BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-01-08 10:59 AM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Originally posted by cwpeters

Originally posted by justinfss

Need clarification on a CLP.

Today's plan was a speed workout, however after 4 consecutive days of workouts including my first group ride since June, the body was a little beat up. Skipped the planned training and went for a 45 minute walk with the wife. So, CLP or not and does the walk keep my streak alive?

I'll start the weight loss challenge:

Start - 1/2/15 - 295.8

Goal - 1/11/15 - 290

I am in but not sure what order your dates are in here, are we doing weekly weigh ins?

Start 1/1/15 - 256

Goal 200

I wasn't sure how to do the format so I went with my weight closest to the 1st and what I thought would be a good first weigh in date. Please feel free to change things up. We could do an overall weight loss goal but I thought a weekly goal might be more motivational.

Cool, I agree on the weekly weigh in's/goals, It is all too easy to say I want to be 50lb's light by the end of the year, and then not really do anything about it.

So on that note should we standardize this as a weekly thing? if you want to be part of it, take you weight closest to the 1st of Jan and then every week after, So that would make today a weigh in day, and every subsequent thursday. So here is mine. My weekly goal is 2lbs, so I shattered that, although with the sheer amount that I ate and drank over the holidays, I think this was not as much a result of my efforts, rather just an end to the utter gluttony that was my life for the two weeks prior!

Jan 1 - 256
Jan 8 - 250

6 down, 50 more to go!

2015-01-08 11:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
First workout of 2015 complete finally!, went for a swim after work last night, and I tell ya, there where a lot of things conspiring to make me not do the workout...

first off: it was -30 degrees C and after 10.7 hours of working I was feeling a lot like just going home to my warm couch, netflix and a big bowl of popcorn!

second: no one was at the desk for the pool and it looked like they had a divider in the middle of the pool and no lanes open for laps, one guys walked in a said 'looks like its a free swim tonight and just went in, my morals got the best of me and I stood around waiting for the teenager to re-occupy his post, he assured me there were lanes open, they just had them in the deep end, he punched my card and I go to change.'

Third; No goggles in my bag! ahhhh where are they .... 'F' it!

So with some pretty sore and irritated eyes, I finished 40 laps, and it felt glourious!

of course all my soap and toiletries are completely frozen solid in my bag!!! Who cares.... I'm back folks!

250m warm-up then 750m in 18:30!!! boom!

Edited by justinfss 2015-01-08 11:07 AM
2015-01-08 11:36 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
The promised bio

Name: Gretchen

Demographics: 35yo, married, female, live in southern Illinois

Back story: Saw triathlon in the 2012 Olympics and thought it sounded cool, decided to give training a try to expand on an existing weight loss/workout program. Trained inconsistently through winter 2012, all 2013 and all 2014. First races in 2014.

2014 Races: Wood River Sprint Triathlon--goal was to finish and not die--accomplished! Second Tri was called the "Trail of Tears" Tri in Cape Girardeau, MO, also a sprint. It took me 2:45min--I was DFL. The name is apparently both a historical reference to the bike path (parts are on the road that was built over part of the Trail of Tears) and also a commentary on the bike course. It was just brutal.

2015 Races: I want to bump up to Oly distance this year. I plan repeat the two races I did in 2014. WR I did with my sister, and it was just fun to have our family cheering us on--it is close to where my folks live. TOT--I want vengeance!! I also want to add another early season race in April/early May and a sprint in early July to keep me honest and training. The Oly I have picked is in mid-September.

Complications: I travel a lot for work. I spend weeks at a time in the middle of the desert in Middle Egypt. There is no possibility of either swimming or biking while there. On my last trip in Nov/Dec I managed to run 52miles in the month along the stretch of road visible to the guards in front of our dig house. It is pretty easy to run (flat, straight), but takes a significant amount of mental toughness to endure the pointing and questions from the locals who think I'm crazy for running back and forth day after day (and also, you have to watch for the donkey poop!).

2015 Goals: Consistency is a big problem for me. I do great for a while, but then my schedule gets thrown off and I have huge gaps between workouts. This year my goals are set so they are relatively easy to attain, but will require consistent work throughout the year.
1.) 400 workouts of at least 30 minutes (most will be s/b/r, but I intentionally left it open to allow for some spontaneity and variety)
2.) Run 600 miles; Bike 1000 miles; Swim 100 miles
3.) Olympic Distance Race

Beer: Right now I'm eight days into Dryanuary (no alcohol in January). Generally, I'm a dark beer kind of woman. I like porters and stouts the best, but I have to say a nice fruity beer every now and then does go down well, especially on a hot day. I'm also a big bourbon drinker.

2015-01-08 11:37 AM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

First workout of 2015 complete finally!, went for a swim after work last night, and I tell ya, there where a lot of things conspiring to make me not do the workout...

first off: it was -30 degrees C and after 10.7 hours of working I was feeling a lot like just going home to my warm couch, netflix and a big bowl of popcorn!

second: no one was at the desk for the pool and it looked like they had a divider in the middle of the pool and no lanes open for laps, one guys walked in a said 'looks like its a free swim tonight and just went in, my morals got the best of me and I stood around waiting for the teenager to re-occupy his post, he assured me there were lanes open, they just had them in the deep end, he punched my card and I go to change.'

So with some pretty sore and irritated eyes, I finished 40 laps, and it felt glourious!

of course all my soap and toiletries are completely frozen solid in my bag!!! Who cares.... I'm back folks!

Way to get it done!!! There were a lot of things standing in the way of that workout, but you pushed through!
2015-01-08 11:38 AM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm trying to learn mobile site!

Sounds like some goods workouts! I promise to start next week. I'm on my third flight of the week and am not doing well- I have done yoga a few times but 4:45 wake up calls and airports have sapped my energy. Two more days and I'm home for a month.

How do the challenges usually work? I need a challenge!
2015-01-08 11:58 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I'm at 5 workouts for the month (missed the first few days with a terrible neck spasm that caused terrible pain every time I moved my head).

30 min trainer ride this morning with high RPM intervals.

I really need to sit down and figure out my training plan for the next three months. I am going back to Egypt in late March for four weeks and want to do a spring tri the week after I get back. It isn't the best timing, but I leave again for another month shortly thereafter and will miss a large chunk of the early race season. I need to sit down and figure out what is possible.

2015-01-08 12:45 PM

User image

, Connecticut
wow, thank you for the great suggestions! I can only imagine what I will look like to a fly on the wall but I'm going to try it. The rolling up the socks is genius! Thanks!
2015-01-08 2:56 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Both!

I just got back from my PT appointment. This guy, who I respect more than I can express moved heaven and earth to help me to get to the start line of IMMT last year. He really pushed me tonight about my weight gain and about my activity levels and drive. They were hard words and I needed to hear them... My body has regressed back to the point it was 14 months ago before I stated working with him. He told me that I couldn't run again until I dropped 15 pounds and to make that happen he challenged me to work out for 21 days straight. I can aqua jog, swim, or bike. So starting tomorrow, I'll be getting up early to head to the pool.

Coors Lite Penalty if I fail.

Who's with me?

You got this! Plan EVERYTHING, fuel, time and training. You have done it before and you can accomplish this again!
2015-01-08 3:00 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by Qua17

The alarm went off at 5 and was in the pool by 5:30. 250 yards... Day 1 of the 21 day workout challenge - Done!

SAAAAAwwweeet! One day at a time!
2015-01-08 3:02 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by Qua17 The alarm went off at 5 and was in the pool by 5:30. 250 yards... Day 1 of the 21 day workout challenge - Done!

Alarm went off at 4:30am(frig!). On the track for a 2.5mile run followed by on the bike for 30 minutes. DONE!

Woot Woot! You are inspirational!
2015-01-08 3:05 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

You are a better man then me... I have not been in the pool since....a long time. Made it to the hot tub today though...

Originally posted by MOlsen

Originally posted by Qua17 The alarm went off at 5 and was in the pool by 5:30. 250 yards... Day 1 of the 21 day workout challenge - Done!

Alarm went off at 4:30am(frig!). On the track for a 2.5mile run followed by on the bike for 30 minutes. DONE!

Nice start, both of you!

Yesterday I only managed 500 yards in the pool, my shoulder was nagging me and I didn't want to push it too much. Today I went for an easy pace 4 mile run.

Well I have been to the pool twice, once last week and once this week at 5:30 am. I too did only a few hundred yards...maybe 800 but not because of any injuries but because I am so out of shape!

2015-01-08 3:09 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Great job on the workouts, everyone!! I am living vicariously through you for a bit. The back is better but as it turns out, that knee that has been bugging me...tendinitis. My PT said it's okay to try some light biking on my trainer but not to put it on the highest gear. Run a mile, roll, run another mile and call it a day. It looks like I will be doing a lot of swimming over the next month - not that that's such a bad thing. I start teaching next week for the spring semester so that will at least keep me on my feet moving. Silver lining...
On the beer front....a dear friend is turning 40 - she is friends with the guy who owns Switchback Brewery...we're throwing her a surprise themed birthday party at the brewery's tap room!! Beeeeer!! Ah, good times. Saturday night I will be dressed as Stevie Nicks plugging down some good beer with my hubby dressed as Geddy Lee. (That's for you guys north of the border!)

Sounds like fun! Saw RUSH last year in Vegas...it was awesome but I couldn't figure out why there were so many old guys there and then I looked at my husband and realized oh yeah we are all old; old only in body not my mind or spirit!
2015-01-08 3:11 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Need clarification on a CLP.

Today's plan was a speed workout, however after 4 consecutive days of workouts including my first group ride since June, the body was a little beat up. Skipped the planned training and went for a 45 minute walk with the wife. So, CLP or not and does the walk keep my streak alive?

I'll start the weight loss challenge:

Start - 1/2/15 - 295.8

Goal - 1/11/15 - 290

No worries on the CLP...no CLP for listening to your body and knowing when to pull back to not risk injury! Good for you walking instead!
2015-01-08 3:19 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

wait...do we have popcorn?

Way to get it done with the cards stacked against you!
2015-01-08 3:20 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I'm at 5 workouts for the month (missed the first few days with a terrible neck spasm that caused terrible pain every time I moved my head).

I really need to sit down and figure out my training plan for the next three months. I am going back to Egypt in late March for four weeks and want to do a spring tri the week after I get back. It isn't the best timing, but I leave again for another month shortly thereafter and will miss a large chunk of the early race season. I need to sit down and figure out what is possible.

Just me being nosey but what do you do in Egypt?
2015-01-08 3:26 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Sorry to alway blow up the forum in spurts;

Anywho here are my numbers

Weight:
Jan 1 159
Jan 8, 158

I have trained every day since Sunday, two runs a swim and strength. And as most of you know by strength I mean hot yoga. But that class is stinkin hard and I am so sore today! The instructor had us doing a tough flow and as my body shook trying to maintain the pose, she grinned and asked if I missed her? pfff.

2015-01-08 4:15 PM
in reply to: Syndiethea

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Syndiethea

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Just me being nosey but what do you do in Egypt?

I'm a bioarchaeologist (and forensic anthropologist, but that has nothing to do with Egypt). I study the skeletal remains of the residents of the ancient city where Akhenaten and Nefertiti ruled and where King Tut was born (Tell el-Amarna, archaeological Akhetaten) in an effort to better understand what life was like for people living at that city in that time period.
2015-01-08 4:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Getting it done! Solid way to get going again.
2015-01-08 6:29 PM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Smiley9188

I just figured out how to use this forum, my apologies for joining then being silent. So I've been working out and have an indoor tri next weekend. It's a 10 minute swim, 30 minute guided spin and 20 minute run. Feels like a mini sprint to me. So, has anyone done an indoor tri before? I have a 10 minute transition that I'm hoping to change from my suit to dry clothes. Is that enough time? Anyone have tips?

Also, while I'm not training hard right now I'm staving lately. Aside from hard boiled eggs what are some good protein packed, non processed snacks that you eat?

Oh! And I bought some goo for next weekend. I've never used it. Should I try it out before the race day? I'm freaked out about eating that stuff- after all, it's called goo... Or just give it a go race day if I feel low fuel and hope I don't vomit?

I Swam a strong 20 minutes tonight. Up at 6am for a 3 mile treadmill run tomorrow morning, sadly this will be my first indoor Thursday morning run of the winter but the feels like temps where I am are expected to be -16. Too cold for outside running.

That indoor sprint sounds like fun! I can't wait to hear how it goes.

I echo what fifth said about trying out the gu before the race. If you don't like that - you could always try Cliff bloks. I think they're great!

As for high protein snack foods - I'm a huge hummus fan - so much protein... I also like greek yogurt that I mix with with wife's home made granola.

Keep it up - you're doing great!

2015-01-08 8:08 PM
in reply to: #5081191

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mmm Cliff Bloks. My only warning is- just because the margarita ones are good on afternoon mtn bike rides does not mean they will still taste good to you at 8AM. Blech!

I'm also glad someone was nosey enough to ask the Egypt question!
2015-01-08 8:10 PM
in reply to: #5081424

User image

Extreme Veteran
Also, how do you create the signature with your name?

Thanks!
Kate

2015-01-08 9:21 PM
in reply to: #5081426

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Cliff shot blocks are my endurance fuel if choice, by far.

GU is fine, when they are free, on the aid station table.

You are all doing awesome! Getting up early/getting it done after work. Good stuff gang!!!!

I've been going easy, but often. I'm ready for spring! This cold weather is a real bummer. I'm going to order some new swim gear now, and add in some swimming a couple days a week, next week.

Jan 1 = 245
Jan 8 = 244
2015-01-08 10:48 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

I like your style. Way to go on the workout and the weight loss.

2015-01-08 11:03 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Weight Jan 1: 202.3 beefy
Weight Jan 8: 198.1 a few lbs. lighter.

I had been down to 187 prior to Decembers indulgences.

Looking forward to being in the 170's again one day.

I about killed myself this morning on my run. 2 near misses (not that bad) with moving cars at 05:30. The snow and ice plowed on the side of roads/sidewalks was murder. I got 6.2 miles in this morning. I'm still very fatigued from my long run this past Sunday. This seems weird to me so many days later. Next week is recovery. Hoping to get through my long run this Sunday without incident.

Lots of good dialogue on the board. Keep up the good work/workouts. You get out what you put into it.
2015-01-09 4:06 AM

I'd love to join this group! Quick bio: almost 50 year old chick, living and teaching in a Vietnam beach city, about to give up smokes but refusing to give up beer (my God, it's 80 cents a can here) and aiming for a 2016 full Ironman. I can swim until the cows come home, have access to a very large ocean and many hotel pools, a great bike route and running areas. Used to run, but my knees and I will have a few serious talks about that. Over beer. Or wine. On the beach. If you're accepting, I'm applying.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 56087 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.