BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-08 6:45 AM
in reply to: #3286071

User image

Elite
SE
Subject: RE: Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED
The reaper never sleeps. I am after you Em haha! Nice shot of the no training wheels. Are there alternative explanations for the cramps other than the running fast?

As a psychologist, I find many folks who misinterpret bodily signals and it impacts their functioning like in panic disorder. Not saying you have that, but my point is I don't want you shying away from intensity due to cramps that may be due to a different source. You, however, know your body much better than I do.

I did note on your logs a massively high heart rate. My first thought was to check the accuracy of the hr-monitor. I mean, you are averaging my max on that last run I checked. You may want a general medical/cardiology consult (nuclear stress test?) to make sure everything is cool before banging out anything out of the ordinary. Perhaps pschriver can help here as I am not a real doctor?

2011-01-08 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3256691

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Max heart rates vary greatly among individuals.  While one person's may be 180, another's could be over 200.  Of course, fitness is a factor, too.  HRMs are notorious for giving inaccurate readings at times.  My Garmin sometimes says my HR is over 200 when I'm not doing something strenuous.  Def not correct.  I've heard the inaccuracies have to do with the HRM not making proper contact with the chest and that's definitely true in my case.

Side question: anyone know if Garmin makes an alternate chest strap for the HRM that comes with the 310xt?  Mine is a bit loose, maybe it's stretching, but I have to wedge it under my sports bra and have it as tight as possible or it slides down...and my HR reading get increasingly wild.

Edited by nerdjock 2011-01-08 1:02 PM
2011-01-08 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Hi guys,

No training for me today, I had a nightmare day yesterday working from 7am - 6pm then driving home from 6pm - 1.30am this morning. The drive was a nightmare with lots of snow and I just feel shattered. I know this sounds like an excuse but I really do feel drained today but up for lots of activity tomorrow. I want to se how well I can run in the snow, will be getting in a turbo and spin session and am going to try and get a swim in too.

So that should make up for the lack of activity today!

You all sound like you're active. What have you planned tomorrow?

Kate
2011-01-08 12:53 PM

User image

Master
I did a little over an hour on No Mercy Spinnerval #9. Wife cut me short to go ice skating with kids.

NerdJock is right on with the HR. Women tend to have higher HRs then men and it goes down as you age. Anyone over the age of 40, smoker, family Hx, elevated cholesterol or lipids, or symptoms of SOB and chest pain should get a treadmill stress test. If the chest strap doesn't work well in a female, wearing it upside down sometimes helps. I'm pretty sure Garmin makes a "Deluxe" version of their HR strap that is supposed to be more comfortable. I've heard mixed reviews.

Long run tomorrow if weather cooperates.
2011-01-08 1:17 PM

Las Vegas, NV USA
Phat- thanks for you comment earlier about pushing our limits. It’s good to hear that from an expert. 

Ok, more noobie jargon questions.... what is a Spinnerval (with all the numbers)? Is this a class? technique? Just curious.

Finally got a workout schedule figured out....granted it’s going to be only about a week and half out at a time....next week will actually be easier as the trimester comes to a close for school (classes start tapering off). SO- this is a really good time for me to really dig deep. Makes me happy.

For today- ran outside today, about 2 miles (incline and decline). Felt good, now just need to keep doing it to increase speed and endurance. Question though- now that I am going back into running, would it be a good idea to do intervals to build speed and endurance?

Have a great day everyone!! 
2011-01-08 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3286713

User image

Master
Spinnervals is a cycling video series. It really makes time fly by for me while I ride the trainer.

http://www.spinervals.com/

2011-01-08 3:19 PM

Extreme Veteran
here's a look back at my week.
the plan:
SWIM X 2
BIKE X 2
RUN X 2
yoga/pilates X 1

what i actually did:
SWIM: 0 (master's starts up again next week, so no more excuses here!)
BIKE: X 3 (1- 3hr spin class & 2- 45min  spin classes in the books)
RUN: X 2 (missed the hill training session & substituted a spin instead-- will get it done this week though!!)
yoga/pilates: barely. i did a 15 min session & that was it! i'm aiming for the full hour this week

long run planned for tomorrow. we just got a bit of a dumping of snow! not really looking forward to it.... 10 miles scheduled. will be a character builder, i guess!
(or at least i hope) Embarassed
2011-01-08 4:00 PM

Las Vegas, NV USA
Thank you, P! 
2011-01-08 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3286962

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Pschriver: thanks for the tip about turning the HRM upside down.  Worked much better today.

Ran 7.23 miles today.  It felt great, like I could run forever.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the weather allows me to ride outside tomorrow.  The planned ride is 45 miles and 4000 feet of climbing. 
2011-01-09 7:29 AM

User image

Elite
SE
Great to see some check ins! I would love to hear from some of you others too (just stop by and say hello even!). We have a great core group but I want some of you less active ones to join the fray! Don't be bashful. This is your mentor group.

Many of you have had solid weeks and most are hitting it up this weekend. Some of you are hopefully going long today (pschriver, nicruns, nerdjock). Hope the weather permits.

kate: its ok if life is beating you down to allow yourself some time to sort it out provided you get back to working out asap. Sounds like you understand that.

mgma8814: my thoughts on you doing intervals right now is that its premature. i'd just log some miles perhaps add some hill repeats or varying terrain in there to strengthen your legs before you go smashing some hard runs. I'm not sure I am an expert but I have been down that road before. Others feel free to chime in.

my running coach who fired me some time ago used to say that the foundation and long runs are like the plate that you put your dinner on. The more miles/time you log the bigger the plate its and the more it can hold of the fixings. Think of volume as the plate and intensity as the fixings. You want it all on there but you don't want the plate to crack or the fixings to fall off the side.

Great job slaying the workouts everyone! Now I gotta get my headlamp on. Going down the pain cave soon for a biggish (for this time of year) stationary brick on the trainer and treadmill. Not sure if I will hit the pool up this weekend after all.
2011-01-09 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Made it out for 9 1/2 mile run at 20 degrees (which is impressive for a southerner). Weather is supposedly going to get very bad this evening and stay that way for a couple of days. Should give me a chance to boost my trainer time and swimming but I really had hoped to put in some running time this winter.

This was my first longer run since my IM 6 weeks ago and I was surprised how much my thighs burned on the last 2 miles. I have a 5 k in 2 weeks and I am debating about repeating the 9 miles next week or dropping back to 8 miles or maybe upping the mileage  by 10% depending on how my legs recover. My wife has been letting our friends know she plans to kick my arse in the 5 k so I really need to make it a good show.

2011-01-09 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
So, the weather didn't really work for me today.  I had to abandon the ride I had planned because there was a severe fog warning with zero visibility and freezing fog leading to extremely slick roads.  As the ride is in an area with lots of winding roads and not-so-bike-friendly cars, I chose life.  Instead, I set off on the American River bike trail, but got 6 miles in and it was flooded.  Not my day. Rode 12.5 miles total.  Today will be my rest day and I'll try to get some hills in tomorrow.

Here's my plan for next week:
Monday: swim 2500 yards, bike hills
Tuesday: swim 2500 yards, brick: bike 45 min, run 15 min
Wednesday: run 1 hour
Thursday: swim 2500 yards
Friday: run 1hr 15 min, bike 1 hour
Saturday: bike 2.5 hr
Sunday: Run 1:15 
2011-01-09 4:43 PM

User image

Master
Ashley,
Good try on the bike ride. I really think a trainer is invaluable in that situation. I had a similar change in weather (sleet and snow) during an important bike ride as I was getting ready for my IM. I aborted the outdoor ride and threw my bike in the trainer and was able to finish 100 miles.

I rarely ride outside when it is cold but I saw 3 riders yesterday and 2 today. I would much rather run in the cold than ride. That being said, I would much rather ride outside than on the trainer.

Looks like a busy week coming up.
2011-01-09 5:02 PM
in reply to: #3288504

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
pschriver - 2011-01-09 2:43 PM Ashley,
Good try on the bike ride. I really think a trainer is invaluable in that situation. I had a similar change in weather (sleet and snow) during an important bike ride as I was getting ready for my IM. I aborted the outdoor ride and threw my bike in the trainer and was able to finish 100 miles.

I rarely ride outside when it is cold but I saw 3 riders yesterday and 2 today. I would much rather run in the cold than ride. That being said, I would much rather ride outside than on the trainer.

Looks like a busy week coming up.

That sounds like an epic training ride!

I have a trainer and ride it sometimes, but my friend was watching football with a group of people and there's no way I can ride the trainer while watching football or with a bunch of drunk guys I don't know!  I require bad TV or SVU.  I'm in the process of moving to San Diego, so my bf and all of our household stuff is at our place in SD and I'm staying with a couple of friends in Sac while I finish some stuff in the lab.  In my home, the trainer has permanent residence in the living room and I ride it all the time, especially this time of year when it's cold, rainy and dark all the time.  Living with my friends, though, I can't really do that because they have different hours than I do and, well, it's just different and a little difficult...I haven't had roommates in years.  Too old for that.  I'm skipping out of the lab early tomorrow so I can ride in the afternoon.

2011-01-09 6:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
envy...
i miss riding outside (good thing i enjoy spin class)

tomorrow my master's swim group starts up again!
so that's my plan
1hr in the pool

as for the rest of the week:
Monday: master's swim
Tuesday: run
Wednesday: run + master's swim
Thursday: spin class
Friday: (poss spin class)
Saturday: yoga
Sunday: long run

wow.... WHERE did that weekend go!!

& random question:
has anyone bought pedals for their bike off of ebay?
(i'm tempted....)
2011-01-09 8:49 PM

User image

Did a longer run today in the afternoon and felt fantastic! Tomorrow I will bike on trainer 45min and swim later in pm. Nicruns- I bought pedals off of ebay but they were Wellgo clippers for my spare singlespeed. Not super a-one pedals but they do the job. Nerd jock- you are gonna LOVE living in SD! Year round training, tons of triclubs, bazillions of local racing. Tris, cross, time trials, trail races, they've got everything!!!Have a great week everyone!

2011-01-09 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3288125

User image

Elite
SE
Really impressed with all of your work! Nice going especially give what you are up against in terms of weather, roomates, family obligations, school/work etc.

Work/schools closed in Ga tomorrow so I have the day home. Wish my legs lately weren't trashed from the recent workouts so I could have some time on the trainer and treadmill. Sadly, I expect the pool to be closed and my personal trainer just canceled ahead due to weather.

My coach once got mad at me for worrying about a 5k coimpetitor's challenge when I was in the beginning of a build to an IM in 09. Said not to get in a male appendage swinging contest over a little 5k and it stuck. Throw in the fact that you are competing with you wife, pschriver, I'd say to allevaite some of the pressure off yourself. Then I would start doing mile repeats and the like (800s, 1200s, ladders, and other speed work) until close to race day since its soon. I'd also cut some weight for a 5k and open a can of whoop arse (try a red bull sugarfree shot 10 mins before the start) on race day. Then prepare to celebrate alone haha.

As to pedals on ebay, I think you could get a solid pair inexpensively. Make sure you get the right cleats too. Also all3sports has 15% off right now if you use codes posted by mirinda carfrae on twitter, or onetri code from doing the BT survey.

2011-01-09 10:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
INTRIGUING....!
i've got my eye on a pair of ultegra pedals (with cleats included) that are on for about half of what my LBS is charging....
(nice to have all of these online options!!)

next... i'm seriously coveting a pool mate

anyone have a good strategy for keeping track of laps swam around the pool?? Embarassed i find i get so caught up in my breathing/rhythm (i breathe every 2 strokes then 3 & then back to 2 again) that i can't reliably count anything else.
(embarassing, but true)
2011-01-09 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3289044

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
nicruns - 2011-01-09 8:03 PM INTRIGUING....!

anyone have a good strategy for keeping track of laps swam around the pool?? Embarassed i find i get so caught up in my breathing/rhythm (i breathe every 2 strokes then 3 & then back to 2 again) that i can't reliably count anything else.
(embarassing, but true)

Oooh...me, too!  I just bought one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/SportCount-Inc-90040-LapCounter/dp/B0016J9NE8
It's a SportCount lap counter.  Fits on your finger and looks easy to use.  I'm using it for the first time tomorrow, so I will let you know. 
2011-01-09 10:58 PM

User image

Elite
SE
I use the lap counter (when I swim which isn't much lately) and a Nike waterproof cheap rubber watch for timing. I sold my swimovate after a few months (bought in England before they imported and then upgraded software to yards from meters exclusively) due to the sports count being more than adequate. I do want to try finis brand watch.
2011-01-10 4:58 AM

User image

Hey guys,

Abdominal pain/cramps have subsided. Still there occassionally, but do not worry me at all. But I do have lower back pain (it's my weak spot) so it's off to my massage dude this week. Makes me think maybe I could have strained a deep muscle/or muscles?? Guess I'll never know. But it's not bothering me now, so it's a case of: on with the show!

Right, I'd better check-in.

This week's plan is as follows:

Mon: Swim; Bike
Tue: Run; Weights
Wed: Swim; Bike
Thu: Run; Weights
Fri: Swim; Long Bike
Sat: Rest Day
Sun: Long Run

It's all very basic!!! But I sat down and worked out how I could fit everything around my BA work shifts!!
I've already missed one swim sesh ... it's the night-to-day shift again. I slept through two alarms this morning (and I have never done that before ... ever) so that tells me something about my fatigue level. But got my bike sesh done and dusted. On the trainer.
Glad to at least have one thing ticked off already (celebrating the small victories)!!

Have a good week everyone!
Em

2011-01-10 7:19 AM

My family has finally managed to give me the massive head cold that they have been sharing for a month - complete with sore throat and body aches.  Took yesterday off (supposed trainer ride) and am debating what to do today.  I had a swim planned, but the idea of trying to breathe with this head cold is daunting.  Maybe an easy-ish trainer ride? What do other people do when they don't feel 100%?
2011-01-10 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3289309

User image

Elite
SE
Great job organizing and hitting it Em!

slokat, don't make it worse. Allow yourself time to heal/fight it off, or do something light/easy as possible if you must. Don't think the swimming thing is suited to a head cold.
2011-01-10 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Snowed in. 45 min on the trainer. Spinnerval #8 Recovery and Technique. Tomorrow, ice is expected so I'm sure I will be back on the trainer. My Y closes on snow days so no swimming for a while. Agree on no swimming with head cold. Vit C and Zinc. I would do light spinning but rest is more important sometimes.
2011-01-10 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Just finished week 3 of 36 week IM trainig programme.

Bike = 230 minutes (Trainer)
Run = 26km
Swim = 6750m
Weight  = 191 (6lbs lighter than I was Dec 17)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38