Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-05-11 10:35 PM
in reply to: #3434844

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: jmk-brooklyn's group-- FULL
Ow. I just ran 12.2 miles. It's my last long run before the half-marathon next weekend. I wasn't sure I'd be able to get it in this weekend, so I figured I'd do it tonight. It's a spectacular night here-- clear and in the low 60's with light breezes by the water. I think I'll feel this one in the morning.

2011-05-12 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3489083

Hi Jonah,

Thanks a lot! I got it. I have been doing it the way you have told, as per the schedule taken by me. But did not know the logic behind the name. I thought there might be some drill behind the name, other than counting the strokes and timing. Your explanation was very clear. I was also confused with counting strokes. Now things are clearer. Thanks a lot again.

I have loads of questions and many things to share. My event is on 31st July in Singapore ( OSIM International Triathlon). I and a friend of mine are doing this for the firist time. It's an Olympic. We believe that we are the first from our country attempting an international triathlon. So facilities and the expertise available here are minimal.

Hence need the help of you guys a lot.

Will read all other threads first and shoot more questions..

Regards

Sujith

2011-05-13 8:33 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Glad that helped.

I’m curious, Sujith, how you decided to do a triathlon in the first place, especially considering that there’s not a large triathlon community in your country?

It’s really admirable to be taking on a challenge like this, given the lack of facilities and expertise. I don’t tend to think of NYC as a triathlon hub in the US, compared to places like Texas, Arizona, Colorado and Southern California, but, when I take a minute to think about it, we have several dedicated tri stores, countless bike shops, four or five triathlon clubs, etc, so maybe we’re not doing too badly…

I was going to ride the trainer last night, but honestly, I was just exhausted and everything hurt. Between the residual injuries from the crash (which are healing nicely, but still sore) and some overall soreness in my legs and back from Wedensday night’s long run, I was feeling really worn out. Not to mention the fact that I’ve been up watching the Giro d’Italia on TV almost every night until past my bedtime. I needed a rest, so I took the night off. I’m going to get back to the gym tonight and I’m going riding at the crack of dawn (or, as my friend Mila calls it, “the crack of stupid”) on Saturday morning.

Hope everyone’s had a good week. I’m so happy it’s Friday!
2011-05-13 11:48 AM

Subject: input on doing an earlier tri..
I am scheduled for July 24th.  BUT, right in my Maine neighborhood in June 11th, there is a tri.  Could you guys look at my training log/calendar and see if it's feasible that I do the June 11th.  I pool swim 1/2 mile in under 25 mins, bike 15 in an hour, BUT, my running is weak...I may have to walk some of it.  I have been training since Jan. and am just itching to go but don't want to go too soon an ruin it for myself.  Your thoughs...Judy
2011-05-13 1:13 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Judy, I looked at your logs & think you could do it. And, having it close to home would be a big plus. I'd just make sure your expectations are realistic. I'm a slow runner & just did my 2nd tri this past weekend with a PR in the 5k of 36:45! Slow for many people, but a PR for me! My bike ride was almost an hour & the 15 meter OWS was 17:01. I did end up walking a lot of the run. Both tris were harder than I thought, but I did them!

Also, if you aren't already, I'd practice some brick workouts this month.

Best wishes!
2011-05-13 1:21 PM
in reply to: #3497520

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: input on doing an earlier tri..

Judy, what part of Maine are you from? I grew up in Lewiston/Auburn, and I'm going back to Maine in September for the Pumpkinman HIM and then some relaxing.

Your logs look pretty good to me. It looks like you've been really disciplined about getting your workouts in. Are you looking at doing the Pirate Tri? I would do that one just because of the awesome name.

2011-05-13 6:19 PM
in reply to: #3497042

User image

Veteran
Maryland

jmk-brooklyn - 2011-05-13 9:33 AM  I’m going riding at the crack of dawn (or, as my friend Mila calls it, “the crack of stupid&rdquo on Saturday morning. 

I'll be out there at the same time feeling your pain. Most mornings I'm out running before dawn, but the bike trail I use is only open (and safe) from sunrise to sunset. Saturday morning is the only time I can really get a long ride in without compromising too much family time. The trade-off is that I have to get up super early to get ready, get the bike loaded, and then drive off to the trail to be ready to ride when the sun is up. Tri training can feel pretty selfish at times, so getting up at 4:30 even on a Saturday makes me feel a bit less guilty.

2011-05-15 2:09 AM

User image

Regular
Everywhere

Welcome Emily,Its nice to have you on board as someone to give the boss some stick

@ Judy I know how you feel about the run, but the best thing is you can walk if your legs don't show up for the run

Right I have questions to ask about punctures as Ive been plagued by them over the last couple off weeks, so any advice on tires,tapes and tips would be a bonus

2011-05-15 6:28 AM

User image

Collierville

Hey everyone,

It is race week for me (first sprint tri on 5/21). I am getting pretty nervous and starting to think of all these small things (that add up) that I have not purchased and am wondering if I should before the race or should just do this race "as is" and then adjust my gear for my second race which is 7/31.

I am nervous about flatting on the course. I have not had a flat tire on any of my training rides, but the thought of training this hard and spending all this dough on my gear and registration just to have to drop out/run in my bike has literally got me not being able to sleep.

So what do you think? My race has a 12 mile bike leg. I think what I am going to do is not worry about getting anything for this race, and in between now and my next race (which has a 23 mile ride) buy a very lean emergency kit including two tubes, two tire levers, two CO2 cartridges and one inflator.  

I also don't have a water bottle or cage on my bike yet, but am planning on putting one on for the race so that I can at least hydrate a little on the ride and maybe even take in a little nutrition. Any suggestions? I was just going to buy a basic cage, and modify it so that the bottle does not slip.

I am looking forward to my race and am frantically checking the weather report (which as of right now is calling for isolated t-storms at 60%) So that opens up another bag of worms... how to plan on doing a race in the rain? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

2011-05-15 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3499621

User image

Veteran
Maryland
I wouldn't sweat the flat tire issue; just check to make sure you have the right pressure in your tires before you go. As far as the hydration issue goes do you have a Camelbak? I got issued quite a few in my day, and clothing sales on base should have them for sale if you don't. They're not the greatest thing if you're trying to get the whole aero thing perfect, but for a 12 mile ride it might be a viable alternative to buying and installing the bottles/cages. Your times for your run and bike from your log look pretty impressive, so in my opinion I think you'll do great on your race. Good luck.
2011-05-15 2:32 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Hi, FlyingItalian. First of all, congrats on making it to race week! I have done my 1st & 2nd sprint tri in the past 6 weeks. I had my share of fears of flat tires, too! I do have a kit, but wouldn't know how to use it! And, I worried about the weather for both races... and several running races! One had a 60% chance of t-storms that I fretted about. It decreased throughout thte week & didn't rain! The other was an unusually chilly week (for Houston) & I was worried about water temps... they ended up being warmer than the OWS clinic the weekend before! So, I'm trying NOT to worry about weather ahead of time. Just trying!

Of course, I don't know what the weather will be like for your race & you need to be prepared for rain or whatever. But, try not to worry too much ahead of time!!! So far, none of my worries have panned out so I just spent a lot of time worrying! (which isn't like me usually!)

Have a great 1st!

2011-05-15 7:55 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Flying Italian- Good luck on your race! You should be totally fine carrying that emergency kit. You shouldn't need more than that. Before my race, I practiced changing a tire a few times, just so I would be totally comfortable & quick doing it if I should flat on race day.  

Edited by jpbis26 2011-05-15 7:56 PM
2011-05-15 8:46 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I went several years without getting a puncture, but last year made up for it. I got a puncture in my MTB tire the first time I rode my bike outside in 2010. I got a flat on a century and had to borrow a co2 cartridge to get to the next rest stop. Then, I found a hole in the sidewall of my racing tire as I was loading my bike on the car on my way to my first race, so I sat in transition switching out my tire. Then on another ride on my MTB later in the summer, I got two punctures on the same wheel.

For racing, I think the kit you suggested is plenty. If that isn't enough, the universe is trying to tell you something. There's this cool stuff called "Pitstop" by a company called Vittoria which is a pressurized foam sealant in a can that can fix and reinflate a tire well enough to finish a bike leg on. I have a bottle that I bring on short races, although I've never used it. Supposedly, it's pretty idiot-proof. Open the valve, attach the can's head to the valve, depress the can (kind of like you're dispensing spray cheese), and allow the foam and propellant to fill the tire. Give tire a spin for a minute or so, and you're done. Or so it says on the label...

Here's a link: http://www.trisports.com/vipitst.html

For training rides, I usually carry two tubes, two or three co/2 cartridges, and a patch kit. My CO2 inflator also has a manual pump feature. I know that probably sounds like a lot, but part of the reason is that I use 650c wheels on my tri bike, which are uncommon (most wheels are 700c), so borrowing a tube from a helpful passerby isn't a likely option.

The best thing you can do to avoid punctures is to keep your tires inflated to at least the minimum psi listed on your tire. Mine are usually at 105 to 110, depending on the road (if it's even a little wet, I'll run a little lower, since it gives better traction). Check and inflate your tires every time you ride, ideally shortly before you go. Tires that are fully inflated can lose pressure even overnight.

Which brings me to riding in the rain. Racing in the rain isn't so bad, because at least the roads are closed and you don't have to worry about cars. The main things to keep in mind is that things like white lines on the road, and especially manhole covers and metal bridges or road joints become super-slippery in the rain.

Watch what happens at about :21 of this video as the rider in turquoise starts to turn and crosses a white line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCvuYe4VWRI&feature=youtube_gdata_pl...

This guy is a professional, going about 25mph. If it had been you or me, we'd have eaten a big helping of wet asphalt...

Other things to keep in mind about riding in the rain:
Never ride through puddles. You can't see the bottom of them when they're full of water and you have no idea how deep they are. What looks like a small puddle could be a tire-shredding, rim-bending pothole.

People in cars get extra-stupid when it's raining. Especially in places where it doesn't rain a lot.

Except for the aforementioned white lines, metal, and stuff like gravel/sand, a really, really wet road, as in a downpour, offers better traction than a road that's just a little wet. A little moisture floats the oil embedded in the road to the surface, and can make it slick. A downpour washes the oil away. Between your tires and the texture of the road, traction becomes less of a problem when it's really raining hard.

When you get home after a wet ride, wipe down your bike, dry your drivetrain off as best you can, and oil your chain.
2011-05-15 8:55 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
My ride yesterday was pretty good. My buddy's still pretty slow, so I had to leave him behind and do a lap or two of the park at my own pace. (He was fine with it, of course.) I would like to get in at least one longer ride before the race which is in less than a month. Now that I'm basically done training for the half-marathon, I can focus on tri's 100%.

I was wondering what I was going to do for exercise today. I took my son to his soccer/football game, and since it had been raining hard earlier, the other team didn't show up. Rather than just send the kids home, me and five other dads joined in, we split everyone up into two teams and played for an hour. I don't think I've played a soccer/football game since college. I'm not very good, but I managed to hold my own. (Of course, most of the players on the pitch were between 6 and 8, so that's not saying much, I realize.) It was funny watching all the dads being competitive, but not too competitive, lest they look like an idiot, going all out in a pickup game with a bunch of kids.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2011-05-15 8:55 PM
2011-05-15 9:18 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Jonah, the game sounds like fun!

I ran 3.5 miles in 90 degree heat Friday, swam in a parent swim relay at my daughter's swim meet Saturday (just 25 yards...but I was nervous!), and ran 8.5 miles today. My Half Marathon is off & I've been looking for a replacement, but haven't found anything. I'm thinking about running a Half on my own the weekend I was supposed to do my Half. It won't be the same, but I'd still be proud of it and want to set a new PR. I hate to have gone through all of that training and not get to race!!!

On the tri front, I still do not feel like signing up for another tri. I haven't swam laps since then, either. I just have no desire right now... and I'm wondering if it'll come back or not. There is a sprint July 10th that I'm trying to get excited about, but right now I just don't feel it.
2011-05-15 9:48 PM

User image

Collierville

Thanks for all of the good advice everyone

I think I am going to go without the "flat kit" for the first race, and get a cage/bottle b/c I figure I can use that on future training rides. 

The weather here in Memphis is cooling down with highs in the mid 60s and lows in the high 40s, which could make for an interesting no wetsuit swim for me. Luckily the day before the race and the race are high 85/ low 65 days. 

So I am trying to figure out how to taper this week. I am thinking of doing a short bike/run brick tom. and then a solid swim session on Tue, and then Wed just taking it easy and practicing transition stuff. That will leave Thu/Fri as a nice two day recovery.

I hope everyone has a great rest of the week, and I really enjoy having a place to vent my concerns. Talk to you all soon.

Phil 

2011-05-16 9:34 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Sounds like a good taper plan, Phil. Take it easy on the brick, especially if you don't do bricks often.

Dana-- do you get NBC Universal Sports where you are? They televise ironman races occasionally, and I like to TiVo them and watch them when I'm feeling unmotivated. Never fails to get me excited about the sport again. You might also try volunteering for a race.
2011-05-17 11:23 AM
in reply to: #3502973

User image

Veteran
Maryland

jmk-brooklyn - 2011-05-16 10:34 PM  Dana-- do you get NBC Universal Sports where you are? They televise ironman races occasionally, and I like to TiVo them and watch them when I'm feeling unmotivated. Never fails to get me excited about the sport again. You might also try volunteering for a race.

I'll second this one for getting inspired. I normally skip all of the stuff about the pros and watch the last few minutes that show the people who come in with less than an hour before cutoff. There is something so powerful about watching people who have trained for so long and suffered for over 15 hours crossing the finish line. You get to see someone who has set a goal and been totally determined to see it through. You see the pain and exhaustion on them, but you also see that elation and joy they get from seeing a dream realized. I love watching that when I need a boost.

2011-05-19 7:27 AM

User image

Collierville

Water temp will probably be wetsuit legal on race day, and I was blessed to be able to find a friend with a wetsuit that actually fit me! 

I tried it out on Tuesday, just putting it on/ taking it off and sweet talked the lifeguards into allowing me to swim around a little in the still closed outdoor pool at the Y I frequent. It is crazy how much easier it is to swim in it. 

Any suggestions for getting the suit off faster in transition? I was planning on body gliding my neck/ wrists/ ankles. I am also trying to be super careful with it b/c it is borrowed so any suggestions on what not-to-do would be helpful too. thanks,

Phil

2011-05-19 8:35 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
If you soak it in the bathtub for about an hour the day before the race and then let it drip-dry, it'll be much more pliable and easier to get on and off.

Body-glide is a good idea. Some people also spray their lower legs with PAM or some other non-stick cooking spray. I've never tried it but some people swear by it. Just don't use vaseline or any other petroleum-based product-- it can corrode the rubber. Be careful with the bodyglide on your arms, especially if you're going to be riding a bike with aerobars. You don't want your forearms to be slippery when you're trying to ride in aero.

I would also suggest putting some bodyglide on the outside of the suit. Remember that when you pull the arms & legs off, the suit flips inside-out, so a little bodyglide around the cuffs on the legs and arms is helpful.

When putting the suit on, try to remember to pull with your fingertips only. This will lower the risk of tearing the suit. You'll be tempted to grab a handfull of suit and really yank on it to get it up those last couple of centimeters, but don't do it.
2011-05-19 8:36 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I'm still in this weird place where I should be training for my Oly, but also tapering for my half-marathon on Saturday. Tonight, I'm going to do a trainer ride in place of what would be a 3-mile tempo run. Tomorrow, I'll do a short swim.

2011-05-19 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3507730

User image

Veteran
Maryland
So as I make progress in getting ready for my triathlons later this season I am confused about whether or not I should be looking at getting aerobars for my road bike. The more I ride the more I become comfortable with the bike, and the faster I am getting. On longer rides my skill and confidence are no longer the limiters, it's my bike fitness, which I consider a good thing as I was pretty scared on the bike for awhile. I'm wondering now if I should be looking to get aerobars so I can train with them to use on my HIM. I am a big guy, 6'5" 235lbs (race weight goal of 225), so I'm not very aero to begin with. Are aerobars something that will really benefit me on my 56mile ride, or should I be focusing my money and attention elsewhere?
2011-05-19 1:12 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
It depends on the course a little. On a flat course, you’ll get greater benefit from aerobars than on one with a lot of climbing.

You might consider getting the short aerobars like you see in the ITU draft-legal races. They’ll give you some aerodynamic benefit without vastly changing the fit and handling of your road bike. I don’t own a road bike anymore, but if I did, and I was going to put aerobars on it, that’s what I’d do.
2011-05-20 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3507722

User image

Collierville

jmk-brooklyn - 2011-05-19 8:35 AM If you soak it in the bathtub for about an hour the day before the race and then let it drip-dry, it'll be much more pliable and easier to get on and off. Body-glide is a good idea. Some people also spray their lower legs with PAM or some other non-stick cooking spray. I've never tried it but some people swear by it. Just don't use vaseline or any other petroleum-based product-- it can corrode the rubber. Be careful with the bodyglide on your arms, especially if you're going to be riding a bike with aerobars. You don't want your forearms to be slippery when you're trying to ride in aero. I would also suggest putting some bodyglide on the outside of the suit. Remember that when you pull the arms & legs off, the suit flips inside-out, so a little bodyglide around the cuffs on the legs and arms is helpful. When putting the suit on, try to remember to pull with your fingertips only. This will lower the risk of tearing the suit. You'll be tempted to grab a handfull of suit and really yank on it to get it up those last couple of centimeters, but don't do it.

Thanks man. I think I am going to stay away from Pam . That reminds me of when I pole vaulted way back in HS and one of the coaches suggested putting spray on wood adhesive on our pole tape to get a better grip haha. The craziest things work sometimes

2011-05-21 12:09 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Posted some photos in the before & after thread in COJ if anyone is interested, I'm at the bottom of the page. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=252978&posts=30&start=1

Looking to a 5 mile run tomorrow & do a long bike (hoping for 60+miles) Sunday. The end of the school year is always hectic, so I've been slacking a bit with training during the weekdays. Called my friend, Jen, & planned an OWS for Monday after work. Hopefully that will jump start my week.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jmk-brooklyn's group-- FULL Rss Feed  

of 16