BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-05-14 9:29 PM
in reply to: #3499445

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED
bmason - 2011-05-14 7:20 PM

Chicago marathon in fall and looking forward to my wife running her first with me.  We are raising money for a brain cancer research for a friend.

That's on my wish list.  I hear it is a great marathon.  Thing is, everytime I run a marathon I tell myself I am not doing another. 

2011-05-15 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3441467

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
Unofficial results of the half marathon (my Garmin) are in, 2 hours 6 minutes 50 seconds. I will import the results later, but second half was faster than the first 6.55 miles. Feeling really good right now!
2011-05-15 1:47 PM

User image

Congrats on the HM!   Well done. 

I decided to do mine as well.  Slowest HM i've done, but I have tons of excuses      My goal was to make it a training day, and I basically ran my training pace so nothing to complain about.   Quite happy that I didn't walk any of the numerous hills on the course, even though I planned on doing so.

2011-05-15 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3499830

User image

Expert
Boston

hoots - 2011-05-15 11:34 AM Unofficial results of the half marathon (my Garmin) are in, 2 hours 6 minutes 50 seconds. I will import the results later, but second half was faster than the first 6.55 miles. Feeling really good right now!

Great job Hoots! Congratulations

2011-05-15 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Boston

Sorry for not being around as I had hoped to be.  You would think that being unemployed I would have all sorts of time to get to the computer...but its just not so.  I do most of my logging off my phone these days. 

Anyways...Had a most awesome week! No running issues...YAY! Discovered a new trail running place complete with stream crossings and log hopping! And today i just ran 45 minutes and I feel great.  There is a slight tweak behind the right knee but nothing too major.  Time for some foam rolling!   I also discovered Pack Monadnock in NH this week to ride up.  The summit road is 1.4 miles long with an average grade of 12%. The last 200 or 300 yards or so is a 20% grade.  So every Thursday you will know where to find me. Race day T -35 days.   Yesterday I rode 42 miles and rode it 4 minutes faster than last week!

I have one question if anyone knows:  My Garmin 310XT will sometimes read a  negative grade even when I am riding uphill.   Anyone know whats up with this?  It makes getting an accurate grade on something a little difficult.

Great job to all that raced this weekend.

2011-05-15 2:20 PM

User image

Expert
Boston
Chris - those are amazing pictures!

2011-05-15 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3500068

User image

Seren - the garmin forerunner series is notoriously inaccurate when it comes to elevations, I assume the grade calculation is inaccurate as well since it uses the same formulae to read those.  It goes by GPS (I believe) rather than barometric pressure,which the Edge series uses, and is more accurate (if not totally accurate).  You can't trust any elevation reading from a forerunner.  It is always at least 1.5 the actual elevation.
2011-05-15 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3499445

User image

bmason - 2011-05-14 7:20 PM

Gang..

I am so sorry that I have been MIA.   I have been out of the country, injured, etc.

After running the NY marathon last fall and trying to start training this spring, old overuse injuries kicked my butt.  Major mid calf strains that would not let up.  6 weeks of painful PT and I am finally beginning to run again.  Did a small sprint last week and trying to pick up the training.

I will try to check the post more often.  Training for several OLY, sprint and want to do a HIM before the injuries set in.

Chicago marathon in fall and looking forward to my wife running her first with me.  We are raising money for a brain cancer research for a friend.

Swimming is my weak link like most but working on getting better.

Welcome back!

2011-05-15 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3500073

User image

Payson, AZ

ChrisM - 2011-05-15 12:23 PM Seren - the garmin forerunner series is notoriously inaccurate when it comes to elevations, I assume the grade calculation is inaccurate as well since it uses the same formulae to read those.  It goes by GPS (I believe) rather than barometric pressure,which the Edge series uses, and is more accurate (if not totally accurate).  You can't trust any elevation reading from a forerunner.  It is always at least 1.5 the actual elevation.

Yeah, for all it's greatness the FR does two things horribly.  Anything related to elevation and calorie expenditure.  You'd think they could throw out a firmware update for that second problem but there is nothing you can do about the first one.  I think there is some mathematical formula you can do though.  Ride it again and hit lap as it starts and again as it ends...hum, maybe you need one more thing.  I could tell you how to do it on a compass with a mirror.

2011-05-16 7:35 AM
in reply to: #3500084

User image

Expert
Awesome work out there kids. I have been slacking big time. We are in full swing with two little league teams for the kids and the weekends are shot. I also seem to be piling the lbs back on   Will try to snap back into focus this week. Treadmill this morning and it is raining like Noah needs to build a boat all this week!!!
2011-05-16 9:35 AM

User image

Expert
Boston

Thanks guys!  I was afraid it was something like that.   When I bought the 310XT I wasn't sure exactly what I would need but it looked like the best out there.....Thanks god for websites that give grades for hills!

Everyone have a great week!

2011-05-16 10:34 AM

User image

Los Angeles
I am back in CA after a 3 day ride from NJ to DC.  The middle day was the hardest at 103 miles.  There was a ton of hills too.  Anyways, I ate like a pig after and I now leave for Fargo, ND on thursday.  Running the 1/2 marathon in Fargo on Saturday.  I hope to get a few runs in this week.  I am running the 5k with my 15 yr old cousin on Fri night and doing the 1/2 marathon with my other cousin on Sat.   This has been a yearly ritual for both of the above activities.  It's tough to do both but i do it.  Have a great week everyone!
2011-05-16 3:00 PM
in reply to: #3501490

User image

Expert
Boston

bad91 - 2011-05-16 11:34 AM I am back in CA after a 3 day ride from NJ to DC.  The middle day was the hardest at 103 miles.  There was a ton of hills too.  Anyways, I ate like a pig after and I now leave for Fargo, ND on thursday.  Running the 1/2 marathon in Fargo on Saturday.  I hope to get a few runs in this week.  I am running the 5k with my 15 yr old cousin on Fri night and doing the 1/2 marathon with my other cousin on Sat.   This has been a yearly ritual for both of the above activities.  It's tough to do both but i do it.  Have a great week everyone!

You are quite the jet setter! Great job on your ride and good luck next weekend!

2011-05-16 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3502265

User image

Los Angeles

Seren - 2011-05-16 1:00 PM

You are quite the jet setter! Great job on your ride and good luck next weekend!

Thx you!!!  I appreciate the thoughts!

2011-05-16 5:29 PM

User image

What's happened to all the newbies?  I know mike's checked in.....  anyone else?  helena? lisa?  Anyone planned a race yet?
2011-05-16 5:50 PM

User image

Original plan was to get a couple hours in yesterday (Sunday) on the bike with a friend, to loosen the legs up.  Woke up to the sound of rain.  While I would have liked to see my friend, staying cozy in bed on a Sunday morning with the wife was a better option.  Ate too much at a BBQ then a b day dinner for my wife...

Back at it today after work

2011-05-16 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3502547

Newbie (Jennifer) checking in . Don't have any races planned other than the redondo beach tri that I'm doing with a friend in June. I'm looking for another triathlon to do towards the end of summer/early fall so if anyone has any good race suggestions I'm all ears!
I'm currently in school so the quarter is about to wrap up and things are getting hectic. It'll be a challenge for me to fit in training but I'm sure it'll be worth it as it helps me keep my stress levels down . Trying to maintain consistency, so swimming, biking, running, strength all 2 x a week.
2011-05-16 10:31 PM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
I woke up pretty sore this morning.  I couldn't take it, so I took a long lunch and got a massage.  Legs are feeling much better now.  Went to the pool and swam 1400 yards this evening.  Need to find time for a quick bike tomorrow, it will be tough though.
2011-05-17 10:44 AM

User image

Payson, AZ

Anyone ever volunteer at transition for a tri before?  I'm volunteering on Sunday for a local tri (I'd have entered but I don't do pool swims).  Expecting a fun but busy day.  Although I have to be down at the university by 6AM.  Ugh.  Tri's start really early here.  One of the few things I miss about Oregon.

Course this means I have to figure out what to do about my long bike ride and my medium run scheduled for Sat/Sun.  I might shift my medium run to some time later this week and do my long bike Sat along with a shorter run.  This time of year I don't run in the afternoon if I can avoid it.  The sun automatically makes it feel 10 degrees hotter, and that is on top of the 90 degrees already. 

2011-05-17 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3503881

User image

Expert
Well, its 38 here and it has been raining HARD for four days straight. I will trade ya   Good luck finishing school Jennifer....
2011-05-17 1:07 PM

User image

Jennifer - I am doing Redondo as well.   It was my first, did it 3 years, volunteered for 3 years, now back to racing it.  Racing is easier than volunteering     As for later season races, sprint distance?  Take a look at my race log, over the years I've done almost all of them, other than Carpinteria and Catalina.  Playa del Rey in Oct is a great little low key race, and mostly flat.  I hear good things about Carpinteria and might do it this year.  If you have any questions about them, please ask....

Brandon - Yeah, today is the first day I am not feeling sore.  Funny how I can do a half mary on Sat, take Sun and Mon off and feel like a slug....

Kim - See comment above re volunteering vs. racing     Just be open to doing whatever they ask you to, and seek out the newbies to give them tips/encouragement, etc.

Kirk - we had that kind of rain Jan - Dec this year and it truly sucked....

As for me, I got home last night and had to prep dinner before getting on the trainer.  I feel bad when I get home before my wife, and she gets home later and there's no dinner and we still have to cook....  So I try toget things ready so all we have to do is turn the burners on.  Started watching the Tour of Calif. though, and that was all she wrote.

Honestly, the thought of sitting on that Adamo on the trainer makes me want to throw up, it hurts so bad after a while.  Think I just need to put the Fizik back on, or ride the road bike on the trainer.....

2011-05-17 6:27 PM

User image

Man I feel so behind this year.  Our weather in Illinois has been crappy with rain, cold and wind.  I am also fighting bad calf strains after my marathon last fall that I am just now getting some miles in but continue to be paranoid that will come back (stabbing soleus pain that I have had weeks of ASTYM therapy on). 

Any ideas on balancing pushing yourself and not destroying yourself.  The doc and PT guys say I have big scar tissue knots from overuse and not listening to my body when I have pain.  I came from the old school of no pain, no gain but am beginning to that is a flawed mindset at 45.

I have an OLY in July and want to squeeze in a few more between if my legs can handle it.

2011-05-17 6:34 PM
in reply to: #3504888

User image

Payson, AZ
bmason - 2011-05-17 4:27 PM

Man I feel so behind this year.  Our weather in Illinois has been crappy with rain, cold and wind.  I am also fighting bad calf strains after my marathon last fall that I am just now getting some miles in but continue to be paranoid that will come back (stabbing soleus pain that I have had weeks of ASTYM therapy on). 

Any ideas on balancing pushing yourself and not destroying yourself.  The doc and PT guys say I have big scar tissue knots from overuse and not listening to my body when I have pain.  I came from the old school of no pain, no gain but am beginning to that is a flawed mindset at 45.

I am not familiar with ASTYM but have you looked into ART?  One of the things ART does is break up scar tissue.  It's been very good for my issues

2011-05-17 6:38 PM

User image

My calves are sensitive.  Every time I've tried upping mileage too fast one of them will go.  I try to not do all my runs in hills.  And my ART guy saves me, like Kim mentioned.  He's an ultra runner and does 50s and 100s.  He also said he foam rolls basically every day, he has gotten to the point where he can tell while rolling if something is "off," or if there's a knot, and he'll change his run plan accordingly to get rid of it first.

2011-05-17 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3504906

User image

Expert
Ok.....what is ART???
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20