BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-12-23 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3951466

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED
jpbis26 - 2011-12-23 11:14 AM

Glad I'm not the only one who has experienced some burnout. It's definately not a fun place to be, and hopefully I can train smarter and find ways to avoid it/ minimize it in the future. I would see threads where people could not train due to injury and get mad at myself because I was totally capable but "just didn't feel like it."

I got out last night and ran 2.5 miles for the first time in a long time. Believe me, there were walking breaks but it actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Some of you have mentioned varying your workouts in the off season (gym classes, strength training, ect). What else has everyone done to avoid burnout?

I am really enjoying spin classes and yoga right now! I know some people say that spin classes are a poor subsitute for the bike but it kicks my butt and I think my legs and definately my cardiovascular system are stronger for it.

2011-12-23 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3951013

User image

kenj - 2011-12-23 6:27 AM

Good morning and TGIF!!

What is everyone doing this holiday weekend?  Traveling?  Training? Both? Neither?

I dont go far, and with 3 days it is even easier this year.  Run this morning, if I can get motivated to head to the treadmill. If work goes smooth and I can sneak out I will hit the pool on the way home.  Some quality time with my bike and trainer tomorrow and a medium run Sunday, outside with any luck!

I also need to get you guys a chart to easily link each other and add some of you to my friends list. 

The link would be great,took this morning off,but gonna try and hit the pool in the morning,with a run at the Dam(close to home) on Sunday.Also trying to get a little deer hunting in before season goes out next weekend.Ready to get on a regular schedule,this is my down fall...consistancy,but I'm trying with help of ya'll I believe I can pull through.Have a special and rememberable Merry Christmas.

2011-12-23 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3951367

User image

Expert
kenj - 2011-12-23 10:11 AM

gator22 - 2011-12-23 11:03 AM I know that is right, but I am just so far out of shape it seems very far away for me right now. I can control my HR much better on the bike and my swim endurance always returns quickly (although I am slow there too).  Anybody looking for a change of pace, check out the Crossfit main site workout today. I just did it after my bike and I won't be able to lift my arms above my head for a few days!

Do you have a gym you train at or are you doing Crossfit on your own through the web?  Just curious.

I havent done Crossfit, but I do enjoy strength training this time of year.  We have a fitness room here at work and we offer some bootcamp type classes several times a week.  My wife likes them so attending them with her in the off season is nice.  I stay out of the debates on the main forums about the pros and cons of strength training for triathletes, but I think it helps.  Especially those of us who got a late start to this. 

What do the rest of you think about strength training?

I don't belong to a Crossfit affiliate. I go through the web and my friend owns one near Lake Placid called Adirondack Crossfit or 518.  So I use him for advice. Most gyms frown on dropping heavy weights on the ground. I have been a lifter for a long time and I reallyu love it. The last time I did tri stuff I sort of stopped lifting and I will not do that this time. I will probably always be a clyde and I need a little strength at work   I usually scale the workouts so that I can do them in the company gym, my house, or at the Y around the S/B/R.

2011-12-23 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3951575

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC

robingray_260 - 2011-12-23 1:16 PM

I am really enjoying spin classes and yoga right now! I know some people say that spin classes are a poor subsitute for the bike but it kicks my butt and I think my legs and definately my cardiovascular system are stronger for it.

x2.

Yeah, not the same, but as hard as I work it's gotta be doing something for me, right? I have my bike up on a trainer at home, too, but those spin classes kick my butt - I figure the cardio boost is good in and of itself, and my favorite instructor directs a lot of focus to isolating specific muscle groups at various points, too, so I feel that I'm building strength in unique ways as well.

2011-12-23 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3943039

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
My personal opininion on spin class is that this time of year, it beats training alone in the basement.  Yeh, the fit is different and its a different workout then steady bike riding, but the legs are still going around in circles.  As long as you get some trainer time once in a while and get on the race bike plenty early before racing, spinning is a good alternative. 
2011-12-23 2:27 PM

User image

Expert
Canada

I went to Spin today *raises hand*

Hopefully tomorrow, as well, to get ready for Turkey DayInnocent

2011-12-23 3:05 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
I did 20 miles this morning. Well i should say i ran 18, hobbled 1.3, and plodded .7 . I got the worst cramps ever in my calf .I could barely even walk. I thought i was pretty well hydrated and had 3 gels but the 72 degree temp might have had something to do with it. Compression socks did nothing to help( didnt think they would, i was just hoping). I am now in the car for 4 hours on the way to my sister's for the holidays. I might not be able to walk by the time we get there! I hope to get a 4-5 miler in with my hubby on x mas day since there will be someone around to watch the baby. Once this marathon is over i cant wait to getback to the pool and the bike. Both things i should be doing but havent found the time energy or money for the pool membership yet. <br>I havent picked a HIM training program yet i plan to use one from BT but havent looked yet. Any imput would be nice!
2011-12-23 4:24 PM
in reply to: #3951642

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
MarlaS - 2011-12-23 1:08 PM

robingray_260 - 2011-12-23 1:16 PM

x2.

Yeah, not the same, but as hard as I work it's gotta be doing something for me, right? I have my bike up on a trainer at home, too, but those spin classes kick my butt - I figure the cardio boost is good in and of itself, and my favorite instructor directs a lot of focus to isolating specific muscle groups at various points, too, so I feel that I'm building strength in unique ways as well.

Who says spin classes are a "poor substitute."  Probably someone who hasn't tried them.  I do 75% of my riding on a Computrainer even when the weather is good to ride outdoors.  Better more efficient use of time.

I'm using the CT, running outdoors (unseasonably warm here in Central Illinois), using the treadmill, and will be getting back in the pool next week or the week after that.  I'm going to join the local cyclo cross folks a few times.  I do yoga and strength exercises and weights now during the winter.

What is the "burn-out" you speak of?     

2011-12-23 5:47 PM
in reply to: #3951367

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA

kenj - 2011-12-23 8:11 AM

I stay out of the debates on the main forums about the pros and cons of strength training for triathletes, but I think it helps.  Especially those of us who got a late start to this. 

What do the rest of you think about strength training?

Ken, I agree with you -- I'm all for strength training. I also try to avoid those debates on the forums... :-o

I think strength training is purely an individual thing. Either you like it and you'll do it, or you don't and you won't. I've always enjoyed it -- it's never been a chore or a hassle. I can't swear to the correlation, but I still have yet to sustain an injury while running or training for tri's. For me, that's good enough. The only constraint has been time. However, since I enjoy the gym, I can usually find some spare minutes. There are all sort of ways to make it fun, or at least tolerable,  -- music, sports on the radio, workout partners, reading tri magazines or books between sets...

2011-12-23 7:18 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
My workout plans were again thwarted today - this time due to weather.  I did get over an hour of snow shoveling in to clear the 12.6 inches of snow received overnight - does that count?
2011-12-23 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3951356

User image

Master
Sin City

kenj- 2011-12-23 8:06 AM
shake-n-bake - 2011-12-22 7:50 PM

What have others done to help you improve your run base/speed??

In my opinion, for those of you that struggle with the run, this is a very good approach to improving the run.  The off season is a great time of year to deal with the run weakness too.  Before building distance per workout, build frequency.  5 or 6 days a week is a good target for most of us.  A good way to do it if you can is to just hop of the bike and run a mile or 2 on the days you bike.  Then run your longer training runs on the stand alone run days.  If you are starting from scratch, start 3 short runs a week, then add another every other week.  Tim has worked to get up to the 5 and 7.5 mile distance, but start a lot shorter. 

The other advice I would give is to make sure you have good running shoes, preferbly fitted by a store that can video tape your stride and put you in the appropriate shoe. 

Thanks for the advice on my post!

This brought up another good advice, but I do have a question.

How do I fit that in with the Olympic plan that I will follow somewhat? Add a couple easy 1-2 mi runs (by adding one run extra a week every two weeks until I have 4 or 5 runs a week, including long runs).   I understand that there will be 2-a-days, and that's okay because it's only 1 to 2 mile, nothing more, except the last couple weeks I'll do a couple of 2 to 3 mile runs before the Oly/Sprint tris.  Will this work? Again, I'm not approaching the Oly/Sprint races as A races.

I figure if I do that, it will at least help a little with endurance. This will only be for a couple months, then after I finish the Oly/Sprint tri's, I can get into the HIM plan, and scale back the frequency of the runs and in theory I should have much better running base/endurance than I have in the past.

Running is my weakest sport, and I think that's where I would like to see the biggest improvements by December 2012.

FWIW - I have never gotten injured. Sure, I've gotten muscle soreness, and cramping (hydration issue), but that's it. I should be really grateful for that. I know so many people that have gotten injured or some nagging issues that creep up. 

2011-12-23 10:23 PM
in reply to: #3951994

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC

robingray_260 - 2011-12-23 8:18 PM My workout plans were again thwarted today - this time due to weather.  I did get over an hour of snow shoveling in to clear the 12.6 inches of snow received overnight - does that count?

heck yeah - some kind of strength / endurance thing.That's an awful lot of white stuff. Good luck with that!

2011-12-23 11:23 PM
in reply to: #3951994

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

robingray_260 - 2011-12-23 7:18 PM My workout plans were again thwarted today - this time due to weather.  I did get over an hour of snow shoveling in to clear the 12.6 inches of snow received overnight - does that count?

I have hear that snow shoveling burns a ton of calories. And, going along with what Marla said, I'm sure it's great strength training as well. Good job staying positive in the cold, dark weather.

I felt great after my run yesterday, but it caught up to me today. My upper legs are sore. From a 2.5 mile jog! Yikes, looks like I'm just as out of shape as I thought. But I plan to get out there tomorrow morning for another short easy run. One workout at a time at a time.

2011-12-24 4:05 AM

User image

As for stregth training I'll be doing P90x in the mornings while my S/B/R training in the afternoon.I have found that the Yoga part does help with my flexability(especially my lower back).I need to sit down on this darn computer and print out the 90 days workout with my S/B/R workouts.Seems I'm a pretty good smooth talker..I can talk myself outta a workout in a minute or change it up.I was thinking about getting a nice mtn. bike from my lbs,but these holidays seem to have put a hole in my pocket that just doesn't seem be close...lol

If I got one from say Dick's sporting goods I could save around 300 bucks,I know the quality wouldn't be there,but incase I do get attacked by the "BUG"then I wouldn't have too much into it(more to be able to get a nice tri bike....just sayin'

2011-12-24 5:07 AM
in reply to: #3952056

User image

Expert
Canada
CyborgQueen - 2011-12-23 10:40 PM

Running is my weakest sport, and I think that's where I would like to see the biggest improvements by December 2012.

FWIW - I have never gotten injured. Sure, I've gotten muscle soreness, and cramping (hydration issue), but that's it. I should be really grateful for that. I know so many people that have gotten injured or some nagging issues that creep up. 

This is where I can enter....I was injured most of last year!  It's easy to do, honest!  Easy to do & difficult to get back!

2011-12-24 5:19 AM

User image

Expert
Canada

My Bio...

I was in the Spring/Summer group, but fell off the wagon & am back again.

Here is my story...

NAME: GoGoGo/ Richard

STORY: Typical almost 46 year old male. Used to be athletic. School, work, kids, no activity for 20 years, yada yada, up to 250 lbs! 
 4 years starting going to gym, then running, then cycling, them du's. Swimming is my nemesis

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 kids, 9 & 11, 9 month old Great Dane

CURRENT TRAINING: Rehab!! I am a mess. Listing some my injuries to lower half.
 Previous Anterior cruciate ligament tear, Previous ankle fracture with steel plates, previous piriformis syndrome.  
My running mechanics are undoubtably altered from these encounters. Last year, I started with a very sore (R) knee, eventually settled this with NSAIDS, rest, etc.  
Then the other knee. Now nagging hamstring for 6 months & it continues. Have been doing spin class recently. Trying to SLOWLY build my run again.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: No plans, until See If I can emerge with healthy hamstring.  
Actually a manageable hamstring should be OK too

2011 RACES: Nothing! Have run numerous running races, from 5k-Half Mary & would typically run 6-10 per year.
 Usually do cycling TT's during summer, with Du's added in

WEIGHTLOSS: I could easily lose another 20 lbs to get to race weight. I was there 2 years ago, but let it inch up again.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I have some running & cycling experience might have something to add.

Not so different from many of you.

Look forward to a good Winter of Rehab & base building!
I WILL race again!!!!!

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-12-24 5:22 AM

2011-12-24 5:27 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Good morning! Is this training group still open? If so I would love to jump in. 
2011-12-24 6:10 AM
in reply to: #3952241

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

abake - 2011-12-24 6:27 AM Good morning! Is this training group still open? If so I would love to jump in. 

Hi Ann! You can join if you want! Post a bio when you get a chance.

2011-12-24 6:19 AM
in reply to: #3952056

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CyborgQueen - 2011-12-23 9:40 PM

kenj- 2011-12-23 8:06 AM
shake-n-bake - 2011-12-22 7:50 PM

What have others done to help you improve your run base/speed??

In my opinion, for those of you that struggle with the run, this is a very good approach to improving the run.  The off season is a great time of year to deal with the run weakness too.  Before building distance per workout, build frequency.  5 or 6 days a week is a good target for most of us.  A good way to do it if you can is to just hop of the bike and run a mile or 2 on the days you bike.  Then run your longer training runs on the stand alone run days.  If you are starting from scratch, start 3 short runs a week, then add another every other week.  Tim has worked to get up to the 5 and 7.5 mile distance, but start a lot shorter. 

The other advice I would give is to make sure you have good running shoes, preferbly fitted by a store that can video tape your stride and put you in the appropriate shoe. 

This brought up another good advice, but I do have a question.

How do I fit that in with the Olympic plan that I will follow somewhat? Add a couple easy 1-2 mi runs (by adding one run extra a week every two weeks until I have 4 or 5 runs a week, including long runs).   I understand that there will be 2-a-days, and that's okay because it's only 1 to 2 mile, nothing more, except the last couple weeks I'll do a couple of 2 to 3 mile runs before the Oly/Sprint tris.  Will this work? Again, I'm not approaching the Oly/Sprint races as A races.

I figure if I do that, it will at least help a little with endurance. This will only be for a couple months, then after I finish the Oly/Sprint tri's, I can get into the HIM plan, and scale back the frequency of the runs and in theory I should have much better running base/endurance than I have in the past.

I find that the easiest way to get more run frequency in and still maintain a balance with the bike and swim is to run short off the bike.  Many plans have a balanced 3 times a week for each discipline, run off the bike twice and now you have 5 runs in and you really only need to run 2 - 3 miles for an oly plan.  The other nice thing about this, since you are already dressed and sweaty is it eliminates a couple of work out outfits that need to be washed and a couple of showers a week.

The other way I get extra running, and I will admit that you need to be an early bird for this one.  I like to swim in the morning, both at the Y in the winter and the lake in the summer.  It is pretty easy to run in the dark from both locations since there are well lit side walks.  So I will just plan on swimming at 6 and get there at 5 and run some. 

2011-12-24 6:23 AM
in reply to: #3952237

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
GoGoGo - 2011-12-24 6:19 AM

My Bio...

I was in the Spring/Summer group, but fell off the wagon & am back again.

Here is my story...

NAME: GoGoGo/ Richard

STORY: Typical almost 46 year old male. Used to be athletic. School, work, kids, no activity for 20 years, yada yada, up to 250 lbs! 
 4 years starting going to gym, then running, then cycling, them du's. Swimming is my nemesis

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 kids, 9 & 11, 9 month old Great Dane

CURRENT TRAINING: Rehab!! I am a mess. Listing some my injuries to lower half.
 Previous Anterior cruciate ligament tear, Previous ankle fracture with steel plates, previous piriformis syndrome.  
My running mechanics are undoubtably altered from these encounters. Last year, I started with a very sore (R) knee, eventually settled this with NSAIDS, rest, etc.  
Then the other knee. Now nagging hamstring for 6 months & it continues. Have been doing spin class recently. Trying to SLOWLY build my run again.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: No plans, until See If I can emerge with healthy hamstring.  
Actually a manageable hamstring should be OK too

2011 RACES: Nothing! Have run numerous running races, from 5k-Half Mary & would typically run 6-10 per year.
 Usually do cycling TT's during summer, with Du's added in

WEIGHTLOSS: I could easily lose another 20 lbs to get to race weight. I was there 2 years ago, but let it inch up again.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I have some running & cycling experience might have something to add.

Not so different from many of you.

Look forward to a good Winter of Rehab & base building!
I WILL race again!!!!!

Thanks for posting Richard!  We will get past these injuries and get a race on your schedule in 2012!

2011-12-24 6:24 AM
in reply to: #3952180

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
jpbis26 - 2011-12-24 12:23 AM

robingray_260 - 2011-12-23 7:18 PM My workout plans were again thwarted today - this time due to weather.  I did get over an hour of snow shoveling in to clear the 12.6 inches of snow received overnight - does that count?

I have hear that snow shoveling burns a ton of calories. And, going along with what Marla said, I'm sure it's great strength training as well. Good job staying positive in the cold, dark weather.

I felt great after my run yesterday, but it caught up to me today. My upper legs are sore. From a 2.5 mile jog! Yikes, looks like I'm just as out of shape as I thought. But I plan to get out there tomorrow morning for another short easy run. One workout at a time at a time.

Be sure to stretch out good after the run.  Gentle stretching or yoga helps with the achiness!

You may be right about the snow shoveling burning calories, but I would rather not find out! Cool

2011-12-24 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3952224

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Tallyho - 2011-12-24 5:05 AM

As for stregth training I'll be doing P90x in the mornings while my S/B/R training in the afternoon.I have found that the Yoga part does help with my flexability(especially my lower back).I need to sit down on this darn computer and print out the 90 days workout with my S/B/R workouts.Seems I'm a pretty good smooth talker..I can talk myself outta a workout in a minute or change it up.I was thinking about getting a nice mtn. bike from my lbs,but these holidays seem to have put a hole in my pocket that just doesn't seem be close...lol

If I got one from say Dick's sporting goods I could save around 300 bucks,I know the quality wouldn't be there,but incase I do get attacked by the "BUG"then I wouldn't have too much into it(more to be able to get a nice tri bike....just sayin'

How do you like the p90X?  I have the insanity program, but have heard good things about P90X.  My biggest challenge with these plans is following them to the letter and getting the full benefit and still fitting in S/B/R.  But, I spent last winter in Southern California on a work project and with the weather they have out there, going outside for a bike or a run was much more inviting than being inside.  I am going to try and add the insanity plan after the first of the year and just get up 30 minutes or so earlier.  We'll see.

As far a the bike idea, it may be the right way to go.   The quality of the bike may not be as good, but the difference will be minimal and you are saving yourself for later on. 

2011-12-24 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3951450

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
kenj - 2011-12-23 10:01 AM
Kath2163 - 2011-12-23 11:11 AM

Good Morning All!

SOOO sorry it has taken me this long to post my bio. This week got ahead of me but now I have four days off and can focus on the fun stuff.  I have read through most of the thread and it is an exciting group.  Ice, I used to use a  body bugg. I always wondered how accurate it was. Not sure why I stopped using it. 

OK, about me.

Name: Kathleen

Story: I have just completed my fourth year of doing triathlons. The original plan was to do one sprint but I cought the tri bug and here I am.  Every year I took on a new distance and I recently completed my first Ironman in Arizona.  NEVER, EVER would I have ever thought I would do an Ironman but then again the thought of an Olympic distance triathlon used to freak me out Tongue out.

I am a MOP racer except in Boulder where I end up in the back of the pack (BOP).  My strength is the bike and my true weakness is the run. 

For the first time, I have no  races planned for next year except for a half marathon in April. Historically I have done a lot of races each year but I don't want to do that this year. I think I have gotten burnt out in the past for racing to much (for me).  I have spoken (e-mailed) with both Iceman and Ken about doing another Ironman next year and will most likely sign up for IMFL. I would like to do IM Wisconsin but I think I need another year before I tackle that course.  What I am thinking is that I could do a race or two before IMFL but that is about it. I don't have a training plan at this point and after another very disapoininting experience with coaches, I have decided to do it on my own. (so any training plan ideas would be very welcome).

Family Status: My fiancee and I live together with our one year old Cocker Spainel.

Current training: For the first time in over a year I don't have a training plan to follow and I must say that I am enjoying the break. I have kept up with the running and biking but need to get into the pool at least once or twice a week. I have taken a few classes at the gym that I used to take pre triathlon and am enjoying a change of pace. It is very possible that I haven't allowed myself enough rest time after Arizona but like others in the group, weight has been an issue with me and lack of exercise is a recipee for disaster. Also working out is my therapy. I always feel much better after I workout.

Weight loss goals: I could probably stand to lose five lbs or so. I had a weight problem my entire life and stopped getting on the scale a long time ago as it made me crazy. I would like to drop a little weight to see if that helps with my run. At least I think that everytime I am out there running along and watching everyone make it look so easy.

What would make me a good mentee: I very much enjoy the supportive nature of the mentor groups and the mix of people who are in them. It is exciting to me to help people who are just starting out and at the same time gain a wealth of knowledge from those who have much more experience then I. As already demonstrated in this group, everyone comes with knowledge that can be shared by the others.

Good to hear from you Kathleen!  Merry Christmas!  Sounds like you guys got a little snow yesterday?

Yes, we got close to a foot of snow (or it sure feels that way!). It was nice to be able to work from home on Thursday and the trainer came in very handy that day!  I only wish I had a treadmill, then I would be all set and wouldn't have an excuse to miss a run workout.  My friend and I made it to the pool yesterday. It was the first time I have swam since IMAZ. The pool has a ton of windows and it was nice to have the sun shining down on me while seeing all the snow outside. Warms up the water.

Merry Christmas Eve everyone!

2011-12-24 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3952180

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
jpbis26 - 2011-12-23 10:23 PM

A great way to look at it. It can get overwhelming if you let it.

2011-12-24 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3951774

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Roadtoad22 - 2011-12-23 4:05 PM I did 20 miles this morning. Well i should say i ran 18, hobbled 1.3, and plodded .7 . I got the worst cramps ever in my calf .I could barely even walk. I thought i was pretty well hydrated and had 3 gels but the 72 degree temp might have had something to do with it. Compression socks did nothing to help( didnt think they would, i was just hoping). I am now in the car for 4 hours on the way to my sister's for the holidays. I might not be able to walk by the time we get there! I hope to get a 4-5 miler in with my hubby on x mas day since there will be someone around to watch the baby. Once this marathon is over i cant wait to getback to the pool and the bike. Both things i should be doing but havent found the time energy or money for the pool membership yet.
I havent picked a HIM training program yet i plan to use one from BT but havent looked yet. Any imput would be nice!

That was quite a run you had yesterday!  Very impressive! How are you feeling after that and the 4 hour ride?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72