BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2012-12-27 7:50 PM
in reply to: #4550702

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED
slornow - 2012-12-27 7:23 PM

Everything in moderation.

Freaky. My thoughts exactly.

2012-12-27 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4549159

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
Blanda - 2012-12-26 9:57 PM

Family: Married to an awesome guy and we have 3 children. Oldest girl is 21 and attending University of North Florida. My boy is 11, and the littlest girl is 6. I'm proud to say that I have finally inspired my husband to give distance running a go. He's currently training for his first full marathon and absolutely loving every minute of it. Now he understands the long hours, the tired, and the fun of logging in your miles and watching your progress!

Blanda (we were in the last group together). I had to reply about your daughter at UNF. I am a UNF alumni, and still live in Jacksonville. It is a great school!

2012-12-27 9:09 PM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
Hey Randy? Can I join the group by chance?
2012-12-27 9:17 PM
in reply to: #4550845

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey Nick-sure. Post an updated bio when you can. Glad to have you with us again.

Randy

2012-12-27 9:19 PM
in reply to: #4550702

Everything in moderation. As mentioned before, I'm going to try to make some headway on my after dinner snacking problem. But, for now I will enjoy a few more pieces of candy and at least one more glass of red wine.

Short bike tonight...only to find that batteries in powertap hub were dead. At least it happened when I was just getting on the bike to spin.

Randy

As far as the food amount is concerned, I will take that to heart and use it as my food motto.

You were talking about your bike tonight, Randy. I have seen a road bike that is for sale brand new at $300. I've seen Cannondales, and the actual bikes Bradley Wiggins used go for $3000+ It hasn't got tri handles, but would you say it's okay for a beginner? I mean, surely you don't all start triatlons with expensive bikes, do you?

2012-12-27 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4550859

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
saint100 - 2012-12-27 10:19 PM

Everything in moderation. As mentioned before, I'm going to try to make some headway on my after dinner snacking problem. But, for now I will enjoy a few more pieces of candy and at least one more glass of red wine.

Short bike tonight...only to find that batteries in powertap hub were dead. At least it happened when I was just getting on the bike to spin.

Randy

As far as the food amount is concerned, I will take that to heart and use it as my food motto.

You were talking about your bike tonight, Randy. I have seen a road bike that is for sale brand new at $300. I've seen Cannondales, and the actual bikes Bradley Wiggins used go for $3000+ It hasn't got tri handles, but would you say it's okay for a beginner? I mean, surely you don't all start triatlons with expensive bikes, do you?

I'm like others. I eat what I want but try not to go too crazy. Eat when I am hungry. If I crave a candy bar, I eat one, but not every day. Lots of fruits and vegetables. Moderate amount of lean protein. Carbs when I want them.

You definitely don't need to spend anywhere near to $3,000 on a bike when you are starting out. I would be a little concerned that a $300 bike might be one that you would outgrow pretty quickly. I spent $700 on my first bike and used it for two years before I upgraded. With that being said, when/if you upgrade from a $300 bike (everybody gets the bug and wants a new, better bike eventually) you won't be out nearly as much as if you had spent more money. I would talk to your local bike shop about what you are interested in doing with the bike and they should be able to help you.

2012-12-27 10:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Paul - Here is what I did when I started a season and a half ago ... 

I bought this bike from Walmart for $249 and bought a $49 aero bar and added clip in pedals. In one of the sprint triathlons I took it up to 20 mph average which I think was the ceiling for me on that bike ... here is a picture. 

Here is what I bought a week ago ... for $1299 ... and I know my next bike is probably double of that ... :-)

So I think it is possible to use a cheap bike for some time. The reason I didn't invest in a more expensive bike was that I wanted to make sure that Triathlons are something I want to do longterm. 

2012-12-27 10:35 PM
in reply to: #4550079

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
pvfd304 - 2012-12-27 1:33 PM
juneapple - 2012-12-27 12:22 PM

Hi All,

Just dropping by to wish my old crew a Happy Holidays / New Year!  For those of you who are new to the group, you have some fabulous mentor leaders (and, I'll just add that there a several in the group who might as well be mentors as well b/c they are so knowledgeable).  Best wishes for a fabulous 2013 season and keep in touch!  (I'll be lurking for sure!)

Stu

Hey Stu, you racing in the Angel's Race this year? Maybe we can find each other this time. Brian

Hey Brian,

I hope/plan to.  That's a great race to start my season and only an hour away.  Let's plan on it.  I can't remember exactly where you live, but once the weather is good, I bike up on Skyline Drive some.  PM me if you're interested in riding up there some time.  It's a great workout!

Stu

2012-12-27 10:41 PM
in reply to: #4550859

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

As far as nutrition goes, I changed to a completely plant based diet back in May and I have done great with it so far. I feel more energized and also feel that if I do overeat, my stomach will be full of low calorie veggies/fruit instead of higher calorie meat etc...

For bike advice, I do think most should start out with a low or moderately priced bike. If you find that triathlons are not for you, then you won't be out too much money. If you love it, then you can start researching and saving for a bike that you want to be competitive with. I started with a road bike ($1100) and found that I really loved triathlon. I kind of wish I bought a cheaper bike since I pretty much decided after my first race that this was going to be something long term for me and that I really wanted a tri bike

2012-12-28 12:59 AM

User image

New user
I did it! I just registered for my first triathlon!Wild Rose Women's Triathlon in June in Tennessee.I am very excited as well as apprehensive! Diving in.........Mary
2012-12-28 5:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

I spent around $800 on my bike and have had it since 2008. It's a roadie. I can't afford an upgrade and really don"t need one as I've only done a couple of sprints. Also, I love my bike and would be sad to replace it (I'm probably too attached).

Nutrition-wise, I transitioned to vegetarian over the past year (and by transitioning I mean I had a couple of cheeseburger on vacation this summer). I do eat eggs and a little cheese but I make sure the cheese is vegetarian. I was on a mission this summer to add more vegetables to my diet and now I eat lots. I am also experimenting with new, healthy recipes. It must be doing something right because My hair is growing really fast and in fact I have new hair growing in. I do count calories and want to lose about 30 more lbs (I've lost around 20) but have made a few errors here and there and have been plateaued since July. Currently, I'm struggling not to gain weight but I'm hoping my metabolism will improve now that the days are getting longer.

Sorry-that's a long post. Nutrition is something I spend a lot of time on.

2012-12-28 6:02 AM

User image

Master
Good Morning! What are you doing today training wise? Swim and a bike on my schedule for today.
I'm on the way to the pool. Hoping the rain will stop so I can run outside later today. Had to use the treadmill yesterday which is not my favorite thing to do.
2012-12-28 6:21 AM
in reply to: #4551093

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Chunga - 2012-12-28 1:59 AM

I did it! I just registered for my first triathlon!Wild Rose Women's Triathlon in June in Tennessee.I am very excited as well as apprehensive! Diving in.........Mary

Congratulations. There is nothing like having a race on your schedule to motivate you to train. Being apprehensive is to be expected but if you do the prep work it shoul go great.

This is a busy weekend for me. I am working a 24 hour shift today, have 24 hours off tomorrow, and then another 24 hours straight at work on Sunday. I am basically stuck in the hospital for those times although not working continuously (as you can see because I am posting on BT).

I swam this morning at 5 AM because that is the only time it can happen with this schedule. If things are slow I have been know to run laps around the parking lot at the hospital. I am supposed to do five miles running today and hope it will happen. I figure the parking lot is not any further away than the cafeteria. I always leave a pair of scrubs by the door where I can grab them on the way in if called for an emergency. A couple years ago that happened and I don't know if anyone noticed that I was sweating like crazy for the first few minutes of the case..... Maybe they all thought I was nervous I am supposed to run 10 miles on Sunday and I may do the 4 am wakeup and just get it out of the way before work. I suppose it all depends on how much sleep I get tonight.
2012-12-28 6:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Randy,

Thanks for allowing me to join the group. I really wanted to be a mentor this time around, but I don't think it is feasible at this time. I figured what is the next best thing...be in a group with Randy so that he can teach me his ways of being fast off the bike.

I will post a full bio later today to properly introduce myself.

2012-12-28 7:44 AM
in reply to: #4551093

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Chunga - 2012-12-28 1:59 AM I did it! I just registered for my first triathlon!Wild Rose Women's Triathlon in June in Tennessee.I am very excited as well as apprehensive! Diving in.........Mary

Congratulations! I couldn't train without two things: a race to train for, and a training plan. Can't wait to read your race report after you get done!

2012-12-28 7:56 AM
in reply to: #4551235

User image

Veteran
Denton
WoodrowCall - 2012-12-28 7:44 AM

Chunga - 2012-12-28 1:59 AM I did it! I just registered for my first triathlon!Wild Rose Women's Triathlon in June in Tennessee.I am very excited as well as apprehensive! Diving in.........Mary

Congratulations! I couldn't train without two things: a race to train for, and a training plan. Can't wait to read your race report after you get done!

Good Morning all,

Today is day 2 of my plant-powered training approach. Testing it out for a month to see how my body feels without meat. 

Mary - Congratulations ... now get ready to get hooked and majorly addicted once you complete that first race. 

Jamie - I am the same way ... I need to be signed up for a race and have a training plan in order to pull through with the training. 

Rene - The only thing on the plan for me today is some swim assessment for my coach followed by an easy swim workout. Tonight I am getting some adjustments done on my bike and other than that it will be a nice and easy day. 

2012-12-28 8:21 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning-another swim for me today and then a fairly tough bike workout this evening.

Buying a bike.....No need to go all in from the beginning. I would go with something that you feel will get you through your first season. By the end of the season you are likely to know if this is a long term thing. At that point you can upgrade if you are in it long term. If you can find something used, THAT FITS, you can probably get alot more bike for the money.  Don't feel the need to have the latest/greatest bike out there. I suspect if we really knew all the science/data there is very little that these superbikes and high dollar bikes really do to increase out speed as compared to riding a good aliminum frame with quality components. Most importantly, get something that will get you out riding. Maybe spend less on the bike and get a decent trainer so you can ride whenever and you can make more gains on the bike than plopping down a ton of $$ on a new bike. 

Along those lines...I feel that having a good bike trainer is one of the most important pieces of equipment a triathlete can own. No worries about weather, daylight or traffic. Great way to get in miles over the Winter when its hard to get outside.

Randy

2012-12-28 8:27 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Happy Friday!!  it's jeans day at work so it's my favorite day

I swam yesterday and I concentrated on getting a good reach from each stroke - well I may have over done it because last night my shoulder was really achy - I have bursitis and for the most part swimming has been great for it (strengthened the muscles in my shoulder and I rarely have problems anymore).  SOOOOO I decided to sleep in today.  Meh, it happens

Also we are skipping skiing this weekend in favor of swimming and snowshoeing!  FINALLY some snow!

FWIW with respect to cycling indoors a few years ago we picked up a spin bike.  And I LOVE it for cycling indoors because it's so rock solid you can really stand up and hammer when you need to and it's not going anywhere!  Of course the downside is it's not the same geometry of your road bike or tri bike - but I think it's a good substitute.  We got a second one last year from a gym going out of business.  Money well spent!!

2012-12-28 8:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Denton
Nate - I just looked on your profile and all I gotta say is Holy S$%#&( Batman! I am amazed by the pictures that you posted and what you accomplished in a year ... you gotta give me some of your secrets! 
2012-12-28 9:44 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I just finished a new book that I got for Christmas. It is called "The Underwater Window." It is a fictional account about a swimmer (from Ann Arbor, MI although it is not called that in the book) and his quest to make the 2012 Olympic team. Really enjoyable book. It reminds me a bit of "Once a Runner" although probably not as good. I recommend it as a good, quick read if you are in to sports-based books. It really gets you in to the mindset and training regimen of an Olympic level swimmer. I could learn a lot from how hard the main character in the book trains. Being from Ann Arbor, I recognized many of the characters and locations, although the names had been changed to protect the guilty or innocent.....

The books, "Once a Runner" and "Again to Carthage" really inspired me years ago to up my running. It is kind of like a training bible and fictional story all in one. I am hoping that this new book will do the same for me and swimming.

Any recs from members of our group for a good read? Anything you have read recently that you really liked? I enjoy almost anything (no horror) but I admit to being fascinated by sports fiction (or non-fiction for that matter) lately.
2012-12-28 10:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Jason - I have to say I read a few great books over the past few months ... mostly ultra running related ...

"Ultramarathon Man" by Dean Karnazes (Like it ... it was a fun read but I enjoyed "Finding Ultra" more.)

"Finding Ultra" by Rich Roll (Loved it)

"A life without limits" by Chrissie Wellington (Loved it)

"The Complete Book of Running"  by James F. Fixx (The book is old and it shows. I had a hard time staying focused on this book and I didn't finish it. There was actually an article about the book in Runners World just recently.)

"Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald (Good reference, good guide)

"Devoted" by Dick Hoyt (Loved it)

I am currently reading "Eat & Run" by Scott Jurek and also got the "Iron War" book for Christmas that I will start after "Eat & Run".

Not SPORTS related:

"SUPERFreakonomics" by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner

"Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters" by Meg Meeker

"Soon I Will Be Invincible" by Austin Grossman

Edited by d3term1ned 2012-12-28 10:05 AM

2012-12-28 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
Determined:
When I was reading your post about your plant bases approach, I immediately thought "he should read Eat and Run."

I am about half way through, and have enjoyed it. Also, it has made me break out of my "off-season" slump, aka eating cleaner.

Are you an ultra guy also?
2012-12-28 10:41 AM
in reply to: #4551147

User image

Calgary, AB

Will run this evening.  

Last night, I went to the pool -- first time swimming in jammers (Christmas gift) instead of baggy swim trunks.   Holy freakin' cow!  I couldn't believe how much faster I felt (and was!) without dragging a parachute at my hips.   50m swim was 4-5s faster than normal, 100m swim was 8s faster, 200m swim was 20s faster.   Even my "recovery breaststroke" was way faster.

Mary -- as others have stated, there's nothing like a race on the schedule to focus your efforts.   I've found that a good first step (confidence builder) is to hit the distances for each event alone -- e.g. for a sprint, get to the point where you can confidently swim 500m front crawl, run a 5K without walking, etc.    Then once you hit it (or if you're already there) you can switch focus to (a) exceeding the sprint distances, (b) picking up the pace a bit, and (c) bricks.  

Simple trick but it's helped me -- I felt like a king the first time I ran 5K (about 4 weeks before my first sprint).   Now I'm doing Oly training and I was ecstatic the first time I did a 1500m front crawl.

Scott.

Edited by Hoos 2012-12-28 10:41 AM
2012-12-28 12:56 PM

User image

Expert
2500 in the pool today.  Tennis ball closed fist drills, many laps with bands on the ankles, and one arm pull drills, and kicking drills.  I am sore in many places. 
2012-12-28 1:33 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Books: I don't read nearly as many books as I used to.  Have substituted the internet I suppose. So, still reading but not the same. Within the last year I have read Chrissie Wellington and Chris McCormack's books. Chrissie came to our small local bookstore and did a talk then a signing. Got a picture with her and an signed copy of her book. I enjoyed it. She seems very genuine and smart.  She did a bike training session with one of the guys from my team (he is a stud) and his wife and they both said she was just like she seems....very nice and easy going.  I'm not much of a Macca fan but I did enjoy his book and it gave me some perspective on him as an athlete.

3000 in the pool at lunch. That puts me at over 40,000 for the month with at least one more swim workout scheduled. Hopefully, the volume will drop a bit when I get back to running. Going to look for some tennis balls at the house this evening so I can try the drill.

Randy  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66