BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2011-04-24 12:10 AM
in reply to: #3462755

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL
haley913 - 2011-04-23 6:32 PM
kussmaul - 2011-04-23 6:15 PM
mackjenn - 2011-04-23 1:29 PM

Hoot Hoot - back pat for me.   PR on the spank blasing 10k today - 53'34".  Broke my old 10k record by nearly 2.5 minutes and finished 4th in age group.  Best part - Jan (who last year told me she can't run) took 2nd in her age group on the 5k portion - also set a personal best for herself.

Great weekend so far!!!

Congrats!!!!  That is great!Laughing

NICE!  congrats to you both...

I got back in the pool and tried a 3K swim which i finished (only stopping once for less than a minute to fix my goggles).  I wasn't all that tired when i finished...but later i was worked!  It really snuck up on me, i went to watch a movie and fell asleep and didn't get my bike ride in today, i was too tired and my body (especially my arms) just felt tired and sore, but in that really good way.  i sure do like swimming, i just wish i could listen to my iPod while i swam.  Does anyone have any experience with water proof cases for a nano or an iPhone?  Yanti, thanks for pushing me to swim longer and further!  It took me 1 hour 6 min for 3000m.

Awesome swim Haley!  Really, awesome. I do know some people who swear by their swimP3 players. I've not tried one though. Feeling a bit like a fish in a tank?

2011-04-24 5:27 PM
in reply to: #3462755

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
haley913 - 2011-04-23 7:32 PM
kussmaul - 2011-04-23 6:15 PM

Hoot Hoot - back pat for me.   PR on the spank blasing 10k today - 53'34".  Broke my old 10k record by nearly 2.5 minutes and finished 4th in age group.  Best part - Jan (who last year told me she can't run) took 2nd in her age group on the 5k portion - also set a personal best for herself.

Great weekend so far!!!

Congrats!!!!  That is great!Laughing

NICE!  congrats to you both...

I got back in the pool and tried a 3K swim which i finished (only stopping once for less than a minute to fix my goggles).  I wasn't all that tired when i finished...but later i was worked!  It really snuck up on me, i went to watch a movie and fell asleep and didn't get my bike ride in today, i was too tired and my body (especially my arms) just felt tired and sore, but in that really good way.  i sure do like swimming, i just wish i could listen to my iPod while i swam.  Does anyone have any experience with water proof cases for a nano or an iPhone?  Yanti, thanks for pushing me to swim longer and further!  It took me 1 hour 6 min for 3000m.

I use diver brand waterproof MP3 player - not all the functions of an Ipod, but no worries about leakage - and they were around $50 for the player and waterproof ear buds.  Both the player and earbuds fit under my swim cap, so they stay in place and don't become a bother while swimming. 

2011-04-24 5:33 PM
in reply to: #3434942

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

OK - quick question for you open water swimmers.  I've done most of my swimming in a pool, so I've been doing longer pulls with glides and slower kick beat.  I saw something today that said in open water ocean swims, plan on decresing the glide, strengthen the last bit of your stroke, and increase the stroke count due to the waves.  What do you do?  Recommendations? 

Going to do some open water swimming in Denver in May, but both are lake swims, not ocean swims.  Thoughts?  Recommendations?  Not too concerned - figure I'll find a good pace during the 1.5 miles, but nice to know going into it what to expect and perhaps practice it.

2011-04-25 9:18 AM

Charlotte, North Carolina

Yanti- I hate that you have pneumonia.. How miserable! Hope you feel better very soon..

wow! congrats on the PR's and the 3000m swim! You guys make me feel so lazy on my Easter weekend I am still full from my family's traditional Easter brunch yesterday..

I did do something productive this weekend though! tried my first OWS.. It was in a lake and the conditions were pretty bad (for a first swim). There was 15-20mph winds where I was so the waves were larger than I was expecting.. I had my boyfriend follow me in a kayak and I just swam to the other side of the lake (in a cove) and back, which was about 500yds. I had to stop a few times, but I was suprised about how comfortable I was in the water.  It'll be nice to try it again once I finish all of my swim classes that I am taking..

I also went on a bike ride Friday, and I have a few questions for some of you more experienced cyclists.. I apologize ahead of time if they seem very naive:

1) When you are going down a steep grade downhill.. do you continue to pedal?

2) When you are climbing a hill, should you be increasing or decreasing your cadence? (this ones probably REALLY stupid, sorry!)

and 3) How important are clipless pedals? I thought for my first couple tris I'd be okay without them.. but I am starting to realize that EVERYBODY has them..

2011-04-25 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3463464

User image

Melon Presser
mackjenn - 2011-04-25 7:33 AM

OK - quick question for you open water swimmers.  I've done most of my swimming in a pool, so I've been doing longer pulls with glides and slower kick beat.  I saw something today that said in open water ocean swims, plan on decresing the glide, strengthen the last bit of your stroke, and increase the stroke count due to the waves.  What do you do?  Recommendations? 

Going to do some open water swimming in Denver in May, but both are lake swims, not ocean swims.  Thoughts?  Recommendations?  Not too concerned - figure I'll find a good pace during the 1.5 miles, but nice to know going into it what to expect and perhaps practice it.

Yes. IF there are waves or chop, increase the stroke count (this will probably naturally cause you not to eke out that last bit of glide). The reason being that you're going to need a little extra control (your paddling arms have to act a bit like rudders) and you can't continue enough momentum at the very end of the glide for it to be worth the correction you will have to make to stay in a straight line.

I doubt this will apply in a lake, but some lakes can be surprisingly choppy (especially during a tri, when there are possibly a bunch of motorboats zooming about the course periphery).

I have no idea what 'strengthen the last bit of your stroke' means. If it means finish off the very end of your pull strong (like forcefully make sure your arm is straight down your body, extended as far as possible along your leg) the answer is unequivocally NO. You are not 'gaining' nearly as much force as just going ahead and pulling with your forward hand that is already there, and getting your lag hand back up and out quickly. There is nothing to be gained by finishing your stroke off with force. It will also likely throw your rhythm off.

The part of the stroke to really be strengthened is the early-vertical-forearm pull right after the catch. Your body, the hip opposite the pulling arm (by snapping back toward center in the roll), and your entire pulling arm are all set to create maximum forward movement at that critical point.

Hey, one of my BFFs in the whole wide world lives in Denver--need anything interesting to do while you're there? He likes beer.

2011-04-25 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3464169

User image

Melon Presser
deliriousxix - 2011-04-25 11:18 PM

Yanti- I hate that you have pneumonia.. How miserable! Hope you feel better very soon..

wow! congrats on the PR's and the 3000m swim! You guys make me feel so lazy on my Easter weekend I am still full from my family's traditional Easter brunch yesterday..

I did do something productive this weekend though! tried my first OWS.. It was in a lake and the conditions were pretty bad (for a first swim). There was 15-20mph winds where I was so the waves were larger than I was expecting.. I had my boyfriend follow me in a kayak and I just swam to the other side of the lake (in a cove) and back, which was about 500yds. I had to stop a few times, but I was suprised about how comfortable I was in the water.  It'll be nice to try it again once I finish all of my swim classes that I am taking..

I also went on a bike ride Friday, and I have a few questions for some of you more experienced cyclists.. I apologize ahead of time if they seem very naive:

2) When you are climbing a hill, should you be increasing or decreasing your cadence? (this ones probably REALLY stupid, sorry!)

and 3) How important are clipless pedals? I thought for my first couple tris I'd be okay without them.. but I am starting to realize that EVERYBODY has them..

Aw thanks! I'm slowly getting better. Honestly it's been the least worst of the four serious illnesses I've had in the past 10 months ...

1) Yes, if you feel comfortable doing so ('cause you will go even faster, and make sure your gearing is in the big ring. If you're not sure what that is, ask. What kind of bike are you on?). If you just want to stay safe and sane going downhill, slide back on your seat, tuck in, hug the frame with your knees if you need to, and ***FEATHER*** the brakes. Never apply the brakes fully or hard if you're going fast. You will 'endo' (as in your END will go Over the handlebars ...)

2) You want to try to spin up hills, meaning keeping a higher cadence. Low cadences going uphill are murder on the knees. To spin up, you'll want to be shifting into higher (easier) gears BEFORE you need to; if you wait until you're grinding on the pedals to shift, you will likely drop your chain.

3) For your first few tris, not at all. And it just seems like everybody has them. If you're fully committed to tri or cycling for a long time and you have the spare cash, then yes, go ahead and get them.

2011-04-25 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3464169

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
deliriousxix - 2011-04-25 8:18 AM

My thoughts:

1)  Basically, keep pedaling until you reach a speed your are comfortable with.  Take a break if you need one - even stand on the pedals and let your areas air out if you want.  Can "light" pedal and use the hill as a chance to recover or continue to "mash" the pedals and use the hill to catch-up / get ahead (if looking for the x factor).  However, every downhill is different so the race situation and how you feel should dictate if you pedal or not - no specific rule (but it is a race).

2)  THIS IS NOT A STUPID QUESTION and climbing technique is debated on an ongoing basis.  The best approach is keeping it the same cadence while working down through the gears - speed will slow some.  Smaller riders usually use the higher pedal cadence to carry them up the hill.  Larger riders (more power) will usually slow some and use their power in their legs to keep speed up - but this does cause latic acid build-up and can fatigue your legs.  Even then, cadence will still probably be above 70 rpm since it takes less energy at higher cadence.

3)  Clipless are VERY IMPORTANT - maybe.  Kind of depends on the bike - no point putting them on a cruiser, but if you have a 10 speed type bike or better - get some.  Not sure if you have flat pedals or clipped pedals but both have concerns that clipless will address.  Flat pedals:  Won't be able to reach higher cadence and feet can easily slip off.  Clipped pedals - they should be tightened after you mount (most people don't do this) - which means reaching for them.  Once in, they are harder to get out of in emergency situations.

If you have never ridden with clipless, get lower end ones and upgrade later - just make sure they have some "rotation" or "float" (how much you can twist your ankle back and forth before it unlocks).  As a beginner, it may be best to have a local bike ship install them and help get you set-up with them.  Some reasons they are important are:  1) can pedal at a higher cadence (~90 RPM is optimum) 2) permits both a pull and push stroke to use more of your leg muscles - less fatigue 3) they are safer overall.  You will also need to get cycling shoes.

Hope this helps get you going - feel free to ask clarifying questions.

PS - OVERALL, I hear that triathlon pedal cadence should be 80 - 100 with ~ 90 optimum (lower on uphill or head wind, higher downhill or tail wind).  90 is optimum since that is almost the same foot turnover that you should be using during your run.  Pure cyclists will go higher 100 - 110 since it is more efficient, but that takes practice and does not relate to a run cadence as well.

2011-04-25 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3464244

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

Yes. IF there are waves or chop, increase the stroke count (this will probably naturally cause you not to eke out that last bit of glide). The reason being that you're going to need a little extra control (your paddling arms have to act a bit like rudders) and you can't continue enough momentum at the very end of the glide for it to be worth the correction you will have to make to stay in a straight line.

I doubt this will apply in a lake, but some lakes can be surprisingly choppy (especially during a tri, when there are possibly a bunch of motorboats zooming about the course periphery).

I have no idea what 'strengthen the last bit of your stroke' means. If it means finish off the very end of your pull strong (like forcefully make sure your arm is straight down your body, extended as far as possible along your leg) the answer is unequivocally NO. You are not 'gaining' nearly as much force as just going ahead and pulling with your forward hand that is already there, and getting your lag hand back up and out quickly. There is nothing to be gained by finishing your stroke off with force. It will also likely throw your rhythm off.

The part of the stroke to really be strengthened is the early-vertical-forearm pull right after the catch. Your body, the hip opposite the pulling arm (by snapping back toward center in the roll), and your entire pulling arm are all set to create maximum forward movement at that critical point.

Hey, one of my BFFs in the whole wide world lives in Denver--need anything interesting to do while you're there? He likes beer.

+++++++++++++++

Thanks!  Will have to try some of this today if I make it during lunch - and it seems like everyone in Denver likes beer.Cool Does he do tri's too and does he know of any good open water swimming holes?

Edited by mackjenn 2011-04-25 10:14 AM
2011-04-25 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3464315

User image

Melon Presser
mackjenn - 2011-04-26 12:09 AM

PS - OVERALL, I hear that triathlon pedal cadence should be 80 - 100 with ~ 90 optimum (lower on uphill or head wind, higher downhill or tail wind).  90 is optimum since that is almost the same foot turnover that you should be using during your run.  Pure cyclists will go higher 100 - 110 since it is more efficient, but that takes practice and does not relate to a run cadence as well.

Cadence for cycling (actually swimming and running, too) is a personal thing--what works really well for one person may not work well for another. The range above is about right, and generally (although this will definitely happen from time to time, especially as you first start tackling hills) you don't want to be much lower than 50rpm going uphill. => sad knees

2011-04-25 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3464327

User image

Melon Presser
mackjenn - 2011-04-26 12:13 AM

Thanks!  Will have to try some of this today if I make it during lunch - and it seems like everyone in Denver likes beer.Cool Does he do tri's too and does he know of any good open water swimming holes?

Nah, he's an old HS friend of mine whom my mom loves more than she loves me. Heh. He does 5Ks and 10Ks, likes to ski once in a while but not much else. He probably knows of good OWS ...

2011-04-25 10:42 AM

User image

Melon Presser

This is the world's awesomest post on swimming. Required reading for those who haven't, and required reviewing for those who have.

Bigfuzzydoug's 10 Points to Swimming

2011-04-25 1:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix

Happy Monday Manatees! Hope everyone had a great Easter!  I have a couple pages to catch up on -- but just wanted to pop in and say "Hey!" 

2011-04-25 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3462321

User image

Veteran
Austin

Great weekend so far!!!

Way to go - congrats!  And an extra congrats to Jan!!

2011-04-25 1:27 PM

User image

Melon Presser
mackjenn - 2011-04-24 3:29 AM

Great weekend so far!!!

How did I miss this before??? (Oh right, hacking my lungs out)

SUPER BIG HIGH FLIPPER on both counts!!!

2011-04-25 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3464387

User image

Veteran
Austin
TriAya - 2011-04-25 10:42 AM

This is the world's awesomest post on swimming. Required reading for those who haven't, and required reviewing for those who have.

Bigfuzzydoug's 10 Points to Swimming

I've read this at least 10 different times over the past 6 months, and each time I learn a little more!  

2011-04-25 2:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin

I've had a real up and down week with my training.  I had a big biking breakthrough - I managed to drink while riding my bike!  Up until this point, I've had to stop when I needed a drink, as I was terrified of letting go with one hand.  I was starting to get worried that I was going to have a real problem come race day (and I still may!), but I think I'm headed in the right direction.  It wasn't as bad as I had feared.  Fear is still my main obstacle on the bike.

While my biking is going better, my swimming got worse!  I don't know if it is all in my head, or if I've actually done something to mess up my stroke.  But, I'm having trouble catching my breath after only short distances.  I thought I'd worked through this many months ago, but now I seem to have taken some steps backwards.  I went ahead and signed up for another set of 4 private lessons, starting next Monday.  So hopefully, my wonderful swim instructor can get me back on track.  Yikes!

How's everyone else's training going?

2011-04-25 3:14 PM

User image

Master

Hi there Manatees.  Hope everyone is making through their Monday after having a Happy Easter!  I got in a hard -windy as all get out- ride this weekend.  Now the storms are back for a few days, so I'll be stuck inside. 

Looks like I have a couple of pages of reading to do

2011-04-25 7:49 PM
in reply to: #3461710

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!
Lag - 2011-04-22 8:51 PM

Breakthrough day in the pool today.  I've been doing all my workouts in segments of let's just say "not many" laps at a time.  Today, finally got the rhythm back to where I felt that I could have kept going and going.  A big relief as I was beginning to think it would take another month to come back.  I'm still very slow, very sloppy, can't swim very far, and in constant slight danger of drowning, but at least I'm much better today than yesterday.

I think the key for me is to be able to break through the first few hundred yards in a row.  I seem to have a lot of inertia.  Once that is overcome, things get much easier.

trainforacure - 2011-04-21 11:13 AM 

It's all in the head (well, a lot it LOL)  I found keeping my head way in, with chin almost touching neck (i.e. imagine you're holding a tennis ball between chin and chest.) Then when I rotate, slightly, I don't lift my head; just move my head together with my body to the side I'm breathing; as if my body is in a skewer and it moves as one unit...

I tried this today.  Didn't help at first, but it did remind me of a drinking game I used to play in college in which you pass an orange between people without using your hands.  Eventually, though, it did start to help.  Thanks.

LMAO!!! No, that's not the technique I meant. Laughing.  So, are you still having problems with balance and sinking?  Also, regarding the 'not many laps,' are you making sure you are releasing bubbles all throughout the time your head is under the water? (i.e. don't hold your breath.)

2011-04-25 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3460092

User image

Veteran
lmscozz - 2011-04-22 12:19 AM
crystalashworth - 2011-04-21 8:05 PM
mackjenn - 2011-04-21 8:49 PM
TriAya - 2011-04-21 10:14 AM
trainforacure - 2011-04-22 12:51 AM
TriAya - 2011-04-20 1:49 PM
mackjenn - 2011-04-21 2:31 AM
trainforacure - 2011-04-20 10:29 AM
TriAya - 2011-04-18 8:13 AM

ocean swim in.

PURPLE with envy!! LOL Although I grew up in a tropical/Caribbean island, it wasn't until last year that I did a real OWS in the ocean!!! OMG! There's OWS and then there's OWS in the ocean!! What a beautiful experience! Did 2 sessions, 2 hrs each, in 3 days in clear, turquoise waters! Saw corals and lots of neon colored fish! Needless to say, Cozumel will be my first IM Smile

Ocean swim in...Any chance I'll get to see those beautiful fish and turquoise waters in the san fancisco bay this june?

Probably not, but plenty of great whites ply those waters.

LOL. But if you make it out alive, you can have LOTS OF CHOCOLATE!! LOL

This is why I can't do a tri in SF ... I'd veer off on the bike or run ... one time I saw a "Pizza, 3mi" sign during a triathlon and that's all I could think about for the rest of the bike.

Come on!!! I've never been to SF and all this bad food talk has me worried. I have another tri 2 weeks later and I can't afford to partake in too much "recovery".

WHAT???  Never been to SF??  As a West Coaster, that is blasphemy.  hehe  j/k    Seriously, they have tons of extremely good (bad) food!  Umm..can you say Ghirardelli?

Really good Chinese in SF, too! Also, some yummy seafood down by the Wharf which can be fattening or not, depending on how you order. But you absolutely have to indulge in a bit of Ghiradelli and sourdough bread. Then you can drive up north a bit and imbibe in some Champagne at the Korbel winery in Guernville. Mud baths up in Calistoga are pretty cool, too.

My Team in Training event this year is the Nike's Women's Marathon.  I really, really didn't need to know about all these food options for carb loading and recovery Laughing

2011-04-25 7:52 PM
in reply to: #3464269

User image

Veteran

Aw thanks! I'm slowly getting better.

Glad to hear!! SmileSmile

2011-04-25 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3464956

User image

Veteran
lounav - 2011-04-25 3:29 PM

I've had a real up and down week with my training.  I had a big biking breakthrough - I managed to drink while riding my bike!  Up until this point, I've had to stop when I needed a drink, as I was terrified of letting go with one hand.  I was starting to get worried that I was going to have a real problem come race day (and I still may!), but I think I'm headed in the right direction.  It wasn't as bad as I had feared.  Fear is still my main obstacle on the bike.

While my biking is going better, my swimming got worse!  I don't know if it is all in my head, or if I've actually done something to mess up my stroke.  But, I'm having trouble catching my breath after only short distances.  I thought I'd worked through this many months ago, but now I seem to have taken some steps backwards.  I went ahead and signed up for another set of 4 private lessons, starting next Monday.  So hopefully, my wonderful swim instructor can get me back on track.  Yikes!

How's everyone else's training going?

Make sure you get to the point where you retrieve and return the bottle without looking down--i.e. by 'feel' of where your cage is.  When you return the bottle to the cage, make sure your fingers actually touch the cage and that the bottle is really in.  Bottles galore all over the course are common and are very dangerous if you hit one.  They get caught between your front wheel and the pavement and can turn you into a projectile. 

My swimming, and everything else, got worse this week too.  After 2 days, I realized I got some aliens living in my lungs.  So, now I'm killing them with meds.  Are you making sure you release bubbles throughout all the time your head is in the water?

2011-04-25 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
mackjenn - 2011-04-23 2:29 PM

Great weekend so far!!!

Congratulations! How was the SF tri? Did you do it or just visit?

2011-04-25 8:09 PM
in reply to: #3464315

User image

Veteran
mackjenn - 2011-04-25 11:09 AM
deliriousxix - 2011-04-25 8:18 AM

2) permits both a pull and push stroke to use more of your leg muscles - less fatigue

This last one will become very clear when you climb because the pull is very important when climbing.  And your quads will feel it right away if you're pulling correctly Smile

2011-04-25 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3465671

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
trainforacure - 2011-04-25 7:04 PM
mackjenn - 2011-04-23 2:29 PM

Great weekend so far!!!

Congratulations! How was the SF tri? Did you do it or just visit?

Thanks!  The SF Tri is the Escape from Alcatraz and it is not until June 5.  This one was just a local run here in Pueblo.

2011-04-25 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran

I hope everyone had a good Easter if you celebrate it. Although, I think rabbits are non-denominational.   I had a fierce duel with a dark chocolate Wabbit and, I'm sorry to say, he lost.  But I made sure it was quick.

I got something going on with my lungs.  No fever or chills, just wheezing that makes it difficult to crank things up.  So, I was not able to do all the training I wanted this past weekend.  I took Sat. and today off and plan to resume tomorrow.  Hopefully, it will be gone soon! 

I hope everyone has a good week!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  

of 43