General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2011-12-31 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3550668

New user

Subject: RE: Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread

Just saying Hi. I'm signed up for this race and been a lurker on this site for a while.  Just wanted to let everyone know that while I've been a lurker, I like the information and ideas that come up in the forum discussion.  I don't know that I would have anything to add since I'm fairly new to IM racing (I DNF'd my first attempt at an IM last year) but appreciate those that do post and contribute and I'm looking forward to IMNYC.

Thanks

2012-01-01 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3963946

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Redsv, Happy New Year and thanks for checking in. What race did you enter last year? If you care to share, as a first timer myself I would love to hear about your experience last year. Maybe you could share it with us first timers to help us?

Looking forward to hearing from you and all the best this year.

KC

Redsv - 2011-12-31 4:05 PM

Just saying Hi. I'm signed up for this race and been a lurker on this site for a while.  Just wanted to let everyone know that while I've been a lurker, I like the information and ideas that come up in the forum discussion.  I don't know that I would have anything to add since I'm fairly new to IM racing (I DNF'd my first attempt at an IM last year) but appreciate those that do post and contribute and I'm looking forward to IMNYC.

Thanks

2012-01-01 5:49 PM

User image

Has anyone checked into the route of the new half marathon: Escape to the Palisades. Is this going to be part of the Ironman run course?? http://escapetopalisades.com/The_Course.html
2012-01-01 9:01 PM

User image

Just found this info.  Looks like Escape To the Palisades Half Marathon is part of the Ironman NYC Run Course!!  If I were doing this race, and in 2013 I may, doing this race before hand is a no-brainer. 

Here's a blurb from the facebbok page: 

Dont get closed out, this race will close out before you know it! a Half Marathon on the NYC Ironman run course, with a secure bike check in for those who want to ride over and get a brick training session in. On May 6th supporting the Palisades Interstate Park Conservancy www.escapetopalisades.com and SIGN UP TODAY

2012-01-01 9:01 PM

User image

Curse you double-post!!

Edited by Dream Chaser 2012-01-01 9:01 PM
2012-01-02 4:17 AM

New user

Aloha all,Thanks for the warm welcome, and sending some warm sunshine your way!I was checking out the elevation charts for the race and I'm not super familiar with the grade percentage of the hills. 3% grade isn't sooo bad, is it?Going for a 50 mile ride out to the north shore tomorrow. Happy training and happy new year!Kristin

2012-01-02 7:27 AM
in reply to: #3965579

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Dream Chaser - 2012-01-01 10:01 PM

Just found this info.  Looks like Escape To the Palisades Half Marathon is part of the Ironman NYC Run Course!!  If I were doing this race, and in 2013 I may, doing this race before hand is a no-brainer. 

Here's a blurb from the facebbok page: 

Dont get closed out, this race will close out before you know it! a Half Marathon on the NYC Ironman run course, with a secure bike check in for those who want to ride over and get a brick training session in. On May 6th supporting the Palisades Interstate Park Conservancy www.escapetopalisades.com and SIGN UP TODAY

hmmm very interesting! I may need to sign up for this.... Thanks for the heads up!
2012-01-02 9:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Massapequa, NY

Happy New Year to my fellow IMNY competitors.  I am also racing and just popped in after a 3-month hiatus nursing a shoulder injury.  Starting my training officially this week with a coach and just bought my new ride (Trek Speed Concept 7.5).

Great information posted so far on the site.  Thanks to all.  I live on long Island and work in Manhattan, so if any of you outside of the region (or unfamilar with it), please feel free to ask questions on logistics.  I cant help much with your performance/training as i am hoping to finish in one-piece with a smile on my face and a tear (or 2) in my eye.

Just my 2 cents on the Hudson....I swam in it this past August at the Nautica NYC tri and the conditions were very choppy, but the current was fairly strong (for my wave at least M35-39).  keep in mind that we had some very severe weather the night before.  In general, the chop should not be that bad, but I have some concerns for 2.4 miles if the chop is as bad as it was that morning.  On the plus side, the current is extremely helpful if you catch it at the right time. They (organizers on the FB page) are claiming that the current isnt as strong on the other side and that far upriver, but I'm questioning the source of that, and it isnt that far upriver from the start of the NYC tri.  You'll be better closer to center and away from the shoreline, and THAT will make a difference.  Also, dont sweat the stories of how "dirty" it is.  The Hudson has a bad rep.  have their been pollutants in the River? Absolutely. In fact, the NYC tri swim was threatened after a sewage leaks a few weaks before.  Keep in mind that the Hudson is a Tidal river and essentially washed itself out.  Don't let any thoughts of dirty water make you anxious.  They will work with the DEP and you can access water quality information online at the NYC.gov website (got to DEP).  The water was murky, but it was warm and comfortable.  It will be salty, so prepare yourself for that.  

In any event, I will be back more regularly now as it's starting to get serious...

Happy Training.  be safe.

Dave

2012-01-06 10:54 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
I had the opportunity to check out Ross Dock over the holiday break, as well as Palisades Interstate Parkway. Have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

Ross Dock is a hidden gem. Nice little park. Never even knew it was there. Should be a great transition area. I was a little concerned about the climb out of there, but there are 2 entrances and I'm pretty sure we take the one that's longer but less steep.

The PIP was alot smoother than I expected. Some relatively newly paved stretches. The hills aren't bad - typical NJ type hills. There is one double hill that will test us - down on the way back (for a great stretch of picking up speed), but obviously up on the way back. I didn't go all the way out to the turnaround, so can't comment on that.

Official Training starts in just over a week.

Edit: Forgot to mention that 2.4 miles away from the GW Bridge...that's gonna seem like a looooong way away. Probably freak out some people seeing how long 2.4 miles really is.

Edited by runnerx 2012-01-06 10:55 AM
2012-01-13 8:11 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Sunday 9am - per Facebook page, they're having a group run on the run course with a couple of pro triathletes. Anyone going?
2012-01-14 6:01 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
So when does everyone officially start training, and what plans are you using? I'm going to use a modified Fitzgerald 24 week plan, but I usually start plans a couple weeks early to allow for any unexpected down-time over the course of plan execution, so that means I should officially begin in a little over a month. Right now I'm still just in the process of trying to lay the foundation for the work to come....

2012-01-14 9:56 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Official start is this Monday. Fink's plan - a hybrid between competitive and intermediate.
2012-01-17 9:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Started in early December, have a coach, come on Kona!
2012-01-17 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3994665

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
ShawnFromNorfolk - 2012-01-17 10:06 AM

Started in early December, have a coach, come on Kona!

Good luck!!!
2012-01-17 2:16 PM

User image

Following BeIronFit and training officially started today         Woohoo!   I used this plan for IM Arizona and thought it worked out well.  The only issue I had with it is the last third of the program really ramps up the distance fast.  You feel slightly stagnant in the middle and then it is like a shot out of a cannon.  I might modify it myself a little bit to ease in a little better to the long stuff.
2012-01-17 8:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Massapequa, NY
Started this past Monday. I have hired a coach and am also rehabbing a shoulder injury. This is my first IM! Got myself a shiny new speed concept 7.5 for the effort!

2012-01-18 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3995536

User image

Master
New Jersey
TheNoid - 2012-01-17 3:16 PM

Following BeIronFit and training officially started today         Woohoo!   I used this plan for IM Arizona and thought it worked out well.  The only issue I had with it is the last third of the program really ramps up the distance fast.  You feel slightly stagnant in the middle and then it is like a shot out of a cannon.  I might modify it myself a little bit to ease in a little better to the long stuff.

I had the same experience last time too. I'm curious...How are you planning modify?
2012-01-18 1:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Massapequa, NY

By now, you all likely have received the host hotel data from the race director.  those of you planning to book, i'd suggest you do so soon.  I just booked my rooms and they said the phone is ringing off the hook.  The race rate is $259 per night, with no mininum.  The regular rate for August is $359, so there appears to be savings (though average daily rates fluctuate in the hospitality industry).  I think you can do better at a boutique or alternative (marriott marquis), so you might consider that.

NOTE: the rooms are single occupancy (1 bed with an optional rollout).  Seems weird for this type of event, especially if you have family attending as i do.  I asked that they accomodate my request with 2 double beds, but they cannot gurantee.  be sure to ask!

Edited by Dlyon 2012-01-18 1:36 PM
2012-01-18 1:44 PM
in reply to: #3997652

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
Dlyon - 2012-01-17 8:34 PM

By now, you all likely have received the host hotel data from the race director.  those of you planning to book, i'd suggest you do so soon.  I just booked my rooms and they said the phone is ringing off the hook.  The race rate is $259 per night, with no mininum.  The regular rate for August is $359, so there appears to be savings (though average daily rates fluctuate in the hospitality industry).  I think you can do better at a boutique or alternative (marriott marquis), so you might consider that.

NOTE: the rooms are single occupancy (1 bed with an optional rollout).  Seems weird for this type of event, especially if you have family attending as i do.  I asked that they accomodate my request with 2 double beds, but they cannot gurantee.  be sure to ask!

got my double room for x3 nights immediately
2012-01-19 10:12 PM
in reply to: #3997673

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
It looks like they are going all out to make the logistics and crowd control a success at this event - the two dedicated ferry routes really make a lot of sense and should make it reasonable to get around for Friday and Saturday, for participants and spectators alike. And they've done a nice job putting together a variety of hotel options that will work without needing to drive to transition.

I just reserved at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor for Thursday night thru Sunday night - the logistics from there look really good (the race-run ferries leave right outside the hotel), the rooms are suites, and the rate is really reasonable. Although it would be fun to stay right in the city, there's a 5-minute ferry ride from Lincoln Harbor to the 39th street ferry terminal to use to get over to the expo without having to drive. The only downside is going to be finding a way to be at the finish line for the midnight finishers, and at the store for finisher gear early Sunday, assuming I'm in condition to do those things.

Which it turns out might be a problem after looking at the run elevation profiles - holy smokes Assuming that is right, 2200ft elevation gain in an IM marathon is a ton, especially when it is all in the first 18-19 miles... I think the original St. George course was around 2400ft, and that has always been viewed as the hardest and a total sufferfest. If you believe the elevation numbers some people put on the facebook page for that Palisades half marathon, it might be even worse, like 3000+. I'm going to try to get over there on a trip back east in late February and record the course for myself. Serious hill training definitely appears to be in order for this one, wasn't really planning for that.
2012-01-20 5:08 AM
in reply to: #4000751

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
coxma22 - 2012-01-19 11:12 PM

It looks like they are going all out to make the logistics and crowd control a success at this event - the two dedicated ferry routes really make a lot of sense and should make it reasonable to get around for Friday and Saturday, for participants and spectators alike. And they've done a nice job putting together a variety of hotel options that will work without needing to drive to transition.

I just reserved at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor for Thursday night thru Sunday night - the logistics from there look really good (the race-run ferries leave right outside the hotel), the rooms are suites, and the rate is really reasonable. Although it would be fun to stay right in the city, there's a 5-minute ferry ride from Lincoln Harbor to the 39th street ferry terminal to use to get over to the expo without having to drive. The only downside is going to be finding a way to be at the finish line for the midnight finishers, and at the store for finisher gear early Sunday, assuming I'm in condition to do those things.

Which it turns out might be a problem after looking at the run elevation profiles - holy smokes Assuming that is right, 2200ft elevation gain in an IM marathon is a ton, especially when it is all in the first 18-19 miles... I think the original St. George course was around 2400ft, and that has always been viewed as the hardest and a total sufferfest. If you believe the elevation numbers some people put on the facebook page for that Palisades half marathon, it might be even worse, like 3000+. I'm going to try to get over there on a trip back east in late February and record the course for myself. Serious hill training definitely appears to be in order for this one, wasn't really planning for that.

yikes..... what. have. I. done......

2012-01-20 9:37 AM

User image

According to the facebook race organizer, they got 1755 feet of gain for 13.1 miles.  That's 3510 for the full marathon!! 

That elevation chart looks gnarly!!  Looks like 9 legit climbs, with a dozen more rollers in between.  And that's just the half-marathon.  You guys better get hill training.

Edited by Dream Chaser 2012-01-20 9:38 AM
2012-01-20 11:09 AM
in reply to: #4001334

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
Thinking about it a bit more, the 2200 number published on the IM run profile seems about right - we do the Palisades half marathon as the first part of the IM marathon, to get the first 1750 feet. Then we leave that course behind and do the 300 foot climb up to the GW bridge, to get to 2050, and then some small hills and bumps on the NYC side make up the rest. Looks like the total damage up to getting on the bridge will be:

5 200 foot climbs and matching descents
3 150 foot climbs and matching descents
then a 300 foot climb up to the bridge (works out to about a 3% grade for two miles)
And, to top it off, we then get the stairs to deal with.

All in about 15 miles. Ouch. I haven't done IM LP, but what everyone refers to as "the big climb back into town" is a single 150 foot elevation gain.
My target race weight just dropped 5 pounds after seeing this.
2012-01-20 11:13 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Questions on the Run course...

1. Are we running on a road that cars usually drive on? I thought the pics showed some bike/run paths in the Palisades. Maybe that was pics of Riverside park?

2. if we are doing 2 out and backs, I'm wondering why the elevation profiles, including the official maps on the website, aren't symmetrical. We should see exact mirror images of miles 0-3.5 vs. miles 3.5-7, and then repeat that exact profile again over miles 7-14.

(Who me? Nervous about the hills? Nahhhh. )

2012-01-20 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4001586

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
runnerx - 2012-01-20 10:13 AM

Questions on the Run course...

1. Are we running on a road that cars usually drive on? I thought the pics showed some bike/run paths in the Palisades. Maybe that was pics of Riverside park?

2. if we are doing 2 out and backs, I'm wondering why the elevation profiles, including the official maps on the website, aren't symmetrical. We should see exact mirror images of miles 0-3.5 vs. miles 3.5-7, and then repeat that exact profile again over miles 7-14.

(Who me? Nervous about the hills? Nahhhh. )

1 - Everything on the Jersey side, up to getting on the bridge, is on roads that cars usually drive on. Everything on the NY side is on a bike/run path called the Hudson River greenway, except a short stretch (.5 mile or so) on roads to get from the stairs down off the bridge to the greenway path.

2 - These profiles are straight off of someone's Garmin (or similar) doing both laps - since the elevation isn't perfect on those devices, it isn't quite perfect on the profiles. If you plot out your own elevation for out and backs on a run or bike ride, you'd see similar differences.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27