BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-05-30 11:22 PM
in reply to: #3287331

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full
Steven

I try and go into each race with a realistic goal time. I typically base that time off the course profile and any race report data I can find and based on how I am training coming in. I'll figure out where I should be splitwize to hit that goal time and record my 20,40,and 50 miles goal splits so I can see how i am doing. But you do have to adjust your goal to take into account factors such as wind, heat and humidity. Hills you should be able to predict be humidity and wind you don't know until racetime. I always try and drive the course to get a mental picture of the course and the the hills. Pacing wize try and remember keep the pace reigned in enough to account for a 13.1 mile run still to come

For a long race like a HIM, you want to reel yourself back as much as possible until somewhere around 40 miles on the bike. Up until that point the pace should feel a bit too easy. For hills try and downshift to an easy gear at the bottom on a long hill and spin up it, for shorter hills consider staying in a higher gear and standing and driving over the top (keep momentum but save energy). For wind it is a similar approach, downshift to compersate for the wind and ride as aero as possible for long upwind stretches, for shorter sections get aro and hammer thru till you turn. Be carefull of side winds particularly when going downhill, the faster you are going the more a cross wind will push you.

So, I come in with a goal time but am ready to adjust it based on wind, heat, and humidity and how I am feeling. Just remember not to get too locked into a goal time.

Andy

2011-05-31 4:25 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Wow it was hot today. Saw 100 degrees. When it gets really hot out, make sure you are being smart about your workouts. Now that don't mean don't workout, but you need to take the heat into account.

1) Stay hydrated! Being hydrated before a run in the heat is key. I also will go ahead and carry a water bottle with me for my midday runs. Fuel belts or a Camelback are very convinent for carrying your hydration with you, but be aware with a camelback the water/EFS/Gatorade will get warm with the elements on one side and you on the other, particularly when you start to get towards the end.

2) Dial down the effort. When you are working hard your muscles generate a ton of heat, now toss in a hot, humid day and you are getting slow roasted. So as you are accimating your body to the heat/humidity, dial back the effort and or volume until your body adjusts. Your body will adapt sweat rates, etc to keep itself cool, but when the temps/humidity take a step jump, it is best to give your body some time to adjust. This is particularly true if you are traveling to race (ie Arizona in winter when it 85 there and 25 at home in Philly.)

3) Don't forget the sunscreen and a hat. Sunscreen is a must for me (Fair skinned redhead-at least before it started turning grey). i have two colors White and Red, no tanning. A hat keeps the sun off your head and gives you something to get wet/hold ice and cold your head which in turn keeps the rest of the body cooler.

4) Electrrolytes/salt. Don't forget to put back all the electrolytes you sweat out as well. Drinks such as EFS have 1100 mg of electrolyte per serving which is great in the heat. With EFS you don't need anything else. Gatorade and other sport drnks are typically in the 100-400 mg range and don't fully do the job. For those cases Salt or electrolyte tabs are a good thing to try (make sure your take with plenty of water, very hard to swallow a salt tablet with a dry mouth, trust me!)

5) Cooldown a nice lukewarm shower afterwards always hits the spot, getting colder as I go along.

6) Always listen to your body. If you start to feel disoriented, start getting severe cramps, or notice you stopped sweating, stop, try and cool yourself off, and get help if necessary cause heat stress and heat stroke are no joke.

Remember most longer races will have you running in the hottest part of the day so you need to get accimated as much as possible, so you should try and do a few hott weather workouts if you know you are going to see similar weather come raceday.

Andy
2011-05-31 10:37 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Every day someone in the world begins chasing their dreams.
Every day someone in ...the world realizes one of their lifetime dreams.
Every day someone in the world begins to stop regretting and start living.
Every day someone in the world lets go of the past and embraces the now.
Every day someone wakes up with a smile of joy on their face and the wonder at being alive.
Every day someone becomes the person they were meant to be…

Why? Because they made the decision to JUST DO IT.
2011-06-01 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3526739

Regular

Thanks Andy!

I for one could use a little uplifting; this weekend was the perfect storm of calories. Saturday was my grandson's 5th birthday, Sunday was my our 29th anniversary, and Monday of course Memorial Day; hot dogs and burgers and fixins, oh my! Cake and ice cream and chocolate oh my! Alcoholic beverages, oh my! I feel like some alkie who jumped off the wagon.

I'm getting myself back together; I gained 6 pounds over that period of time and the weight is receding. I need to let this be a lesson to myself, don't lose your focus! Yell

2011-06-01 6:11 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
First off don't beat yourself up over falling off the wagon over the Memorial Day weekend. One of the reasons we all work out is to better enjoy things. If you gained that much weight over a short period of time, the good news is most of that weight is working its weight through your system and will come out he other end soon enough. Plus once you get running again that will help that process along as well. Plus once you get back into your normal routine your body will start burning off that extra fuel you stuffed in. It may take a few days longer to burn off the weight than it did to put it on, but I'd think of it more as a temporary swing. Everyone deserves a break periodically!

A 5th B-Day and 29th Anniversaries are pretty big events. Congrats!

Andy

Edited by southwestmba 2011-06-01 6:13 PM
2011-06-01 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3527412

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA

Agree with Andy.

Don't sweat it.  It's one day, and mostly water weight.  Do you really think it was possible that you consumed 6 pounds of calories that day?  Not likely.  Yes it's a setback but you need to enjoy once in awhile, or you'll quit in the long run.

2011-06-02 8:18 AM

I agree with the others, Paetheon. Life is about balance. Sometimes we tip the scale in the wrong direction but to enjoy your celebrations with food and drink is okay sometimes. Finding the right balance is very hard for me too. I like to indulge and could use a little self control myself.

I have been following along and soaking up all the knowledge and encouragement offered around here but havent had a lot of time to post. Things are going well in my training lately. I ran the half marathon a few weeks ago and did okay(1:47)  My time wasnt what i really wanted (1:45)but i wasnt sure what to expect running it so soon after my last marathon. Im up to 18 miles on the bike and i can comfortably swim a mile in the pool now. I did a mile this morning before work and i am headed out for 18 miles on my bike as soon as i get off today...unfortunately on my mountain bike because i realized my tire was flat on my road bike this morning before i left. I didnt have time to check it out but my mountain bike felt so heavy loading it up. I hope my ride goes ok. This weekend, friends have invited us onto their boat and i am hoping to do my first swim in the lake at some point. Im more than a little worried about boat traffic. Any tips about that?

have a great thursday, all!

2011-06-02 11:49 AM

Issaquah, WA

Checking in. Traing has been going well. I had a nasty cold last week but still managed to have great swim and bike workouts this week. My running is getting better though it can still use some improvment. It takes me a mile or two to get into a good rythm and I tend to swing my arms to much.

I have my first tri of the season, a sprint, this Saturday. It's a local event that I'm using as a warm-up for my next event in July. Both are at Lake Sammamish State Park.

Lisa

2011-06-02 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3528738

Issaquah, WA

Lakenw,

Swimming near boat traffic is the same as running or riding near cars. Be seen and be safe. Wear a bright colored swim cap to make yourself more visable. Think neon green, pink, or red. If possible have someone go along side of you in a kyak or canoe.

Lisa

2011-06-02 1:36 PM

User image

Chandler, AZ

It's been fun reading about everyone's successes this season.  My training is going well. I've never been a runner and that is definitely my weakness.  However,  I've managed to find my pace that I can keep moving without spiking my HR and having to walk.  It's a SLOW pace (9:50) but I'm trying to add some intervals with it (30 seconds at 8:15 followed by minute and a half of my 9:50 pace).  Is there anything more I should be doing to increase my pace?  

My new road bike is awesome and I love the difference in the weight and the ease I can move with it...so much easier than my mountain bike.

The swim is my strongest and I feel good each time I'm in the water...Like I could always do more than my workout calls for for the day.  I'm trying to step up the pace on that because of that by doing intervals.  My last average pace was 1:31/100 meters.

So I'm feeling good as far as my progression, but still a long way to go when looking at everyone else's standards, but, hey, I'm truly a beginner triathlete.  

Thanks for the advice you've given thus far, Andy and everyone else.  It's been good to check and read the posts.   

2011-06-02 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3529306

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for reminding people about using a bright swim cap.  I'm swimming in the bay/ocean too this weekend.

2011-06-02 5:43 PM

anyone have any tips for racing in the rain?  besides the obvious safety stuff, like "don't ride on the paint or blast around corners on the bike."  the forecast looks grim for alcatraz this weekend.        i'm mainly crossing fingers and toes they don't cancel/shorten parts of the race.
2011-06-02 10:20 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Racing in the rain. The big thing to deal with is actually in transistion. You want to keep you shoes and/or sock as dry as possible obviously, but covering your helmet, glasses makes a difference too. One towel usually doesn't cut it on a wet day.

For Alcatraz, if it is raining the sand hill and steps can be pretty rough sleding. And getting out of that cold water, the rain can make it tough to warm up. I would recommend a light rain jacket, which you could pull off in T2 or at least arm warmers.

One thing alot of people mess up when it is raining it they convince themselves they don't need to stick with their nutrition plan. You still need to drink and fuel on the bike and on the run. Obviously, you need to be a bit more deliberate reaching for you bottles, or gels when the road is slick. Like you said stay off the paint which gets very slick especially if you have to turn. Dial it back on the downhills and turns, but pace wise the rain shouldn't change you plans tempo/cadence wise on the number of chances you take on the decents and turns.

Running in the rain actually feels good to me. Staying cool typically isn't a problem. Just be extra aware at the aid stations with all the wet cups on the ground are extra hazardous.

Have fun Alcatraz should be a blast!
2011-06-02 10:29 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Lisa

Good luck this weekend. Have fun and stay relaxed and just try and think about staying smooth and fluid. The run is always a bit choppy coming off the bike, but as you get into your rhythm and you run legs start to come in your form will snap in.

Andy
2011-06-02 10:49 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
As far as swimming with boats, remember no matter how bright your swim cap is, swimming you have a very low profile to the water, so if there is any significant chop or the boat are going fast, never assume anyone is going to see you, so try your best to stay clear of their lines and swim defensively as possible. Having someone in a kayak or canoe is the best way to make sure they steer clear.
2011-06-03 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3529821

Regular

Alcatraz and grim, sounds like that's been said before lol! Not that I'm one to dole out info but if you are on a TT bike or a road bike, perhaps lowering the pressure in your tires a bit might be helpful for traction. Not to much rubber on the road with those tires, you know...

2011-06-03 8:28 AM

Regular
Thanks all for the encouragement concerning my discouragement of the other day. I've lost weight ever since the calorie-fest and am going to be fine for Sunday's tri; it looks like I'll fit into my wetsuit after all. The weather is supposed to be great Sunday, rising into the high 70's, should be a good time for all.
2011-06-05 10:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Had a great 36 mile ride down the New Jersey shore on Long Beach Island.  Not too many tourists yet, so not too many cars to deal with.  After turning around at the 14 mile point, realized there was a pretty decent head on wind, so that made for some excellent training. 

Good luck to eveyone racing this weekend.  Can't wait to hear how it went and read your race reports.

2011-06-05 3:19 PM

Surprise! I just finished my first triathlon! I guess I'm an over achiever... completed this goal a month early (I'd intended to start "my career" with triathlons in July)! heh.

Seriously though - I really enjoyed this race. When I bump into those couple guys at the pool who recommended the Lake Mills event as my very first triathlon (instead of Pewaukee which I'm learning has a bit of a reputation as a more rough and tumble event), I'll definitely thank them for their good advice!

Here's my race log: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=255086

My highlights are:

1. I completed my very first triathlon!  Cool Whoo hoo!

2. Done in less than 1 1/2 hours - the goal I'd set for the Pewaukee sprint. Wink

3. Had a great time!  Laughing

4. Unexpectedly yet pleasantly was in 2nd place within my "mens novice" group at the end of T2!  Smile

Edited by blhotka 2011-06-05 5:28 PM
2011-06-05 6:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
great job on your first tri!  You did great.
2011-06-06 2:35 PM

zero rain and perfect conditions for alcatraz yesterday!  yaaaay!

i'll post a longer race report later, but briefly: it was a GREAT event.  i treated it as such, as opposed to a "race," so i took my time and didn't push hard, in order to take everything in.  the swim was awesome, the bike and run are tough but absolutely gorgeous.  plus, i got my picture taken with michellie jones, and chatted with andy potts for a good 15 minutes on the boat before the swim start.  they are the nicest people.  now i get a few days at home with my parents to relax and recover!  (except i just want to do it again today!  lol)

2011-06-06 4:50 PM

Regular

I completed my first Tri in Lansing MI, the Hawk Island Triathlon. It's a mini-sprint and it is one of the largest in Michigan; there were 695 athletes there and that is not counting friends and family. It was a great atmosphere, the weather was great, the event was conducted well, a first triathlon could not of been held better.

This is my report

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=255163

Some highlights:

I placed 11th in my age group in the swim, I was happy about that, especially with the way the first half of it went; it was the classic 'swimpede'; surrounded by swimmers bouncing off one another; I wasn't able to get into a rhythm until past the first bouy, almost 1/2 done with the leg.

I thought I did well in the bike, but only placed 18th out of 30; I suppose it was correct but I was not passed that much while I passed plenty. I even passed a mini van, hehe! I thought my gear changes went well, I was able to get some nutrition and drink on bike, but I need a little practice with my technique. I have fallen completely head over heals in love with my bike, a Trek Madonne 4.7, I would totally suck without it!

The run is my weakest link. I could not will myself to go fast, not until the very end with the finish line in sight. This is what I truly need to focus on for my next tri in July.

I didn't focus on my transitions at all and certainly could/will improve them in the future. I was content with being involved and enjoying my first tri.

Today and Monday I am pleasantly surprised at how I feel, I'm hardly sore at all! Mentally and physically I truly can't recall feeling so good! I get back to my training today and I can't wait for work to get out!

Some of you might of seen this on the main board but I was bit by some bug that left a bullseye mark that had/has me concerned; am I going to get Lyme disease!? The doc at the clinic I was at felt it wasn't that, that the mark would last longer than a day (it faded by the end of the day, although the bite is still there) and in general they get bigger. It was only the size of a dime, while apparently most are the size of a quarter, at least. So great, at my next event I'll be all paranoid about the wildlife; what's next, leeches?Wink

The Hawk Island Tri was a blast; it's mini tri but it's a fun time; if you are close to Lansing when it rolls around again next year, it would be one to consider doing!

Edited by Phaethon 2011-06-07 7:36 AM
2011-06-07 1:47 PM

Issaquah, WA

My tri last Saturday didn't go as well as I had hoped for. It wasn't an enjoyable experience but I'm still glad I did it. I learned a lot about coping when things don't go well. Had I been doing a training swim, run, or ride that went the same way I would have cut it short. I never considered not finishing.

Brief rundown. The weather was beautiful, I felt great and fully recovered from my cold. Started feeling nauseas part way into the swim. Slowing down and doing the backstroke helped. Stomach was jittery for the first 4 to 5 miles of the bike course. I had a hard time pedaling. Thought my tires were low on air. That wasn't the problem. Felt the best on the run. Knew I was going slower than planned. Picked up the pace tha last mile or so of the run.

Was tired after the tri. I was still tired and had a sore throat on Sunday. Went to the doctor on Monday even though I was feeling better. I don't have anything. the doctor said that I had exerted myself to soon after being sick.

What I learned. It's ok if every race doesn't turn out as planned. Learn from the mistakes and move on. Keep going, the chances are that I'll be able to finish. I will get strange looks when I tell my negative thoughts to "just shut up"out loud. I can and should push harder on the run.

Open water swim question. I've done open water swims with and without a wetsuit. The only times I've had stomach issues is when I wear the wetsuit. Could my position in the water while wearing the wetsuit be causing the problem?

Also, how do I get a link to my race report to show up in my post?

Lisa

2011-06-07 4:12 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Hey everyone. Been away for the Weekend at Rev 3 Quazzy in Middlebury, CT. Did the Revolution Challenge and busted out an Olympic on Saturday and a HIM on Sunday. 2.1 miles of swimming, 80.84 miles of very hilly cycling, and 19.3 miles of hilly running for one heck of a weekend and 102.24 miles of racing. Had a blast, didn't try and set any land speed records and came out with two respectable finishes and most importantly with the help of my First Endurance UltraGen and Recovery Pump, my legs are feeling pretty darn good.

This weekend was part one of my insanity, I'm following up with the Eagleman 70.3 (Flat and fast, but potentially hot and windy) this Sunday. 172.5 miles of racing in 8 days. After this weekend I will be so ready for Ironman Canada this August.

I'll try and get my race reports up soon.

Andy

Great job everyone this weekend. Can't wait to read your race reports!

Edited by southwestmba 2011-06-07 4:15 PM
2011-06-07 4:27 PM
in reply to: #3537368

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Here is Lisa's race report:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

You just have to copy the URL in the top window and paste it into the post and then it will activate the link.

Great Job hanging in there Lisa!

Andy

Edited by southwestmba 2011-06-07 4:27 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  

of 14