BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Iron Aardvark group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-03-05 6:33 PM
in reply to: #4559726

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Iron Aardvark group - Closed

Rev, It's funny that you posted this today.  I have a buddy at work that wanted a wetsuit and was only looking high dollar.  I reminded him that no one can see him under the water and what the purpose of a wetsuit is.  He then went on Xterra and ordered one with the code BT and got it for like 151.00 shipped.  I don't know what kind of shipping he got (1day, 2day, how much of it is in that price).  I have an Xterra myself but have never found an event where I needed it, but I will in Racine.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-03-05 6:37 PM

2013-03-05 10:21 PM
in reply to: #4647009

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
Hunting Triathlete - 2013-03-05 9:42 AM

Josh, here's another bike question.  I am extremely happy with my new bike but have noticed a pattern.  My cadence on this bike is 75 - 80, while my last bike was 60-65.  I say that to say that my average speed is basically the same between my road bike and this bike. The question, I have a compact crank on my road bike and need to know if that's the problem with my tri bike (2 ring not compact - can not give more info at this time), should I switch cranks or why is this happening.  I do feel fresher off this bike, but think that I'm loosing speed somewhere in this equation.  Thanks as always 

Edit:  Josh after posting this I thought about it and maybe I just need to go a gear up, which would put me around 63 and likely a better workout to build up muscles.

Completely wrong theory. Your cadence should be between 85-90 if at all possible. Any coach will tell you to shift down if you are only cranking at 60-65. Grinding those high gears at such a low cadence is just a good way to burn your legs out so you will have nothing left for the run. I keep my cadence as close to 90 as possible at all times, I also peddle down hill ALWAYS that is the worst time to rest. It is like getting free speed when peddling downhill. I'm sure you will continue to feel fresher off the bike so long as you have the high cadence, but if you slow it down and grind those higher gears, my guess is that you will feel much more fatigue after.
2013-03-05 10:26 PM
in reply to: #4647680

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
reverend5150 - 2013-03-05 4:26 PMI was just starting to look for wetsuits. Does anyone have recommendations about brand or where to get a good price??
I have been doing a lot of research, since I am due for a new one myself. Everyone has their own preference for what they like just like brand preference on bicycles. I suggest trying on different brands. The suit should be right in the dressing room so there are no wrinkles in it. But should not be so tight as to cut off circulation. I personally looking to purchase a Desoto T1, which is a two piece. I have researched a lot, and this looks to be about the fastest design on the market right now.
2013-03-06 7:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Josh, I understand what you're saying and do always pedal downhill for no other reason than to see how fast I can go.  I also can not tell a difference really in my legs after a ride on the TT bike or the road bike.  In the most simply of terms, can the crankset make a huge difference or am I just putting to much into the whole this one was compact this one is not.  (How do you know if, when, and which crank to switch to.  I always hear people talk about switching out but no one really ever says why and what the benefit is)  Thanks again and remember I let you know at the start that I would be a pain at times.
2013-03-06 1:55 PM
in reply to: #4647689

User image

Sal Hontiveros - 2013-03-05 4:34 PM
reverend5150 - 2013-03-05 4:26 PMI was just starting to look for wetsuits. Does anyone have recommendations about brand or where to get a good price??
I bought an Xterra sleeveless with discount code "C-NSTC" for $120.Regular price $300

Thanks, I'll check that out. 

I wanted too see what types of supplements, if any, you all are taking. I have a friend who owns a local shop and he told me to stick with a basic protein shake with a scoop of creatine and glutamine and that's really all. 

Wanted to see all your thoughts. 

2013-03-06 5:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

No supplements here, I only have a protein shake (muscle milk) or glass of chocolate milk (who knows Miranda Carfrae might see me having a glass and asked me outWink) after a really hard workout, but by no means all of them.  I also take a one a day Vitamin.  My thought has always been that my body produces what I need and the protein is just to aid in muscle recovery.

2013-03-06 7:34 PM
in reply to: #4648286

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
Hunting Triathlete - 2013-03-06 7:59 AMJosh, I understand what you're saying and do always pedal downhill for no other reason than to see how fast I can go.  I also can not tell a difference really in my legs after a ride on the TT bike or the road bike.  In the most simply of terms, can the crankset make a huge difference or am I just putting to much into the whole this one was compact this one is not.  (How do you know if, when, and which crank to switch to.  I always hear people talk about switching out but no one really ever says why and what the benefit is)  Thanks again and remember I let you know at the start that I would be a pain at times.
Lol, no one here is a pain. I enjoy helping or I wouldn't have signed up for this. I believe the crank issue is a lot to do about nothing. Unless you are doing an unrealistic amount of climbing, I would simply stick with the crank that came on the bike. The engineers that design the TT bikes know what they are doing. The TT bike is designed to be tucked in tight and stay that way for long periods of time. The entire idea is aerodynamics to use less energy for speed. If you analyze in the form of watts, your putting out way more watts of energy to grind a high gear at 65 rpm to go 18 mph, than you will to spin a shorter gear at 90 rpms to get the same 18 mph. Less watts for the same speed means you can go longer with less energy spent. Anyways, I'd stick with the OEM crank (which is a 53/39)
2013-03-06 8:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

The one on it is a Shimano 50 / 34

2013-03-06 8:44 PM
in reply to: #4649460

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
Hunting Triathlete - 2013-03-06 8:37 PM

The one on it is a Shimano 50 / 34

Nothing wrong with that chain ring set, but it does seem a bit short. So long as you can go as fast as you want without going over 95 rpms in the top gear, I'd stick with what you got.
2013-03-06 8:46 PM

User image

So all this cadence talk has got me thinking. How do you measure cadence, I know noob question!!
2013-03-06 8:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

By short, do you mean it does not have as high of a big gear as others

2013-03-06 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4648894

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
reverend5150 - 2013-03-06 1:55 PM

Sal Hontiveros - 2013-03-05 4:34 PM
I bought an Xterra sleeveless with discount code "C-NSTC" for $120.Regular price $300

Thanks, I'll check that out. 

I wanted too see what types of supplements, if any, you all are taking. I have a friend who owns a local shop and he told me to stick with a basic protein shake with a scoop of creatine and glutamine and that's really all. 

Wanted to see all your thoughts. 

I'm not a big supplement guy, myself. With that being said, I do use hammer products during warm weather training. I use anti fatigue caps, as well as endourolytes, and often during race season I use Hammer REM caps to help me sleep when I'm doing really heavy training. Everyone has their preference, and different things work better for different people. A well balanced diet is pretty important either way.
2013-03-06 8:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

For those that didn't get the chocolate milk comment!

2013-03-06 9:02 PM
in reply to: #4649483

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
Hunting Triathlete - 2013-03-06 8:54 PM

For those that didn't get the chocolate milk comment!

That is my Iron Crush, right there. I watched her race last summer at the Muncie IM70.3 She is FAST
2013-03-06 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
So it's kinda hard for me to keep track. If everyone could do me a favor and remind me when your first race of the season is planned. I'll start... April 20th - Sprint distance.
2013-03-06 9:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have a 35 mile ride on the 24th, and then a akward sprint on April 7th (300 swim, 16 mile bike, 3.5 mile run).  These are what I have signed up for over the next 30 days.  I gotta find more tri's before Racine and would really like to knock out at least one olympic.  I plan on doing a 62 mile ride on June 1 to ensure a distance ride in the heat to see what it will feel like and to work on my hydration and nutrion.

2013-03-06 10:24 PM

First sprint is March 9th. Looks like weather will be cold Saturday morning. Not really happy about swimming in cold water but going to do my best. I had my son video my swim stroke in the pool. Thought it might help me see why I tend to veer left. Didn't go all out like the guy a few lanes over as I swam back. His advice to me was to keep my head up so I could see where I was going the whole way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ODkhIq_Pfc
2013-03-07 7:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sal, tried to watch your video but couldn't because it shows to be private.  As far as keeping your head up the whole time you are just increasing drag and decreasing speed.  If you veer pretty bad then just increase the regularity of when you sight but by no means would I keep my head up throughout.  You can also find a reference to look at while breathing to the side and a lot of times you have an idea by that if your veering.  I just know that everything we do effects something else, if you keep your head up the entire time you swim your putting strain on your neck, that will be magnified on the bike, which could result in a terrible run.  I think for your first you should go at a good pace, enjoy the day, learn from it.  Right now you seem to be worring about things that are not going to change in the next couple of days, which could take away from the enjoyment.  You might be extremely fast and can, but I know that sometimes people put to much thought into a first race and whether or not they can / will place and fail to just enjoy the day.  The other thing that happens to some is that they are disappointed becuase they did not meet some goal they set, which they truely had nothing to gauge the goal by in the first place, and fail to realize the accomplishment they just achieved.  I'm not saying any on this applies to you directly, just giving you some things to reflect on.  YOU WILL BE FINE AND DO GREATCool   
2013-03-07 8:54 AM

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
some great advice above ^^^ - you've done all the training and look like you're really well prepared for the race so try and enjoy it. Just concentrate on your race and don't worry about everyone else around you - stick to your planned pace and use whats left over in the last km of the run.
2013-03-07 9:44 AM

Thanks all for the advice. Yes I'm a little worried. I hate not being totally prepared. I didn't think it would be so cold so didn't prepare for the cold. I just think the swim in cold water will cause me to exert more energy and leave me with nothing for the bike and run. It supposed to be about 45-50 degrees come race time. I'm wondering if I should take off fast to warm up and then settle into a nice pace or should I start off with a steady pace from the beginning.
2013-03-07 11:32 AM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati

Just peeking in and reading some of the posts......

I am a friend of Josh and we actually met in a mentor group here on BT and have raced with him and cheered for him at IMKY last year and will race an IM with him this year at IMWI!  Just checking in to see how much he is going to whip my a$$.

I have dissapeared over the last year with a growing family and started my own business which has grown well beyond my expectations and a possible surgery (tonsils removal) in the next 30-45 days.  Its going to be a rough go at it in WI but I am bound and determined to get things going again.  I was a sub 13 Ironman at IMKY in 2011.  Not sure what this year will bring but if I can hold onto Josh during the swim and draft off him in the bike I have a chance of finishing with him.

My past logs shows the time and effort that went into my first ironman and this one will be less so need to trade a little quantiy and get a bit more quality workouts in.

I will start logging and checking in every once in a while as this will help keep me honest. 

Keep up the good work and I am off to the pool!

Any questions let me know!

Kevin

2013-03-07 12:21 PM
in reply to: #4649473

User image

Extreme Veteran

reverend5150 - 2013-03-06 8:46 PM So all this cadence talk has got me thinking. How do you measure cadence, I know noob question!!

Josh correct me here if I'm wrong, Cadence is the number of pedal rotations per minute on the bike.  It is measured via a wireless piece that is placed on the crank near the pedal and another is placed on the frame to where the crank one passes right by it.  This in turn counts and calculates the average number of rotations, Your Cadence.  You can have this through a bike computer Cat Eye or if you have a Garmin watch you can buy the wireless compenents that your Garmin reads.  I think it was the best purchase I have made becuase it gives you your max speed, average speed, total time, total distance, and cadence.  If you have it with a Garmin you also get an exact map of the ride, with heart rate, elevation, pace, speed, interactive charts for the entire ride, which shows you exactly what happened at what point.  For reference I have a Garmin 305 Forerunner, with HR monitor, and Wireless bike reader.  I love it you can see in my logs how it downloads, but understand my Garmin File has maps / and interactive charts I'm speaking of.

Examples:

CatEye Strada Double Wireless Speed and Cadence Bicycle Computer CC-RD400DW

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-03-07 12:22 PM
2013-03-07 7:55 PM
in reply to: #4650367

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
Hunting Triathlete - 2013-03-07 12:21 PM

reverend5150 - 2013-03-06 8:46 PM So all this cadence talk has got me thinking. How do you measure cadence, I know noob question!!

Josh correct me here if I'm wrong, Cadence is the number of pedal rotations per minute on the bike.  It is measured via a wireless piece that is placed on the crank near the pedal and another is placed on the frame to where the crank one passes right by it.  This in turn counts and calculates the average number of rotations, Your Cadence.  You can have this through a bike computer Cat Eye or if you have a Garmin watch you can buy the wireless compenents that your Garmin reads.  I think it was the best purchase I have made becuase it gives you your max speed, average speed, total time, total distance, and cadence.  If you have it with a Garmin you also get an exact map of the ride, with heart rate, elevation, pace, speed, interactive charts for the entire ride, which shows you exactly what happened at what point.  For reference I have a Garmin 305 Forerunner, with HR monitor, and Wireless bike reader.  I love it you can see in my logs how it downloads, but understand my Garmin File has maps / and interactive charts I'm speaking of.

Examples:

CatEye Strada Double Wireless Speed and Cadence Bicycle Computer CC-RD400DW

That is exactly what cadence is. As previously states, for triathletes (which may be different from road biking - I'm not really sure) almost any coach will tell you to keep your cadence between 80-90 rpms all the time, no matter what your speed is. Watching your cadence closely will teach you how to shift properly. I actually have the Garmin 910xt, and it will give you about 37 different pieces of data for any workout. Here is an example with 19 difference pieces of data from the bike portion of my last race of the summer. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/227404155
2013-03-07 8:01 PM
in reply to: #4650017

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
Sal Hontiveros - 2013-03-07 9:44 AMThanks all for the advice. Yes I'm a little worried. I hate not being totally prepared. I didn't think it would be so cold so didn't prepare for the cold. I just think the swim in cold water will cause me to exert more energy and leave me with nothing for the bike and run. It supposed to be about 45-50 degrees come race time. I'm wondering if I should take off fast to warm up and then settle into a nice pace or should I start off with a steady pace from the beginning.
Don't worry about the temps. You will totally not even notice it, I PROMISE. Since this is your first race, I really think you need to try to just do a nice easy swim the day before. Try to relax and quiet your mind. Enjoy the race, take off easy, and build. Don't take off hard and get worn out early, just ease into it. You only have your first race once, so make it an enjoyable memory. Don't worry about being fast, just have fun, have fun, have fun. You have the rest of your life to work on the other details.
2013-03-08 7:33 AM

User image

My first sprint isn't until June 23. I knew training would be a slow thing for me because of my work being very physical, pregnant wife whom is on bed rest and having a toddler. I wanted to make sure I had time to train more slowly than most.

The only other race I have planned for is an Olympic in September. Wish I could do more races but it's just not in the family plan at the moment.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Iron Aardvark group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 16