BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian and the Tri Tarts Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2008-01-03 8:31 AM
in reply to: #1089758

Veteran
New Jersey
Subject: RE: mbmoran2's group -- CLOSED.
i dunno if i could come up with a good list of things you'll need, but here's one (cheap) thing you may not have thought of - keep around an extra swim cap. it SUCKS if you break one while training and don't have another one on hand.

2008-01-03 8:43 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

You get swim caps with the race packets, so just one extra till you get racing since you'll find loads in the bags as you race...

Bike, shoes (running/bike  if using clipless), race belt (nice not essential), goggles, sunglasses for the bike/run...I'll look in my book later for a full list (Joe Friel's "Your First Triathalon"

I'm rethinking my goals for this year, doubting the time/energy to train properly for HIM so I may just do a couple longer sprints and an OLY

Judi

2008-01-03 11:58 AM
in reply to: #1130352

User image

Expert
Virginia

I already have 2 swim caps, so I'm good to go with that.  I never thought about sunglasses, but it makes sense...and now it makes me have another concern.  I wear glasses/contacts right now.  I usually swim sans contacts and just wear my goggles.  I can see well enough to swim in a straight line to a wall and turn around, which since I'm just doing pool swims for tris this year is fine.  I guess my initial plan was to throw the glasses on during TI and get on the bike.  I don't have sunglasses.  Is this what most people do or is it better to swim in contacts?  When I run road races, I tend to lean towards contacts, but I figured trying to put in contacts at T1 would be pretty hilarious.  I think my only fear about swimming in contacts is if they would irritate me should I get water in my goggles.  Anyone else here wear glasses? 

Judi, would you recommend that book as a good one for a first timer?  I've seen SO many books out there about tris...I'm a tad overwhelmed.   

2008-01-03 1:15 PM
in reply to: #1130938

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
I swim in contacts - because I'm blind as a bat without 'em...

In fact, I probably wear contacts 18+ hours a day (shhhh...don't tell my eye doctor).

I have not had any problem swimming in them - I wear goggles and even if I get some water in my goggles, it hasn't affected my lenses at all. There's been threads on BT about rinsing your contacts after swimming to avoid some nasty thing, but I'm too lazy and never do it and haven't encountered anything bad. At least in the year I've been swimming. At races, I just throw on sunglasses (non-rx, cheapies) in T1 to bike in.

One other thing that is not a must-have, but I really appreciate are biking gloves. I don't race in them ('cause I've only done sprints), but I like to train in them. They aren't terribly expensive and make bike riding a wee bit more comfortable.

2008-01-03 7:07 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Kim,

It's definitely worth the read because it helps break down the whole concept of how to train/periodize. It includes plans for a sprint tri training which are rather bare bones.  You may be able to locate it at a library or through a tri club.  I think DH got mine at "Books a MIllion" fairly cheap though.  Friel's books are pretty much standard reads from what I have seen when investigating tris.

Judi

2008-01-03 7:34 PM
in reply to: #1130264

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

kimmitri408 - 2008-01-03 8:03 AM I'm probably going to buy a hybrid or entry level road bike.  Kind of like you guys mentioned...I'm starting with nada for a triathlon except running shoes.  And reading these posts on here makes me wonder...what is a newbie's shopping list for their first tri?  I know I still need a bike and in the next month or two, I've got to get new running shoes b/c mine are older and have a lot of miles on them.  But what are the other basics that I need for a sprint tri?  I would love to figure this out now, so I can spread the expenses out.

I found this list on the BT web site and thought it would be helpful.  I don't have everything on this list (e.g. race wheels ), but I did see a few other things at the relay I went to last year, including a small bucket with H20 to clean the sand off your feet, a stool to sit on to put on your socks and shoes, and a towel to lay everything out.  I think a big transition bag is helpful too.  I went into my duathlon thinking I was so prepared and came out of each tranistion around 400th place! My husband told me I was socializing too much, LOL! Lots to learn, but having fun in the process.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Misc/pre_race_gear_check.htm

As far as contacts go, I wore mine all summer practicing in OW with no issues.  I do tend to take them out after OW swimming though.  In this case, I would probably clean them or change into glasses at the end of the race.

Suzy

PS If possible, I would get an entry level road bike.  The weight of the road bike will be much appreciated on some of those hills.

2008-01-04 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Michiana

I think we need a better group name.   How about "Brian and the BT Beauties."  Other suggestions for the title of our group.  Anything would be better than "mbmoran2's group -- CLOSED."

2008-01-04 12:51 PM

User image

Champion

I hesitate to call myself a beauty, but would settle for group conscensus.  How about we open it up to the group?

Ideas

BT Bombs, BT Bombers, Brats,

Tri Tarts,

2008-01-04 3:17 PM

Veteran
New Jersey
haha i like 'tri tarts'
2008-01-04 4:23 PM

User image

Expert
Michiana
Subject: RE: Brian and the Tri Tarts Group - Full
I like Tri Tarts too!
2008-01-04 6:05 PM

User image

Champion

Oh good, I made a positive contribution for the day!

Train hard while I am away Tri Tarts, you too Brian.  No slacking.

2008-01-04 6:07 PM

Veteran
New Jersey
haha woohoo!!!! i'm a proud member of the tri tarts team!!!
2008-01-04 7:13 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Gee, I didn't get to voice an opinion...not to worry cause I'm digging this
2008-01-05 1:10 PM

User image

Expert
Virginia

haha i love the new name

had my first swim class of the new set of lessons today and it was really good.  we did drills today  to focus on improving our roll while rotary breathing and then worked on backstroke.  my backstroke is getting a lot better!  i'm excited though, i think this session will be really good because the class is small and we are all on a very similar level.  

today, i'm going to go to borders and pick up that book on first triathlons, i'm excited to get reading!

2008-01-05 7:41 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Hi, I checked out www.setupevents.com  tonight. They changed the format of the Patriots weekend.  They still have the HIM going on Saturday but are doing an OLY and a full sprint on Sunday.  Given my insecurities about really being able to do the HIM (that swim scares the snot out of me cause I get panickey in OWS) I opted for the OLY.  Last year the sprint was a ladies only mini sprint (500m-10 miles-2 miles) but this year it's a full sprint (750m, 20 K, 5 K) and open to all.  They've limited registration for the OLY/sprint race to 800 people so if any of the VA group wants to do this you should sign up soon
2008-01-05 7:50 PM
in reply to: #1136423

User image

Champion
zipp1 - 2008-01-05 8:41 PM

Hi, I checked out www.setupevents.com  tonight. They changed the format of the Patriots weekend.  They still have the HIM going on Saturday but are doing an OLY and a full sprint on Sunday.  Given my insecurities about really being able to do the HIM (that swim scares the snot out of me cause I get panickey in OWS) I opted for the OLY.  Last year the sprint was a ladies only mini sprint (500m-10 miles-2 miles) but this year it's a full sprint (750m, 20 K, 5 K) and open to all.  They've limited registration for the OLY/sprint race to 800 people so if any of the VA group wants to do this you should sign up soon

Thanks for the info, Judi - I might consider the oly...I'll watch the signup to make sure I don't get shut out.

And I'm LOVING LOVING LOVING the new name. Groovy!

2008-01-06 7:12 AM

User image

Champion

Hi All

My DH and I arrived in Mexico last night.  Of course, we were up very early and out late so I am a little whipped.  Looking for a 10m run this morning and then a day of lounging.

Looks like everyone's training is going well.  Only Brian hasn't weighed in on how things are going! Hmmmm, is it possible the tarts are working harder than the mentor .

See ya.

2008-01-06 2:12 PM
in reply to: #1136869

User image

Expert
Michiana

Hey gang.  I was away from home all day yesterday.  The kids had indoor soccer in the morning.  Then, we drove to Chicago (Museum of Science and Industry) and had too much Pizza at my sister's.  Drove home late with the kids sleeping in their seats.

I did have a major work-out this morning.  I hooked up with the local runners for a long run.  Well, it turned out longer (15mi) and faster (8:15/mi) than I planned.  Now, I'm cooked!!  This is one of those do as I say, not as I do.  Rest day tomorrow for sure!

Fortunately, next week is one of those drop back weeks - only three runs with the longest 6-7 miles.

Edited by mbmoran2 2008-01-06 2:15 PM
2008-01-06 5:55 PM
in reply to: #1137229

User image

Champion

Nice job Mentor!

Maybe a swim tomorrow just to loosen things up?

2008-01-06 8:26 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Now I'm really confused about training plans.  The OLY has 2x/d 6 days a week (12 workouts) but the HIM plan has 2/day x3days, and single x 3 days (9 workouts).  How does doing a shorter race have MORE workouts each week in the plan?  The OLY plan is 16 weeks, HIM is a 20 week.

Also, if I decide after doing the late July OLY that I really can handle the HIM distance and have set up change my registration would it be better if   I just keep the HIM plan as the working plan??  If I stick with 2 OLY's where in the plan should I resume training after the first OLY to rebuild for the second?  These races are about 6 weeks apart.

Overall, my goals for this season are 1. Get more comfortable in long OWS situations, 2. Build a stronger run base 3. Get more time in the saddle.  I want to train smart with a training plan because I'm sure it's better than doing what the mood strikes when I go out the door.  The people who have designed these plans have a whole lot more expertise than me so they have to know a lot more too (that doesn't take much these days)

Thanks,

Judi

2008-01-07 10:03 AM
in reply to: #1137804

User image

Expert
Michiana
zipp1 - 2008-01-06 9:26 PM

Now I'm really confused about training plans.  The OLY has 2x/d 6 days a week (12 workouts) but the HIM plan has 2/day x3days, and single x 3 days (9 workouts).  How does doing a shorter race have MORE workouts each week in the plan?  The OLY plan is 16 weeks, HIM is a 20 week.

Also, if I decide after doing the late July OLY that I really can handle the HIM distance and have set up change my registration would it be better if   I just keep the HIM plan as the working plan??  If I stick with 2 OLY's where in the plan should I resume training after the first OLY to rebuild for the second?  These races are about 6 weeks apart.

Overall, my goals for this season are 1. Get more comfortable in long OWS situations, 2. Build a stronger run base 3. Get more time in the saddle.  I want to train smart with a training plan because I'm sure it's better than doing what the mood strikes when I go out the door.  The people who have designed these plans have a whole lot more expertise than me so they have to know a lot more too (that doesn't take much these days)

Thanks,

Judi

I suspect that the intensity and duration of the work-outs differ.  Check overall training volume too - HIM probably has more hours per week even with fewer sessions.  I imagine there aren't too many 3hr rides or bricks in the Oly plan.  It may be more practical to have multiple 2x/day when you have a 60min ride and 30 min run.  The longer rides and runs may prohibit the age-grouper (us mortals with jobs, families, homes to maintain) from fitting in a second work-out with regularity.  Can you check with the plan's author?

Well, nowhere in your three goals to you state your desire to finish a HIM or an Oly for that matter...  Take a step back, think about where you are physically, mentally and your work/life situation.  Think about this year in the context of your triathlon "career."  If you have longer term plans to continue triathlon training and racing, there's really no rush to go for the HIM in 2008.

More in regard to the half-iron race.  You've mentioned the apprehension about long OWS.  Really, once you've mastered the Oly, the HIM is not much more of a jump with regard to distance.  During my HIM swim, I never felt like "OMG this is so much harder."  Really its 1,931m vs. 1,500m.  The bike and run really make the difference.  Having a done a marathon and couple of 1/2 marathons was a big help for me.  For the bike, its just lots of time in the saddle for a HIM.  Frankly, I was undertrained for the HIM bike, as my AG rank on the bike was the worst of the three and my run split was a 2:02 vs. 1:41 open 1/2 marathon time.

I'd say (without seeing your training plans) that training for a HIM is quite a bit more to take on.  Those biking hours really add up.  Plus, you need to get ramped up to feeling comfortable running for at least two hours.  Yes, you can do it.  Just understand how the HIM fits in your plan for 2008 and beyond.  I'd also say, you would need to plan for training the HIM long before completing that first Oly.  In either case, defininitely take week 1 to dial back your training and recover from that first race, especially the run.  Then ramp back up for weeks 2-4 then taper week 5 and race week 6.  You can check my logs from last summer where I had 7 weeks between my 1st Oly (6/16) and 1st HIM (8/4).  Keep in mind though, I commited to the HIM 6 months in advance, and completed 2 half-marathons BEFORE the Oly.

2008-01-07 11:39 AM

User image

Expert
Virginia
I have a question...stems from the comments I made about re-planning and Brian's comment on my blog.  How in the world do you guys adjust for rest days.   As long as it's not more than 2 rest days in a row, then I am okay with it.  But how many do I need to have a week in order to stay healthy and good to go?  The plan I picked has only 1 a week, but I suspect I'll feel totally burned out if I do that week in and week out.  How can I adjust for this (and maybe get 2 rest days a week at least) but still get some good training?  How do I change up/combine my training program to make that work?
2008-01-07 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1138932

User image

Champion
kimmitri408 - 2008-01-07 12:39 PM

I have a question...stems from the comments I made about re-planning and Brian's comment on my blog.  How in the world do you guys adjust for rest days.   As long as it's not more than 2 rest days in a row, then I am okay with it.  But how many do I need to have a week in order to stay healthy and good to go?  The plan I picked has only 1 a week, but I suspect I'll feel totally burned out if I do that week in and week out.  How can I adjust for this (and maybe get 2 rest days a week at least) but still get some good training?  How do I change up/combine my training program to make that work?

You might be OK with just one a week, because swimming is different from biking is different from running...(although take what I say with a grain of salt because I HATE rest days...)

If you want more than 1 rest day, you may be able to combine some of your lighter/shorter workouts. For example, if you have a light to medium swim one day and a light run the next day, you maybe able to combine them on one day and take the other as a rest.

Brian's probably better at this than me, but my philosophy is that I will combine 2 easier workouts in one day (unless I'm trying to do a brick or something in preparation for a race). I try not to combine longer or more intense workouts with anything else. Swimming (for me) is the easiest to combine with another workout.
2008-01-07 1:51 PM
in reply to: #1138932

User image

Expert
Michiana

kimmitri408 - 2008-01-07 12:39 PM I have a question...stems from the comments I made about re-planning and Brian's comment on my blog.  How in the world do you guys adjust for rest days.   As long as it's not more than 2 rest days in a row, then I am okay with it.  But how many do I need to have a week in order to stay healthy and good to go?  The plan I picked has only 1 a week, but I suspect I'll feel totally burned out if I do that week in and week out.  How can I adjust for this (and maybe get 2 rest days a week at least) but still get some good training?  How do I change up/combine my training program to make that work?

This is very much an individual thing.  I schedule one rest day per week.  This inevitably turns into two days per week, especailly in this "off-season."  It's tough for me to justify prioritizing 6th and/or 7th days of working out above all other responsibilities 52 weeks a year.

Try to stick with the schedule to the best of your ability.  Keep all your workouts fairly low key.  This is to prevent injury and burn-out.   Also, this enables you to keep it going every day.  IMO its better to have consistent, low-intensity workouts than sporadic, intense sessions that take multiple days to recover from (e.g. check my blog from yesterday ).

Your body will tell you if it's too much.  Getting sick, chronic soreness, trouble sleeping are all indicators that you're pushing too much.

Another thing, is back overall volume down every three to four weeks.  I tend to come back stronger after these weeks.   Schedule "drop-back" or "recovery" weeks where it may only be 3-4 days; preferably around holidays, birthdays, vacations, other personal commitments, etc...  It looks like your plan has these weeks planed on weeks 4,7,14,17.  Maybe knock some volume off of week 10 or 11 depending on persoal commitments at that time.

In summary...

• stay consistent (5-6 days per week or as plan presribes)
  • keep intensity low
  • listen to your body and mind - they're almost always right
  • schedule "drop-back" or "recovery" weeks.
2008-01-07 4:32 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Brian,

Thanks for the insight.  In looking over the plans it does look more intense in the HIM plan. 

My initial goal for the season was the HIM but in retrospect I think I was being overly ambitious with that goal. I had a disaster for my first OWS race and am not that comfortable in OW so the OLY is even ambitious with that bit of history.  My picking up the half mary/planning the full mary are all intended to build the run base.  I'm getting more bike time than before but it's still not at the level it should be. I find myself out of proper position for various reasons which is frustrating because I know I'll only race as well as I train. So sticking with longer sprnts and the OLY seem more reasonable this year. 

When I signed up for my first tri last year it was all to prove to myself that I could do it. In many ways I still sign up for races to prove to myself that I can.  I've never been *athletic* by any standards--until losing the 70 lbs that were attached to my butt Now training is a way to 1. keep the weight off, 2. relieve the stress of a demanding job, 3. I've made a few friends along the way and being newer to this area don't have too many apart from the gym/workouts. (and people at work that I don't hang with) I would get sloppy about training if I didn't have goals to keep me focused that's the main reason I sign up for races.  I also get bored easily so this lets me practice different things without the boredom factor creeping in.

J

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian and the Tri Tarts Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 23