BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-05-07 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4724546

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED

Question to throw out...

I've come to realize that I need a bike trainer.  The weather isn't always going to cooperate, and cycling in the rain with motorists that text/tailgate/don't give me my three feet/and generally dislike cyclists scares me. 

Anyhow...one of the guys in my tri club has a CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer that he purchased last year (he wants $200...includes everything that came with it--instruction manual, training video and skewer).  Has used it for about 20 hours, but he just bought a CompuTrainer, so doesn't need the CycleOps anymore (and could use the money to put towards the ComputTrainer cost). 

I know NOTHING about trainers (except that I've been on one at the bike shop during my bike fitting).  Laughing

Educate me, please.  

2013-05-07 5:11 PM
in reply to: #4732004

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
glfprncs - 2013-05-07 5:29 PM

Question to throw out...

I've come to realize that I need a bike trainer.  The weather isn't always going to cooperate, and cycling in the rain with motorists that text/tailgate/don't give me my three feet/and generally dislike cyclists scares me. 

Anyhow...one of the guys in my tri club has a CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer that he purchased last year (he wants $200...includes everything that came with it--instruction manual, training video and skewer).  Has used it for about 20 hours, but he just bought a CompuTrainer, so doesn't need the CycleOps anymore (and could use the money to put towards the ComputTrainer cost). 

I know NOTHING about trainers (except that I've been on one at the bike shop during my bike fitting).  Laughing

Educate me, please.  

CycleOps makes pretty high quality stuff. Most people recommend either CycleOps or the Kurt Kinetic.

Here is a link to a website that has used Fluid 2 trainers on it for a lot more than $200.

http://brandscycle.com/product-list/accessories-1109/trainers-rolle...

It sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

I do about 95% of my "riding" on a trainer. It is just my current reality when it comes to bike training. I do think that not riding outside does hold me back some on cycling improvements.
2013-05-07 5:50 PM

User image

Master
Congratulations, Melissa!

Stuart/Randy: Thank you for the swimming tips. I'll give them a try today on my swim.

Dave, Xterra Maui seems so big right now! I think as I get stronger I'll gain a bit more confidence.

Rode the Xterra MTB course yesterday. There is one spot that I keep getting turned around on. There are two turns. One circles you towards where you came from, then back out on the course.  Another one, which I keep taking, turns you right back around takes you back home. I take the turn that takes you back home, see tracks and think, hey! There's another rider out here! Find myself on a trail that I just came from and realize they're my tracks. GRRR! Then, my stupid gear kept getting stuck in granny gear. Didn't have any momentum to get me up and down the hills. Blech! Took forever to get it done. Time to take the bike in for a tune up.

1500m swim and easy 4 mile run on tap today. I look forward to it. I like how I have days that I can just swim, bike, and run. The other days the words "AS HARD AS YOU CAN" and "AS FAST AS YOU CAN" are tossed in quite a bit. Oh, and hill repeats. I know I need all that though!

Happy training! Oh, shoot! Still need to do my bio.

Edited by Blanda 2013-05-07 5:51 PM
2013-05-07 7:36 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Deleted - Duplicate post

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-05-07 7:46 PM
2013-05-07 7:44 PM
in reply to: #4728253

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group
slornow - 2013-05-05 6:30 PM

mtnbikerchk - 2013-05-05 3:53 PM Just checking in! Home from vacation on Tuesday. I'm eating completely unhealthy lol but at last I did get two short runs in!

Hope you are all behaving!

Randee-are you going to be with us again this time?

If you'll have me!  Just got home and I'm catching up - bio update to follow!  THANKS

2013-05-07 8:31 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Randee-glad to have you back.

I do most of my bike training on the trainer as well. No worries about traffic, weather etc....When the weather cooperates I'll get outside on the weekend for my long rides. 

2013-05-07 8:55 PM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Man can't catch a break, my sons fever has worked it's way to me today. At least there is a positive my race is still 10 days out. Hydrate and rest sounds like a plan to me.
2013-05-07 9:58 PM

User image

Expert

Melissa- congrats on Med School!!!!!  Brings back memories, I graduated in '94 and it still seems like yesterday.

Nancy- I own a Kurt Kinetic and love it.  I used it heavily for 3 years then last fall it started making a weird noise.  I emailed the company and within 5 days I had a new one sent to me.  No questions asked except for the serial number on it.  They told me to do whatever I wanted with the old one.  I love this kind of customer service as they stand behind their product.

Jason - glad your wife is doing well! 

It's 11 pm and I've been at the hospital all day between meetings and now working the admitting shift.  I at least got up early and did my ride so I'm feeling pretty good.  Now that my training is really picking up I find myself thinking of food constantly.  I'm frickin hungry all the time.  Our cafeteria is closed and I've already eaten all of the food I brought.  I'm fighting the urge to go to the vending machine.

Jim

2013-05-08 8:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Ok, just an update on the whole ankle issue, it seems fine. I did my race on Sunday, felt fine, woke up Monday and the outside of my right ankle just felt tight and a little painful. However, throughout the day, it just felt better and better. Then, I woke up Tuesday and it was fine. 

I did a 1-hour run yesterday and had no problem at all, so I'm guessing it was soreness? I was just alarmed because I've never been sore around my ankles before, but then again that was the fastest I've ever done a run in a triathlon, so maybe that was it. 

Anyway, everything seems fine now, which is very reassuring! So, back to training this week (I got most of my swim in last night before rain cut it short, and all of my run), then Nate and I are doing a Sprint on Saturday...before a 4 hour ride/45 min run training session. LaughingSealed

2013-05-08 8:10 AM
in reply to: #4732739

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
WoodrowCall - 2013-05-08 9:05 AM

Ok, just an update on the whole ankle issue, it seems fine. I did my race on Sunday, felt fine, woke up Monday and the outside of my right ankle just felt tight and a little painful. However, throughout the day, it just felt better and better. Then, I woke up Tuesday and it was fine. 

I did a 1-hour run yesterday and had no problem at all, so I'm guessing it was soreness? I was just alarmed because I've never been sore around my ankles before, but then again that was the fastest I've ever done a run in a triathlon, so maybe that was it. 

Anyway, everything seems fine now, which is very reassuring! So, back to training this week (I got most of my swim in last night before rain cut it short, and all of my run), then Nate and I are doing a Sprint on Saturday...before a 4 hour ride/45 min run training session. LaughingSealed

Glad your ankle issue cleared up! Saturday is going to be one of the most draining days ever! I think the Half IM will be easier Laughing.

2013-05-08 8:43 AM
in reply to: #4731306

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

wannabefaster - 2013-05-07 12:49 PM My wife is out of surgery and in her room. Surgeon says it could not have gone any better. What a relief to get that behind us. Sounds like she may possibly go home tomorrow rather than in three or four days. Whew!

Great to hear! Glad the surgery went well!!

2013-05-08 8:59 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nate/Jamie-you guys are hard core. Racing a sprint then doing a long brick. Have fun with that.

Randee-if you have not done so post a bio for us.

What does everyone have on tap today. Swim at lunch and what looks to be an intimidating bike workout this evening.

Busy but exciting next week to 10 days for our family. Daughter is graduating HS a week from Sunday so we have baccalaureate (sp?), senior dinner, awards day, soccer banquet and I'm sure a huge amount of stress as to what my daughter wears as to each event She will be going to Furman University next year in Greenville, SC.....so I should get a chance to meet up with Jamie and Nate at some point on one of our visits. Son is running the 10K Friday night for the University of Alabama at the SEC Outdoor Track Championships. He is a freshman so expectations are low for a top finish but he has had a great year there and done well with his running and academics. He will be home the middle of next week and it is always"interesting" when everyone is home. We love it but Mama seems to stress out a bit.  Never a dull moment! 

2013-05-08 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4732832

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Hard core or crazy as hell! I'm fine with either description

Have a 45 min ride followed by a 30 min brick run today after work. Might change up the bike workout a bit more than I'm used to (Which is Z2). I have a hill in my neighborhood that is about a mile and has an elevation change of about 150ft. Is a hill like that decent for hill repeats? I know I can find better hills nearby, but the plan today i just to do a ride near home, and this is the best hill I can find I've done it a few times in the past, but it's over in a couple of minutes. I've heard hill repeats are good, but the "Be Iron Fit" training plan doesn't really call for them.

-Nate

Edited by leechj 2013-05-08 9:37 AM
2013-05-08 9:44 AM

Got in an easy couple of run miles before the rain resumed, then hopped in the pool for my first swim in nearly a month. First swim in an outdoor pool this year and it was raining. Very fun. Waiting for the weather to break, but I don't think it is going to. I may have to break down and bust out the trainer again.
2013-05-08 10:12 AM

User image

Calgary, AB

Was planning to wake up early for a bike ride, but I hit snooze once too many times... Embarassed 

This week will be tricky -- I'm on a business trip today through Friday.   Hoping the hotel has good facilities...

Scott.

2013-05-08 10:44 AM

User image

Champion
Just as an FYI, I posted some women's swimwear and tri tops in the pay it forward thread in the classifieds section. Just some stuff I need/want to get rid of before I move.

2013-05-08 10:46 AM

User image

Champion
I'm feeling way better today than I did yesterday. Just watching some tv and going to do my long run after lunch. Then on the hunt for some furniture and other stuff for my new place in PG. 
2013-05-08 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4732909

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
leechj - 2013-05-08 9:37 AM

Hard core or crazy as hell! I'm fine with either description

Have a 45 min ride followed by a 30 min brick run today after work. Might change up the bike workout a bit more than I'm used to (Which is Z2). I have a hill in my neighborhood that is about a mile and has an elevation change of about 150ft. Is a hill like that decent for hill repeats? I know I can find better hills nearby, but the plan today i just to do a ride near home, and this is the best hill I can find I've done it a few times in the past, but it's over in a couple of minutes. I've heard hill repeats are good, but the "Be Iron Fit" training plan doesn't really call for them.

-Nate

I thought they had BIG hills in your neck of the woods. Laughing Honestly, if it was 150ft in 1/4m that would be a hill!  If you're trying to build power, could you put it in your biggest gear and crank away?  I know I do some trainer sets in the winter at 55RPM in mid Z3 to build power.

Today was a fairly easy day for me, short speedwork run and easy pool (ok, no pool work is ever easy for me!).  Rounding out with a little TRX class tonight.  I'm saving myself for my first BIGGER training day of the IM plan.  Friday brings a 1:15 swim, 90' off, 3:30 ride, 90' off and 1:!5 run.  FUN!

2013-05-08 11:18 AM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV

Woke up this morning feeling like my normal self, I didn't get a chance to run this morning but as far as the rest of the day goes I'm planing on a :50 ride at lunch if the weather holds out, and masters this evening.  I think I have moved my schedule around enough to make up for the swim I missed Monday and the run from this morning.  It's going to make Friday morning kind of hectic but I should be able to manage.  Have a good day everyone.

-Mike

2013-05-08 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4733183

User image

Master
South Alabama

Mike-glad you are feeling better.

Suzy-my training plan sometimes calls for those power intervals. My previous coach called them LOW BRO intervals. Low cadence/big ring only. Good strength builder.

Swim done! Actually felt pretty decent in the pool today. Even though swimming uses minimal leg strength/energy I find that my worst swim workouts are in the day or two after a big weekend of biking/running. Must be the accumulated fatigue my body is dealing with from the hard workouts. My Monday swims pretty much always suck regardless how easy the workout is. I've had a couple of easy training days with yesterday being swim only so body feels pretty good right now. Tonight's bike workout will put an end to that.    

2013-05-08 3:13 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina

First off...there are ONLY 9 more student days left in the school year (12 teacher days).  Makes me happy for 2 reasons:  1.  As much as I love teaching, I'm ready for this group to go on to the high school, and 2.  I can workout twice as hard without having to get up at 4:15 a.m. to do it!!

Wednesdays are generally my rest days, and with school functions, some tough workouts, and early mornings, I'm feeling pretty wrecked right now.  It's a good day to rest.  Might do a little yoga and hit my foam roller for a bit, but other than that, I'm going to truly take a rest day.

I've got the 'deal' worked out on the bike trainer (the CycleOps) and I have a wetsuit on the way.  Will start open water swims with the tri club once I've decided that the wetsuit fits.  If it doesn't, I'll more than likely take a trip to Atlanta within the next few weeks and try a bunch on at All3Sports.

Hope everyone has had/is having a great day today!

-Nancy

2013-05-08 3:27 PM

User image

Expert

Bike done this morning, 40 miles on gentle rollers with multiple sprint sets.  Run on tap for this evening.  Jim

Edited to add that I moved my seat 3/8 inch forward and the neck/trap pain now gone.  I will leave it at this setting for a while and see how it goes.

Edited by jimmyb 2013-05-08 3:28 PM
2013-05-08 3:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

Randy - I had one of those swims yesterday that sucked.  I guess I still had some fatigue from the race on Monday.  Some days I feel like I'm flying through the water.  Last night I felt like I was swimming through treacle.  Still, it was a decent swim.

The good news is that today I passed my driving test at work.  That means that over the next two days I learn to drive with lights and sirens.  That's the fun part!

Tonight was track session.  I felt really tired at the start and wasn't really up for the run, but once I got going I felt much better and I'm really glad I went.

Jamie - I tried to read your Rev3 race report, but for some reason it won't let me access it.  Not sure why not, but can you add me to your friends list to see if that fixes it? - Scratch that - I've got to it via your race log...

Edited by chapfallen 2013-05-08 3:43 PM
2013-05-08 3:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

Today's other news is that I've finally convinced my Dad to do a tri.  He's going to do the one that our club is organising in June, so my husband and I will both be there volunteering and can give him some support.

He's not done any running for a while because of concerns over his knees, but the physio has checked him out and given him the all clear.  Does anyone have any suggestions of a good couch to 5k running plan that I could point him to, to allow him to get back into running carefully?

2013-05-08 4:18 PM

User image

Master
Jason: Glad the MRS is out of surgery and doing well. Hope she heals up real quick.

Mike: Figured the ankle was just sore from the race. I'm usually sore from any race head to toe, but that could just be my age, lol! Glad it's feeling better.

Nate/Jaime: You guys are dedicated!

My swim yesterday was uneventful. Got her done. Then, I made the mistake of eating a big sammich right before my easy 4 mile run, and that made it the hardest easy 4 mile run in a long while. I passed by a friend on my route and told him that I just wanted to go home, and he said I looked like it, hahaha!

Today I've got an hour ride with some interval stuff in it. 5x20 secs of "AS HARD AS YOU CAN", then right after a transition run with some strides after. Sounds like a good time.

Happy training!

Edited by Blanda 2013-05-08 4:20 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88