BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-01-04 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3969556

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
lmo123 - 2012-01-03 8:31 PM

When you suggest swim coaching, would taking a swim class at my community college be sufficient or do I need a specific trainer?

I'm glad to see Jacki asked about the DH.  I was wondering the same thing.

Also, I'm not familiar with blog posting, but I notice that many of the posts include text from a previous post.  Are you just copying/pasting sections to which you are referring? 

A swim class is very hit or miss.  A swim coach will look at your skills as an individual.  They will examine your stroke, probably take video,  let you know which drills are going to help you the most.  They will design a program for you to follow in training.   You would then meet back up with them periodically for them to mark progress,  make adjustments and give you more things to work on.       As Quincy says,  swimming is very very technical,   powering your way via brute force is very inefficient, it also likely will create shoulder pain.   

Its all about keeping your body horizontal, and presenting the most hydrodynamic shape through the water.   I'm a BOP swimmer.   But I understand what I'm TRYING to do.  Swimming is one of those "lifetime" to master type things.    I need a swim coach as well.       Visualization helps.   Here is a helpful swim vid.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyR7JYllk9U

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-01-04 11:28 AM

2012-01-04 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3942395

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
Oh yeah BOP = Back of pack     MOP =  Middle of the pack    FOP = Front of the pack    
2012-01-04 9:40 AM

User image

Veteran

OK, so do I have to join USA triathlon, or active.com.  Is it worth it and why? It seems that some races want a $10 or $12 license fee that is for USA triathlon.  I'm not interested in ranking.

Tom

2012-01-04 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3970345

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-04 10:40 AM

OK, so do I have to join USA triathlon, or active.com.  Is it worth it and why? It seems that some races want a $10 or $12 license fee that is for USA triathlon.  I'm not interested in ranking.

Tom

If your going to do 4 or more USAT sanctioned races in 12 months it's worth it as the cost is a wash at ~ 4 races. Also saves you the hassle of filling out the raceday form every time you do race, you just show your card and done. Plus you get a sticker for your car .

2012-01-04 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3970345

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-04 9:40 AM

Tom

Tom,

All USAT events have enforce a license fee if you are not a member of USAT.   I've posted from their site what the benefits are.      Its a heck of a nice sticker!        for me it was a no brainer, I race a lot.  so being a member actually costs less per year than paying the one day license fee.

I believe Quincy had a post that went through some of the "pros"  to joining up.  

BASIC MEMBERSHIP– $45

One-year membership. For $45, members will receive:

• Part of a community of 150,000 athletes and growing
  • Subscription to the quarterly USA Triathlon publication USA Triathlon Magazine
  • Inclusion in the USA Triathlon national ranking system after competing in at least three USAT sanctioned triathlon events or two duathlon, aquathlon or off-road triathlon events
  • Discounts on all USA Triathlon hosted webinars
  • Take part in the Multisport Awards program which allows members to nominate one another for personal achievements and giving back to the community
  • Excess accident insurance while participating in USA Triathlon-sanctioned events
  • Savings at events by not having to pay one-day license fee
  • Access to members-only dashboard with opportunities to access giveaways and special articles
  • Discounts from USA Triathlon sponsors, including Endurance Films, Fuel Belt, Rudy Project, Cycle Pro, Training Peaks, Sweat Vac and more. (You'll have access to the discount codes via your membership dashboard)
  • A $20 voucher through Trisports.com for all new and renewing members (spend $20 and receive next $20 off)
  • Members-only forum
  • Membership card and key fob
  • USA Triathlon sticker
  • The official USA Triathlon Rulebook. Please request your free E-copy by emailing [email protected]
  • Have a voice in the direction and development of multisport by joining USAT Committees and Commissions
  • Eligibility to qualify as a Team USA Triathlon/Duathlon member and compete at ITU World Championship events
  • Eligibility to compete at USAT Short Course Triathlon and Duathlon National Championships
  • A new USA Triathlon Aquabike National Championship, making a total of 12 National Championships available to members across the multisport spectrum.
  • A new online membership portal that will enable personalization of USA Triathlon communication at the individual level, providing more relevant information to members.
  • E-newsletters to keep you informed
  • Use of Regional Training Centers

2012-01-04 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3970381

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sammeg - 2012-01-04 9:53 AM

Tom

If your going to do 4 or more USAT sanctioned races in 12 months it's worth it as the cost is a wash at ~ 4 races. Also saves you the hassle of filling out the raceday form every time you do race, you just show your card and done. Plus you get a sticker for your car

JINX! 

2012-01-04 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3970386

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
oriolepwr - 2012-01-04 10:54 AM

Tom

If your going to do 4 or more USAT sanctioned races in 12 months it's worth it as the cost is a wash at ~ 4 races. Also saves you the hassle of filling out the raceday form every time you do race, you just show your card and done. Plus you get a sticker for your car

JINX! 

Great minds  think alike

2012-01-04 10:56 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Treadmill boredom:

Current issue of Runners world (and yes you are ALL runners and hopefully subscribers)  has an article on beating tready boredom.

Also here is a link to Coach Jenny Hadfield's article about the same thing.

http://askcoachjenny.runnersworld.com/2011/12/how-to-end-treadmill-boredom.html

2012-01-04 11:20 AM
in reply to: #3970209

New user

oriolepwr - 2012-01-04 8:51 AM

When you suggest swim coaching, would taking a swim class at my community college be sufficient or do I need a specific trainer?

Also, I'm not familiar with blog posting, but I notice that many of the posts include text from a previous post.  Are you just copying/pasting sections to which you are referring? 

A swim class is very hit or miss.  A swim coach will look at your skills as an individual.  They will examine your stroke, probably take video,  let you know which drills are going to help you the most.  They will design a program for you to follow in training.   You would then meet back up with them periodically for them to mark progress,  make adjustments and give you more things to work on.       As Quincy says,  swimming is very very technical,   powering your way via brute force is very inefficient, it also likely will create shoulder pain.   

Its all about keeping your body horizontal, and presenting the most hydrodynamic shape through the water.   I'm a BOP swimmer.   But I understand what I'm TRYING to do.  Swimming is one of those "lifetime" to master type things.    I need a swim coach as well.       Visualization helps.   Here is a helpful swim vid.    http://youtu.be/IyR7JYllk9U

Thanksfor the info.  We have a swim team at my community college, so I'll see if the swim coach is teaching any of the swim classes.  If so, I might try the class.  I had a friend take one, and the instructor did much of what you described, so it's worth a look see.  I'm a pretty good swimmer, but I know my technique needs work, especially since I have mild scoliosis that makes my spine somewhat out of alignment and prone to shoulder pain.  However, when I've swam consistently in the past, it's really made a difference, so I'm looking forward to that.

Could you repost the swim video link, too?  I got an error message when I clicked on it.

2012-01-04 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3970648

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
lmo123 - 2012-01-04 11:20 AM

Its all about keeping your body horizontal, and presenting the most hydrodynamic shape through the water.   I'm a BOP swimmer.   But I understand what I'm TRYING to do.  Swimming is one of those "lifetime" to master type things.    I need a swim coach as well.       Visualization helps.   Here is a helpful swim vid.    http://youtu.be/IyR7JYllk9U

Thanksfor the info.  We have a swim team at my community college, so I'll see if the swim coach is teaching any of the swim classes.  If so, I might try the class.  I had a friend take one, and the instructor did much of what you described, so it's worth a look see.  I'm a pretty good swimmer, but I know my technique needs work, especially since I have mild scoliosis that makes my spine somewhat out of alignment and prone to shoulder pain.  However, when I've swam consistently in the past, it's really made a difference, so I'm looking forward to that.

Could you repost the swim video link, too?  I got an error message when I clicked on it.

For sure! Swim teach coach sure would know what he/she is doing!   sounds like it would be convenient too. 

Ok yeah thats weird  the link doesnt work.   hmm  try this one.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyR7JYllk9U    or its home page  http://www.swimsmooth.com  

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-01-04 11:39 AM
2012-01-04 3:57 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Regarding dreadmill and drainer boredom, if you find yourself not wanting to do it because it is mentally difficult, remember that getting through mentally difficult workouts is a kind of training as well. Mental toughness is one of the most important aspects of being a good racer, and the more you can cajole, trick, motivate, yourself during a boring indoor workout, the more mental tricks you will have for yourself on race day when your brain is trying to talk you into slowing down or quitting...

So don't look at it as a bummer, inside workout, something inferior. Just think of it as time to learn how to work your mind along with your body...

Who has some specifics on how they get through indoor workouts?

I'll watch a show, something riveting, like Dexter or Breaking Bad...

Music also works...

I also chunk it...15 minutes at a time instead of thinking of 1.5 hours, etc...

I also change pace from time to time...speed it up for a few minutes, and then recovering...

When all else fails, I count. I seriously think I counted the entire last 6 miles of Racine HIM last year (brutal...I'm still not over it...I need therapy)...

2012-01-04 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3970682

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-01-04 11:37 AM

For sure! Swim teach coach sure would know what he/she is doing!   sounds like it would be convenient too. 

Ok yeah thats weird  the link doesnt work.   hmm  try this one.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyR7JYllk9U    or its home page  http://www.swimsmooth.com  

Regarding swim questions, I am very excited to announce that we will be having a very special guest dropping by in the next day or two to offer some guidance on newbie swimming strategies. Even though you guys have hit on several great topics already (weight loss/good nutrition, bike acquisition, race selection) I am hearing a lot on the swim front, so that's what we'll get help on first!

So stay tuned!Cool

2012-01-04 4:26 PM
in reply to: #3971309

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
quincyf - 2012-01-04 4:01 PM

Regarding swim questions, I am very excited to announce that we will be having a very special guest dropping by in the next day or two to offer some guidance on newbie swimming strategies. Even though you guys have hit on several great topics already (weight loss/good nutrition, bike acquisition, race selection) I am hearing a lot on the swim front, so that's what we'll get help on first!

So stay tuned!Cool

Thats great news Quincy.  Swimming is the part that kicks my butt.  Additionally I have to get over an issue about water.  A long (but funny/scary) story short, I have a bit of a fear of open water due to an issue that happened in CA about 2 years ago. 

Basically, my wife who is terrified of fish wanted to learn how to surf for some reason.  The surfer dude (aka: instructor) took us out and told me not to put the leash on my ankle so the board doesn't hit me if I fall.  Well, skip ahead a while that same day and I fell for the hundreth time it seemed.  This time though, the board hit me square in the ribs and knocked the wind out of me and the board raced to shore without a passenger.  I was about 200+ yards out of shore, alone (the dude and my wife were about 250 yards away), no life guards as the stands were not open and the waves were not 'big' enough for the real surfers to be out.  I hit the panic button big time.  I know I should not have done that, but I could not breathe and I forgot that wetsuits will help stay afloat.  Well, my body and my brain have to fight this feeling EVERYTIME I get into the water, be it a pool or in open water to swim.  

I don't really know what that has to do with anything, but its a decent story and my wife and I laugh about it now.  There are days I think she may have paid off the 'Dude' to try and get ride of me...Undecided 

2012-01-04 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3963595

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies-OPEN
sma777 - 2011-12-31 10:46 AM
ChicagoMan65 - 2011-12-30 4:33 PM

Hey there!!! One more?  I dont take up much room....

NAME:  Mark

STORY:   Former competitive smoker and drinker.  On the wagon almost ten years now.  Statred running in 2002, biking in 04 and tris in 07.  Horrible year last year, had blood clot, did Racine HIM on basically one leg, then surgery and recovery.  Have been easing back into things doing a little P90x and rampng back in S/B/R.  

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two kids

CURRENT TRAINING:  Doing some P90x, trying to get back consistency in running swimming and, soon, biking

2011 RACES:  Racine 70.3

2012 RACES:   So far Indy Half Mary; Racine or Muncie 70.3, maybe Chicago Tri, maybe Chicago Marathon

WEIGHTLOSS:   Gained weight when couldnt workout before or after surgery.  Need to drop about 15, but the P90x is sorta shifting things around.  Would like to be around 155 to 160 come June

WHY I WANT TO BE PART OF THIS GROUP:    Because I know there will be lots of laughs and a good atmosphere to keep pusing people along and motivated without going over the top serious.  Where else can one talk Triathlon, Airplane AND Holy Grail in likely the same sentence.  Probably no where else on the whole internet.

Mark, how are you finding the P90x? I have the DVD set but haven't fired them up yet. Did you start it to lose weight or to just start up again? I'm trying to get a plan of attach attack together to start training so I'm looking for ideas.

Sean

Hey, happy new year, been busy with work stuff so first I saw this. 

I started P90X when I was recovering from surgery and couldnt run or bike.  Docs wanted me to lay off that for like two months or so.  So I started P90x to just do SOMETHING.  So it wasnt for weight loss or anything specific.

Its supposed to be good for that, if you follow the diet plan.  Real restrictive ultra low carb to be gin with.  So you;ll burn a lot of fat.  Theres a lot of success stories out there.

I havent been totally religious with the program, but it does help and I definitely feel stronger.  Its an kicker though.  Be ready for some pain and soreness!

2012-01-04 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran

Thought I'd share this cool link showing some of the 2011 Tri medals from different races - I want a few of these!

http://www..com/2011/12/our_year-end_look_at_some_of_the_triathlon_finisher_medals_from_2011.htm

2012-01-04 5:33 PM
in reply to: #3962499

User image

Trei is actually Todd.  I thought we had to use our login names. 

I am in Black River Falls, WI.  I am thinking of doing the Marathon City ultra mini triathlon, YMCA triathlon in West Salem, My first Tri in Hudson as my first attempts.  Any input on these??

I did register for the Racine HIM in July.  So if I falter can I blame you?Wink

As far as training:  I can run a half marathon without too much trouble (about 2 hours).  I don't run a lot during training because my knees don't do well on daily runs ( found that out training for last years marathon), so I do other aerobic stuff (elliptical etc.) and run on weekends.  I am swimming 1.5 miles twice a week in a pool (it takes me one hour, so I think I can improve there).  I'm a little nervous about the open water issue - mainly how I would handle waves.  I have not done any biking yet.  I have ordered a trainer that should be here next week, so I can start that.  I haven't tried to put two together at all yet. 

I do have one equip question already.  I have a Trek 7600 for a bike.  If I put some racing tires on it and put on some of those nifty handlebars will that work?

A transition day sounds good.  Thanks for the suggestions of Breaking bad for watching during training.  I've heard it is a good show, but haven't see any of it yet.  What season does the veggie tray come in?

2012-01-04 5:33 PM
in reply to: #3970398

User image

Veteran
Sammeg - 2012-01-04 10:59 AM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-04 10:54 AM

Tom

JINX! 

Great minds  think alike

And I thought SPINNING was only for the bicycle  LOL

Thanks for the input.  Cool

2012-01-04 6:16 PM
in reply to: #3971466

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
trei - 2012-01-04  5:33 PM

Trei is actually Todd.  I thought we had to use our login names.

I am in Black River Falls, WI.  I am thinking of doing the Marathon City ultra mini triathlon, YMCA triathlon in West Salem, My first Tri in Hudson as my first attempts.  Any input on these??

I did register for the Racine HIM in July.  So if I falter can I blame you?Wink

As far as training:  I can run a half marathon without too much trouble (about 2 hours).  I don't run a lot during training because my knees don't do well on daily runs ( found that out training for last years marathon), so I do other aerobic stuff (elliptical etc.) and run on weekends.  I am swimming 1.5 miles twice a week in a pool (it takes me one hour, so I think I can improve there).  I'm a little nervous about the open water issue - mainly how I would handle waves.  I have not done any biking yet.  I have ordered a trainer that should be here next week, so I can start that.  I haven't tried to put two together at all yet.

I do have one equip question already.  I have a Trek 7600 for a bike.  If I put some racing tires on it and put on some of those nifty handlebars will that work?

A transition day sounds good.  Thanks for the suggestions of Breaking bad for watching during training.  I've heard it is a good show, but haven't see any of it yet.  What season does the veggie tray come in?

Hi Todd!

!For the most important question "what season does the veggie tray come out"

It comes out in late in season 2 I think.    It might be early season 3.  If you start watching breaking bad, you will get addicted very quickly.   It's  "The Awesome".  (lol I just started using this phrase!!! )

Its Kind of  like triathlon.  Once you do one ya gotta do more.      Super sprint tri.    These are  a blast,  I've done several of this type of distance and  I go at "I want to die" pace.    The shorter the distance, the higher the intensity.       Same sort of thing pace wise as 5k. Versus   A half Mary or whatever.      

You will gain a ton of valuable experience for Racine!        An iron distance race such as Racine is a huge jump from these which I'm sure you know.    I'd  suggest throwing an olympic distance tri.  In there.  It requires a lil less intensity and you will get some more feel for pacing on your journey to racine.  

Trek 7600-  That's a hybrid bike. Right?   As Tom mentioned previously, yes by switching wheels you will get faster and is fine for a super sprint or sprint,  I would not suggest using it for Racine.  Sorry,  I know that sux hearing that.    I have seen people use them even during a 70.3  But they do not look like they are enjoying it.    A roadie with clip on bars  or obviously a tri bike would be much better.        

I rode the Elroy-Sparta trail. Not far from you. Many moons ago!   It's a rails to trails course that features a train tunnel so long you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel.    That ride was a hoot!  Take the hybrid and ride that trail! 

You Swim 1.5 miles at one time right now??  Nice!!!      Open water swimming is different than the pool.     Do you bi-laterally breathe?     A Racine the swim course runs parallel to the beach.    The waves will come at your left.  So if you breathe to your right, they should not affect you much.  Do you have a wet suit?   Lake Michigan is coooold.   I use a sleeveless. But most people seem to think that isn't warm enough for the lake.

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-01-04 7:31 PM
2012-01-04 7:27 PM
in reply to: #3971297

User image

Veteran
quincyf - 2012-01-04 4:57 PM

Regarding dreadmill and drainer boredom, if you find yourself not wanting to do it because it is mentally difficult, remember that getting through mentally difficult workouts is a kind of training as well. Mental toughness is one of the most important aspects of being a good racer, and the more you can cajole, trick, motivate, yourself during a boring indoor workout, the more mental tricks you will have for yourself on race day when your brain is trying to talk you into slowing down or quitting...

So don't look at it as a bummer, inside workout, something inferior. Just think of it as time to learn how to work your mind along with your body...

Music also works...

I also change pace from time to time...speed it up for a few minutes, and then recovering...

When all else fails, I count. I seriously think I counted the entire last 6 miles of Racine HIM last year (brutal...I'm still not over it...I need therapy)...

I also chunk it.  Break it down into bite sized pieces is how I think of it.  You know what else works for me?  It's crazy...but all of us are crazy, right?  Particularly those of us doing these rather extreme sports, compared to the rest of the world, right?  Anyway...my girls (10 and 8) and I are big fans of The Biggest Loser.  When I'm in the middle of a difficult indoor workout, I'll visualize those amazing, determined people who are changing their lives and I think to myself...if those people can do what they do, I can get through this workout.  I'll think about the trainers, Bob or Dolvette or Jillian...screming in my face and making me get through it.  It's quite motivating for me, which is sick and wrong, I know! 

I like your thoughts, Q, about looking at those crappy indoor workouts as part of the training...mentail training.  That's a good thought.  Hopefully it will help get me through the swims that I hate so much! 

Have a good night all!

Jacki

2012-01-04 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3971640

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-04 8:27 PM

Music also works...

I also chunk it.  Break it down into bite sized pieces is how I think of it.  You know what else works for me?  It's crazy...but all of us are crazy, right?  Particularly those of us doing these rather extreme sports, compared to the rest of the world, right?  Anyway...my girls (10 and 8) and I are big fans of The Biggest Loser.  When I'm in the middle of a difficult indoor workout, I'll visualize those amazing, determined people who are changing their lives and I think to myself...if those people can do what they do, I can get through this workout.  I'll think about the trainers, Bob or Dolvette or Jillian...screming in my face and making me get through it.  It's quite motivating for me, which is sick and wrong, I know! 

I like your thoughts, Q, about looking at those crappy indoor workouts as part of the training...mentail training.  That's a good thought.  Hopefully it will help get me through the swims that I hate so much! 

Have a good night all!

Jacki

The best thing for me to kill time on the drainer is sports. It goes so much faster for me if I have a game that I'm invested in. I also find myself doing random intervals(at least w/regards to cadence) as the game intensity changes. I'll go from 80 rpm to 100+ before I even realize it's happening.

2012-01-04 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3971466

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
trei - 2012-01-04 5:33 PM

Trei is actually Todd.  I thought we had to use our login names. 

I am in Black River Falls, WI.  I am thinking of doing the Marathon City ultra mini triathlon, YMCA triathlon in West Salem, My first Tri in Hudson as my first attempts.  Any input on these??

I did register for the Racine HIM in July.  So if I falter can I blame you?Wink

As far as training:  I can run a half marathon without too much trouble (about 2 hours).  I don't run a lot during training because my knees don't do well on daily runs ( found that out training for last years marathon), so I do other aerobic stuff (elliptical etc.) and run on weekends.  I am swimming 1.5 miles twice a week in a pool (it takes me one hour, so I think I can improve there).  I'm a little nervous about the open water issue - mainly how I would handle waves.  I have not done any biking yet.  I have ordered a trainer that should be here next week, so I can start that.  I haven't tried to put two together at all yet. 

I do have one equip question already.  I have a Trek 7600 for a bike.  If I put some racing tires on it and put on some of those nifty handlebars will that work?

A transition day sounds good.  Thanks for the suggestions of Breaking bad for watching during training.  I've heard it is a good show, but haven't see any of it yet.  What season does the veggie tray come in?

Todd,

CONGRATS on registering for Racine...it was my first HIM and it was...ahem...memorable. You won't falter! Plus I'll be up there racing or cheering, it's up to my shoulder...so you'll have to finishWink.

Sounds like you have a good base to start from. I highly, HIGHLY recommend choosing a training plan for a 70.3 and following the plan as closely as you can. You can fake it for a sprint or even an oly, but a 70.3 is nothing to take lightly. SO, start looking around for a plan and let us know what you are going to use.

Since you are new and going all the way up to 70.3 this year, racing a lot beforehand is a good idea IMO. I don't know anything about any of those races, so maybe you can go check race reports on them. Have you read the WI state board? WI has a really strong tri group...Donkai Nation...hilarious fun group and they actually get together quite a bit for training rides and runs for IMOO and Racine, etc.

Racine has a really nice swim...it's a point to point so you go set up transition and then walk down to the swim start and swim back to transition. There are some logistics to figure out there...like do you walk on the beach barefoot or maybe wear some flipflops and stash them, etc.

You could do Racine on the 7600, but I would at least put slicks on it. You would have to figure out if 56 miles on those handlebars would be doable for you. It could definitely be done (there's a dude out there who did Kona on a beach cruiser and a fixie) but I personally would, at the very least, find some way to get on a roadie...

The thing to remember about bikes is that any new piece of gear on a bike requires research prior to purchase and an adjustment time after installation...since we all try to avoid new things on race day, you can end up in a time constraint situation pretty early on...so if you are going to change a bunch of stuff on the 7600, probably want to get going on it now and have ample time to train on it so you're used to it.

You may find that with a bunch of changes, the cost effectiveness of adding stuff on vs. buying a bike that is meant to be raced is diminished and you end up with a bike that isn't really good for anything. 

Just a thought.

2012-01-04 10:41 PM
in reply to: #3971309

User image

Expert
Hammond

So stay tuned!Cool

OOHH I am so excited. Like many of the others the swim is my toughest  of the three sports. And it's what keeps dh ascared to do a tri. I think I may have him finally convinced though. Quincy and her typhoid tri fever must be rubbing off on me.

Shelly

Edited by fitmomma2010 2012-01-05 12:01 AM
2012-01-04 10:47 PM
in reply to: #3971640

User image

Expert
Hammond
DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-04 7:27 PM

Well if it's sick and wrong I'm right there with ya- lol. Last season I'm sorry I just really didn't like Bonnie. All her whining drove me crazy. I can't tell you how many spin classes I got through by thinking don't be Bonnie- no whining, no whining- lol. I too really find that show motivating. I look at those people and think surely if they can do it with all they are facing, I certainly can do it.

Shelly

2012-01-04 11:15 PM
in reply to: #3971358

New user

mjh1975 - 2012-01-04 4:26 PM
quincyf - 2012-01-04 4:01 PM

So stay tuned!Cool

Thats great news Quincy.  Swimming is the part that kicks my butt.  Additionally I have to get over an issue about water.  A long (but funny/scary) story short, I have a bit of a fear of open water due to an issue that happened in CA about 2 years ago. 

Basically, my wife who is terrified of fish wanted to learn how to surf for some reason.  The surfer dude (aka: instructor) took us out and told me not to put the leash on my ankle so the board doesn't hit me if I fall.  Well, skip ahead a while that same day and I fell for the hundreth time it seemed.  This time though, the board hit me square in the ribs and knocked the wind out of me and the board raced to shore without a passenger.  I was about 200+ yards out of shore, alone (the dude and my wife were about 250 yards away), no life guards as the stands were not open and the waves were not 'big' enough for the real surfers to be out.  I hit the panic button big time.  I know I should not have done that, but I could not breathe and I forgot that wetsuits will help stay afloat.  Well, my body and my brain have to fight this feeling EVERYTIME I get into the water, be it a pool or in open water to swim.  

I don't really know what that has to do with anything, but its a decent story and my wife and I laugh about it now.  There are days I think she may have paid off the 'Dude' to try and get ride of me...Undecided 

Hey, Matt (and any others experiencing panic in the water),

I had this weird thing happen in the pool tonight while doing my swim that made me think about your surfboard story and Jacki's story about panicking in the water.    

I went to the pool with the intention of practicing some of the exercises I found on the Swim Smooth site Dave posted earlier today (Here's the link again: http://www.swimsmooth.com/  They have a great video (Mr. Swim) that shows exactly what your stroke should look like, and fantastic information about how to improve your swim by exhaling. Thanks for sending the link, Dave!!)
I got in the pool and did this sinking exercise they suggest (exhale and sink to the bottom of the pool); no problem.  Then, I decided to use a kickboard and just do some breathing so I could focus on the exhale; again, no problem.  So, I start to do the crawl with the focus on exhaling.  Suddenly, I'm visualizing what this must be like in open water with all these other swimmers around, and I start panicking. . . ALL BY MYSELF IN 4 FEET OF WATER!!  The mere thought of being in that situation was enough for me to panic.  I can totally understand why some of you panicked in the ACTUAL situation!  I stopped swimming, and just stood and breathed for a moment to calm myself down after which I was able to resume, but it did freak me out!  I've NEVER had this happen before!! I was actually able to finish my swim and saw much improvement in my exhaling, breathing, and stroke if I really slowed down, so that was great.  But the panicking really took me for a loop.

As I drove home, I thought about your surfboard story.  Suddenly, I remembered that when \I was tubing with friends a few years ago, and the captain of the boat was trying desperately to flip me out of the tube, but to no avail (I'm stubborn and have pretty good upper body strength ).  He finally got the boat in a donut and drove the tube right into the wake with such force that when I flipped out, hitting the water was like hitting a brick wall.  After that, I was under water completely disoriented and panicking because I didn't know which way was up.  More importantly, under this kind of stress, I'm absolutely sure I was holding my breath. 

So, Matt and Jacki, I can totally relate to what you've described as panic.  I'm not sure if overcoming the panic is more psychological or physical, but I have to say that practicing the exhaling seemed to help calm me down, especially because I could actually inhale more smoothly (now if I can just learn not swallow water every now and then!).  I also tried to concentrate on the rhythm of the movement.  I could also see improvement, but it took a lot of concentration. 

Maybe our guest swim strategiest will suggest some skills so we can swim successfully!!

2012-01-05 1:30 AM

Rochester

Hey everyone, still waiting on my bike, it left Jacksonville Fl 1/4 at 0904, no arrival anywhere else right now. I am so hoping it is here Friday, but they say expect it Monday. That gives me the weekend to clean out the garage of some of the totes on the floor. Of course thankfully my GF is understanding and will not want to park in there YET. That gives me a good spot to put it all together.

Exercising...well, I had ankle surgery for a suspected septic joint a couple of weeks ago, it wasn't septic so it is a little frustrating not knowing what was going on with it, so I am only able to walk for now. Been doing a 5k walking for now every other day. I am cleared to swim starting this weekend, of course I do not swim well so this will be fun. Going to look into some lessons at the Y that I belong too. Cannot run for 6 LONG weeks. It is funny, last year at this time I NEVER would of said I missed running. I get jealous right now of all the runners that I drive by, and look forward to me running again.

Now eating...Has anyone read the book Wheat Belly? If not check it out, some good info in there. Ever since the day I was diagnosed w/ Type 2 Diabetes, have not had a candy bar, ice cream, occasionly will have some type of bake good but not too often. I have cut out wheat pretty much completely from my diet, except for my cheat meals which I do 2 cheat meals a week. Have not had my sugar spike at all while on this, except if I do have something wheat wise as a cheat meal. I do miss my bake goods like cake. That is a downfall for me because I love the frosting.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44