BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-05-02 12:04 PM
in reply to: #3477226

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED

nick_318is - 2011-05-02 9:13 AM My biggest concern is where to pick up on my training when I get back, should I just skip the workouts I miss and pick up where I should be on the plan when I get back.  The Green Cells are the workouts I will miss.  If I pick up where I come back it's essentially a Recovery week after 9-10 days off.  So where should I pick this back up? 

I searched for a correct answer for this but came up blank when I was off for 2 weeks with a shin splint. What I did was mainly focus on Biking and swimming for those 2 weeks and then picked up the training where I had left off. I would try to get in some running during your vacation to maintain fitness. Hopefully the lull in training wont take you out of the prize money in your triathlons

2011-05-02 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3476875

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

mjsark - 2011-05-02 5:02 AM .However, I have arranged with her whilst she was under the influence to do a tough Xcountry half marathon in about a month!! So I have something to work too. The silver lining is there!!I will be aiming for 2hours, so will need to push it a bit, it's very hilly, with lots of stop/start fences and gates.Have a good day, cheers,mark

Awesome, be sure to eat LOTS OF CHINESE FOOD the night before!!!!!!

2011-05-02 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3477370

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
benjaminjacobso - 2011-05-02 9:42 AM

Do you bike shoes and clip pedals?  I just got mine a few weeks ago on my "commuter" and now I really try to avoid left turns.  It's too easy to forget you're clipped in and fall over (like I did on Friday).

just keep riding with them and clipping in and out. You do get used to it. The last time I rode a bike without clippless pedals I felt really disconnected from the bike.

2011-05-02 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3478029

User image

Veteran
Southern Saratoga County, NY
DaveL - 2011-05-02 2:46 PM
benjaminjacobso - 2011-05-02 9:42 AM

Do you bike shoes and clip pedals?  I just got mine a few weeks ago on my "commuter" and now I really try to avoid left turns.  It's too easy to forget you're clipped in and fall over (like I did on Friday).

just keep riding with them and clipping in and out. You do get used to it. The last time I rode a bike without clippless pedals I felt really disconnected from the bike.

One good whammy seems to have done the learning!

2011-05-02 4:41 PM
in reply to: #3477370

User image

Regular

Oh yes, I have clipless pedals.  I had the dubious pleasure of having photographic evidence of my first fall.

I'm doing pretty well on the pedals though, and I generally unclip a ways before getting to intersections.  Avoiding left turns isn't really possible, but I appreciate the advice on how to deal with them!

2011-05-02 11:26 PM
in reply to: #3435962

User image

Champion
Calgary
Hey all, way to keep things going!

Alcohol: In moderation great, otherwise brutal. No two ways. I night of drinkings is a huge mistake for me. Bad sleep = bad recovery. Hangover = bad run. Empty calories = fat. There is a never ending debate here on BT about if you can drink, how much, how often blah blah blah blah. Everyone has their limits and makes their own choices. I don't got no soapbox but better to hit a workout than miss a workout. The day before an easy day I may be talked into a couple. The day before a hard day, 1 tops. Awesome you are doing a trail HM. What is it like?

Chinese food: many of the above apply. Boy, I bet you were thirsty, ha. I have done those runs the morning after a salt infused meal then wondered why my mouth was like a cotton ball, ha. Seriously, sorry to hear about the run, way to get it done though.

Nik, week offs are tough. 2 schools of thought, forgettaboutit and just have a good holiday, which seems to be your plan. That is cool. I like your idea of just redoing that 5/16 week. IT is a bit of a jump in volume, just be prepared to scale back a bit if you can't handle it for some reason.

Deb, congrats on getting out on the road. Nothing wrong with being scared, probably always a good thing and prevents you from getting too comfortable.

Ben I like your idea of going through busy intersections. Although I don't quite understand what you are saying, sounds like you are saying don't worry about turning at the right time just turn when it is safe and the road is empty. Makes good sense to me.

2011-05-02 11:30 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Where I was today:

So, um, yeah. Road my bike to work (yeah first time this year) got a flat (boo), had no spare because I am cocky like that. Got a ride to work. Late, did some work. Took my bike to The Good Life (free bike place that has tools and stuff so you can work on your bike) never been there, cool place, I wanted them to fix the flat they said, "here, you do it yourself". Ha, anyways, back to work, work, back to bike place, fixed tire, went for quick easy run, looked at tire, realised it wasnt quite right (there was a giant bulge near the valve) youtubed that, fixed that (had to deflate tire and then push the valve into the tire so the tube went into the tire), worked some more, rode home.

Any day with 4 hours of working out is a good one.

See you all tomorrow. Signing out from BLUE Alberta (yep we had an election here), and that is all I will say about that.
2011-05-03 6:26 AM
in reply to: #3478381

User image

Veteran
Subject: ---

Edited by benjaminjacobso 2011-05-03 7:54 AM
2011-05-03 6:31 AM
in reply to: #3478381

User image

Veteran

Deb-

Thanks for the pic - at least nobody got me with a camera. 

I took yesterday off.  Just exhausted.  Hope to get in the pool today.  I have some scabs on my right ankle at the back - right over the achilles.  I think it was from the bike - maybe my sock was bunched up or something. Thinking back to my race - I do recall some discomfort there during the run.  Anyway - I think I'll swim today - and maybe lift after depending on how I feel.

Cheers

Ben

Edited by benjaminjacobso 2011-05-03 6:32 AM
2011-05-03 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3478981

User image

Veteran

BigDH - 2011-05-03 12:26 AM  Ben I like your idea of going through busy intersections. Although I don't quite understand what you are saying, sounds like you are saying don't worry about turning at the right time just turn when it is safe and the road is empty. Makes good sense to me.

Nope - I'm saying if it's too crazy on the road to feel OK about taking a left - then don't do it.  Go just past the intersection in the right lane and do a U Turn on the side of the road.  Then, going the wrong way, take a left onto the intersecting road and do another Uturn. Then - just go straight thru the intersection.  It avoids the dreaded left turn.

Edited by benjaminjacobso 2011-05-03 9:29 AM
2011-05-03 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3479282

User image

Regular
benjaminjacobso - 2011-05-03 7:12 AM

BigDH - 2011-05-03 12:26 AM  Ben I like your idea of going through busy intersections. Although I don't quite understand what you are saying, sounds like you are saying don't worry about turning at the right time just turn when it is safe and the road is empty. Makes good sense to me.

Nope - I'm saying if it's too crazy on the road to feel OK about taking a left - then don't do it.  Go just past the intersection in the right lane and do a U Turn on the side of the road.  Then, going the wrong way, take a left onto the intersecting road and do another Uturn. Then - just go straight thru the intersection.  It avoids the dreaded left turn.

Okay, I'm confused again.  At first I thought you were suggesting just going through to the other side of the intersection and then going with traffic that way.  Now, I think you're saying go straight, then go further up the road and pull a u-turn?

2011-05-03 1:27 PM
in reply to: #3480051

User image

Regular

So I had a swim yesterday that was really hard.  Once we finished warmup, she started us on sprints, and we basically did that the whole class.  It was really hard and I honestly kept thinking I didn't have it in me to go any longer.  Then I did. 

I went home afterwards and talked to my husband about getting Angie (the tri coach who is running the program) as a coach for me eventually.  It isn't in the budget right now, but in the next couple years it will be.  I push myself a lot and I've pushed my limits immensely in the last year, but last night taught me that I can be pushed a lot further then I realize.

Had a good run this morning with a friend.  Also have a bike on plan for today.  It was going to be an evening thing, but then the commitment I had this afternoon got cancelled.  So, I'm debating a hybrid/chariot ride instead.  I'm not sure though, since it just finished hailing and looks like it might again.  It depends on the weather in the next couple hours.

2011-05-03 2:33 PM
in reply to: #3478981

User image

Regular
Royal Oak

BigDH - 2011-05-03 12:26 AM Nik, week offs are tough. 2 schools of thought, forgettaboutit and just have a good holiday, which seems to be your plan. That is cool. I like your idea of just redoing that 5/16 week. IT is a bit of a jump in volume, just be prepared to scale back a bit if you can't handle it for some reason.

Thanks, I think I'll just plan on doing that if I run into any roadblocks I'll dial it back but I'm hopeful that it won't really be an issue.  I'm just striving to enjoy my trip.

2011-05-03 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3480051

User image

Champion
Calgary
_Deb_ - 2011-05-03 12:15 PM

benjaminjacobso - 2011-05-03 7:12 AM

Okay, I'm confused again.  At first I thought you were suggesting just going through to the other side of the intersection and then going with traffic that way.  Now, I think you're saying go straight, then go further up the road and pull a u-turn?

lol I get what you are saying Ben. Either way it comes down you are braking the law in order to feel safer on your bike. I tell you though, I freak way out if I am going against the traffic on a bike. FREAKY.

2011-05-03 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3480083

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL
_Deb_ - 2011-05-03 1:27 PM

So I had a swim yesterday that was really hard.  Once we finished warmup, she started us on sprints, and we basically did that the whole class.  It was really hard and I honestly kept thinking I didn't have it in me to go any longer.  Then I did. 

I went home afterwards and talked to my husband about getting Angie (the tri coach who is running the program) as a coach for me eventually.  It isn't in the budget right now, but in the next couple years it will be.  I push myself a lot and I've pushed my limits immensely in the last year, but last night taught me that I can be pushed a lot further then I realize.

Had a good run this morning with a friend.  Also have a bike on plan for today.  It was going to be an evening thing, but then the commitment I had this afternoon got cancelled.  So, I'm debating a hybrid/chariot ride instead.  I'm not sure though, since it just finished hailing and looks like it might again.  It depends on the weather in the next couple hours.

Deb - that's awesome that the tri coach was able to push you further than you thought you could be pushed!  That's her job right?  I hope you are able to utilize her services sooner rather than later if you think it will help.  In the meantime, it is now your job to push yourself that hard every day on your own!

2011-05-03 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3480381

User image

Veteran

lol I get what you are saying Ben. Either way it comes down you are braking the law in order to feel safer on your bike. I tell you though, I freak way out if I am going against the traffic on a bike. FREAKY.

Nah - no laws  - the uturns are done on the shoulder.

2011-05-03 7:38 PM

User image

Veteran

So - can folks in the group see each others'  logs?

Anyway - got a swim in today.  Felt just fine.  I am still so slow it's kind of sad - but at least I am

2011-05-04 8:47 AM
in reply to: #3480710

User image

Champion
Calgary
benjaminjacobso - 2011-05-03 6:38 PM

So - can folks in the group see each others'  logs?

Anyway - got a swim in today.  Felt just fine.  I am still so slow it's kind of sad - but at least I am

Yeah, just click on LOGS underneath a person post or click on their name.

eta:

and here is the cool chart that you can put in your Dashboard so you can go directly to everyone's log.

Ticking off the BOXES

link to the forum pg1

Edited by BigDH 2011-05-04 9:06 AM
My Race Log
2011-05-04 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3480418

User image

Champion
Calgary
rdietz - 2011-05-03 2:42 PM

Deb - that's awesome that the tri coach was able to push you further than you thought you could be pushed!  That's her job right?  I hope you are able to utilize her services sooner rather than later if you think it will help.  In the meantime, it is now your job to push yourself that hard every day on your own!

One of the other never ending debates, to get a coach or be self coached. Without a competent coach I think you have to be careful. You cannot push it hard all the time. You will break. A coach encourages you to go easy on your easy days and HARD on your hard days. That is the challenge, with or without a coach. It is too easy just to go medium all the time which is great for general fitness but mostly useless for breaking through plateaus.
2011-05-04 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3481418

User image

Regular
BigDH - 2011-05-04 8:14 AM
rdietz - 2011-05-03 2:42 PM

One of the other never ending debates, to get a coach or be self coached. Without a competent coach I think you have to be careful. You cannot push it hard all the time. You will break. A coach encourages you to go easy on your easy days and HARD on your hard days. That is the challenge, with or without a coach. It is too easy just to go medium all the time which is great for general fitness but mostly useless for breaking through plateaus.

Yeah, and that is exactly why I'd like to get her as a coach eventually.  I know I can't push myself like that everytime.  Heck, she doesn't push us like that everytime.  Most of the earlier sessions have been very technique focused.  So, while they were mentally taxing, and I had to really focus on form, I didn't find them physically exhausting like this.  Having said that, I have no doubt she has had a plan all along (she should, after all).  Lately, the workouts have been getting more physically taxing as we get closer to tri season.

Most of my workouts are still at a moderate intensity, and for now, I still benefit from that.  I don't want to push the speed too much on the run until I lose a bit more weight.  On the bike, I still need to build mileage.  On the swim, my technique was so poor when I started.  I'm still working on it a lot.

I see gains all the time with what I'm doing, so I'm still cautious about pushing the limits too much.  I don't want to end up injured.  Having said that, I'd feel safer pushing the limits if somebody experienced was there guiding me.  I can't afford her yet, but in the next couple years I'll be able to.

2011-05-04 2:45 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Okay, point of discussion, what is your pre-race meal? Night before and breakfast?

2011-05-04 3:00 PM
in reply to: #3482168

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

Somewhat controversial but here was my last pre race meals

Chinese food for dinner

pastries and cereal for breakfast

I might try something different next time.

2011-05-04 3:04 PM
in reply to: #3482197

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I havent been doing great in the training department over the last few days so I went out this morning for a bike ride. Ended up biking out to the ski hill and biking the hills around there. 3hr ride 83km later I got back home tired but happy.
2011-05-04 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3482168

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

BigDH - 2011-05-04 2:45 PM Okay, point of discussion, what is your pre-race meal? Night before and breakfast?

Depends on the race. 

Marathon - pasta with a light sauce, veggies and some protein for dinner the night before.  Bowl of cereal, banana, yogurt and a bagel with cream cheese. 

5K - regular portions of protein, veggies and starch for dinner.  Bowl of cereal for breakfast. 

2011-05-04 4:36 PM
in reply to: #3482205

User image

Champion
Calgary
DaveL - 2011-05-04 2:04 PM

I havent been doing great in the training department over the last few days so I went out this morning for a bike ride. Ended up biking out to the ski hill and biking the hills around there. 3hr ride 83km later I got back home tired but happy.

that is awesome!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21