BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-05-17 7:00 PM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

New user
KY
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Wow, I feel like I'm n a strange, foreign land. Definitely going to take some getting used to!

2013-05-17 8:20 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Originally posted by Meljoypip

I am starting to get 'a little' anxious about my Tri coming up on TWO WEEKS!!

I'm thinking about transition- I plan to practice this weekend.

I read somewhere, I think Meredith Atwood's (Swim, Bike, Mom) book Triathlon for Every Woman (have you read this book??? Even if you are a guy still read this FUNNIEST book I have very read about someone getting into triathlon free loaner on Amazon Prime)

Anyway, I read somewhere, to put your stuff in a bucket and sit on it during transition to change your shoes etc. What do you think??

I also read to put your swim cap on, then your goggles, then the race swim cap and your goggles will stay put... what do you guys thing about goggles when we are jumping into water (feet first) from pier???

I have never used body glide or anything like that- will I need to get some?

This is what I am planing to bring: goggles, (swim cap?) Shoes, socks, bike helmet, sunglasses, sunscreen racebelt, hat for run, extra shirt (I know something extra to worry about, but it is a little loose for swim, it's labeled as a marathon shirt and I plan to throw it on after the swim) water bottle to rinse feet, small towel to dry feet (do I need a sham type one?) Am I missing anything???

I plan to have a chap stick and a few gels & maybe a laura bar in bike bag....speaking of which- I only have an under the seat bag, is there a specific type of 'front of the bike bag' (i know small) I should get???

Deep breath..... Deep Breath.....

x2 on what everyone has said so far! I lay everything out on a big towel to make sure I haven't missed something. Bring an extra pair of shoes/sandals for when you are done. It is so wonderful to get my sneakers off into something else after a race!

Definitely practice a few times. It will help quite a bit. Reminds me that I need to do a few dry runs tomorrow before I drop my bike off.

2013-05-18 1:34 PM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Expert
Missouri
I think I'm ready for tomorrow! Getting excited about it! Went for an OWS practice this morning at a local lake to test out the rented wetsuit and get a feel for water temperature. The lake today was 70*, the one tomorrow was 66* on Friday morning so should be similar to today's swim. I printed out my checklist (from here on BT, under "Races") so I won't forget anything in the morning. I'll get most of it packed up tonight and put in the car. I convinced DH to go with me tomorrow so he can drive - the race is about 1h 45m away so we'll be getting up early. Have to check in by 7:30. Weather is supposed to be similar to today so should be just perfect.

Anyone else besides Melanie racing tomorrow? Good luck to you Melanie - looking forward to the race report!
2013-05-18 6:45 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Originally posted by soccermom15

I think I'm ready for tomorrow! Getting excited about it! Went for an OWS practice this morning at a local lake to test out the rented wetsuit and get a feel for water temperature. The lake today was 70*, the one tomorrow was 66* on Friday morning so should be similar to today's swim. I printed out my checklist (from here on BT, under "Races") so I won't forget anything in the morning. I'll get most of it packed up tonight and put in the car. I convinced DH to go with me tomorrow so he can drive - the race is about 1h 45m away so we'll be getting up early. Have to check in by 7:30. Weather is supposed to be similar to today so should be just perfect.

Anyone else besides Melanie racing tomorrow? Good luck to you Melanie - looking forward to the race report!

Good luck! Hope all goes well. What time is your race? Must be a nice start time! I will be in the water @ 7:05am. Means leaving house around 4:30am so I am there by 5:30am. Parking is sometimes a struggle at this race so I like to get there early.
2013-05-18 7:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Good luck Melanie &  Janet on your races tomorrow!!!

Glad to hear you guys will have some good weather for your races!!

Remember all of the little details for your race reports!!

and PR or ER!!! Laughing

2013-05-19 6:44 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Melanie and Janet - Can't wait to hear how your races went this weekend!! Hope you kicked some Beastie butt out there!

I had a busy week of training. My tri group did a training camp yesterday, which was awesome. We went on a group bike ride (where I got my first flat! thank God I was riding with more experienced cyclists so they helped change my flat), some people ran a 10K (I passed b/c I ran one today) and then some of us went for a group OWS. Then lots of socializing afterward at the team bbq. It was such beautiful weather in New England this weekend, too!

My 10K today went pretty well. I was hoping to run it in under an hour but am happy with 1:02:18 b/c I beat last year's time by 2 minutes. I'm exhausted and looking forward to a good night's sleep and a rest day tomorrow!

Hope you all had good weekends!!

2013-05-20 8:05 AM
in reply to: kpringle

User image

Expert
Falls Church
I had a decent race. My race report is posted. I don't see a way to provide a link here.

2013-05-20 8:06 AM
in reply to: kpringle

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Originally posted by kpringle Melanie and Janet - Can't wait to hear how your races went this weekend!! Hope you kicked some Beastie butt out there! I had a busy week of training. My tri group did a training camp yesterday, which was awesome. We went on a group bike ride (where I got my first flat! thank God I was riding with more experienced cyclists so they helped change my flat), some people ran a 10K (I passed b/c I ran one today) and then some of us went for a group OWS. Then lots of socializing afterward at the team bbq. It was such beautiful weather in New England this weekend, too! My 10K today went pretty well. I was hoping to run it in under an hour but am happy with 1:02:18 b/c I beat last year's time by 2 minutes. I'm exhausted and looking forward to a good night's sleep and a rest day tomorrow! Hope you all had good weekends!!

Sounds like a great weekend. I would love to do a group bike and OWS- I SO wish I had a tri group!!! I need to practice changing a flat this week because I sure do not want a DNF because of one in my race!!

Way to PR on your 10K! It's one of my goals to race one this summer.

I did not swim this AM because I have a pretty good head cold going on. I'm not sure if this is something I caught from my son/grandson who have both been sick or I caught it from tell SHAWN to run through his cold!!! (hope you are feeling better by now Shawn!!)

2013-05-20 8:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Originally posted by hoffsquared I had a decent race. My race report is posted. I don't see a way to provide a link here.

you probably need to enable the editor- Hover over your name in the top right and a menu will appear with a setting option.

2013-05-20 8:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Originally posted by hoffsquared I had a decent race. My race report is posted. I don't see a way to provide a link here.

6:20 a mile after that swim and bike??? AWESOME!!! I think you had a great race and it sounds like you had a lot of fun!!

2013-05-20 8:27 AM

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
Originally posted by hoffsquared

I had a decent race. My race report is posted. I don't see a way to provide a link here.

Seems like you had a good race. Even though you felt like you were not in to it. The run avg was killer 6:10 I think I read.

2013-05-20 8:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)

Seems like you had a good race. Even though you felt like you were not in to it. The run avg was killer 6:20 I think I read.

Edited by Jigger 2013-05-20 8:30 AM
2013-05-20 9:50 AM
in reply to: Jigger

User image

Veteran
Just read Melanie's race reports. Great race considering your training.

I'm trying to link it here. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2013-05-20 12:32 PM
in reply to: rustymom

User image

Expert
Missouri
Hey all! Working on my race report now - hope to have it up later today. Short version - I finished (main goal considering my 2 DNF's last year), beat my time from 3 years ago, had an OK swim, a really good bike, and a lousy run. But I really enjoyed it overall.

I'm going to read Melanie's RR and then try to get mine posted.
2013-05-20 2:25 PM
in reply to: Jigger

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Originally posted by Jigger
Originally posted by hoffsquaredI had a decent race. My race report is posted. I don't see a way to provide a link here.
Seems like you had a good race. Even though you felt like you were not in to it. The run avg was killer 6:20 I think I read.
So I think there is an issue with the conversion to running pace on race reports! Haha...if I could only do a 6:20 min/mile!! The correct math works out to about 9:48.
2013-05-20 2:26 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Originally posted by Meljoypip

you probably need to enable the editor- Hover over your name in the top right and a menu will appear with a setting option.

Thanks for the tip!

2013-05-20 2:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Originally posted by Jigger
Originally posted by hoffsquaredI had a decent race. My race report is posted. I don't see a way to provide a link here.
So I think there is an issue with the conversion to running pace on race reports! Haha...if I could only do a 6:20 min/mile!! The correct math works out to about 9:48.

9:48 is still a great pace, especially after a long bike and swim!!! I'm still trying to beat 10 just running. I think you must have a really good base built up if you have not been training.

2013-05-20 5:49 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

New user
Originally posted by soccermom15

Hey all! Working on my race report now - hope to have it up later today. Short version - I finished (main goal considering my 2 DNF's last year), beat my time from 3 years ago, had an OK swim, a really good bike, and a lousy run. But I really enjoyed it overall.

I'm going to read Melanie's RR and then try to get mine posted.

congratulations on your race!
swim: maybe next time you'd better stay in the middle of the group to save time, you under estimated yourself
bike: there are some water bottles with longer straws. better yet, practice riding with only one hand on your handle bars
run: some heat training would help you a lot.
2013-05-20 6:14 PM

User image

New user

after looking at your race report, i'm now feeling bad about my SBR paces =(

congratulations!
2013-05-20 6:18 PM
in reply to: oldSAP

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by oldSAP

after looking at your race report, i'm now feeling bad about my SBR paces =(

congratulations!

Melanie's a fast one. No need to feel bad. She's in great shape even when she's not "feeling her training".
2013-05-20 6:22 PM

User image

Veteran
I improvised for my workout tonight. It's hot and humid and I did not have a lunch time run in me. So I did something that I've been thinking about. I traveled 10 times up and down my driveway. It's not too long, but it's pretty steep. I "ran" up #3, #5, #7 and #9 of the 10 round trips. Totalled around 0.7 miles, but it was good for a first try.

I'll have to try running #3, #4, #6, #7 and #9 next time or something until I can run UP on all but #1 and #10 (warmup and cooldown).

2013-05-20 7:19 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Originally posted by rustymomI improvised for my workout tonight. It's hot and humid and I did not have a lunch time run in me. So I did something that I've been thinking about. I traveled 10 times up and down my driveway. It's not too long, but it's pretty steep. I "ran" up #3, #5, #7 and #9 of the 10 round trips. Totalled around 0.7 miles, but it was good for a first try. I'll have to try running #3, #4, #6, #7 and #9 next time or something until I can run UP on all but #1 and #10 (warmup and cooldown).
This is a really good idea and a great way to build up speed and strength at the same time.
2013-05-20 7:31 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
So we have a true speedster in our midst.Erin smoked the field in ER HIM this weekend. 5th overall...this even with dropping her chain and going off course a bit.
2013-05-21 5:48 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Good morning Beasties!I am planning a run today. We will see how the legs feel. Cloudy and very humid here. Supposed to get up to 87F! Last week I had a wool cap on!Thoughts go out to those in Oklahoma.
2013-05-21 5:51 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

So we have a true speedster in our midst.Erin smoked the field in ER HIM this weekend. 5th overall...this even with dropping her chain and going off course a bit.

Let me clarify that even more... Erin was 5th OVERALL including the MEN! She was first female overall!!! And she took time to put on sunscreen in T2! She exemplifies being a BEAST!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 29