 or 3 whites.

here's another hint...if you start adding a bunch of "whole wheat" stuff... your intestines will be aggravated. a good probiotic is necessary. also... bean-o. it's broccoli's best friend.

enough from me... thanks for the note!

I have been getting out there almost every day.  Now that I'm getting the bug I want to learn more about the whole shebang and make a real training plan that works for me.  Originally it was just a "will I stick with it" thing.  Looking at December's log I think I'm hooked.

Awesome on the new GPS.  I have a whole list of "toys" I want for next Christmas.

2010-12-27 5:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania

I was thinking about getting some weight training/core work in this winter and was wondering if has any experience with personal trainers?  I've never been big on weights and thought it might be good to work with someone short term (4-8 weeks) just to get started and make sure I'm doing things right.  What do you think?

Art

2010-12-27 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3263400

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
GmrGirl - 2010-12-27 6:31 PM What are Fartleks?  Have seen a few people post them in their training logs.

It's Swedish for "speed play".  Often it is just short bursts of speedwork (1 minute or between telephone poles for instance) included in an otherwise "normal" run. 

2010-12-27 6:34 PM
in reply to: #3262997

Veteran
Susie,

What the heck? Are you yankin' my chain?? Could the water REALLY be that cold in July?  Are you suggesting a wet suit? 

Oh, and we'll have to hook up at the race Smile
2010-12-27 6:40 PM

User image

New user

Eastern Iowa
Ok it is real now.  I just sent in my race application for the Pigman Sprint on 6/5/11.  I announced to all my friends to keep me honest and help along the way.

At what point am I going to yell "What have i gotten myself into?" 
2010-12-27 7:05 PM
in reply to: #3262997

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN

Thoughts? Suggestions? 

Agree! Great advice Mike.

Also, Josh and Ree, I'll be doing Racine HIM as well.  I actually did that race in 2008 and 09 before it was an official 70.3.  It's a nice race, although be prepared for the possibility of very cold water conditions.  In 08 the water temp was 55 degrees.   09 a bit better at 64.  

Susie

I love swimming in the cold water.  It is my strongest of the three splits. I am much faster with my wetsuit on, and I am hoping to be able to post something close to 30 minutes out of the water in Racine.  I beleive the race is now started from a barge if I am not mistaken.  This is the main reason I chose Racine over the Muncie 70.3 (only an hour from my house).

As for the pre-training training for 20 wk IM plan... I had the same question, glad I listened to Mike and did a very unstructured plan prior to starting the 20 wk plan.  There were times when I was staring down a 6 hour bicycle ride and I just thought to myself, what was I thinking?  (most days I was excited to get out of work so I could hit the lake or the pavement)  but burnout can be for real, so keep it medium light and unstructured for now in order to avoid burnout later.
2010-12-27 7:27 PM
in reply to: #3263400

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
GmrGirl - 2010-12-27 5:31 PM What are Fartleks?  Have seen a few people post them in their training logs.

Fartleks (a sweedish word meaning speed play) goes something like this.  Say you are running a medium long run on a country road...  When you get to a telephone pole, you sprint all the way to the next telephone pole, then back the speed down to your normal pace or even a little slower.  Go a few poles then do it again for another 100 yds (one pole to the next).  You never walk, you just add sprints into your normal medium speed run workout.  When we do them, we may try to throw in say 10 or 12 fartleks into a 4 or 5 mile run.
2010-12-27 7:30 PM
in reply to: #3262401

Veteran
McFuzz - 2010-12-27 12:21 AM
Ree - 2010-12-26 10:42 PM Hello all my fellow McFuzzie's! (Thanks, Mike for including me in your group)Wink

Here's a bit about me:  (You can call me Ree)

I'm on here for a few different reason's.  The main one is because my husband joined Mike's mentor group this past year and I watched him go from couch potato to an IRON MAN.  He started last December and did his first IRON MAN this past Aug.  Both Josh and I have made great friends through him being in Mike's mentor group.  The mentor group helped each and every person that was in it & is still helping them. 

When my husband completed his IRON MAN he said that he wanted me to do a race with him.  After watching him the past eight months and then through the race he really inspired me, so of course I told him yes.

Thanks Josh! 

The race that we are planning on doing is the Half IRON MAN in Racine Wisconsin this coming July.

Here's the issue's I currently have: 

1. I've never been a runner
2. I've never been a swimmer
3. I've never been a biker
4. I'm currently over weight

Here's the beauty of this: 

It doesn't matter what you have or haven't done in the past!  What matters is what you want to do in the future! 

Here's what I'm doing to prepare for this race -

My huband & I have turned a room in our house into a personal gym.  We've bought a EFX Eliptical Trainer, a exercise bike, & we also have a tredmill & tv in there.  The tredmills not the best but will do. It's great if you can't make it to the gym.

I'm a former lifetime member of weight watchers & have gotten back into it, and have lost 11 pounds since Nov. 8th.  I have a membership at the YMCA to use the pool, and have taken my first swimming lesson. 

I currently take spinning classes at the Y, go to women on weights classes, & am taking swim lessons.  My husband bought me a sweet tri bike for me for my birthday.  I haven't gotten to use it yet, but I will as soon as I can. I will start working with a tri coach the first week of January & my husband will be doing some working out along side me. 

I plan on having the weight off by April, know how to swim & be able to run longer & faster.  When the weather breaks I'll be able to work on the biking part.  Until then I will go to my spin classes & ride my exercise bike at home. For christmas I got a body bug, & a nice heart rate monitor. 

My run is currently at 4.5 for 2.0 miles.  I'll really be working on this over the upcoming months.

I've never done a lot of these things, but I believe I can, so I will!!!! Tongue out

Big goals, but with the right attitude and a good plan, very do-able. 

Since you're just starting out, pay close attention to how your body responds to the demands you're making.  You'll need to learn the difference between bone/joint pain (take some rest) and muscle fatigue/pain. 

Geezzzz Mike did you have to mention pain???? Cry Josh agrees & said that I will learn about it as I go.  As you know I've been experiencing all kinds of new things so far.  We've spoken about my breathing while running & I've also had some knee pain while running.  I went and got fitted for new shoes.  I haven't been running much lately, but will get after it starting back up this week, and don't think I'll have the knee pain as much. 

2010-12-27 7:45 PM

Veteran

Hello McFuzzie's,

I'm going to be hitting it harder this week than I have this past month.  I will be increasing my workout's.

Here's my plan:

I'm going spinning four days this week, Run three days, weight class twice, and swimming as much as I can.  If I have any energy left I would like to add eliptical workout's in.

PRAY FOR ME PLEASE !!!!

I'll be posting workouts as I do them.  Any kind of advice, encouragement, etc. you can give me would be greatly appreciated! 

2010-12-27 8:05 PM
in reply to: #3263499

Veteran
n3dinc - 2010-12-27 7:40 PM Ok it is real now.  I just sent in my race application for the Pigman Sprint on 6/5/11.  I announced to all my friends to keep me honest and help along the way.

It's good that you've told all of your family & friends about what your going to do. They can encourge you, and keep you in check like we will. Laughing  I'm in the same position sort of.  They did an article in our local paper on my husband when he did his race, and in the article he announced that I would be doing the 1/2 IRON MAN with him in July!! THE WHOLE TOWN KNOWS, YIKES!!! And then there's the question ..... " What have I gotten myself into? "  I hope that I'll be an inspiration to someone along the way.  I believe you will be an inspiration to someone also.  Who knows who that might be, a child, a handicap person etc. That's what I'll be focusing on.  You might inspire someone just by running by their house everyday, and they watch you day after day being dedicated, and achieving more than they ever dreamed. It may help them to go after their dreams.  Stay strong. - Ree
2010-12-27 10:28 PM
in reply to: #3263499

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
n3dinc - 2010-12-27 6:40 PM Ok it is real now.  I just sent in my race application for the Pigman Sprint on 6/5/11.  I announced to all my friends to keep me honest and help along the way.

You can start now, and say it again in March, April, May, and (gulp) June...

You bring up a good point here.  Goals that are kept hidden away in the dark tend to wither and die...those exposed to the light of day for all to see...happen!  You've probably increased 10X the likelihood that you'll do the race by telling people about it. 
2010-12-27 10:50 PM
in reply to: #3263213

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

ecpasos - 2010-12-27 1:27 PM Triathlynne, what a great list of accomplishments. And I would love to visit Scotland some day. It's on the bucket list.

Oooh you should go!  I'm heading back end of February for 10 days. I opted out of going to Hawaii so that I could spend some time with family instead.

So did anyone get anything tri related for Christmas?   I bought myself a nice used indoor trainer for $50.  Pick it up tomorrow.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106