Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-05-28 9:38 PM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
Oh wow. I'm also a mom of a 3 and 5 year old, and I cringed when I read your story about the teeth. I hope he's okay! Good luck with the doctor tomorrow. I consider myself lucky not having gone through anything traumatic like that with my girls (knock on wood, and not with kids' teeth...)

On the training note, I have a few questions. First of all, how often do you all hit a rut of just not wanting to do anything, and what do you do to get out of it? I hit one on Friday, and it took a lot for me to get back into it Saturday but I did it. Just curious what you do to get back up and running again.

Question two, and I'm almost afraid to ask...but I must. If you are in a race and you realize we REALLY have to pee when on your bike, do you pull over? For guys, I know this is a different answer and I know you are just lucky that you can whip it out (excuse the term). But for girls, we can't just pull over and drop trou in the trees...

I started thinking about this -- I went to the bathroom right before I went out this morning and then went for a 17 mile bike ride, but must have had a lot of water before I left because by the time I got back, I really had to go! I couldn't imagine having to race a century!

So, do we do the dreaded "pee on our bike and hope no one notices" act???? Yuck!

2007-05-28 9:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Kat:

Nice Ride! What are your specs on the bike? Do you have a 12-25 cassette?

Love your little puppy!

I hear your vent! I've had success with being sure to be very disciplined. It isn't easy, trust me I know! I have seen the decrease in fat percentage, but not necessarily in weight. Decreasing body fat and increasing lean muscle is counter to loosing overall weight. Take solice in that you are building a healthy machine and a long term solution to gaining weight due to fat. It may not help "in the now", but it will later.

Rich
2007-05-28 9:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Angela

I hope your little superman is alright! I agree that just reading the story sends shivers up the spin. Hope all goes well at the dentist tomorrow!

Rich
2007-05-28 10:00 PM
in reply to: #819730

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Andi! Good Questions!!!!!

"First of all, how often do you all hit a rut of just not wanting to do anything, and what do you do to get out of it? I hit one on Friday, and it took a lot for me to get back into it Saturday but I did it. Just curious what you do to get back up and running again. "

When was the last time you took a day off. I try to take a day off every seventh day. This is where you listen to your body and what your body is telling you. You must be tired.... I rode Saturday hard and fast. I rode Sunday, but it was a struggle. I took today off. I thought that it would be counter productive and my run wouldn't be "focused". With rest, family time, distractions put aside, I'll have a more focused and productive workout tomorrow. It is OK to take off a day here and there. Remember you are a Mom, co-bread winner", wife, and triathlete. It is understandable if you take a day off.

Question two, and I'm almost afraid to ask...but I must. If you are in a race and you realize we REALLY have to pee when on your bike, do you pull over?

Most rest fueling stations will also have porta potties or restrooms along the route. There may be lines, but if ya gotta go, ya gotta go! Right?!?! If you were competitive and in the lead, you wouldn't stop and you would just go while on the bike. I think there are plenty of opportunities though on most race routes to use conventional methods of releaving one's self.

Rich
2007-05-29 8:31 AM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Whew, that's good. Thanks, Rich! I am glad to hear that about pitstops along the way.

As far as the rest days, yes, I do take them. I guess the day I was unmotivated, that was a day that my body was telling me to take a break! I did feel better after a few days.

I'm looking forward to my day off tomorrow, too! I worked hard all weekend, and have our team swim practice tonight at 7:45 (and that's an hour drive away from me). It will be a late night, but I want to go so I can pick up some more good technique pointers.

Have a good day everyone!
2007-05-29 11:20 AM
in reply to: #819730

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Cyclingmaniac - 2007-05-28 9:41 PM Hey Kat: Nice Ride! What are your specs on the bike? Do you have a 12-25 cassette?

Yup!  Here are the specs, you cycling maniac you! Oh, and I think I'm going to name her Riona...it means either "queenly" or is a shortened form of Catriona which is the gaelic form of my name! I'll live with it for a while and see if it sticks....

Frame: ZR 9000 w/TCT Carbon seat stays
Fork: Bontrager, carbon
Wheels: Bontrager Select (I have Armadillo tires on them right now)
Shifters: Shimano 105 STI, 10 speed
Front Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra (triple)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra
Crank: Bontager Race
Cassette: Shimano 105 12-25, 10 speed
Saddle: Dolce
Seat Post: Bontager Carbon
Handlebars: Bongrager Select w/BzzzzKill, 31.8mm (I added aerobars)
Stem: Bontrage Select, 7 degree, 31.8mm
Headset: Cane Creek Internal, sealed, alloy
Brakeset: Cane Creek 3 w/Shimano 105 STI levers
Extras: Bontrager BzzzKill harmonic dampers by Matthews

2007-05-29 12:05 PM

User image

Houston
Well it has been a wet weekend to say the least. Rain all weekend boooooo
I didnt really do anything except detox from 180 days of 8 year old kids!!
Kinda fell off the wagon with my food choices, but I an back on my plan this morning!!
2007-05-29 12:26 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago

I just wanted to pop in and say that I had a really bad weekend on the bike. I'd argue it was my first "official" ride...since...oh, I was about 12.

A few things I noticed...

My feet/toes were tingling after a few miles. And it was really annoying. I absolutely HATE that sensation. Seriously freaks me out. What can I be doing to avoid this? What am I doing to cause this?

Being slow is really discouraging. Kenyans can run faster than I can bike. I'm embarassed to admit that it took me nearly two hours to go just under 16 miles. Absolutely. Frickin. Pathetic. When I was 8 miles out, I was so annoyed that I really just wanted to run back to the car rather than ride.

Changing gears? What a joke!!! I really need to get a clue on this front. My left hand isn't strong at all and I couldn't get it to change over if my life depended on it. Not sure how to best handle any type of "hills" I encounter (and the path I was on was basically flat with the exception of a few bridges)...do I put it in a higher gear and grind my way up while out of the seat, or should I be lower and quickly spin my way up the incline? Is it personal preference? When when someone says "switch to a lower gear"...do they mean change it so it's less resistance or more?

What do I need to be focusing on when I bike? Just pedaling was mind numbing and I didn't feel like I was making progress. But when I thought about pulling up on my legs (rather than push/pedal) it felt better and I noticed I went faster, even if it was just a little bit.

Form is another thing I've gotta get under control. While in what I thought was the proper positioning, my neck, shoulder, hands and forearms all ached. I tried loosening up to "dance" with the bike, so to speak. But nothing felt exceptionally comfortable. My husband suggested gloves to help my hands, which were bright red on the fleshy part between my thumb and index finger. Are there benefits to getting a pair?

The only redeeming factor to Sunday's ride? I didn't fall off. And I managed not to kill anyone, which I suppose is a nice bonus. But I definitely wasn't nourished enough to sustain a brick workout (bad call on my part). And I felt so deflated after the ride that I just wanted to go home.

Please tell me this gets easier...while riding I was strongly considering boycotting the whole idea of triathlons and the 70.3 next year.

I know I'll get over this ride. Everyone has bad rides, just like everyone has bad runs. I'm just frustrated! My husband kept saying how easy it would be...I guess I had off-kilter expectations. And now that I've confirmed cycling is by and far my weakest point...I can only improve...I mean...it can't get much worse. Right?

For now, I'm just looking forward to lacing up my running shoes again tonight. 6 miles with 10x100 strides are on the schedule.

2007-05-29 12:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Andi!

Good to hear you are feeling better today after a few days off. Sometimes, ya just have to take the time off. It could have been you were run down, fighting something, your nutrition just wasn't quite right, physically you were tired or mentally you were tired. This is what I mean when I say "listen to your body". You did which is GREAT. Your body was telling you that you needed the break. It probably would have been counterproductive to try and power through any planned workouts. Soooo, you did good!

I'm glad I helped releave (pun intended) any fears about going to the bathroom while on the bike.

Have a GREAT swim workout. Interested in hearing what they have to say (i.e. tips and tricks).

Rich

2007-05-29 12:55 PM
in reply to: #820450

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Riona is an EXCELLENT name, KAT! Nice specs! You should have a GREAT ride on that queenly bike!

Have some GREAT rides!

Rich
2007-05-29 12:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
hey guys,

we all had a bunch of stuff going this weekend. Sorry about the little one Angie, he will be fine!
This weekend was a dissaster. one flat tire in the middle of" Lebanon missouri", rain and trhuderstorm, one lane traffic and missed my flight by 5 minutes...most of all i did 0 training and ate like a pig.

i've never felt this guilty for anything in my life.even though I walked A LOT in museums and outside and downtown, i still didn't swim or bike. I feel aweful. On a good note, I did hear all about my friend and her husbands triathlon training, to the point that it was the main focus of the entire weeekend. By the end of it my friends were like :" ok guys, seriously lets talk about something other than triathlons" so we did, and then somehow we would end up there again. So my friends decided they would talk about martial arts the same way we talk about tri's!

Anyways, gotta go, but i missed you guys and training. it sucks to not train!!!!

2007-05-29 1:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Ooooooooohhhh Derek!

You deserved to fall off the wagon for a couple of days to recover from a classroom of 8 year olds! OMG! You are a saint!!

OK.....that's over! (Accountability time!) Time to start working on qualifying for nationals, right?!?! Time to get seriously wet and then get some time on the bike! (Do you hear the whip cracking!) Times a wasting.....if that doesn't get you going, this might....... before you know it, you will be facing a classroom of 8 year olds again! You need to get into some mind numbing, zoned in training to stave off the thoughts of facing 8 year olds for a couple of months.

(I am glad you survived the school year!)

Rich

2007-05-29 1:24 PM
in reply to: #820601

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Barb!

CONGRATULATIONS.....you didn't fall off your bike with your clip-ons! That is a big hurdle and you should recognize that as a much bigger success than just a bonus!

Barb brings up quite a few biking items in her previous post that we could all learn from:

EQUIPMENT: You need for your training the following:
* Helmet
* Shoes
* Glasses (windshields)
* Gloves
(Don't for get the bike)

Note: If I do a sprint, I don't bother putting on the gloves. They slow me down in the transition. My handlebar tape is padded sufficiently that I can go without the gloves for 12 to18 miles.

Nutrition: (On the bike and during triathlons)
As a guideline, you need between 250 and 300 calories per hour in sports drink, nutrition bars, Cliff shots, GU, or any other form of nutrition that you like. On Oly courses (when it is hot) and HIM distances, I also carry beef jerky (for the salt replacement). Start trying different products to see what agrees with your stomach. Some products may upset your stomach while other products and combinations work really well.

Gearing:
Learning how to shift the gears is very important....so back to the parking lot. This is a great place to just go through the range of gears and to get use to shifting. You were dead-on when it comes to going up a hill. Select the gear where it is easy for you to spin the pedals up the hill. I have a 20 speed on my bike and I use every single one of them on a bike ride. Don't be afraid to use them, that is why they are there.

Generally speaking:
* On flat or level portions of the course, I use the big ring in front and the smaller rings in back. My cadence (if you have a computer) is somewhere around 85 to 89. I try to keep my cadence in the area of 85 to 95 rpms.

* On climbs, I follow the same guideline on the rpm (85 to 95) on modest hills (less than 3% grade). My cadence does drop down to 60s and 70s on steeper hills (I'm weight challenged!)

Barb: With respect to being slow, don't be worried about this. Your husband is right, it will get easier. Use that route that you used this weekend to periodically demonstrate your progress. This was your first time out, so give yourself a break. You are going to train a different set or combination of muscles to work together that haven't worked together before or in a very long time. This will take a little time. The secret is to get out on your bike more and more. Even if it is for short rides. Even if it is daily. Volume of riding (after learning the gearing) will help you tremendously.

You'll do an awesome job!

Rich

2007-05-29 1:31 PM
in reply to: #820667

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
HOOKED! That's all I can say, Caru! You are hooked!

Don't feel badly about not working out.....walking counts! Soooo, what did you learn from your friends about training? I bet you got some insight! So, I'll make it easy for you:

What three things are you doing that they are doing?

What three things would you like to incorporate into your training?

Where there any "aaaah-haaaaa" moments?

Answering the above three questions will be your penance for not working out!

Rich
2007-05-29 1:45 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Hey Barb! Hang in there! At least you have an awesome sense of humor about the whole thing...I've been giggling in my cube at work reading your entry (and I know I shouldn't laugh at your struggles, but you are FUNNY!). I also checked out your blog, it is amazing! You have put so much work into it, and it is VERY impressive!

I'm sure that this setback is like any sport. This sounds lame, but I can't help but compare it to golf (a game I love). Some days you are just spot on with your swing and can do no wrong, and other times you just want to throw your clubs in the water because you can't make a shot.

It's the good days that keep me going in golf and the reason why I keep coming back again and again. I'm sure the same goes for this challenge too! Just know that it's the ebb and flow and this funk too shall pass!

2007-05-29 1:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami

Absolutely hooked- we even watched different videos on youtube.. my favorite "team Hoyt " video, and that girl that did the ironman as a thesis (1994?95) and came in second place but like crawling to the race line- VERy inspirational .

What three things are you doing that they are doing?

-watching what I eat
-have a training schedule for the next 5 months
-read research races and the sport
-* Talking about triathlons 24/7 is OK.

What three things would you like to incorporate into your training?

-More long distance running
-Running in other terrain including hills (bridges here in miami)
-learn about the different parts of a bike.

Where there any "aaaah-haaaaa" moments?
-My friends husband explained drafting very well, as well as transition time donts and do's. I have to try and use those shoe laces for race day, because they didn't work very well for my friend. I have to think more about what other aaa moments, because I know there were a couple more.

Also, he said I would have no problem doing the sprint, so that was good to hear.

I am still running and swimming tonight..... still feeling guilty ...

2007-05-29 2:31 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Caru...you junky!

Derek, I was just in Houston this past weekend, and it poured buckets of rain on us!  Let's hope for some sunshine in Texas. 

Barb, Hang in there.  I'm so proud of you for using clips and staying up-right!  I don't even have clips on my bike because I'm too chicken to try it.  Kudos to you.  I feel the same way about swimming right now.  It's tough for me, and I'm soooo slow.  I just want to feel comfortable in the water and not drown!  I'm no dolphin...yet.

Rich, thanks for the biking tips.  Husband fixed my bike and as soon as the sheets of rain stop...I'll take her for a spin. 

Angela

2007-05-29 6:18 PM
in reply to: #820789

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
I use the Yankz shoe laces. I set them and all I have to do is slip them on! My T2 which included a 100 yd dash with my bike across the width of the transition area was 1 minute 49 seconds. A friend who was supporting me saw me coming in from the bike ride, ran the width of the transition area to get a picture of me coming out of the run gate..... never saw me come out..... can you say "GONE"!!!!!!!!

Up until this season, I kneeled down and tied my shoes..... NO MORE! I'm sold!

Rich!
The faster speedier guy in T2!
2007-05-29 6:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
I thought it might be helpful to locate some articles on pedalling technique and cadence. My preferred article is the 2nd one. (I know the author and is our training director for the tri team I belong to.)

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/cycling/14820.asp

http://www.cruciblefitness.com/etips/PedalingTech.htm

http://www.bicyclesource.com/you/road/road-cadence.shtml

Let me know if you want me to provide more articles like these for other triathlon aspects.

Rich
2007-05-29 6:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Weightloss Articles provided by BT
I wanted to provide you with the links (in case you didn't see them) on Triathlons and Weight Loss. These are good solid articles worth a read and worth saving to go back to when you find yourself frustrated.

Part 1: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...
Part 2: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...
Part 3: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...
Part 4: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Rich
2007-05-29 9:21 PM
in reply to: #821324

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

I totally agree on the Yankz shoelaces - they are SO worth it! I need all the help I can get in transition, so this was one of the first tidbits of advice I followed from my other tri buddies.

By the way, Rich, I did those hill repeats on my bike for the first time this evening......ow ow ow OW OW OW OW!!! Whose bright idea was that anyway?!?! (oh yeah...mine)

2007-05-29 11:02 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago

Soooo....yeah.

The hubby and I just registered for another tri.

I must be crazy for signing up for another one without having the first under my belt.

Harbor Lights...here we come!

2007-05-29 11:59 PM
in reply to: #821587

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Barb, you just have the tri bug!!! Soooo just admit it and go for it! You know you just WANT to do this so bad, you just haven't admitted to yourself. So let's begin the 12 Step Program of Triathletes! The first step is acknowledgement. Now say to yourself "I am a triathlete and I'm hooked!" Repeat it over and over! LOL!

Rich
2007-05-30 12:00 AM
in reply to: #821495

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Love Hill Repeats.... they hurt so good, KAT! Good for you!

Rich
2007-05-30 12:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Review of Training Logs
As you all know, holiday weekends can be a disaster for training! With that in mind, you guys ROCKED! Good Job Everyone! Here is some feedback for each of you!

Andi: Liked your workout variety and rotation: Saturday (Run); Sunday (Swim); and Monday (Bike). You may consider looking at one day per week and doubling up (i.e. do two disciplines in one day.)

Angela: How is your neck and back? Please have your doc check your neck and back out. Man, you are having a rough week! How's your son's teeth? With respect to your swimming, capitalize on the swimmer that helped you! Ask him for other tips and tricks!

Barb: Your workouts are looking good as are your nutrition choices! GOOD JOB! Don't forget to have protein with each of your meals.

Caru: Good that you got the Spin Classes in on Thursday and Friday before you left. Walking counts, too! Four hours in museums! Phew!

Derek: Swim workouts are looking good! When weather clears, start getting on the bike! On the runs, start out easy, especially if you haven't done a lot of running. Start with relative perceived efforts (RPE) of 2 to 3. If you have a HR monitor, keep the HR low.

Christine: Good hat you got some variety of activities in! Time to kick up your training for the June 23rd Phili Ins. Spring Tri!

Again! You guys are doing an AWESOME job! Keep it up!

Rich
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46