BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QueenZipp & Dexter's good cop/ bad cop - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-01-29 4:14 PM
in reply to: #3261875

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Subject: RE: QueenZipp & Dexter's good cop/ bad cop - FULL
Thanks all for the kind words ... i re-read my post, and was hoping it didn't come across as a hero/victim story, cause it really isn't, we all have our tests in many different forms, mine came through cancer but everyone has their own journey to travel.

Enjoying a rest day today, hope all are well, another 40C+ (104F+) couple of days coming up, makes hearing some of you running in snow all the more amazing.

2011-01-29 4:18 PM
in reply to: #3328713

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Akuma - 2011-01-29 4:14 PM Thanks all for the kind words ... i re-read my post, and was hoping it didn't come across as a hero/victim story, cause it really isn't, we all have our tests in many different forms, mine came through cancer but everyone has their own journey to travel.

Enjoying a rest day today, hope all are well, another 40C+ (104F+) couple of days coming up, makes hearing some of you running in snow all the more amazing.

Not in the least, Adam.

Read Dud's RR from today.  He met up with a couple of cancer survivors who were sharing their story along the run.  It's great.

FWIW, my father died of lung cancer about 3 1/2 years ago.  When things get tough in a race, I dedicate it to him and keep going.
2011-01-29 10:19 PM
in reply to: #3328713

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Akuma - 2011-01-29 5:14 PM Thanks all for the kind words ... i re-read my post, and was hoping it didn't come across as a hero/victim story, cause it really isn't, we all have our tests in many different forms, mine came through cancer but everyone has their own journey to travel.

I got to run with  pair of cancer survivor today.  They met for the first time today, running ten feet behind me.  I have to say it teared me up listening to the two them get to no each other.  Then one kicked my butt running up a hill and the other kicked my butt to the finish line. 
It is great that your brain has switched.  You sound like you are loving life again.  Sweet. 
2011-01-30 4:52 AM
in reply to: #3329005

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Great job on the run Dudley, and such a nice story in your RR about the two woman. It is a shame that it takes events like sever illness etc. to wake us up out of our life slumber, it shouldn't, but it does. Stories like these are good reminders in those times we start falling back into the mind numb so many live in.

Well done again on the race  
2011-01-30 11:18 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-01-30 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3326102

Master
San Diego, CA
Akuma - 2011-01-27 9:19 PM Hi all, sorry for the upcoming ramblings, I hope Judi and Dudley don't mind me filling some space.

Today was a turning point, when the body flipped modes from "I need to be careful, I am sick" mode to "I can do whatever I believe in" mode. I assume you all have not had the honour of getting cancer, obviously the illness is terrible, but if you get an aggressive type like I did, the treatment is way worse. They have to match the cancers aggressiveness with some of the most toxic chemicals ever deliberately injected into a human body. Fight fire with fire so to speak, especially if you are in a younger age bracket. I won't go into the rights and wrongs of the approach, that is a slippery slope.

What it meant was I went from a triathlete in 2005 to someone who could literally not walk 20 meters without fainting from exhaustion, could not pick up my own 1 year old child as he was too heavy and the strain gave me headspins, insomnia, nausea, no hair, loss of friends (a side effect they don't mention in the pamphlets), drastic loss of body weight (I dropped 15kg (33lbs) in the first month), emotional distress etc. etc.

So why bore you all about this here? (sorry) Because while this was only my first week back into training, I have run, biked, swam and played football and I feel great!! And what's more, the brain has now flipped so that now all I can think of is when is my next training session, and maybe I can sneak another in this afternoon. The body is starting to crave the feeling of exercise, after only a week, I never expected that!

Since the treatment ended I have been told constantly to take it easy from here on in, don't extend myself, essentially saying, although not their intention, to live a quiet life until the cancer returns, which is statistically the most likely thing to happen, especially for those that make no changes to their lifestyle.

Well bugger them, it only took a week for my body to tell me I am doing the right thing, it is lapping the load up, to me it is already telling me an Ironman at the end of 2012 is certainly possible. They consider you "cured" after 5 years of remission (for me that's next year), but in reality that is just when they stop checking up on you . For me I'll be cured when I feel in control again, perhaps that is what this training is all about?

One thing cancer does is make you hyper-sensitive to how your body is feeling. It reminds you your body has a system that tells you what it likes and doesn't, the problem is we all ignore it most of the time. Work that extra hour at work despite feeling tired and you get the fuzzy head the next morning, eat that donut and despite your brain telling you it will taste great, you feel bloated and sluggish. If you spend a day or two listening to your body (not your brain), you will be surprised how many very clear signals it gives.

They are not all physical either, I stumbled over this yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EokseUskyDI

... and it brought such a full body emotional response, there was no doubt I needed to do it. I'm not an outwardly emotional guy, my wife thought something was wrong, it took a while to convince here it was the exact opposite. Why it is telling me this I don't know, perhaps to give the proverbial two fingers to all those that think cancer is a disability, or perhaps to prove to myself I really am healed, whatever the reason, it is not something I want to do anymore, it is something I need to do.

I hope everyone is well, please remember your body knows best, and listen to it carefully. We are not invincible, but we can remain undefeated

Thanks for sharing Adam. You are quite right, your body does know best and I can imagine that cancer made you hyper aware of yourself. I didn't start listening to mine until about 8 years ago and it's amazing the things it began to tell me. I know how incredibly lucky I am to have a body that works and allows me to get out of bed, go to school and work, spend time with friends and family and on top of that train and stay healthy. Not everyone falls into that category.

I had an opportunity a number of years ago to work with children in various stages of cancer and blood disorders. I kept in touch with some of the children and their families after I left and saw the eventual toll the illnesses took on them. What I appreciated was their outlook on life and how they celebrated each day. I've realized that I have a healthy body and should not waste that gift and celebrate what I have.

Adam, you give a lot of food for thought. Thank you and have a wonderful season, you and your body deserve it.

2011-01-30 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3329399

Veteran
Sydney
robcolling - 2011-01-31 4:18 AM
Hey, QueenZipp, I tried to reply to your "Inspire" today and the website said your training log was marked "Private."

Did you change the settings on your training log?

Thanks,

--Rob

Ditto here as well. 
2011-01-30 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3329400

Veteran
Sydney
jezzieswims - 2011-01-31 4:19 AM  

Thanks for sharing Adam. You are quite right, your body does know best and I can imagine that cancer made you hyper aware of yourself. I didn't start listening to mine until about 8 years ago and it's amazing the things it began to tell me. I know how incredibly lucky I am to have a body that works and allows me to get out of bed, go to school and work, spend time with friends and family and on top of that train and stay healthy. Not everyone falls into that category.

I had an opportunity a number of years ago to work with children in various stages of cancer and blood disorders. I kept in touch with some of the children and their families after I left and saw the eventual toll the illnesses took on them. What I appreciated was their outlook on life and how they celebrated each day. I've realized that I have a healthy body and should not waste that gift and celebrate what I have.

Adam, you give a lot of food for thought. Thank you and have a wonderful season, you and your body deserve it.

Thanks for the kind words Jessica, and I am glad it didn't (I hope) take a serious illness to have you listening to your body Out of curiosity, how to you come to work with those children? As an adult cancer patient, I was always utterly amazed at the children I saw on the ward on occasion, so resilient and positive, while most of us "mature" adults whinged like a good sort if a doctor was late or we couldn't check out on time.
2011-01-30 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3329399

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
robcolling - 2011-01-30 11:18 AM
Hey, QueenZipp, I tried to reply to your "Inspire" today and the website said your training log was marked "Private."

Did you change the settings on your training log?

Thanks,

--Rob

For the time being I am set as private.  Nothing anyone in this group has said or done.....the prospect of possibly damaging the "good" leg and having to take more time off the bike and run has me in a bad place mentally.  I'm still here, will still be checking in on everyone. 
My funk will pass.....just need some time to process.
2011-01-30 4:10 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Alright gang, reopened.....I like inspire communication too much.
2011-01-30 4:16 PM
in reply to: #3329633

Veteran
Sydney
QueenZipp - 2011-01-31 9:10 AM Alright gang, reopened.....I like inspire communication too much.

That was a fast passing funk .. glad it is open, inspires are called that for a reason  

2011-01-30 4:17 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
No, the funk is still there....but I like inspires more than wallowing in a funk.
2011-01-30 4:24 PM
in reply to: #3329642

Veteran
Sydney
LOL, fair enough. Well look at one positive, if you are off your feet for a while that will let you solve the first line of your signature
2011-01-30 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3329654

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Akuma - 2011-01-30 4:24 PM LOL, fair enough. Well look at one positive, if you are off your feet for a while that will let you solve the first line of your signature

Ah, but my tolerance for swimming is limited at best and a forced swim focus this past fall did NOTHING to improve my swim.  My TT prior to all this *fun* was identical to the TT I did a few weeks ago.  Soooo, I have limited affection for the water and much prefer the bike and run.  If my legs don't get the hint to cooperate soon I will need to be committed to prevent self harm.
2011-01-30 5:26 PM
in reply to: #3329574

Master
San Diego, CA
Akuma - 2011-01-30 12:55 PM
jezzieswims - 2011-01-31 4:19 AM  

Thanks for the kind words Jessica, and I am glad it didn't (I hope) take a serious illness to have you listening to your body Out of curiosity, how to you come to work with those children? As an adult cancer patient, I was always utterly amazed at the children I saw on the ward on occasion, so resilient and positive, while most of us "mature" adults whinged like a good sort if a doctor was late or we couldn't check out on time.

I fell into the job through a summer job as an undergrad. One of the larger hospitals that treated children provided summer camp opportunities for children from their oncology practice. The children came to camp with the doctors and nurses from hospital along with staff and volunteers from the community. I was amazed with the outlook on life these children had.

One 7 year old nearly brought me to tears my first year. I had a ganglion cyst on my wrist prior to the start of camp and was wearing a brace. I was frustrated by the brace because it limited my mobility in that arm and the pressure against the cyst hurt when I used it. One little girl saw my brace and asked about it. I explained that I had hurt my wrist and had a "bump". She asked to see my arm so I removed my brace. She looked at my wrist for a little while and then looked at me. She calmly stated that she had once had a big "bump," that the doctor helped her and she's getting better. She told me that I was going to be okay and the doctors would help me too then invited me to play kickball. I sat on the bench with tears welling up in my eyes because this stupid cyst on my arm that I was fretting over was nothing compared to what this child had been through. She was comforting me, talk about perspective. Kids are awesome.

2011-01-30 5:43 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Jessica, you are right about kids being awesome like that.
One of my first jobs out of nursing school was a peds unit, peds oncology to be exact.  Those kids were incredible. 
I have also spent many summers volunteering in a day camp, not sick kids, but the camp nurse for those multiple bumps/ bruises and some kids with need of routine meds.  THey always amazed me.  I could be feeling miserable about my personal issues at the time and these kids were like a piece of heaven with their friendship.

2011-01-30 9:57 PM

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Holy crap!  It's almost February! 

Carry on.
2011-01-31 6:03 AM
in reply to: #3329605

2011-01-31 6:23 AM
in reply to: #3330008

Veteran
Sydney
papson14 - 2011-01-31 2:57 PM Holy crap!  It's almost February! 

Carry on.

LOL you are in for a bigger test than us all it seems! .. 4 kidlets .. my goodness you have been busy! 
2011-01-31 9:25 AM

Veteran
Nassau, Bahamas
well that was a waste of a  weekend in terms of training!  hope to get to the masters swim program today!  sheesh, wasn't it just friday yesterday!?!
2011-01-31 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3330560

2011-01-31 9:56 AM

Veteran
Nassau, Bahamas
well in related news, I got a call last night about organizing a triathlon.  Seems we have a sponsor and now just need to put it all together.  preliminary plan is for May 21st (end of the world, and if it does end you do not get your money back!) in Nassau, Bahamas, for those that might want to come visit in the lovely spring!  

anyone ever dealt with timing systems?   
2011-01-31 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3330650

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
islandflyer - 2011-01-31 9:56 AM well in related news, I got a call last night about organizing a triathlon.  Seems we have a sponsor and now just need to put it all together.  preliminary plan is for May 21st (end of the world, and if it does end you do not get your money back!) in Nassau, Bahamas, for those that might want to come visit in the lovely spring!  

anyone ever dealt with timing systems?   

Awesome to be organizing a tri!  Hmmmm, an island destination tri has got to go on my agenda at some point!!
No experience with timing systems other than working the finish line and restacking the chips in the appropriate slot.
2011-01-31 12:21 PM

Master
PNW
Wow, you guys are active in here on the weekends!

Adam, you are definitely inspiring.  I'm pleased to get a little window into your journey from cancer survivor to Ironman!

I've had a very busy weekend (physically) and I'm super excited to be sitting here at work so that I can REST my weary body.  I do have plans for a swim tonight, but my lats are aching as I type, so I can't imagine that it's going to be a good one.  I feel good though.  Sore, but good.  I feel like I'm opening the door to a new tri season this month and it's super exciting!
2011-01-31 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3331033

Veteran
Nassau, Bahamas
I think I figured out why my bike steering was a little loose!

jamis satellite pro 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QueenZipp & Dexter's good cop/ bad cop - FULL Rss Feed  

of 23