BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2013-01-24 8:56 AM
in reply to: #4592357

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
shadow67 - 2013-01-24 5:55 AM

http://cyclemeter.com/5a5edcc2612ed9cd/Run-20130124-0457?r=e 

Good Morning Beasties!! Here's a  link to this morning's run. I'm really grooving on the Cyclemeter app for running and cycling. It gives my all the info I'll ever need and the GPS is superior to anything RunKeeper or MapMyFitness use. Never loses signal. Happy Training Everyone!!

Very cool breakdown of the data. The main reason I've stuck with my Garmin is that I like to glance down and see my pace; is it easy to check your pace on this app, or does it require multiple clicks?

2013-01-24 9:21 AM
in reply to: #4592363

User image

Middle Tennessee
hoffsquared - 2013-01-24 7:03 AM
shadow67 - 2013-01-24 6:55 AM

http://cyclemeter.com/5a5edcc2612ed9cd/Run-20130124-0457?r=e 

Good Morning Beasties!! Here's a  link to this morning's run. I'm really grooving on the Cyclemeter app for running and cycling. It gives my all the info I'll ever need and the GPS is superior to anything RunKeeper or MapMyFitness use. Never loses signal. Happy Training Everyone!!

Very cool.  Is this an app you are using on your iPhone?  There are some many useful things available.  I must consider getting one.

Yes. It's an iPhone app. It's also available for Droid. I tried several and this one is the best yet.
2013-01-24 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4553673

User image

Middle Tennessee
Very cool breakdown of the data. The main reason I've stuck with my Garmin is that I like to glance down and see my pace; is it easy to check your pace on this app, or does it require multiple clicks?It's very easy. You can set the screen to show distance,pace etc. You can also set voice announcements with a time or distance interval and it gives you the choice of what you want to hear, i.e., pace,average pace,time,distance remaining on a saved route.
2013-01-24 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4592360

User image

Middle Tennessee
hoffsquared - 2013-01-24 7:00 AMApparently I am breaking the law in VA when I'm wearing my Ninja Biker Beastie outfit.  Technically, I could be charged with a Class 6 felony.  Here's the link.  
So now you are an Outlaw Ninja Beastie! That's even more fun!
2013-01-24 10:07 AM
in reply to: #4590397

User image

Expert
Missouri

jackflash - 2013-01-22 9:25 PM Hope everyones week is going good. My apologies for just learning to correctly respond to the inspires (thanks Hilde). I need help with swimming big time. I use a pull/kick buoy but when I freestyle it feels like a have on ankle weights and my lower body sinks. I have been working on head position, breathing out quicker, not using legs... I get minimal results. I wonder if I could sneak a flotation device in my Tri suit for my first race.

I've been having the same issues since I got back to swimming.  I've started alternating my laps - one regular freestyle, one with a pull buoy, repeat - it seems to be helping me somewhat.  The idea is to get my body to learn what it feels like to be a little more balanced (with the pull buoy) and then repeat that on the regular lap.  I also noticed that I tend to lift my head a little too much when I breathe instead of just rolling it to the side.  Don't know if that's an issue for you but might be something to consider.  Will you be wearing a wetsuit for your race?  If so, it will help with keeping your legs up. 

2013-01-24 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hey Beasties!  Another slacker checking inSmile (slacking on the posting/inspires, not on the training).  I hope to start checking in more often but posting at work is "discouraged" - boss isn't here today so I'm sneaking it in - and I'm not on my computer much in the evenings.  That's when I do most of my training and try to spend a little time with the husband.  But I'll do what I can!

Made it up for a swim this morning.  Was running a little late so it was a short swim but it felt good.  Even with only 1 day of swimming a week, I feel like I'm making some small improvements (less break time between laps, easier breathing, etc).  I know I should swim more often and I will once I start training at the end of Feb for my May race.  Right now it's more just trying to get back into it after being out of the water for almost 6 months.  Kind of like my bike training - more of just maintenance and trying to get used to it again. 

Edited by soccermom15 2013-01-24 10:40 AM

2013-01-24 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4592360

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

hoffsquared - 2013-01-24 7:00 AM Apparently I am breaking the law in VA when I'm wearing my Ninja Biker Beastie outfit.  Technically, I could be charged with a Class 6 felony.  Here's the link.  

Seriously??  OMG, that is ridiculous! 

2013-01-24 10:50 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
OK, so I have a question.  Might seem silly but I'm curious what you all think.  I bought a new tri top and tri shorts the other day from TYR.  I needed new shorts and these were on clearance so I bought the matching top since it was on sale too (shorts are black with a little purple in them).  My question is: They say Ironman and have the Ironman logo on them.  I am not, and I probably never will be, and Ironman so I'm not sure about wearing this out in public, especially to a race.  If I wear them just for training, I'm OK with that, but they fit a little better than my old ones so I'd like to be able to wear these.  Would you wear them for races or just keep for training purposes? 
2013-01-24 11:04 AM
in reply to: #4592834

Spring/Woodlands Area
I've got a pair of Ironman Texas cycling shorts that I wear all the time and a tri top from the same that I wear for training. I got them because they were on sale cheap and I needed them. I don't think wearing them for training is a problem at all. I know some people don't think you should wear them for races, and I'm on the fence about that. Mine don't say finisher, so I might wear them. I see them like tournament shirts. Having them doesn't mean you did it unless they say finisher, participant, or a place. But I'm neither an Ironman nor a triathlete*, so what do I know. If it's just the logo (not an event), I would wear the hell out of them with no concern as I do for my (also on sale hella cheap Ironman shoes). Ironman Texas had a great sale, and I'm some combination of cheap and poor. *meaning I've never done or completed a race. Stupid phone formatting.

Edited by apglave 2013-01-24 11:06 AM
2013-01-24 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4592653

User image

Expert
Falls Church

shadow67 - 2013-01-24 9:28 AM
hoffsquared - 2013-01-24 7:00 AMApparently I am breaking the law in VA when I'm wearing my Ninja Biker Beastie outfit.  Technically, I could be charged with a Class 6 felony.  Here's the link.  
So now you are an Outlaw Ninja Beastie! That's even more fun!

Laughing

2013-01-24 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4592727

User image

Expert
Falls Church
soccermom15 - 2013-01-24 10:07 AM

jackflash - 2013-01-22 9:25 PM Hope everyones week is going good. My apologies for just learning to correctly respond to the inspires (thanks Hilde). I need help with swimming big time. I use a pull/kick buoy but when I freestyle it feels like a have on ankle weights and my lower body sinks. I have been working on head position, breathing out quicker, not using legs... I get minimal results. I wonder if I could sneak a flotation device in my Tri suit for my first race.

I've been having the same issues since I got back to swimming.  I've started alternating my laps - one regular freestyle, one with a pull buoy, repeat - it seems to be helping me somewhat.  The idea is to get my body to learn what it feels like to be a little more balanced (with the pull buoy) and then repeat that on the regular lap.  I also noticed that I tend to lift my head a little too much when I breathe instead of just rolling it to the side.  Don't know if that's an issue for you but might be something to consider.  Will you be wearing a wetsuit for your race?  If so, it will help with keeping your legs up. 

I am trying to remember a 'drill' I saw where you just practiced having a strong core.  Something along the lines of....

Float in the water on your belly (to the extent you can) arms forward on top of the water without engaging your core and lower back muscles...your legs will sink.

Then float in the water on your belly arms forward on top of the water and engage your core, lower back muscle, glutes, and butt...your legs should not sink as much.

If I can find the video I watched on this - I will post.  This is something close.

Here something you might find valuable.

2013-01-24 12:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
soccermom15 - 2013-01-24 9:50 AMOK, so I have a question.  Might seem silly but I'm curious what you all think.  I bought a new tri top and tri shorts the other day from TYR.  I needed new shorts and these were on clearance so I bought the matching top since it was on sale too (shorts are black with a little purple in them).  My question is: They say Ironman and have the Ironman logo on them.  I am not, and I probably never will be, and Ironman so I'm not sure about wearing this out in public, especially to a race.  If I wear them just for training, I'm OK with that, but they fit a little better than my old ones so I'd like to be able to wear these.  Would you wear them for races or just keep for training purposes? 
. Before I did an IM, I felt the same way- wouldn't have worn anything with the logo. Ironically, now that I've done one, I don't see any problem with non IM-ers wearing it. It's just a brand of tri gear. At the merch tent at IMAZ, friends and family were buying up T-shirts like crazy. Wear the gear as much as you want, I say. Let us know if anyone says anything. I wouldn't think you'd get anything more than an occasional "Oh, did you do an IM?"
2013-01-24 12:04 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

soccermom15 - 2013-01-24 10:50 AM OK, so I have a question.  Might seem silly but I'm curious what you all think.  I bought a new tri top and tri shorts the other day from TYR.  I needed new shorts and these were on clearance so I bought the matching top since it was on sale too (shorts are black with a little purple in them).  My question is: They say Ironman and have the Ironman logo on them.  I am not, and I probably never will be, and Ironman so I'm not sure about wearing this out in public, especially to a race.  If I wear them just for training, I'm OK with that, but they fit a little better than my old ones so I'd like to be able to wear these.  Would you wear them for races or just keep for training purposes? 

I have some IM shorts but the logo is little so doesn't bother me.  

I would probably just wear them.  It's a brand and I don't think anyone will care.  If they ask, just tell them you're thinking about one and this outfit make you want to do one!

2013-01-24 3:59 PM
in reply to: #4592976

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
I think you can wear it or not... but I know where you are coming from, feel like a poser, don't you?  Wear it for training and if you love it, go for it for a race, or cover it up with black marker?  It might be worth it just for the intimidation factor... in fact, wear it with a Ninja Beastie Mask for the full effect...
2013-01-24 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4593392

Spring/Woodlands Area

This would be awesome!  Please, lots of pictures.

Recovery run today.  Can't believe I was disciplined enough to stay in my recovery HR zone almost the entire time.  Felt super easy, which is the point.  Start easing back into things tomorrow as long as the schedules cooperate.

2013-01-24 7:43 PM
in reply to: #4592971

User image

Expert
tstl - 2013-01-24 12:03 PM
soccermom15 - 2013-01-24 9:50 AMOK, so I have a question.  Might seem silly but I'm curious what you all think.  I bought a new tri top and tri shorts the other day from TYR.  I needed new shorts and these were on clearance so I bought the matching top since it was on sale too (shorts are black with a little purple in them).  My question is: They say Ironman and have the Ironman logo on them.  I am not, and I probably never will be, and Ironman so I'm not sure about wearing this out in public, especially to a race.  If I wear them just for training, I'm OK with that, but they fit a little better than my old ones so I'd like to be able to wear these.  Would you wear them for races or just keep for training purposes? 
. Before I did an IM, I felt the same way- wouldn't have worn anything with the logo. Ironically, now that I've done one, I don't see any problem with non IM-ers wearing it. It's just a brand of tri gear. At the merch tent at IMAZ, friends and family were buying up T-shirts like crazy. Wear the gear as much as you want, I say. Let us know if anyone says anything. I wouldn't think you'd get anything more than an occasional "Oh, did you do an IM?"
Ditto from me-- I'd have steered clear before the IM last year, but now that I've done the race, it wouldn't bother me in the least to see someone training while wearing the logo. If the gear is comfy and fits well, go for it!

2013-01-24 11:47 PM
in reply to: #4592952

atlanta
hoffsquared - 2013-01-24 12:54 PM
soccermom15 - 2013-01-24 10:07 AM

I am trying to remember a 'drill' I saw where you just practiced having a strong core.  Something along the lines of....

Float in the water on your belly (to the extent you can) arms forward on top of the water without engaging your core and lower back muscles...your legs will sink.

Then float in the water on your belly arms forward on top of the water and engage your core, lower back muscle, glutes, and butt...your legs should not sink as much.

If I can find the video I watched on this - I will post.  This is something close.

Here something you might find valuable.

Thanks for the tips, I won't be wearing a wetsuit for my first race (pool based) maybe some of the other races.
2013-01-25 7:43 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Good morning everyone.  I have been forced to take a 'step back' week due to some snow in our area.  Not very much but enough to kill two of my morning bike commutes.  Didn't get in my run yesterday either.

It is really cold here, relative to normal winter conditions, so lots of icy patches on my normal bike route.

Hope everyone has a great Friday and weekend training sessions are planned!

2013-01-26 8:10 AM
in reply to: #4594055

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Happy Weekend  Beastie Peeps!!  What's on YOUR plan?  I have a 3 mie run this morning and then meeting up with a BT friend for a 25ish mile bike this afternoon.  10 miles tomorrow unless I can talk her OUT of doing the HM because I am just. not. feeling. it. 

On the AWESOME side of things, I took my bike to my LBS yesterday for a derailleur adjustment... the kid who worked on my bike after I finished my fitting a few weeks back, sucked to say the least.  The derailleur was totally off, AND  most of the screws were loose!  Including the ones on the seat post, WTF?  I only hope there was no slippage since then, since I paid big bucks for a FIT including setting the seat height.  But the AWESOME part was when I asked him what I owed him and told me, "Nothing! Just come back and see me!"  Wowser, you can bet I WILL be taking it back come tune up time in a few months!  I have mismatched cable covers... white on the front, green on the back and the stupid kid put some crazy spacer/adjuster things on the cables up front and, (you better sit down for this...), THEY DON'T MATCH!!!!!  Yeah, it's freaking me out a little!  So I'd like to get them all changed to basic black... I've gone from lime green bar tape and green colored tires, all back to black, gonna let just the bike frame pop...  there was a dude awhile back with the same bike as mine, Felt B16, 2011, who accessorized it all with HOT PINK... OMG it was a train wreck! 

I'm also looking at subbing a local duathlon for the half marathon, it's a week later, all women's, beginnerish, but a great way to start the season, and I'm trying to talk Louise into coming too.  It's a 1.5flat  run, 10 mile rolling hills bike, same 1.5 run.  And it's called the "Tough Cookie" so you get a cool shirt... I did it a couple of years ago and it was COLD that day.  I think it was my first race with Newton's and I felt so FAST!

Girlie night tonight with the daughter!  We buy junk food and watch cheesy movies and trash TV and are lucky if we stay awake past 10, ha ha.  Hubby likes to bond with the dogs over a huge grilled steak when I'm gone so it's a win-win for both of us!

Happy training Beasties!

2013-01-26 1:48 PM

User image

New user

Chicago
Good morning all! What a wonderful day today here in Chicago. The sun is out after a couple of gloomy days of snow with temps in the teens.. Today it's sunny and a warm 28 deg.. I felt very energetic and went out to the club for a run and a swim, and what a workout! I ran my fastest 5k at under 34min then continued with another 3 miles of speed work. Then I jumped into the pool and did a strong 2000m. I was doing 2:30 100's which is fast for me..So overall a very good workout for me and making progress. 4 weeks into this triathlon training stuff and I'm feeling great. Dropped 10 lbs to boot!Thanks to all in the group who are posting their successes and words of encouragement. This group really keeps me honest and motivated. Have a great weekend everybody, Stan
2013-01-26 2:45 PM

User image

Veteran

Wow, you guys are doing great! 

I'm currently slacking.  I feel like I'm so busy with all of the things we've had going on the last few weeks.  I need to sit down and plan out the week so that I can have a much better week coming up.

2013-01-26 3:38 PM
in reply to: #4595745

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Bearhawk - 2013-01-26 1:48 PM Good morning all! What a wonderful day today here in Chicago. The sun is out after a couple of gloomy days of snow with temps in the teens.. Today it's sunny and a warm 28 deg.. I felt very energetic and went out to the club for a run and a swim, and what a workout! I ran my fastest 5k at under 34min then continued with another 3 miles of speed work. Then I jumped into the pool and did a strong 2000m. I was doing 2:30 100's which is fast for me..So overall a very good workout for me and making progress. 4 weeks into this triathlon training stuff and I'm feeling great. Dropped 10 lbs to boot!Thanks to all in the group who are posting their successes and words of encouragement. This group really keeps me honest and motivated. Have a great weekend everybody, Stan

Way to go on everything!  10 lbs already.  Congratulations.

2013-01-26 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4595816

User image

Expert
Falls Church
rustymom - 2013-01-26 2:45 PM

Wow, you guys are doing great! 

I'm currently slacking.  I feel like I'm so busy with all of the things we've had going on the last few weeks.  I need to sit down and plan out the week so that I can have a much better week coming up.

Hmmm...maybe set up a doable plan for the week and then also a reward next Sunday for completing it.  A small reward like new sport socks or that teeny tiny little tub of Haagen Daaz ice cream in the store that always looks so good.

2013-01-26 3:44 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Hilde --- the duathlon sounds so much for fun that the HM.  

I had a nice trainer ride today.  Finally on the last episode of Games of Thrones.  Easy to watch this while on the trainer.  

Jim and I spent the morning bottling rye whiskey at a very small local distillery (Catoctin Creek).  It was really fun.  All of their bottling is done by volunteers.  Needless to say we brought one of the them home!

Tomorrow is a planned long battle with some hills.

2013-01-26 4:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oh, Hilde, your bike just sounds HIDEOUS with all the mismatched parts! I can't believe you allow yourself to be seen in public like that! I can't seem to squeeze in a rest day- there's just so much to do!- but today is really busy and really rainy, so I just did the "express" Crossfit class and called it good. Thirty minutes (only half of which is the actual 'WOD') can't be too bad, right? OMG, that was the looongest fifteen minutes! Each minute, you were to start a round of: 5 burpees, 10 squats, 5 push-presses. Then rest until the top of the minute. Sounds easy, right? Well, that left me about 3 seconds rest, so by the 3rd minute, I was sucking some serious wind! I had nothing left by the end. Now, I'm taking a little break in the middle of a long day of prepping for a Hunger Games dinner party. Those of you that have read the book know that food descriptions are frequent. We'll be having several dishes from the book while we watch the movie; "Wild Dog Stew," a fish-shaped loaf of seaweed bread, lamb and plum stew, a frothy pinky soup, and about a dozen other things. Speaking of which, I'd better get back in the kitchen! Happy training, everybody!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 17